PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Panda

Vowtz
2014-09-05, 04:20 PM
If I go Monk 5/Druid 2:

1. Can I use my [martial arts] in bear form with Wild Shape, since it's a class feature, and you're supposed to retain class features?

2. Can I use [Flurry of Blows], [Unarmored Defense], and other monk stuff which require being unarmored even if I'm shaped as bear with natural armor?

3. Can I use my [Extra Attack] feature from monk class in bear form? if so, can I bite again or make another claw attack?

4. Will I get monk's [unarmored movement] bonus added my bear form's speed, since it's a class feature?

5. Can use my [Ability Score Improvement] from monk's class in bear form, since it's a class feature?

6. Can use my [Deflect Missiles] from monk's class in bear form, since it's a class feature?

Don't say it makes no sense, we all watched the movie (actually, I didn't...) and know how it's supposed to look like.

rlc
2014-09-05, 04:28 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do any of the stuff. You'd obviously get whichever is better between the natural armor and unarmored defense, though.

Nizaris
2014-09-05, 04:55 PM
The question is really a question of, "can a bear do it?" when it comes to physical class features and what qualifies as an Unarmed Attack.

1. Can I use my [martial arts] in bear form with Wild Shape, since it's a class feature, and you're supposed to retain class features?

Yes, but it might be hard to wield Monk's weapons and declaring a natural weapon an "unarmed" attack is a DM's call, I would keep natural weapons distinct from Unarmed Attacks.

Since Martial Arts requires an Unarmed Attack action and Multi-Attack stipulates that it allows a bear to make a Bite and a Claw, you can't Multi-attack or use a natural weapon and utilize Martial Arts. Again DM may decide differently.

2. Can I use [Flurry of Blows], [Unarmored Defense], and other monk stuff which require being unarmored even if I'm shaped as bear with natural armor?

Unarmed Defense sets your AC as 10+Wis+Dex which would replace the 11 Natural armor.

Flurry of Blows requires the use of your normal Attack action meaning it can't be used with Multi-Attack.

3. Can I use my [Extra Attack] feature from monk class in bear form? if so, can I bite again or make another claw attack?

Extra Attack works on normal attack actions only, so at that point you can make two attacks of any kind and Flurry, Multi-Attack, or an unarmed attack + another attack and Martial Arts.

4. Will I get monk's [unarmored movement] bonus added my bear form's speed, since it's a class feature?

Yes

5. Can use my [Ability Score Improvement] from monk's class in bear form, since it's a class feature?

Not if it improves a physical stat. It is a permanent increase to your ability score which is replaced when you Wild Shape. Mental scores and/or feats would still be usable assuming you retain the ability to use them.

6. Can use my [Deflect Missiles] from monk's class in bear form, since it's a class feature?

Yes

Mellack
2014-09-05, 05:36 PM
Interesting, if you cannot use a monks unarmed strike with natural weapons, that means certain races can't (or have not much reason) become monks. Races like Kenku, Thri-Kreen and Lizardfolk had natural attacks. Not sure if they will have these races in 5e.

rlc
2014-09-05, 05:45 PM
i'd assume that almost anything that was playable in any edition before 5e will be playable in 5e, but in the 5e style.

Nizaris
2014-09-05, 08:20 PM
Interesting, if you cannot use a monks unarmed strike with natural weapons, that means certain races can't (or have not much reason) become monks. Races like Kenku, Thri-Kreen and Lizardfolk had natural attacks. Not sure if they will have these races in 5e.

A Kenku can still kick or punch, it's just that as of now, I don't seen any RAW justification for natural attacks counting as unarmed attacks. It means that Bear (Brown) Monk 5 in the OP mentioned would have the following attack options, an Unarmed attack of +7 (4 STR + 3 Prof)/d6+4, a claw of +5/2d6+4, and a bite of +5/d8+4. You still have your proficiency bonus with your unarmed attacks which means you'll trade accuracy for damage. It would make more sense (in terms of physiology) to associate punching/kicking with primates but a bear would still be capable of backhanding or karate chopping so I would give them the Unarmed Strike.

Sartharina
2014-09-06, 07:16 PM
Don't say it makes no sense, we all watched the movie (actually, I didn't...) and know how it's supposed to look like.

You should. Both of them.