PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Homebrew - The Inquisitor

dazbogdan
2014-09-05, 11:58 AM
The Inquisitor

http://i.imgur.com/l4Cx8I0.jpg

Let those who would destroy us step into the light.

Spell Slots per Spell Level

Level
Prof
Special
Cantrips
Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

1st
+2
Divine Sense, Spellcasting

2nd
+2
Judgment, Mark of Inquisition, Channel Divinity

3rd
+2
Dogma and Morality

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Beacon of Truth, Rebuke Heathen (CR 1/2)

6th
+3
Dogma and Morality Feature

7th
+3

8th
+3
Ability Score Improvement, Rebuke Heathen (CR 1)

9th
+4

10th
+4
Compelling Touch

11th
+4
Improved Judgment, Rebuke Heathen (CR 2)

12th
+4

13th
+5

14th
+5
Rebuke Heathen (CR 3)

15th
+5
Sanctified Mind, Dogma and Morality Feature

16th
+5

17th
+6

18th
+6
Rebuke Heathen (CR 4)

19th
+6
Ability Score Improvement, Dogma and Morality Feature

20th
+6
Final Judgment

Class Features

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per Inquisitor level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+ your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Inquisitor level after 1st

Proficiences
Armor: Light armor.
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons.
Tools: Inquisitor Kit.
Saving Throws: Constitution and Wisdom
Skills: Choose two from History, Insight, Investigation, Medicine, Religion, Nature,Perception, Stealth.

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
• (a) any two simple weapons or (b) Long-sword and a shield or (c) Whip and 3 Spears.
• (a) a Priest’s Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack or (c) an Diplomat's Pack,
• (a) a set of torturing tools or (b) a set of investigation tools.
• A Light Crossbow, 20 bolts, Studded leather and an Inquisitor Kit.

Spellcasting: As a conduit for divine power, you can cast Inquisitor spells. (the spell list is at the end of the post)
Cantrips: At 1st level, you know four cantrips of your choice from the Inquisitor spell list. You learn additional Inquisitor cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips known column of the Inquisitor table.

Spellcasting Ability: Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your Inquisitor spells. The power of your spells comes from your devotion to your deity. You use your Charisma whenever a Inquisitor spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Inquisitor spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Preparing and CastingSpells: The Inquisitor table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.You prepare the list of Inquisitor spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the Inquisitor spell list. When you do so, choose a number of Inquisitor spells equal to your Charisma modifier + your Inquisitor level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of Inquisitor spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Ritual Casting: You can cast a Inquisitor spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus: You can use a Badge of the Inquisition as a spellcasting focus for your Inquisitor spells.

Divine Sense: The presence of strong evil registers on your senses like a noxious odor, and powerful good rings like heavenly music in your ears. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any celestial, fiend, fey or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (celestial, fiend, fey or undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity (the vampire Count Strahd von Zarovich, for instance). Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Judgment: As an Inquisitor your deity gifts you with the right to judge others based on a set of principles you uphold. The Principles are different from deity to deity, and you should ask your DM to help you figure out a list of principles your Inquisitors Deity would expect him to uphold. The Judgment lasts one minute and you can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. The DC to resist a Judgment is 5 + charisma bonus + your proficiency bonus, and it is a Wisdom save. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses. There are 4 different basic kinds of judgments a Inquisitor can inflict:

1.Punish the Wicked: Gain an Prof bonus on Weapon Attack rolls made against the target for the duration of the judgment.

2.Burn the Heretic: Add bonus damage to spells equal to your Prof, choose one of the following damage types as bonus : acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, radiant, or necrotic, the damage is of that type. If the spells has no damage component then gain Advantage on the attack roll.

3.Know Thy Enemy: Gain an Advantage on Investigation checks made to determine the weakness and strengths of the target for the duration of the judgment.

4.No one Expects the Inquisition: Gain and Advantage on Stealth and Deception Checks against the target, and if you act in the surprise round you have an advantage on attack rolls against the target as long as the surprise round last, in addition if you score a hit against the target during the surprised round its a critical hit.

Your Judgments can be invoked for a greater effect using one of the Judgment spells(listed in the Inquisitor Spell list).

Mark of Inquisition: You place a Divine Mark on a creature of no more than 6 symbols onto a creature, inflicting 1 point of damage. The mark may be placed on any exposed portion of the creature, typically the head or forearm. A Mark can be hidden by clothing or removed by scraping it away (causing 1d6 points of damage), though the brand returns if the damage is healed. The Mark lasts until you take a long rest, and you can have up to half your level of marks at any given time. As long as the mark is active you know when the target is within a mile of radius near you, you don't gain any other information about its location nor its condition. The divine marks Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier, and the divine mark becomes permanent if it is cast on the same spot every day for a month.

Rebuke Heathen: At 2nd level, you gain the ability to Rebuke Heathen. You must finish a short or long rest to use it again. When you use this an effect the DC equals your Inquisitor spell save DC. Beginning at 6th level, you can use this ability twice between rests, and beginning at 18th level you can use it three times between rests. When you finish a short or long rest, you regain your expended uses.

As an action, you present your Badge of the Inquisition and speak a Damnation censuring the Heathens (Humanoid, Celestial, Fiend, Fey or any Specific Race, you make the choice when you use this feature). Each Heathen that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the Heathen fails its saving throw, it is rebuked for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A rebuked Heathen must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Starting at 5th level, when an Heathen fails its saving throw against your Rebuke Heathen feature, the creature is instantly compelled not to approach you within 30 feet (it can make a save against this part of the feature after any long rest) and gains a disadvantage on all actions made against you if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown in the Rebuke Heathen table.

Rebuke Heathen:
Inquisitor Level Rebuke Heathen of CR
5th- 1/2 or lower
8th - 1 or lower
11th - 2 or lower
14th - 3 or lower
18th - 4 or lower

Dogma and Morality: You pick one of the four Dogma and Moralities that the Inquisition uses. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again
at 6th, 15th, and 19th level.

Ability Score Improvement: When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score o f your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Beacon of Truth: Your fervor for truth and Justice Bends the world around in such a way that a permanent aura of truth extends from you in a 5 feet circle (like the spell Zone of Truth) with a Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier, it last for one minute. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Compelling Presence: Your Presence alone is strong enough to compel creatures with similar ideals to your whims, gaining advantage on investigation, Deception, intimidation and Persuasion as long as the creatures share your base alignment (good, evil or neutral). Also you gain the spell Suggestion as a touch attack against the target influenced by your Presence. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Improved Judgment: At 11th level your Judgments become more potent, you gain the ability to use two of your judgments at the same time, and are able to target the same or different targets with them, also you gain 1d6 bonus on all checks made against the target under the effect of your judgment.

Sanctified Mind: Your are immune to psychic damage, any effect that would sense your emotions or read your thoughts, divination spells, and the charmed condition. This even foils wish spells and spells or effects of similar power used to affect your mind or to gain information about you.

Final Judgment: Your Judgment becomes the Word of your Deity, Gain the use of one of the power words per day. (Power Word Stun, Power Word Kill, Power Word Pain, Power Word Truth)

Cantrips: Blade Ward, Friends/Foes, Guidance, Light, Mending, Message, Resistance, Sacred Flame, True Strike, Spare/End The Dying and Thaumaturgy.

1. Alarm, Bane, Bless, Command, Cure Wounds, Comprehend Languages, Detect Evil and Good, Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, Disguise Self, Divine Favor, Illusory Script, Guiding Bolt, Heroism, Inflict Wounds, Protection from Evil and Good, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith.

Judgment Of Darkness
Judgment Of Light
Judgment Of Faith

2.Aid, Augury, Blindness/Deafness, Calm Emotions, Scorching Ray, Shatter, Continual Flame, Enhance Ability, Find Traps, Gentle Repose, Hold Person, Lesser Restoration, Locate Object, Protection from Poison, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Warding Bond, Find Steed, Magic Weapon,Invisibility, See Invisibility.

Judgment Of Power
Judgment Of Weakness
Judgment Of Fear

3.Bestow Curse, Haste, Slow, Clairvoyance, Daylight, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Magic Circle, Protection from Energy, Remove Curse, Sending, Speak With Dead, Spirit Guardians, Tongues, Elemental Weapon, Fear, Non-detection.

Judgment Of Pain
Judgment Of Pleasure
Judgment Of Failure

4. Banishment, Death Ward, Divination, Freedom of Movement, Guardian Of Faith, Locate Creature, Compulsion, Confusion, Greater Invisibility, Phantasmal Killer,

Judgment Of Healing
Judgment Of Bleeding

5.Commune, Modify Memory, Dispel Evil and Good, Flame Strike, Geas, Greater Restoration, Hallow, Legend Lore, Mass Cure Wounds, Scrying, Destructive Wave.

Judgment Of Death

Dogma and Morality

The Exterminators

http://i.imgur.com/MCmMlLj.jpg

Some may question your right to destroy. Those who understand realise that you have no right to let them live!

3.Exterminating Judgmen. You Gain The Exterminate Judgment, and an proficiency in the Poisoners kit and Exterminators tools .
Exterminate: Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d8 damage to the target of this judgment when you hit with an attack and if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon. You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, but only if that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll. The amount of the extra damage increases as you gain levels in this subclass, as shown in the Exterminate Attack column.
1. -
2.-
3. 1d8
4. 1d8
5. 1d8
6. 2d8
7. 2d8
8. 2d8
9. 3d8
10. 3d8
11. 3d8
12. 4d8
13. 4d8
14. 4d8
15. 5d8
16. 5d8
17. 5d8
18. 6d8
19. 6d8
20. 6d8

6.Exterminators Lure. An Exterminator learns how to attract the "pests" into a eradicating trap. Pick a type of "pest" (Aberrant, Celestial, Fiend, Fey or Undead) you spend an hour in preparation of a lure, something the "pest" cant resist to go after, the type of lure changes depending on the type of "pest" you want to attract. A lure costs the "pests" CR*100 gold, a legendary or highly intelligent pests can make an Investigation check with a dc of Your Inquisitor Level + 2 + d20 roll, or if you take an extra hour of preparation when you make the lure your Your Inquisitor Level + your deception check. When the "pests" fails its Investigation check and falls for your lure it enters the designated trap area (the area must be at least one size category larger then the "pest" up to three times its size) and you and any ally with you gain a Surprise round before it notices you. Most of the time the "pest" will eradicated in the surprise round, but if the battle continues you gain an advantage on attack rolls as long as the pests stays in the trap zone. This ability can be used once day.

15.Their weakness is my weapon. You gain a Divine ability to make weapons and ammunition gain one of the qualities listed below for one hour if you are holding them, If you give it to someone else or drop it loses this effect after one minute, when the effect ends your weapons and ammunition revert back to their normal state. You must use Holly Water or Holly Incense when applying this effect to your weapons.

Weapon and ammunition qualities : Adamantine, Dragonbane, Cold Iron, Silvered, Acid, Fire, Cold, Lighting, Thundering, Radiant and Necrotic.

19.Bound by Bane.

The Justicer

http://i.imgur.com/t3NIyIl.jpg

For The Greater Good!
3.Justicar Judgment.
The Weapon of Faith :
6.A Sinful Mind cannot Hide.
15.Justice demands Retribution.
19.I am Law.

The Questioners

http://i.imgur.com/3qRIfrX.jpg

Innocence proves nothing!
3.Questioner Judgment:
I ask the Questions:
6.My Questions leave Marks.
15.There are two sides to every question.
19.Answers writ in Blood.

The Truth Seekers

http://i.imgur.com/LaE3vVr.jpg

Ask not The Truth Seekers a Question for they will give you Three Answers; all of which are True and Horrifying to Know...
3.Truth Seeker Judgment.
I Speak Nothing but The Truth:
6.Mine is the Righteous Path
15.When Truth Screams
19.The Truth is .

PiggDaddy
2014-09-10, 12:29 AM
This looks like it's going to be extremely cool when it's finished. Obviously the class still need finishing, but so far so good. That said I think a few of the class features, divine health in particular, look a tad under powered. All and all I look forward to this homebrews completion and i like your use of stock art in the post.

dazbogdan
2014-09-10, 03:23 AM
This looks like it's going to be extremely cool when it's finished. Obviously the class still need finishing, but so far so good. That said I think a few of the class features, divine health in particular, look a tad under powered. All and all I look forward to this homebrews completion and i like your use of stock art in the post.

Hey Thank you :D. I would love some more input on the other class features.

DiBastet
2014-09-10, 11:03 PM
I'm totally waiting for the subclasses to comment. This is one of my favorite fantasy concepts, and while the avenger-like oath of vengeance enforcer divine warrior is great i really miss a "divine rogue". so i'll wait for you to finish and translate it to my class documents for my players to use

Steel Mirror
2014-09-11, 12:53 AM
This is sort of just nitpicking, but from the Mark of Inquisition description: "You place a Divine Mark on a creature of no more than 6 characters onto a creature, inflicting 1 point of damage."

It took me quite a few readthroughs the first time to get what that was saying, largely because of the confusion between "characters" as written symbols vs "characters" as discrete acting entities in an role playing game. Maybe rephrase it to: "You place a Divine Mark (consisting of up to 6 letters or symbols) onto a creature. This deals 1 point of damage." Also, how many times per day can you use the Mark of Inquisition? Or is it at will?

There are a few other places where the wording is a tiny bit awkward, but since this is a WIP I will refrain from being anal retentive. :smallredface: Really, that one in the Mark of Inquisition was the only one that made it a little hard to figure out what was going on.

Other than that, I really like it so far! The Judgements are interesting and flavorful (#4's name made me laugh, of course). I think that Judgements #1 and #4 are too powerful. Advantage should be harder to come by at low levels, and #4's autocrit on top of advantage to attacks and stealth rolls seems incredibly good.

Under Improved Judgement, you call the +1d6 to rolls a fervor bonus. This is another nitpick, but I don't think that bonuses are typed in 5E any longer. I think you can just say that you add 1d6 to your rolls against the target, and leave it at that.

I'll be following your continued progress with the class! It looks cool, and I know just the player that might be interested in playing it. Those pics for the Dogmas and Moralities look pretty promising, so keep up the good work!

dazbogdan
2014-09-11, 04:04 AM
This is sort of just nitpicking, but from the Mark of Inquisition description: "You place a Divine Mark on a creature of no more than 6 characters onto a creature, inflicting 1 point of damage."

It took me quite a few readthroughs the first time to get what that was saying, largely because of the confusion between "characters" as written symbols vs "characters" as discrete acting entities in an role playing game. Maybe rephrase it to: "You place a Divine Mark (consisting of up to 6 letters or symbols) onto a creature. This deals 1 point of damage." Also, how many times per day can you use the Mark of Inquisition? Or is it at will?

The mark can be used only once per day(once before taking a long rest), i will look it up in the text and word it better.

I will fix that right away, pleas tell me where you have other problems understanding the wording, English is not my native language :D

Other than that, I really like it so far! The Judgements are interesting and flavorful (#4's name made me laugh, of course). I think that Judgements #1 and #4 are too powerful. Advantage should be harder to come by at low levels, and #4's autocrit on top of advantage to attacks and stealth rolls seems incredibly good.

Under Improved Judgement, you call the +1d6 to rolls a fervor bonus. This is another nitpick, but I don't think that bonuses are typed in 5E any longer. I think you can just say that you add 1d6 to your rolls against the target, and leave it at that.

I will see what can be done with the first, maybe a prof bonus to attack rolls, but the 4 is made to be like that, you invoke it at puff it is gone, i mean it still applies to the target and you gain bonuses for the deception and stealth checks, but the surprise round will end and you cant auto-crit if you hit anymore, it was based of the assassin sub class of the rouge.

I am still thinking what to do with improved judgment, i like the idea of using two judgments at the same time, but the 1d6 bonus seems weak.

I'm totally waiting for the subclasses to comment. This is one of my favorite fantasy concepts, and while the avenger-like oath of vengeance enforcer divine warrior is great i really miss a "divine rogue". so i'll wait for you to finish and translate it to my class documents for my players to use

It is actually your Artificer that inspired me to do the conversion :D, one of my players will be using it in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (i am converting it also...) we are going to run, but we changed it around to work like the sorcerer for the "spellcasting".

DiBastet
2014-09-11, 10:53 AM
It is actually your Artificer that inspired me to do the conversion :D

:smallredface:

Exgladius
2014-09-12, 01:12 PM
I love what your doing here, I look at this page couple times a day to see what you add, keep it up man, Im going to use this class in a campaign

dazbogdan
2014-09-13, 04:38 AM
I love what your doing here, I look at this page couple times a day to see what you add, keep it up man, Im going to use this class in a campaign

Thank you, i think i have it done today, will just have to type it over from my note book.

dragoonsgone
2014-09-13, 06:30 AM
It looks really good so far. I hope you finish it soon.

Hard to comment more until we see some subclasses.

DiBastet
2014-09-14, 10:02 AM
The wait is killing me, hahah

dazbogdan
2014-09-14, 10:13 AM
The wait is killing me, hahah
Well i am testing as i work on it so i have to balance some things out :D, but it will be done soon.

Dyhmas
2014-09-14, 11:25 AM
Eaguerly waiting for the Justicer and Truth Seeker, while also hoping that the waiting won't actually kill me.

Brew on!

...and brew fast! :smalltongue:

-Dyhmas

EternalHobbyist
2014-09-14, 08:55 PM
Looks like a really cool class, nice work!

One thing I noticed is that your proficiencies include Constitution and Wisdom, but the Inquisitor's spellcasting ability is Charisma. For the sake of consistency, it seems like either she should get proficiency in Charisma saving throws, or her primary spellcasting ability should be Wisdom, which would make more sense to me thematically.

dazbogdan
2014-09-15, 12:29 AM
Looks like a really cool class, nice work!

One thing I noticed is that your proficiencies include Constitution and Wisdom, but the Inquisitor's spellcasting ability is Charisma. For the sake of consistency, it seems like either she should get proficiency in Charisma saving throws, or her primary spellcasting ability should be Wisdom, which would make more sense to me thematically.

Oh Constitution is a mistake, See i think it is more Like the Paladin but more of a Social and in the Grey area of Divine. That's why i set charisma.

Exgladius
2014-09-22, 11:58 AM
Checking back daily! Keep it coming man

dazbogdan
2014-09-27, 05:28 AM
Small update, i will finish the sub-classes on Tuesday, have no free time for homebrewing right now :D

Steel Mirror
2014-09-27, 06:17 AM
Looking forward to it!

Exgladius
2014-10-02, 08:52 AM
Sub classes or Riot! :)

dazbogdan
2014-10-02, 08:58 AM
Sub classes or Riot! :)

Working currently on them, ETA 5 hours!*
Edit, will have to finish it tomorrow some re-balancing is needed

infinitetech
2014-10-04, 03:45 AM
good sofar, hope to see this get finished :-)

Amnoriath
2014-10-04, 12:12 PM
While a decent concept it is clunky to keep track of and overpowered in a few different respects.
1. In total you have about 5-6 different pools to keep track of on top of spells, all of which gain a rather large number upon first getting the ability.
2. Adding your proficiency bonus again to all attacks is very large in this game and the fourth option can be spammed to all heck and back with the Exterminator Dogma. The third one is too limited to really take all that seriously.
3. Rebuke Heathen has no specification for the target/s as such it is crowd control to any thing small to your desire and really goes against flavor.
4. You get automatic mind blank at the same level full casters do except you are doing 6 times a day with no concentration. This is so borked beyond reason aside from the lack of a specified action.
5. This class gets an inordinate amount of cantrips, rather or not that is a problem more or less depends on them cantrips.
6. Charisma is an odd stat to base this off of as Inquisitors are traditionally more skill based.
7. The Exterminator having a holy ward of damage simply makes no sense as he is the assassin of the 4.
8. The level 20 ability really just says you get 4 9th level spells known and one use of it a little underwhelming in terms of usage as well as in relation to others. It really doesn't have any affect advantage.
9. Lots of dead levels

Theodoxus
2014-10-04, 11:14 PM
6. Charisma is an odd stat to base this off of as Inquisitors are traditionally more skill based.

I tend to agree - 5th has a plethora of Charisma based classes. I'd go with Int, personally - while Wisdom is the go to for a divine, I think Int makes a more interesting choice and fits better with the schema of the Inquisitor. (I houseruled it in Pathfinder as well).

Having said that, I like this, though I think I'll let me resident Inquisitor player look it over before passing final judgement.

Nice work though :)

dazbogdan
2014-10-05, 05:11 AM
While a decent concept it is clunky to keep track of and overpowered in a few different respects.
1. In total you have about 5-6 different pools to keep track of on top of spells, all of which gain a rather large number upon first getting the ability.
2. Adding your proficiency bonus again to all attacks is very large in this game and the fourth option can be spammed to all heck and back with the Exterminator Dogma. The third one is too limited to really take all that seriously.
3. Rebuke Heathen has no specification for the target/s as such it is crowd control to any thing small to your desire and really goes against flavor.
4. You get automatic mind blank at the same level full casters do except you are doing 6 times a day with no concentration. This is so borked beyond reason aside from the lack of a specified action.
5. This class gets an inordinate amount of cantrips, rather or not that is a problem more or less depends on them cantrips.
7. The Exterminator having a holy ward of damage simply makes no sense as he is the assassin of the 4.
8. The level 20 ability really just says you get 4 9th level spells known and one use of it a little underwhelming in terms of usage as well as in relation to others. It really doesn't have any affect advantage.
9. Lots of dead levels

1. The player that is using this class in my Campaign dose not mind the the resource poll tracking, so that could be changed to a different value or even to a fixed value of that goes up every half a dozen of levels.
2. That is the point of judgments, they are overpowered, they have a fixed time and can be be resisted (i just looked i didint writ that part down, will be fixed)
3. Could you elaborate more on this?
4. I will add that it is used as a bonus action, and will change it to once per day. (as a level 8 spell on level 15 a cleric can cast one, so this looks ok from my point of view)
5. Yes this will be changed
6. As i said before this is my choice, anyone can change this to something else but i see the Inquisitor as more of a Social Class some that influences people it's not a pure holy rouge.
7. He is not a assassin. He is more of a holy rouge if any of the sub classes are.
8. Sure you gain them, like the cleric gains spells and a way to commune with his Deity, but them being underwhelming i don't agree.
9. I don't see this, i mean i built him using main classes from PH, and they have the same amount of "Dead Levels"
Thank you for the input :D

Having said that, I like this, though I think I'll let me resident Inquisitor player look it over before passing final judgement.
Nice work though :)
Thank you :D

Amnoriath
2014-10-05, 08:47 AM
1. The player that is using this class in my Campaign dose not mind the the resource poll tracking, so that could be changed to a different value or even to a fixed value of that goes up every half a dozen of levels.
2. That is the point of judgments, they are overpowered, they have a fixed time and can be be resisted (i just looked i didint writ that part down, will be fixed)
3. Could you elaborate more on this?
6. As i said before this is my choice, anyone can change this to something else but i see the Inquisitor as more of a Social Class some that influences people it's not a pure holy rouge.
7. He is not a assassin. He is more of a holy rouge if any of the sub classes are.
8. Sure you gain them, like the cleric gains spells and a way to commune with his Deity, but them being underwhelming i don't agree.
9. I don't see this, i mean i built him using main classes from PH, and they have the same amount of "Dead Levels"
Thank you for the input :D

1. However that means you have about 30 different uses on top of spells, many of which have durations.
2. You don't specify a kind of save and the DC is ludicrous ranging from 3 to 26. Also, a minute will last most battles. You basically have 2 that overpowered, one too specific to waste it on, and another which reflects more of a wizard since it only applies to spells.
3. It means that at this point when using the ability you can say humanoid and effectively ban the good king from his throne room. I don't think that is proper flavor of the ability.
4. Clerics are far more likely to influence people than Inquisitors, look at history and their crunch to trust their God along with domains. It is also something lacking in the divine realm.
5. He gets an ability that adds damage by sneaking up, then he gets a trap that allows him and all allies to attack better, then he gets vulnerability attunement, and then he gets holy ward that deals damage. If it is to be compared to anything it is to an assassin as the rogue at least would have various skills and more actions.
6. I am not saying 9th level spells suck, just that your full casters did this about 3 levels earlier, meaning why does this have them? Why isn't it capping off its mechanics or adding something unique?
7. You have 5 dead levels, only a couple full casters compare to the amount you have.

dazbogdan
2014-10-05, 09:44 AM
1. However that means you have about 30 different uses on top of spells, many of which have durations.
2. You don't specify a kind of save and the DC is ludicrous ranging from 3 to 26. Also, a minute will last most battles. You basically have 2 that overpowered, one too specific to waste it on, and another which reflects more of a wizard since it only applies to spells.
3. It means that at this point when using the ability you can say humanoid and effectively ban the good king from his throne room. I don't think that is proper flavor of the ability.
4. Clerics are far more likely to influence people than Inquisitors, look at history and their crunch to trust their God along with domains. It is also something lacking in the divine realm.
5. He gets an ability that adds damage by sneaking up, then he gets a trap that allows him and all allies to attack better, then he gets vulnerability attunement, and then he gets holy ward that deals damage. If it is to be compared to anything it is to an assassin as the rogue at least would have various skills and more actions.
6. I am not saying 9th level spells suck, just that your full casters did this about 3 levels earlier, meaning why does this have them? Why isn't it capping off its mechanics or adding something unique?
7. You have 5 dead levels, only a couple full casters compare to the amount you have.

1. Yes and? I mean as i said this is made for a player in my game, if it becomes tedious to track we will change but for now it is ok for both of us.
2. I just did update what type of save it is, and it is lower the normal saves to balance it out. Each sub class has a Judgment of its own.
3. Sure you can do that, but what will happen to player that dose that? I mean a Wizard can enter a room and just chuck a fireball at the good king.
4. I out right don't agree on this point, but that is up to ones opinion, you have yours and i have mine.
5. I am changing the last ability to better reflect on the role he should have.
6. Well i see your point, i to would like to give it some flavor of its own, but for now the ability will remain as it is if i do figure out something better i will add it in. :)
7. Yea and, i mean they gain extra ability on other levels, this can be tweaked easily by moving the ability around, but i don't see the need to change this right now, after some playing and gaming if the problem comes up i will change it.

Thank you for the input.

Theodoxus
2014-10-05, 11:00 AM
Ok, I've been dissecting this a bit more - yay for boring Sunday mornings :)

1st - I would put this on the Warlock chassis, rather than the Paladin; honestly as written, it's essentially a modified Paladin Oath - not bad, per se, but again, it's a bit of 'been there, done that.' What the Warlock chassis would do is provide a different mechanic, allowing the spells to be reset on a short rest, but fewer of them (granted, since you haven't laid out the spells yet, its harder to judge their effectiveness in either fashion, but that's ok). Found the hidden list... :smallredface: Second, it would allow the Judgments to be akin to Invocations - keep them at 1 minute duration with 1+(casting stat - I'm still using Int, but Cha is fine) - but you can build more than 4, have them be a mix of clerical and paladin type bonuses - add level requirements (a paladin smite of various effects at higher levels, etc). Offer more choices to the players this way. Third, you remove the focus from being a half caster to being a warlock - lite caster. Granting only up to 5th level slots (no Mystic Arcanum type ability). I'd use the exact same levels you're offering new spell levels as new slot levels.

2nd - Because you're not granting any melee combat actions, I'd do a couple of things. Rogue get a bonus Ability Score Improvement at 10th, and Fighters get 2 extra, at 6th and 14th. I'd offer the Inquisitor to gain one at 6th - it front loads the abilities/feats somewhat, but it does discourage you to multiclass out to dip into fighter. Secondly, I'd offer a few of the Cunning Actions from the rogue list. Dash, Disengage and Dodge are probably sufficient.

3rd - Mark of Inquisition is kinda meh. Also, the mechanic for applying it wasn't addressed. I'd change it to read: "Starting at 2nd level. as a Bonus Action, you place a divine mark onto a creature by making a melee spell attack, inflicting 1 point of damage. The mark may be placed on any exposed portion of the creature, typically the head or forearm. A Mark can be hidden by clothing or removed by scraping it away (causing 1d6 points of damage), though the brand returns if the damage is healed. The Mark lasts until you take a long rest, and you can place up to half your inquisitor level of marks at any given time. As long as the mark is active you know when the target is within a mile radius of you, however, you don't gain any other information about its location nor its condition. Additionally, you gain Advantage on any attacks made against a marked creature." I took out the permanency portion - I find permanent things questionable in a combat oriented game, where if you're keeping a captive for a month, you probably should hand him off to the authorities - YMMV, and certainly feel free to add it back in.

4th - Rebuke Heathen - I changed the wording on the definition of heathen to be "Any creature not of your religion" - might be OP, but your original wording was basically just as vague... Also, I changed the 5th level boost, naming it "Compel Heathen" and rewording that as "Starting at 5th level, when a creature fails its saving throw against your Rebuke Heathen feature, the creature falls to the ground helpless if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown in the Compel Heathen table." It's akin to Destroy Undead - and while I agree that Destroying people is OP, forcing them to fall down helpless (and we're talking very low CR comparable levels) groveling at your feet under the Might of your Deity was very evocative of the power of inquisitors. Plus, granting Disad on actions against you when they're already rebuked didn't make much sense.

I've gotten up through Beacon of Truth - as I find more things, I'll let you know. Oh, you might want to do a quick Find/Replace - you have Cleric in a few places that Inquisitor should be. I'm also terribly interested in how your other Dogmas are coming out. :)

Please don't take these as anything more than constructive suggestions - I really am quite impressed with the class.

Theodoxus
2014-10-05, 11:20 AM
Oh, couple other things, since you didn't define what an Inquisitor Kit was, I changed that to Disguise Kit. Also, I modded the skills section, since you didn't include very many skills that would be useful for an inquisitor. I'd offer 3 skills from the following list: Deception, Disguise, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Medicine, Religion, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth.

A primary reason is, Compelling Presence grants advantage on Deception, Intimidation, Investigation and Persuasion, yet you're only proficient in Investigation? That doesn't seem overly helpful.

Amnoriath
2014-10-05, 11:26 AM
1. Yes and? I mean as i said this is made for a player in my game, if it becomes tedious to track we will change but for now it is ok for both of us.
2. I just did update what type of save it is, and it is lower the normal saves to balance it out. Each sub class has a Judgment of its own.
3. Sure you can do that, but what will happen to player that dose that? I mean a Wizard can enter a room and just chuck a fireball at the good king.
4. I out right don't agree on this point, but that is up to ones opinion, you have yours and i have mine.

Thank you for the input.
1. It means for the most part their really isn't much holding him back from always having something, but at the same time he really can't prioritize which one depending on their build or situation because it is different pools with set numbers.
2. While you have cleared some things up, it really isn't the point. Is judgement from a flavor stand point anything an enemy says does not exist or is it something of the Inquisitor's rationale? This directly ties in having to think about the base role of this class behind its flavor. While the exterminator is an assassin gish and I am assuming the Justicer is better at martial prowess(probably extra attack..etc?) what about the other 2 and core of this class. In some ways you convey a skilled lurker with some specific hunting like abilities but it is only proficient in 2 skills and a kit. You gain martial weapons but at base it is one attack with no bonus damage or damage die, at least the cleric gains abilities aside from spells to make it a good single hit. In fact, almost all of the good abilities either are or tie more into field control, blasting, and enchantment.
3. Is a good king who could very well be a worshiper of your god should be called a heathen? Also your ability selects a type so he isn't just doing this to the king he is doing it to the room and everywhere he goes for a minute. This gives him a lot of time to do whatever to anyone that in any kind of logic would not be considered heathens.
4. How is he more of rogue than an assassin?

Theodoxus
2014-10-05, 12:05 PM
So here's what I was thinking the Warlock chassis would look like in table form:

The Inquisitor

Level
Proficieny Bonus
Features
Cantrips
Known
Spells Known
Spell Slots
Slot Level
Judgments Known

1st
+2

2nd
+2
Judgment, Mark of Inquisition, Rebuke Heathen

3rd
+2
Dogma and Morality

4th
+2

5th
+3
Beacon of Truth, Compel Heathen, Rebuke Heathen (CR 1/2)

6th
+3

7th
+3
Dogma & Morality

8th
+3
Rebuke Heathen (CR 1)

9th
+4

10th
+4
Compelling Presence

11th
+4

12th
+4

13th
+5
Dogma & Morality

14th
+5
Rebuke Heathen (CR 3)

15th
+5
Sanctified Mind

16th
+5

17th
+6
Dogma & Morality

18th
+6
Rebuke Heathen (CR 4)

19th
+6

20th
+6
Final Judgment

Interestingly, it left open the 9th level as an empty level, so looking at it, I figured, why not move the 8th level ability score improvement to there - it's unique, but not game breaking. It smooths out the ASI progression and filled the hole. I also moved around the Dogmas, as I felt they were oddly spaced. Anyway, I hope you at least look it over...

dazbogdan
2014-10-06, 04:13 AM
Ok, I've been dissecting this a bit more - yay for boring Sunday mornings :)

1st - I would put this on the Warlock chassis, rather than the Paladin; honestly as written, it's essentially a modified Paladin Oath - not bad, per se, but again, it's a bit of 'been there, done that.' What the Warlock chassis would do is provide a different mechanic, allowing the spells to be reset on a short rest, but fewer of them (granted, since you haven't laid out the spells yet, its harder to judge their effectiveness in either fashion, but that's ok). Found the hidden list... :smallredface: Second, it would allow the Judgments to be akin to Invocations - keep them at 1 minute duration with 1+(casting stat - I'm still using Int, but Cha is fine) - but you can build more than 4, have them be a mix of clerical and paladin type bonuses - add level requirements (a paladin smite of various effects at higher levels, etc). Offer more choices to the players this way. Third, you remove the focus from being a half caster to being a warlock - lite caster. Granting only up to 5th level slots (no Mystic Arcanum type ability). I'd use the exact same levels you're offering new spell levels as new slot levels.

2nd - Because you're not granting any melee combat actions, I'd do a couple of things. Rogue get a bonus Ability Score Improvement at 10th, and Fighters get 2 extra, at 6th and 14th. I'd offer the Inquisitor to gain one at 6th - it front loads the abilities/feats somewhat, but it does discourage you to multiclass out to dip into fighter. Secondly, I'd offer a few of the Cunning Actions from the rogue list. Dash, Disengage and Dodge are probably sufficient.

3rd - Mark of Inquisition is kinda meh. Also, the mechanic for applying it wasn't addressed. I'd change it to read: "Starting at 2nd level. as a Bonus Action, you place a divine mark onto a creature by making a melee spell attack, inflicting 1 point of damage. The mark may be placed on any exposed portion of the creature, typically the head or forearm. A Mark can be hidden by clothing or removed by scraping it away (causing 1d6 points of damage), though the brand returns if the damage is healed. The Mark lasts until you take a long rest, and you can place up to half your inquisitor level of marks at any given time. As long as the mark is active you know when the target is within a mile radius of you, however, you don't gain any other information about its location nor its condition. Additionally, you gain Advantage on any attacks made against a marked creature." I took out the permanency portion - I find permanent things questionable in a combat oriented game, where if you're keeping a captive for a month, you probably should hand him off to the authorities - YMMV, and certainly feel free to add it back in.

4th - Rebuke Heathen - I changed the wording on the definition of heathen to be "Any creature not of your religion" - might be OP, but your original wording was basically just as vague... Also, I changed the 5th level boost, naming it "Compel Heathen" and rewording that as "Starting at 5th level, when a creature fails its saving throw against your Rebuke Heathen feature, the creature falls to the ground helpless if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown in the Compel Heathen table." It's akin to Destroy Undead - and while I agree that Destroying people is OP, forcing them to fall down helpless (and we're talking very low CR comparable levels) groveling at your feet under the Might of your Deity was very evocative of the power of inquisitors. Plus, granting Disad on actions against you when they're already rebuked didn't make much sense.

I've gotten up through Beacon of Truth - as I find more things, I'll let you know. Oh, you might want to do a quick Find/Replace - you have Cleric in a few places that Inquisitor should be. I'm also terribly interested in how your other Dogmas are coming out. :)

Please don't take these as anything more than constructive suggestions - I really am quite impressed with the class.

Well from this post alone i have a tone to re think and re do :D
1. This whole warlock idea is looking more and more appealing to me as i read it, i can cut down on the spell list and add bonus spells to the spell classes as with the warlock ones, and judgments would work better that way.
2. I like the idea of using that extra ASI at 6th maybe even at 14th, the cunning action i will have to see about.
3. I will use your wording for the Mark, the only part that will be a problem is the advantage part, gaining permanent advantage can break the game.
4. This change is perfect, but as with my old effect i will have to see it during a game to balance it.

And this was my favorite info and suggestions i have gotten, i will probably end using some of them.

Oh, couple other things, since you didn't define what an Inquisitor Kit was, I changed that to Disguise Kit. Also, I modded the skills section, since you didn't include very many skills that would be useful for an inquisitor. I'd offer 3 skills from the following list: Deception, Disguise, History, Insight, Intimidation, Investigation, Medicine, Religion, Perception, Persuasion, and Stealth.

A primary reason is, Compelling Presence grants advantage on Deception, Intimidation, Investigation and Persuasion, yet you're only proficient in Investigation? That doesn't seem overly helpful.

The Inquisitor kit is not yet defined, but it will be mostly for getting information and and clerical stuff. The skill list will be changed to include the rest of the social skills, i haven't gotten to it yet with the work on the subclasses.

So here's what I was thinking the Warlock chassis would look like in table form:

The Inquisitor

Level
Proficieny Bonus
Features
Cantrips
Known
Spells Known
Spell Slots
Slot Level
Judgments Known

1st
+2

2nd
+2
Judgment, Mark of Inquisition, Rebuke Heathen

3rd
+2
Dogma and Morality

4th
+2

5th
+3
Beacon of Truth, Compel Heathen, Rebuke Heathen (CR 1/2)

6th
+3

7th
+3
Dogma & Morality

8th
+3
Rebuke Heathen (CR 1)

9th
+4

10th
+4
Compelling Presence

11th
+4

12th
+4

13th
+5
Dogma & Morality

14th
+5
Rebuke Heathen (CR 3)

15th
+5
Sanctified Mind

16th
+5

17th
+6
Dogma & Morality

18th
+6
Rebuke Heathen (CR 4)

19th
+6

20th
+6
Final Judgment

Interestingly, it left open the 9th level as an empty level, so looking at it, I figured, why not move the 8th level ability score improvement to there - it's unique, but not game breaking. It smooths out the ASI progression and filled the hole. I also moved around the Dogmas, as I felt they were oddly spaced. Anyway, I hope you at least look it over...

I will keep the ASL at level 8th, but the more that i look at this the more i think i will use the warlock idea.

Thank you for the help! If you have any other ideas just post them, i will credit you in the end product.

terikthetailor
2014-12-14, 08:53 PM
Has this project Died? was hoping to see it done eventually.

Inchoroi
2014-12-15, 11:58 PM
Has this project Died? was hoping to see it done eventually.

I really hope not. I just discovered this. >.<

Arracor
2014-12-17, 02:17 PM
I also seriously hope this project gets finished, since it's an archetype I'm very fond of and Cleric isn't perfect for representing it, especially without the PrC 3.5 had.

Tarrab
2015-01-30, 12:47 PM
Hey, I really liked the work you did! I took the liberty to modify all your work a bit and create some of the Dogmas that would fit my campaign (also took out the cantrips and made the spellcasting look more like the ranger and paladin). I wanted to show you how it looks to see if you aprove of this version of the Inquisitor! Thanks for all your hard work btw.

The Inquisitor[edit]
Harrowing and decided, the Inquisitor is a warrior of the faiths that hunts his enemies in the darkness, bringing forth heathens and unfaithful to their grim demise.

Spell Slots per Spell Level
Level Prof Features 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
1 +2 Heretic Sense, Mark of Inquisition - - - - -
2 +2 Judgment, Spellcasting, Rebuke Heathen 2 - - - -
3 +2 Dogma 3 - - - -
4 +2 Ability Score Improvement 3 - - - -
5 +3 Rebuke Heathen (CR 1/2) 4 2 - - -
6 +3 Beacon of Truth 4 2 - - -
7 +3 Dogma Feature 4 3 - - -
8 +3 Ability Score Improvement, Rebuke Heathen (CR 1) 4 3 - - -
9 +4 4 3 2 - -
10 +4 Compelling Presence 4 3 2 - -
11 +4 Improved Judgment, Rebuke Heathen (CR 2) 4 3 3 - -
12 +4 Ability Score Improvement 4 3 3 - -
13 +5 4 3 3 1 -
14 +5 Rebuke Heathen (CR 3) 4 3 3 1 -
15 +5 Sanctified Mind, Dogma Feature 4 3 3 2 -
16 +5 Ability Score Improvement 4 3 3 2 -
17 +6 4 3 3 3 1
18 +6 Rebuke Heathen (CR 4) 4 3 3 3 1
19 +6 Ability Score Improvement, Dogma Feature 4 3 3 3 2
20 +6 Martyr of the Faith 4 3 3 3 2

Class Features[edit]
Hit Points Hit Dice: 1d8 per Inquisitor level Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+ your Constitution modifier Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per Inquisitor level after 1st

Proficiencies[edit]
Armor: Light armor. Weapons: Simple weapons, Longbow, Heavy Crossbow, Whip and the chosen weapon of your deity or church (if any). Tools: None. Saving Throws: Wisdom and Strength. Skills: Choose three from History, Insight, Investigation, Intimidation, Persuasion, Deception, Medicine, Religion, Nature, Perception and Stealth.

Equipment[edit]
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background: (a) any two simple weapons or (b) two battleaxes or (c) two whips. • (a) A Priest’s Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack or (c) a Diplomat's Pack. • (a) A set of torturing tools or (b) a set of investigation tools. • (a) A Light Crossbow, 20 bolts and leather armor or (b) 10 daggers and studded leather armor.

Heretic Sense[edit]
The presence of enemies of your faith (believers of a deity whose align is removed by two steps in both directions of your deity´s alignment) bring a sensation of brooding fury to you. As an action, you can open your awareness to detect such forces. Until the end of your next turn, you know the location of any heretic, but also any celestial (if you follow an evil deity), fiend (if you follow a good deity), fey (if you follow a lawful deity) or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover. You know the type (Humanoid, Monster, Celestial, Fiend, Fey or Undead) of any being whose presence you sense, but not its identity. Within the same radius, you also detect the presence of any place or object that has been consecrated or desecrated, as with the hallow spell. You can use this feature a number of times equal to 1 + your Charisma modifier. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses.

Mark of Inquisition[edit]
As an action you place a Divine Mark on a creature, inflicting your Charisma modifier in points of damage. This is a melee attack. The mark may be placed on any exposed portion of the creature, typically the head or forearm. A Mark can be hidden by clothing but not removed (except by spells like Dispel Evil and Good). The Mark lasts for a number of days equal to your Wisdom modifier. As long as the mark is active you know when the target is within a mile near your position. You also know a general direction where the target is and have Advantage on any check to track it by any means. The divine marks Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier, and the divine mark becomes permanent if it is cast on a creature that is opposed alignment to your deity.

Judgment[edit]
As an Inquisitor your deity gifts you with the right to judge others based on a set of principles you uphold. The Principles are different from deity to deity, and you should ask your DM to help you figure out a list of principles your Inquisitors Deity would expect him to uphold. The Judgment lasts one minute and you can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier. You can call a Judgment on a single target in line of sight. If the target dies before the Judgment is over, the effect of the Judgment immediately ends. When you finish a long rest, you regain all expended uses. There are 4 different basic kinds of judgments an Inquisitor can inflict:

Punish the Wicked[edit]
Gain a proficiency bonus on Weapon Damage rolls made against the target for the duration of the judgment equal to your proficiency bonus. This applies to all weapons.

Burn the Heretic[edit]
Add bonus damage to spells equal to your proficiency bonus. Choose one of the following damage types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, radiant, or necrotic. The damage is of that type. If the spells has no damage component there is no effect.

Know Thy Enemy[edit]
Gain an Advantage on Investigation checks made to determine the weakness and strengths of the target for the duration of the judgment. If you succeed on the Investigation check, while attacking that target you always have Advantage to your attacks or the spell chance to hit.

No one Expects the Inquisition[edit]
Gain Advantage on Stealth and Deception Checks against the target, and if you act in the surprise round you have advantage on attack rolls against the target as long as you act before him or if he is surprised. In addition if you score a hit against the target during the surprised round it is considered a critical hit.

You can change the chosen Judgment as an action during the 1 minute interval that the ability is active.

Spellcasting[edit]
As a conduit for divine power, you can cast Inquisitor spells. (the spell list is at the end of the post)

Spellcasting Ability[edit]
Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your Inquisitor spells. The power of your spells comes from your devotion to your deity. You use your Charisma whenever an Inquisitor spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Charisma modifier when setting the saving throw DC for an Inquisitor spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Preparing and Casting Spells[edit]
The Inquisitor table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest. You prepare the list of Inquisitor spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the Inquisitor spell list. When you do so, choose a number of Inquisitor spells equal to your Charisma modifier + half your Inquisitor level (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of Inquisitor spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Ritual Casting[edit]
You can cast a Inquisitor spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Spellcasting Focus[edit]
You can use a holy symbol or your deity´s weapon as a casting focus.

Inquisitor Spell List[edit]
1st level spells: Alarm, Bane, Command, Cure Wounds, Comprehend Languages, Detect Evil and Good, Detect Magic, Detect Poison and Disease, Disguise Self, Divine Favor, Guiding Bolt, Heroism, Inflict Wounds, Protection from Evil and Good, Purify Food and Drink, Sanctuary and Shield of Faith.

2nd level spells: Aid, Augury, Blindness/Deafness, Calm Emotions, Shatter, Continual Flame, Find Traps, Gentle Repose, Hold Person, Locate Object, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Warding Bond, Find Steed, Magic Weapon and See Invisibility.

3rd level spells: Bestow Curse, Haste, Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Glyph of Warding, Protection from Energy, Remove Curse, Sending, Speak With Dead, Spirit Guardians, Tongues, Elemental Weapon, Fear, Non-detection.

4th level spells: Banishment, Death Ward, Divination, Freedom of Movement, Guardian Of Faith, Locate Creature and Compulsion.

5th level spells: Commune, Modify Memory, Dispel Evil and Good, Geas, Hallow, Legend Lore, Mass Cure Wounds, Scrying, Destructive Wave.

Rebuke Heathen[edit]
At 2nd level, you gain the ability to Rebuke Heathen. As an action, you present your Holy Symbol or deity´s weapon of choice and speak a damnation censuring the heathens (Humanoid, Celestial, Fiend, Fey or any Specific Race that must be of an Alignment opposite to your deity´s). Each Heathen that can see or hear you within 30 feet of you must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the Heathen fails its saving throw, it is rebuked for 1 minute or until it takes any damage. A rebuked Heathen must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can use the Dodge action. You must finish a short or long rest to use this ability again. The DC equals your Inquisitor spell save DC. Beginning at 6th level, you can use this ability twice between rests, and beginning at 18th level you can use it three times between rests. Starting at 5th level, when a Heathen fails its saving throw against your Rebuke Heathen feature, besides the previous effect gains a disadvantage on all actions made against you if its challenge rating is at or below a certain threshold, as shown in the Rebuke Heathen table. Rebuke Heathen: Inquisitor Level Rebuke Heathen of CR 5th- 1/2 or lower 8th - 1 or lower 11th - 2 or lower 14th - 3 or lower 18th - 4 or lower

Dogma[edit]
You pick one of the three Dogmas that the Inquisition uses. Your choice grants you features at 3rd level and again at 7th, 15th, and 19th level.

Ability Score Improvement[edit]
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Beacon of Truth[edit]
Your fervor for truth and Justice Bends the world around in such a way that a permanent aura of truth extends from you in a 5 feet circle (like the spell Zone of Truth) with a Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.

Compelling Presence[edit]
Heathens and enemies of your opposite alignment find your just presence a hindrance. You exceed an aura from your body that makes those enemies weaker against you. Any enemy of such alignment in a 10 feet radius from you must make a Charisma saving throw against it or suffer the effects of the Bane spell for one minute. If the target makes the save he is immune to this power for 24 hours.

Improved Judgment[edit]
At 11th level your Judgments become more potent, you gain the ability to use two of your judgments at the same time and can choose to retarget your Judgment to a different creature as a Bonus Action. You can change one or both Judgments by using an action.

Sanctified Mind[edit]
You gain resistance to psychic damage. You become immune to any effect that would sense your emotions, read your thoughts and divination spells made to locate you.

Martyr of the Faith[edit]
You become a true emblem of your chosen faith. When you die, every enemy of an opposite faith or alignment to yours in a 60 feet radius is dealt 40d6 of Radiant damage. If the enemy succeeds at a Wisdom Saving Throw DC 20 he only suffers half damage.

Dogmas[edit]
Witch-hunter[edit]
The With-hunter is tasked by his deity to destroy all evil wizards, clerics and witches. You become the scourge of those who use magical powers against your lord.

Sacred Destruction[edit]
Immediately upon choosing this archetype, you gain the Sacred Flame cantrip. Your atribute to cast it is Charisma.

Disrupt[edit]
At 3rd level, if you have an active Judgment and you hit an enemy who is at the moment using Concentration on a spell, you deal an additional 1d4 Radiant damage against that enemy equal to the level of the spell he is trying to concentrate on. The enemy can choose to end Concentration immediately and only take half damage of this specific ability.

Diminish the Faithless[edit]
At 7th level, when you use your Judgment and the target is an enemy caster, he has disadvantage on his saving throws against any offensive spell you cast against him.

Spell Aegis[edit]
At 15th level, you gain advantage against any hostile or damaging spell targeted against you.

Devourer of Magic[edit]
At 19th level, when you are the target of a hostile or offensive spell of 5th level or lower and you succeed on your saving throw, you may spend one spell level of the same spell level used to recast that same spell against the caster. Also, you learn that spell on your list as if it was an Inquisitor spell off the same level. This learned spell will vanish after a period of 24 hours. If you don´t have spell slots of that level at the moment, you cannot recast the spell and you don´t memorize it. Succeeding at the saving throw doesn´t mean the spell has no effect.

Slayer[edit]
The Slayer seeks the enemies of the fate to bring them a dark and painful demise in the name of his faith.

Unholy Touch[edit]
Immediately upon choosing this archetype, you gain the Chill Touch cantrip. Your atribute to cast it is Charisma.

Scourge Strikes[edit]
At 3rd level, if you have an active Judgment and you hit an enemy who is of an opposite faith or alignment to yours, you deal an additional 1d8 Necrotic damage. This damage increases to 2d8 at level 7 and to 3d8 at level 14.

Unseen Punisher[edit]
At 7th level, when you first come within perceptible range of an enemy who is of an opposite faith or alignment to yours, if you succeed on the Stealth check against the enemy´s passive Perception, you immediately become invisible against that enemy. This applies to every enemy that can see you but you do not become invisible against those who detected you. If an enemy isn´t of an opposite faith of alignment to yours, this has no effect. The invisibility effect lasts until you act or until you leave the enemy´s line of sight.

Divine Sight[edit]
At 15th level, you gain Darkvision out to 120 feet and can see in any type of darkness, including magical. You have advantage on skill checks to detect illusions and invisible creatures.

Castigate[edit]
At 19th level, when you score a critical hit while using Judgment against an enemy who is of an opposite faith or alignment to yours, triple the damage you do instead of doubling it.

Justicar[edit]
The Justicar is the judge and jury of its faith´s enemies, deciding and measuring the worth of any who fall on their tests of faith.

Divine Shout[edit]
Immediately upon choosing this archetype, you gain the Sonic Shout cantrip.

Judge and Jury[edit]
At 3rd level, you can choose to target a number of enemies with your Judgment equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). All of your Judgments also last an additional number of rounds equal to half your level.

You have been found Guilty[edit]
At 7th level, any enemy you kill while your Judgment is active dies without any Death Saving Throws and cannot be resurrected or revivify by normal means. Only spells as powerful as Wish or Miracle can bring an enemy back from death after he has suffered this effect.

Trial of the Faith[edit]
At 15th level, when you successfully down an enemy you can choose to not kill him. When you do this, you can immediately cast the spell Geas on him and he has Disadvantage on the Saving Throw. If he fails the throw, he must strive to complete your Geas. This Geas lasts for ten years or until the enemy achieves the desired mission. Doing this spends one of your daily allotted Judgment uses.

Final Judgment[edit]
At 19th level, your Judgment becomes the Word of your Deity. As an action, you can use a single Power Word per Long Rest. (Power Word Stun, Power Word Kill, Power Word Heal).

RavenJovan
2015-10-17, 03:34 PM
So much work gone to waste, I like most of what I see but if it's not complete how can I use it? If the Original Poster sees this comment please work to complete this work, its very good and I'd like to see more

MatchesMalone
2017-03-15, 08:57 PM
So much work gone to waste, I like most of what I see but if it's not complete how can I use it? If the Original Poster sees this comment please work to complete this work, its very good and I'd like to see more
Yeah, these are really good!

Danbog
2017-03-21, 09:50 AM
Hello, I am the original creator of this class (sadly I can't login into my old email and I can't get into my old account). Life has finally slowed down enough so I can go back to homebrewing and will finish this class first. A new post will be made when its done, i am looking foward to your feedback.