PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Honey Badger Don't Care...

WeaselGuy
2014-09-05, 09:16 AM
So, while watching National Geographic's "Ultimate Honey Badger" show last night with my wife, she decided that for her backup character, she want's a Honey Badger.

Now, not an anthropomorphic/awakened badger (that will be for a different campaign that I'm slowly working on, based on Redwall), but more of some form of character that is playable starting in the level 7-10 range, with, specifically, poison resistance, regeneration, damage reduction, and other fun "tanky" goodies.

Off the top of my head, a Troll Blooded Mineral Warrior Dwarf seems like a good starting point, with maybe levels of Barbarian and Crusader. I remember seeing something around here called "The Legion", which is purported to be basically invincible, and the basics of it would probably be good, but not the full blown concept.

So, any ideas/builds?

*edit* Books allowed are 3.5 PHB, PHB2, DMG, DMG2, DC, All Completes, BoVD/BoED, SS, DL, FR, EB, DotU, MM I-V... basically any published 3.5 book, including Dragon Compendium, but not Dragon Magazine.

ThisIsZen
2014-09-05, 09:19 AM
The Emerald Legion involves a focused eugenics program run by Illithids which breeds War Trolls with undead and other things to template-stack them into nigh-invincibility. I don't think it's really applicable here, to be honest, just 'cause of how convoluted the start-up is for one thing. I don't really have any ideas as to creating a Honey Badger PC but I figured I'd just drop by and mention this.

Diovid
2014-09-05, 09:46 AM
Gnome Barbarian 1 / Ranger 4 / Beastmaster 1 / Animal Lord (Badger Lord) 10 / x with the 4th Gnome Ranger substitution level and the Natural Bond, Extra Rage and Mounted Fury feats?

A badger lord technically does not exist but animal lord does have a note saying the class can be adapted to other animal totems.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-05, 09:48 AM
Troll blooded warforged juggernaut is a good base. Regeneration 1, immunity to almost everything. Just go Fighter 6 / Juggernaut 5 / Barbarian 2 / X

Barbarian is so you can pick up destructive rage. Fighter is for dungeoncrasher. Juggernaut makes you immune to everything under the sun.

You are an unkillable titan who pushes through any barrier, ether flesh or stone.

Flickerdart
2014-09-05, 10:50 AM
Troll blooded warforged juggernaut is a good base.
How do you intend to have a warforged qualify for Troll Blooded? Warforged do not hail from Oerth, never mind the specific regions necessary.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-05, 11:07 AM
Warforged are a race from a monster manual. They can be created anywhere and in theory, exist in all settings. Take a flaw for toughness and you can pick up troll-blooded.

WeaselGuy
2014-09-05, 11:41 AM
Warforged are a race from a monster manual. They can be created anywhere and in theory, exist in all settings. Take a flaw for toughness and you can pick up troll-blooded.

Don't even need the flaw. Bear Totem Barbarian at level 1 gives Toughness as a bonus feat.

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-05, 12:14 PM
Wildren, from the Planar Handbook, are already a badger-flavored humanoid-ish race, though they might not be to taste. Worth a mention, though. They even get a picture or two, which might help sell them (unlike Anthropomorphic Badger).

atemu1234
2014-09-05, 04:27 PM
Wildren, from the Planar Handbook, are already a badger-flavored humanoid-ish race, though they might not be to taste. Worth a mention, though. They even get a picture or two, which might help sell them (unlike Anthropomorphic Badger).

For added flavor, they're also descended from dwarves. And dwarf spirits, at that!

Irk
2014-09-05, 05:21 PM
Awakened badger + Instantaneous Rage + Intimidating Rage. Scary badger. No honey, though. A&EG lists it as 1sp/pint, so you could slather yourself in it while running up to opponents and screaming at them.

MagpieWench
2014-09-05, 10:20 PM
I'm sorry, I'm still drooling over Redwall rpg...

Jeff the Green
2014-09-05, 11:39 PM
If you don't mind some homebrew, the Haematurge (particularly with the dwarf substitution levels) in my sig fits your goal pretty well. Eventually you gain complete immunity to piercing or slashing damage and before then you get some decent DR. (Or take the ACF that gives fast healing and eventually regeneration).

Otherwise... consider Binder. Dahlver-Nar gets you the ability to force an enemy to take half the damage you receive while reducing your share by the same amount, and Savnok gives you some summoned armor and DR. And there's some other stuff in there that's fun.

Dwarf Crusader 13/Deepwarden 2/Deepstone Sentinel 5 (not in that order) gives you Constitution to AC and some badass things to do with your Stone Dragon stances that basically work like a much improved Dwarven defender. Flavor with Mineral Warrior and Troll-blooded to taste.

Incarnate's pretty good for this. You can get immunity to poison, DR, a ton of bonus HP, and other nifty bonuses. You could certainly throw that on to a cleric build.

I did some work on a d20 version a while back, but got frustrated and bored. Unfortunately d20, even E6, isn't a great way to model Redwall. It's not lethal enough, there's not enough Heal skill uses, and it underplays the differences between a badger lord and a squirrel skirmisher.

If I were running it now, I'd probably use Fate—it's much better for the sort of narratively-focused games Redwall would inspire. Or I'd need to look up Mouseguard, which I think is based on an older version of Fate.

The Random NPC
2014-09-06, 02:25 AM
Wouldn't an older version of Fate be Fudge? Also, the Mouse Guard system is based on an older version of Burning Wheel, which I don't know anything about. For all I know the two systems are identical.

EDIT: So looking at their wiki, Burning Wheel is a dice pool system using d6s and having 4-6 succeed. When a conflict arises, the player describes what they intend to do (embellishments encouraged), and what they are willing to stake (whatever that means). The GM then sets the difficulty (maybe the more you stake the easier the difficulty?) and you roll. Success means it happens exactly as the player described, while failure means something else happens, which can include partial success (the example given is attempting to pick a lock before a guard catches you, failure means the guard rounds the corner as the door swings open). Based on what you said and the wiki's description, I don't think Burning Wheel is the right system for you.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-06, 08:00 AM

Really? I actually think I'd have more fun with the Mouse Guard rpg. Sure, it's a dice pool system (Burning Wheel, to be exact. It's a weird one, too), but I actually enjoyed Mouse Guard more than I did the Redwall books.

no wait don't kill me i repent