PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about a reflex save. (Arcanist theory craft)

13ones
2014-09-05, 09:02 PM
Hey folks.

I just want to throw something out there and see what you guys think.

I've got a game coming up in a few weeks that has me playing an Arcanist at 16th level. It's a high level game that will probably be nuts. I'm looking at throwing around Admixtured (thanks to my Arcanist Exploits) Ball Lightning orbs (4 or 5 of them at 16th level) with Dazing and Persistent Metamagics tossed on them. The character would be focusing a little more in other areas outside of Evocation so the DC on these would be ~26 Reflex save or Dazed for 4 rounds. Is this worth an 8th level spell at 16? Will it succeed? I need to bounce this idea off other people who aren't in my party and won't see it coming.

Korahir
2014-09-06, 07:50 AM
Reflex is usually the worst saving throw for many many monsters, so we can assume according to the table here: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monsterCreation.html you will face reflex saves around +14. So for convenience let's say 50% will make the first save.
Then with persist on average they will have better saves than 50%, let's ignore that and say you would hit 75% (0,5+0,5*0,5) of all enemies with your daze effect. I'd say thats worth a 8th level spell. Even if the yactual number drops to 66% or lower. I'd still go with it.

(exact numbers aren't my forte, as is math in general. every error is proudly presented by my brain).

13ones
2014-09-06, 10:37 AM
It's compounded by the fact the orbs can move off of my move action, as well as persist for 16 rounds. Theoretically I could lock down an entire encounter