PDA

View Full Version : Goliath Crusader: Roleplaying Hint and Tips?

TechnoWarforged
2014-09-05, 02:40 PM
I'm about to embark into a planescape campaign and after looking at the other player's classes (Hexwitch, Rogue/Ranger Range Dps, Psion, and one new player who's undecided) I've decided to make a tank class to frountline and protect the squishies. It was either Psychic Warrior or Crusader and since we also got a Psion so I'll rather go Crusader instead. This is the first time the DM allowed Book of the Nine Swords and I'm excited to try out the martial class. Here's a few problems:

1.I'm looking for tips and ideas on how to roleplay this character. I have no idea on how a goliath is suppose to act like(The source book is actually pretty vague regarding the race's description, and I know no counterpart to it in other fantasy setting)

2. A Crusader cannot be neutral and When I first envisioned my character I wanted her to be Lawful Good or at least Good because generally it's easier to roleplay a good character. However two of my party members are evil and when there was some disappointing frowns when I stated my desire to play a good character. Now the DM stated that he only uses Alignment are only guidelines and the two evil players are veterans, but I'm not sure if my Lawful Good character would lead to some unnecessary character conflict in the party.

3. I've read the Crusader Handbook on maxminboard but any tips on playing a crusader would be welcomed.

Thanks for your response in advance!

ComaVision
2014-09-05, 03:03 PM
1.I'm looking for tips and ideas on how to roleplay this character. I have no idea on how a goliath is suppose to act like(The source book is actually pretty vague regarding the race's description, and I know no counterpart to it in other fantasy setting)

What? Don't they have a whole chapter in the Races of Stone (D&D 3.5)? I'm pretty sure I read it before and got a decent idea on Goliath culture.

Greenish
2014-09-05, 03:30 PM
1. From what I can recall from RoS (or my fevered imagination), goliaths are quite communal, worship dawn (or something), and enjoy playful competitions of skill and strength. They're big, they live high up in hard to reach mountains, they got feral cousins and more than some connection to elemental earth. Why and how your character left the mountains and his/her kin is probably a pretty big deal. (Or did they have those super-convenient "send young folks to adventure" rites of passage? No, I think raptorans had those.)

2. When WotC says "neutral" they tend to mean true neutral, not a character with one component of neutrality in their alignment. With evil team members (plural), Good might not be the best option, but depending on how the party dynamics turn out it could still work.

3. Pick the maneuvers that seem cool, and use them. Crusader gains nothing by sitting on his maneuvers, so aim to get them out right away. From roleplaying perspective, you're a big guy/gal with big weapons and the skill to wield them, big armour, big convictions (in something, probably). Push your weight.

TechnoWarforged
2014-09-05, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the timely Response!

I must admit I was a little bit too lazy to do more research and just googlefu the race. Not having a copy of Race of Stone (tm) also seems to be the problem. I'll try to get access to the book and read it in detail.

I was under the impression that Crusader cannot be Neutral Anything, as Crusader have to fight for a cause. Maybe I'll try my hand at an evil character.

backwaterj
2014-09-05, 08:34 PM
If the two other players are veterans, go ahead and play your good character. I find diversity in alignment leads to interesting roleplay if taken in the right spirit. Just because you're lawful good doesn't mean you hold them accountable for their own moral codes (barring blatant abuses thereof). The DM might even appreciate you keeping them on track!

That said, if you want to be (lawful or chaotic) neutral, I don't believe there's anything stopping you as a crusader. You just can't be true neutral.

As an aside, I think you'll dig the class. Very tanky, nice defense and heals, very fun with the random-draw dynamic. It's like if paladin actually worked.

Red Fel
2014-09-05, 09:54 PM

Gonna echo the others. Go read RoS. Basically, Goliaths are big, strong, social, and competitive. Not in an "I'm better than you" way, but in an "I challenge myself" way. Whatever your Goliath applies himself to - mastering weapons, protecting the innocent, learning curse words - he keeps score. Not because he feels the score itself is important, but because it's his way of constantly improving.

2. A Crusader cannot be neutral and When I first envisioned my character I wanted her to be Lawful Good or at least Good because generally it's easier to roleplay a good character. However two of my party members are evil and when there was some disappointing frowns when I stated my desire to play a good character. Now the DM stated that he only uses Alignment are only guidelines and the two evil players are veterans, but I'm not sure if my Lawful Good character would lead to some unnecessary character conflict in the party.

Frankly, I think the alignment restriction is silly, but technically, you just can't be TN. Neutral-something, however, is fine.

That said, having an LG character in the party with Evil characters can be complicated. It's easier with LE characters - at least there can be a respectable truce - but ultimately, an LG character would find an LE character morally abhorrent. You'd have to part ways before long.

3. I've read the Crusader Handbook on maxminboard but any tips on playing a crusader would be welcomed.

Depends on how you want to play him. The smasher? The commander? The immovable object? What are you looking for? Crusader has a fairly high floor, so it's hard to play the class "badly."

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-05, 10:29 PM
Some useful goliath role playing devices which may or may not work with your concept:

- Challenge people to contests both big and small outside of combat. From who can finish breakfast first, to who can sprint the last 100 yds to town the fastest, to how far you can toss this rock, to who can spell their name backwards the fastest. It really doesn't matter, as games of all kinds are a basic socialization mechanism in goliath culture.

- Laugh loudly at challenges. Confidence and the like are common goliath traits.

- Wear unusual/less clothing than usual, or dress in tribal garb made of animal skins when not wearing armour.

- Go running or rock-jumping in your spare time.

- Sing songs to the rising sun/setting sun as part of your devotion.

- Hunt and/or gather food during downtime, as opposed to dining at the town inn.

- Light the campfire, and make a bit of a ritual of it.

- Cook for the rest of the party, and show concern if they aren't eating their food. Meals are important in communal settings, and particularly among subsistence cultures that must work hard to bring a meal to the table.

Snowbluff
2014-09-05, 10:57 PM
You are Goliath. Your favorite technique is Knockback Dungeoncrasher. Your hobby is Knockback Dungeoncrasher. Your life is Knockback Dungeoncrasher.

Divide by Zero
2014-09-06, 12:28 AM
Why not Lawful Neutral? It should be reasonably close to your original concept, and Aura of Perfect Order is the best of the level 6 stances IMO.

backwaterj
2014-09-06, 04:24 PM
Why not Lawful Neutral? It should be reasonably close to your original concept, and Aura of Perfect Order is the best of the level 6 stances IMO.

As I recall, it works with any lawful alignment.

Good alignment will work if the characters are playing "normal" evil, as opposed to the caricature that murders orphans and puppies, steals from comrades, and sells out the team for a cut of BBEG's gold. Evil is basically a selfish motivation, and part of that selfish motivation is to keep your allies' good graces. Honestly, I think a lot of adventurers that are neutral or good on paper actually fall into the evil category at least slightly, but you wouldn't necessarily know this by the way they act in public. Likewise with good, or any alignment (barring the odd detect x spell).

Divide by Zero
2014-09-06, 05:27 PM
As I recall, it works with any lawful alignment.

It does, sure, but Lawful Good would be harder to play nice with the Evil characters (possible, but harder), and Lawful Evil is probably too far from his concept.