PDA

View Full Version : Table Troubles

Zweisteine
2014-09-05, 07:11 PM
Even after reviewing this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?341034-table-s-in-the-Playground-All-you-want-to-know-about-the-table-code), I can't figure out how to make a table work the way I want it to.

I'm trying to put together two versions of a table:

one with two header rows (if it's possible) and standard alternating colors
one with no header, and rows that alternate non-standard colors

Both of them also need a colspan in the first row.

Also, I think a more accesible guide would be useful. (i.e. sticky it if it's right, make and sticky if that one's wrong)

Box 11
Box 12
Box 13
Box 1[4-8]

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

Jasdoif
2014-09-05, 07:55 PM
[table=”class: alt1”]I see you've got "fancy" double quotes in there, not standard double quotes; that's why your row colors and colspan aren't working. I imagine you're using a word processor that's silently converting double quotes.

Box 11
Box 12
Box 13
Box 1[4-8]

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

Now, for your header rows you'd want to add in the head class to the table, and use and instead of and for your header cells.

Box 11
Box 12
Box 13
Box 1[4-8]

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

Rawhide
2014-09-05, 07:57 PM
Even after reviewing this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?341034-table-s-in-the-Playground-All-you-want-to-know-about-the-table-code), I can't figure out how to make a table work the way I want it to.

I'm trying to put together two versions of a table:

one with two header rows (if it's possible) and standard alternating colors
one with no header, and rows that alternate non-standard colors

Both of them also need a colspan in the first row.

Also, I think a more accesible guide would be useful. (i.e. sticky it if it's right, make and sticky if that one's wrong)

Box 11
Box 12
Box 13
Box 1[4-8]

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

That thread has already been stickied a while ago.

You cannot have two header rows. While it may work in some browsers, this will cause issues. TH has a special meaning in HTML. Simulate multiple header rows by setting the same colours, do not use two rows of TH.

Your main problem, however, with what you have quoted appears to be because you are not using the correct quotation marks. You're using ” instead of ".

Box 11
Box 12
Box 13
Box 1[4-8]

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

—
—
—
—
—
—
—
—

Zweisteine
2014-09-05, 08:07 PM
That thread has already been stickied a while ago.
Ah, found it. I hadn't checked the other subforums.

You cannot have two header rows. While it may work in some browsers, this will cause issues. TH has a special meaning in HTML. Simulate multiple header rows by setting the same colours, do not use two rows of TH.
Darn. I'll have to redesign the table, then.

Your main problem, however, with what you have quoted appears to be because you are not using the correct quotation marks. You're using ” instead of ".

I see you've got "fancy" double quotes in there, not standard double quotes; that's why your row colors and colspan aren't working. I imagine you're using a Word processor that's silently converting double quotes.
Yup, that'd be it.

Thanks a ton!