PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Want a PC that will eventually build/found a town. What classes and prestige classes?

Talionis
2014-09-05, 02:23 PM
Looking for a direction to build a character that would found a town. I've been trying to find an interesting build, but I'm not sure what direction to go and I'm open to as many ideas as people can come up with. The campaign has all 3.5 hardback Material. Dragon Compendium. But not Pathfinder. I'm shooting for a mid Tier 3 to high Tier 4.

Something Good at Mass Buffs (making commoners relevant in battles), Charisma SAD (at least I want Charisma to be at least 2nd highest stat), also possibly rugged and able to take some damage, but NOT utilizing the Leadership feat (Its banned in the campaign). Anyone have any thoughts on fun builds that would flesh this out.

The idea for the character is that is chased away from a city and builds his own town to protect those that he cares for and the number of people he wants to protect keeps growing and growing. We'll probably start at 3-5 and I envision the campaign being a long running one. I want him to be a little entrepreneur-like, because I think we'll be able to factor in downtime. Like if Bruce Wayne were the founder of both Wayne Industries and Gotham City.

Please give me your best ideas.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-05, 02:25 PM
Dread Necromancer, populate the town with undead :smallbiggrin:

On a more serious note, Bard or Bard/Sublime Chord would work pretty well.

Bad Wolf
2014-09-05, 02:35 PM
Marshal? They seem to be the leader-ish type, and they're Charisma-dependent.

Talionis
2014-09-05, 03:09 PM
Marshal? They seem to be the leader-ish type, and they're Charisma-dependent.

I like the idea, but I thought Marshal was a one level dip class? I could see Mythic Exemplar (which advances or grants Marshal auras, but what else would you pair with it)

Fax Celestis
2014-09-05, 03:12 PM
Legendary Leader, Heroes of Battle.

Failing that, Warchief in Miniatures Handbook.

Bad Wolf
2014-09-05, 03:15 PM
You could take ten levels in Marshal, then go with Exemplar, which is a fairly social prestige class.

Talionis
2014-09-05, 03:24 PM
You could take ten levels in Marshal, then go with Exemplar, which is a fairly social prestige class.

I'm a little scared with a long campaign, I'll get bored having so few class features. But maybe I'm okay. Plus if I go Mythic Exemplar, then I'd want some casting in there so I have something for it to advance, even though its not very many levels of casting, even weak casting is something.

atemu1234
2014-09-05, 03:28 PM
I like the idea, but I thought Marshal was a one level dip class? I could see Mythic Exemplar (which advances or grants Marshal auras, but what else would you pair with it)

I feel like we could make that argument about a dozen decent classes. Just because there are better builds doesn't mean he'd suck.

Talionis
2014-09-05, 03:29 PM
Legendary Leader, Heroes of Battle.

Failing that, Warchief in Miniatures Handbook.

Fax,

I've never tried any of the Commander Rating things. Do you find the system fun? Is it worth it? Anything that might go with that well?

I'm also looking for something that would be decent at just Adventuring.

Talionis
2014-09-05, 03:32 PM
I feel like we could make that argument about a dozen decent classes. Just because there are better builds doesn't mean he'd suck.

I getcha. I just would need more direction than just Marshal. I don't want to bore myself. I don't think Marshal has a handbook and what Marshal does is a little simple.

Actually something with a lot of Marshal in it would probably be a really good idea. But I don't know the next durection to take it.

the_david
2014-09-05, 03:35 PM
Well, you could focus on skills. Start a company, hire people. Then people will need to live near your company so you buy some land and become a landlord. Before you know it, your little settlement will expand and you'll be living of the profits from your company and the rent.

The perfect class to do this? Aristocrat, or the Noble from the Dragonlance campaign setting. It's the only Dragonlance book from Wizard of the Coasts so it counts. Unfortunately, even the Noble class sucks as it is a weak Bard without magic. Thematically though, it works.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-05, 03:36 PM
Fax,

I've never tried any of the Commander Rating things. Do you find the system fun? Is it worth it? Anything that might go with that well?

I'm also looking for something that would be decent at just Adventuring.

They're uninspiring, for the most part, but if you stack them up with other aura things, they work out okay. Marshal/Bard into Legendary Leader is a buffing machine.

If you're amenable to homebrew, you could try my Warlord class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?165950-d20r-Class-The-Warlord-v3-0&p=9236137#post9236137).

OldTrees1
2014-09-05, 03:39 PM
I would not overlook Dread Necromancer. It is the ideal class for creating a egalitarian utopia.

1) Charisma:
Dread Necromancers are Charismatic. This manifests itself as a charming individual that inspires loyalty and devotion. (Helped along with the Leadership and Undead Leadership feats)

2) Post Scarcity:
Dread Necromancers have access to a huge amount of free labor. Suddenly each of your builders can direct 100+ men worth of manpower.

3) Empathy:
Dread Necromancers are stereotyped. As such, they intimately understand how it feels. They are ideally suited to build a nation without filtering out people like elves or orcs as "undesirable".

Talionis
2014-09-05, 05:47 PM
One of my friends just suggested Warchanter... Maybe something like Bard 3/Marshal1/Mythic Exemplar 6/War Chanter 10

It won't have much casting, but War Chanter is pretty great at buffing little guys into useful.

Anyone have any thoughts?