PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help for an 8th level Tiefling slayer

DungeonDelver
2014-09-05, 01:34 PM
I'm making an 8th level Tiefling Slayer.

I'm putting a slayer together for an upcoming Pathfinder campaign. I decided on the new character class because I've been meaning to play someone deft and sneaky but not necessarily fragile.

I'm strongly considering the Vanguard archetype because someone else is already building a hunter, and I'm fine with them having niche protection regarding tracking and survival. Plus, the Vanguard's initiative ability is a good substitute for the Tracking bonus (I think).

I'm going with the idea that he's always able to fight and kill people. Wrist sheaths with daggers and a boot knife, plus cross class ranks in sleight-of-hand to hide them, probably a small armory of daggers. Unless you strip search him, he's got a weapon on him, and if you do, he'll pick-pocket one off of you if you so much as blink. For actual combat I'm probably going for the ol' standard greatsword and longbow (I'm not completely sold on this, so alternate weapon suggestions are fine).

His first two talents are already going towards the first two Vanguard abilities, namely the ability to grant access to a teamwork feat to all allies and the ability to grant part of his studied combat bonus to all allies.

Gear, Slayer Talents, and Feats. Wealth by Level for an 8th level PC, Paizo only. Probably going with Precision Attack as my free teamwork feat and improved initiative, because if you're going first you might as well go firstest, also considering Quick Draw.

This is what ability scores I'll have (after racial adjustments and the two points from level ups);

Str 20
Dex 20
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 10

My chosen skills (all maxed ranks) are;

Acrobatics
Bluff
Climb
Disguise
Heal
Intimidate
Knowledge (local)
Perception
Sense motive
Sleight of Hand
Stealth

Thanks for reading, any help you can give would be appreciated.

CaptainPlatypus
2014-09-05, 02:29 PM
Looks like you're starting from a good place. I'd definitely endorse Improved Initiative - with it your initiative check's going to be at +13 even before any magical bonuses/traits/etc, which is pretty lovely. Quick draw is a solid option, but if you're using spring-loaded wrist sheaths anyway, I'd suggest possibly replacing it with Arcane Strike (you qualify via the Tiefling darkness SLA) for a little extra damage. For your remaining two feat slots, I'd recommend Power Attack and Cornugon Smash.

For talents, you have a lot of good options. Trapfinding is probably mandatory if that's one of your jobs in the party, there's a ton of useful stuff available from Ranger Combat Style and Combat Trick, and Trap Spotter goes really well with Trapfinding. Those are probably what I'd consider the 'best' options, but my opinion's by no means definitive.

Enjoy!

DungeonDelver
2014-09-05, 05:24 PM
Cornugon Smash definitely looks good. I already have the intimidate ranks, and free action demoralization is a great idea, thanks!

I'm a little wary of Arcane Strike. The feat requires the ability to cast arcane spells, do spell like abilities count as 'casting' them?

Kudaku
2014-09-05, 05:29 PM
SLAs give you a caster level, which qualifies you for Arcane Strike. Since the tiefling's SLA scales with level, your caster level increases as well so your arcane strike will go up to +2 at level 5. :smallsmile:

DungeonDelver
2014-09-05, 05:37 PM
Okay, I'll definitely consider it then. Though my GM may not see that interpretation. Still, typeless damage is quite useful, though I'd have to be able to use it when I couldn't use any of my other swift action options.

Improved Initiative
Power Attack
Cornugon Smash
Arcane Strike
Precision Attack (Free teamwork feat)

That's quite a good set of feats, though I'll want to think of something else instead of arcane strike if my GM doesn't want me to have it.

Kudaku
2014-09-05, 05:42 PM
There's an official FAQ on it on the paizo website, I'll see if I can dredge it up.

Edit:

SLA give you a caster level that qualifies for item creation feats. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qp0)

You count as being able to cast any spell you can cast via an SLA for the purpose of prerequisites or requirements. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qow)

While your GM can, of course, rule however he wants, it's explicitly a legal option.

DungeonDelver
2014-09-05, 05:50 PM
Oh, ok. I'll show him that then. Thanks for your help. I was considering the Headsman's Blade as a weapon, but that DC17 save and needing a standard action to activate it were quite discouraging.

It grants a single use of the Slayer's Assassinate talent per day, with a limited save of 15 (17 if used on a studied target), but it also grants +2 to attacks against studied targets.

Sayt
2014-09-06, 01:03 AM
If you're going to grab Cornugon Smash, I suggest also picking up Shatter Defenses. it might take a while to get, but you get to have your sneak attacks just for power attacking.

CaptainPlatypus
2014-09-06, 01:52 AM
If you're going to grab Cornugon Smash, I suggest also picking up Shatter Defenses. it might take a while to get, but you get to have your sneak attacks just for power attacking.

Absolutely, a thousand times this. The prereqs suck, but for an effect that good who cares.

DungeonDelver
2014-09-06, 08:15 AM
That's actually a great idea too. Dazzling display and weapon focus are kinda crap, but they're worth it for power attack + intimidation + sneak attacks. Well worth it.

Now I need to do some research so my gf doesn't feel overwhelmed on her hunter, heh.