PDA

View Full Version : Possible Sorcerer Variant

atemu1234
2014-09-05, 04:58 PM
I was thinking about a sorcerer variant that drops them down to Wizard spells/day progression and gives them a bonus Bloodline feat at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level.

Is the wizard strictly superior at that point?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-05, 05:01 PM
I was thinking about a sorcerer variant that drops them down to Wizard spells/day progression and gives them a bonus Bloodline feat at 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th and 20th level.

Is the wizard strictly superior at that point?

Yes; wizard still chooses what spells they know each day. The power gap is a lot narrower, though. I'd play a sorcerer of that sort over a wizard of that sort, because I love the heritage feats (especially Aberrant heritage).

Also maybe give the sorcerer a bloodline feat at 1st to match the wizard's bonus feat at 1st? It feels weird that there isn't one there.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-05, 05:11 PM
Just give them the feats, they already paid for their Spontaneous casting, there is no need to make them pay to have actual class features.

Btw i like the feat progression and i agree with Anchovies about putting one at lvl 1

backwaterj
2014-09-05, 08:21 PM
Do this and make them learn new spell levels as a wizard and I think you've gone a long way toward fixing the problem. Personally I wouldn't even drop the spells per day, and I'd give them wizard-like options in the bonus feats they choose.

atemu1234
2014-09-09, 07:06 AM
Do this and make them learn new spell levels as a wizard and I think you've gone a long way toward fixing the problem. Personally I wouldn't even drop the spells per day, and I'd give them wizard-like options in the bonus feats they choose.

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "learn new spell levels as a wizard" :smallconfused:. Do you mean have them cast prepared? Because that removes the purpose of the feats.

Tryxx
2014-09-09, 07:58 AM
Personally, I give Sorcerer Eschew Materials for free at 1st, and Bonus Metamagic or Heritage feats they meet the prerequisites for at 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th. I don't believe that's out of line with the core Wizard. (I also like to give them more skill points, similar to Solo's fix, but that's not strictly necessary.)

Mystral
2014-09-09, 08:10 AM
I think that of all the classes in the game, the Wizard shouldn't be the one you shouldn't try to catch up to, and if there is one class that doesn't need to be strengthened to the level of wizard, it's the sorcerer.

Pathfinder handled them nicely, though.

Feint's End
2014-09-09, 08:22 AM
That's already pretty much what Pathfinder did anyways :smallconfused: so why not just the PF Sorceror if you are desperate for better fluff. I mean the Heritage Feats is a nice idea but PF already did it pretty well.

backwaterj
2014-09-09, 02:25 PM
I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "learn new spell levels as a wizard" :smallconfused:. Do you mean have them cast prepared? Because that removes the purpose of the feats.

I meant learn new spell levels at odd number levels, versus even. It always seemed silly to me that spontaneous casters came up a day late and a dollar short, especially since they get shafted (at least in sorcerer's case) on spells known.