PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Revised Eldritch Knight: Giantitp's First 5e Fighter Fix

Zweisteine
2014-09-05, 09:30 PM
EDIT-intro-thing:
I started this project fully intending to finish it. Sadly, as with a number of other projects I started, it had the misfortune of starting just as I lost the time I needed to put serious effort into it.
Various other posters have come to the conclusion that this is too powerful, and, after giving it some thought, I agree. I would recommend returning to the original number of spells per day as given in the Player's Handbook.
Also, Yakk made some suggestions for changing the class features in post #8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18183296&postcount=8). I don't think it's as balanced as what I created (too many powers on top of the base fighter class), but I haven't seen either in play.

And here's the post.

It has been said that the Eldritch Knight Martial Archetype is a trap. That assessment is correct.
The archetype gains too little, too late. At level 20, why would you cast a single low-level spell and make one attack when you could be making four attacks? Without some serious modifications, the eldritch knight as put forth in the Player's Handbook is a crippled class.

I have decided to become the first in a long line of fighter fixers to take on a new challenge: fixing the fighter in the new edition. So far as a quick googling can tell, this is the first such fix on the major forums.

To fix this specialization, I have completely rewritten the archetype. Below, you will find... well, my revised version of the eldritch knight.

Note: This looks much better in a narrower viewing window, because it follows the formatting of the PH, which is meant for two-column pages.

Eldritch KnightFluffity fluff flavor fluff flavorful fluffiness. This section is not changed from the Player's Handbook.

Spellcasting:
When you reach 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells.
.. Cantrips. You learn two cantrips from the eldritch knight spell list. You learn additional eldritch knight cantrip at 9th level, and a fourth at 15th level.
.. Spell Slots. The Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
.. For example, if you know the 1st-level spell chromatic orb and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast chromatic orb using either slot.
.. Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the eldritch knight spell list.
.. The Spells Known column of the Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows when you learn more Eldritch Knight spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 6th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
.. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the eldritch knight spells you know and replace it with another spell from the eldritch knight spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
.. Spellcasting Ability. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your eldritch knight spells, since you learn your spells through study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for an eldritch knight spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = 10 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

.. Weapon Bond. At 3rd level, you gain the ability to perform a ritual to invest a weapon with your personal arcane energy. This ritual takes 1 hour to perform, which can be during a short rest, and the weapon must remain in your reach and no other creature must touch it throughout the ritual. Once the ritual is complete, the weapon is treated as a magic weapon, and you gain a number of benefits while wielding it.
.. You may use your bonded weapon as an arcane focus for your eldritch knight spells. As long as you can move the arm you are wielding your bonded weapon with, you may cast spells as if the hand you hold it in is empty. When you are wielding your bonded weapon, you can add your proficiency bonus to any Constitution check you make to maintain concentration on a spell.
.. You can only have one bonded action. To form a bond with a different weapon, you must end your bond with your current weapon, which takes 1 minute of concentration.

.. Battle Casting. At 7th level, you gain the ability to perform the somatic components of spells with the movement of your blade. Whenever you take the attack action, you may cast a cantrip in place of one weapon attack you normally would make.
.. You can only use this ability once per turn.

.. Improved Battle Casting. At 10th level, you can cast more powerful spells with the movements of your blade. When you take the attack action, you may cast any eldritch knight spell you know in place of one weapon attack you normally would make.
.. You can not use this ability in the same turn you use Battle Casting to cast a cantrip.
.. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.

.. Arcane Channeling. At 15th level, you gain the ability to charge your bonded weapon with the energy of your spells. On your turn, you can cast use a bonus action to cast an eldritch knight cantrip into your bonded weapon. The cantrip must have a single target and must require an attack roll. The next time you hit an opponent with your bonded weapon before the end of your turn, the cantrip is cast on that opponent, and automatically hits.

.. Improved Arcane Channeling. At 18th level, you can channel higher-level spells through your bonded weapon a limited number of times per day. On your turn, you can cast use a bonus action to cast an eldritch knight spell into your bonded weapon. The spell must have a single target and must require an attack roll. The next time you hit an opponent with your bonded weapon before the end of your turn, the spell is cast on that opponent, and automatically hits.
.. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Eldritch Knight Spellcasting

Fighter
Cantrips
Spells
—Spell Slots per Spell Level—

Level
Known
Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

3rd
—
—
—
—

4th
—
—
—
—

5th
—
—
—
—

6th
—
—
—

7th
—
—
—

8th
—
—
—

9th
—
—
—

10th
—
—

11th
—
—

12th
—
—

13th
—
—

14th
—

15th
—

16th
—

17th
—

18th

19th

20th

I am currently working on the spell list, but may be busy for a few days. Until then, if you really badly want to use this, use the evocations and abjurations from the wizard list, plus expeditious retreat, longstrider, jump, blur, blink, hold person, haste, and hold monster.

This is the first draft. I rushed the higher-level abilities a bit in my eagerness to get this out, and because I didn't have many ideas. Any feedback and input would be much appreciated, and it might even end up in this post.

Thanks!

5 September 2014: Posted thread with intro and first version of the features.

Zweisteine
2014-09-07, 07:46 PM
Nobody has anything to say?
I'm sure that this has at least some balance problems, and I need help figuring them out...

pwykersotz
2014-09-08, 03:10 AM
A few ramblings:

Out of curiosity, what does this do worse than the Battlemaster or Champion? What is the incentive to take one of them over this?

It's very much akin to a Duskblade, and that has my applause because I freaking love Duskblades.

I notice you bumped them to half-casters instead of 1/3. This nets them Teleport Circle, Planar Binding, Wall of Force, and others...very powerful spells.

They look like they can spam spells too readily. The Int cap seems reasonable, but they can hit obscene control or damage by using their actions to use up to 4 spells in one turn, then to action surge and attack by using another spell put into the blade. This probably lets them burst down any enemy or reasonably clustered enemies almost instantly. Just looking at Fireball, with an Int of 18 they could deal 33d6 damage at 14th level (3 3rd level spells and 1 4th level) at range with a good radius. That's almost the 9th level spell Meteor Swarm and several levels early. A limit to 1 per turn for spells that aren't cantrips (allowing them to use Extra Attack only to spam the carefully regulated 0th level spells) seems like a good adjustment in that regard.

I don't believe there are any 5th level spells that can be used with the ability Improved Arcane Channeling. This is kind of disappointing since at that level that would be my first inclination.

I miss Arcane Charge. That's a pretty sweet ability, and a great Forcecage counter. Limited perhaps, but better there than not.

Good job, I'm curious to see the spell list. :smallsmile:

Zweisteine
2014-09-08, 05:53 AM
Dos I forget to day 1/spell per turn? I did, didn't I...

I think I'm going to drop spells known down to match the ranger's (up to 11). Not sure about spells per day. The original progression seemed incredibly slow, though it did cap out at a not-unreasonable number of spells per day.

The spell list will mostly be drawn from the wizard list, and will mostly be evocation, transmutakon, and abjuration. Even without the improved abilities (too good, probably), the list would be a great improvement. Haste is something any fighter wants to be able to cast.

ocel
2014-09-10, 07:12 AM
Hmm... I like what you've done with it so far, Zweisteine, I really do. But, I can't help but wonder why its base class, and others like it, such as barbarians, monks, rogues, etcetera, isn't more like warlock's. It's a class that combines the best of both worlds, martial and magical. It wouldn't be difficult to make it like that, just merge the three subclasses together or something. Maneuvers could be remade to work like Invocations and so on.

MrUberGr
2014-09-23, 09:42 PM
I believe the wording in Battle casting is either a bit redundant, or basically negates Weapon bond.

The redundancy is pretty obvious IMO. But that's not actually a problem. The problem is that it could be read, that even if you're not using your bonded weapon you can still cast spells with a somatic component while holding a sword. If you intended to do that, you should change the weapon bond to something like the swordmage (bonus action: weapon appears in your hand if it's within X range)

Also, I think that having x, improved x isn't that much fun. Most classes have different feats. Few are x, improved x. The teleport from the original e.k. is fine imo, while improved battle casting could be included as a scaling mechanic in battle casting.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-27, 11:51 AM
I think that while War Magic comes in a bit late, I don't find it inherently less damaging then doing 4 attacks. I noticed in another board that reminded people that cantrips scale to the characters using them so on average at 7th they are doing 3 attacks with that additional bonus action. 11th with 4 attacks and 17th with 5 attacks.
That said I have to agree the way Improved War Magic is made, its weak for a level 18 ability. I have 3 suggestions for this.

1st for both following ideas, get rid of the school limitations that is imposed on the Eldritch Knight and give him full access to all schools at every level.

Second, In my campaign I'm letting Champion and one other subclass to be taken at the same time and my players gain all abilities regarding both classes.

The third idea i came up with was replace Weapon Bond with a Homebrew idea of Spell Slot Fusion which would probably sound awesome in Japanese. But the idea is that when you cast a spell at any level, you can increase the spell's level by using up to one other spell slot and combining the spell slot levels for a new spell level. So for example you could cast a 1st level spell at 3rd level as a 2nd level spell by fusing both of your 1st level spell slots. This would finally be limited in case of multiclassing by having the max spell level through this ability be 1/2 Character Level though it might be better to have it as 1/2 Class Level. However, the greatest benefit of this ability is casting serious buffs like Magic Weapon and Elemental Weapon at max power.

Yakk
2014-09-29, 04:47 PM
.. Weapon Bond. At 3rd level, you gain the ability to perform a ritual to invest a weapon with your personal arcane energy. This ritual takes 1 hour to perform, which can be during a short rest, and the weapon must remain in your reach and no other creature must touch it throughout the ritual. Once the ritual is complete, the weapon is treated as a magic weapon, and you gain a number of benefits while wielding it.
.. You may use your bonded weapon as an arcane focus for your eldritch knight spells. As long as you can move the arm you are wielding your bonded weapon with, you may cast spells as if the hand you hold it in is empty. When you are wielding your bonded weapon, you can add your proficiency bonus to any Constitution check you make to maintain concentration on a spell.
.. You can only have one bonded action. To form a bond with a different weapon, you must end your bond with your current weapon, which takes 1 minute of concentration.
Given that it takes 1 hour to perform the ritual, why not just have the unbonding happen when the bonding happens?

Oh, and include "bonus action" to make it appear in your hand if it is within 50'?

.. Battle Casting. At 7th level, you gain the ability to perform the somatic components of spells with the movement of your blade. Whenever you take the attack action, you may cast a cantrip in place of one weapon attack you normally would make.
Make this any spell. And give advantage when maintaining concentration on spells that only target yourself (!).

Really, any spell. Which means we get rid of Improved below, freeing up level 10.

Reworked channeling:
.. Arcane Channeling. At 15th level, you gain the ability to charge your bonded weapon with the energy of your spells. As a bonus action, you can imbue a spell into your weapon. This spell must be capable of targeting one creature. The first time you hit a target before the start of your next turn with the weapon, the spell goes off and targets only the creature hit. If the spell does not go off, you regain its use. If the spell requires an attack roll, it automatically hits. If the spell gives a saving throw, the target has disadvantage on the save. If you use Arcane Channeling and Battle Casting on the same turn, at least one of them must cast a cantrip.

This leaves us with level 10 and 18 features to write by getting rid of your "improved" versions, and folding it into the base one.

.. Arcane Parry. At 10th level, you gain the ability to party and block spells with your bonded weapon as a reaction. If a spell that uses an attack roll passes within your melee reach, you may make an attack roll against the attack roll of the spell -- if you beat it, the spell is parried, and has no effect. If a spell that does not use an attack roll passes within your melee reach, and it allows a safe, you may make an attack roll against the spell's save DC. If you succeed, the spell no longer has an effect. A spell passes within your melee reach if its target (area or creature etc) is within your melee reach, or if any direct line from its source to its target passes within your melee reach.

That is a bit complex, but rather fun. Now you are a counter spelling machine. We could instead just replace it with counterspells.

.. Arcane Supremacy. At 18th level, you can cast any spell you know as a bonus action, and twice if you use your action surge. If you do so, you may not use your actions to cast a spell. In addition, your Arcane Channeling only ends when you choose it to, not at the start of your next turn (but only one spell can be imbued at a time). You can call your bonded weapon to your hand from anywhere as part of any other action, and if it is damaged or destroyed you can reform and recreated it as a bonus action.

So this is a bit of "improved". But by this point, your spells have fallen far enough behind the wizard that they are less of a problem.

You can still have a spell imbued in your weapon, and then let loose with a spell and attack on your turn.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-29, 07:31 PM
Any reason why this thread is trying to make this *fix* a really overpowered solution to something that was only slightly misunderstood?

jkat718
2014-09-30, 09:05 PM
Any reason why this thread is trying to make this *fix* a really overpowered solution to something that was only slightly misunderstood?

Care to elaborate, and maybe provide some *constructive* criticism? Just saying "this is bad" as a question doesn't make it helpful.

I like the OP's ability progression, but it's really geared towards a "I'm just the base Fighter, but I can spell-bonus my attacks," which works well fluff-wise and makes sense, given the base Fighter's abilities, but (I think) seems underwhelming. Granted, we haven't seen the spell list you're providing, but unless the cantrips are buffed somehow, I think it may be underpowered. Maybe increase the effective slot level (ESL?) for the spell when cast this way? The fluff for this could just be that you imbue your weapon with spell slots equal to your... BAB? INT mod? CHA mod? Not sure here. I agree with Yakk that your progression is essentially just "make an arcane focus," "attacks + spellcasting," "attacks + more spellcasting," "attacks + MOAR spellcasting," which is a little boring. IMO, Yakk went too far in the opposite direction and (to BRKNdevil's point) re-did the class with more OP abilities. Maybe replace an ability (and/or part of another) with the ability to create a lesser Bonded Weapon. Overall, I think my review won't be complete until we can see your spell list. In case you didn't know about it, http://mouseferatu.com/index.php/news/august-8-2014-a-special-gift-for-my-fellow-dd-fans/ (Ari's 5e Spell Sorter) could make the process of selecting spells much easier.

P.S. I love the idea of using the Bonded Weapon as an arcane focus, very Bard- or Cleric-esque.

BRKNdevil
2014-09-30, 09:22 PM
Care to elaborate, and maybe provide some *constructive* criticism? Just saying "this is bad" as a question doesn't make it helpful.

I like the OP's ability progression, but it's really geared towards a "I'm just the base Fighter, but I can spell-bonus my attacks," which works well fluff-wise and makes sense, given the base Fighter's abilities, but (I think) seems underwhelming. Granted, we haven't seen the spell list you're providing, but unless the cantrips are buffed somehow, I think it may be underpowered. Maybe increase the effective slot level (ESL?) for the spell when cast this way? The fluff for this could just be that you imbue your weapon with spell slots equal to your... BAB? INT mod? CHA mod? Not sure here. I agree with Yakk that your progression is essentially just "make an arcane focus," "attacks + spellcasting," "attacks + more spellcasting," "attacks + MOAR spellcasting," which is a little boring. IMO, Yakk went too far in the opposite direction and (to BRKNdevil's point) re-did the class with more OP abilities. Maybe replace an ability (and/or part of another) with the ability to create a lesser Bonded Weapon. Overall, I think my review won't be complete until we can see your spell list. In case you didn't know about it, http://mouseferatu.com/index.php/news/august-8-2014-a-special-gift-for-my-fellow-dd-fans/ (Ari's 5e Spell Sorter) could make the process of selecting spells much easier.

P.S. I love the idea of using the Bonded Weapon as an arcane focus, very Bard- or Cleric-esque.

Ok, remember that 5e no longer uses bab and multiple attacks in an Attack action come from class features gained. Most pre gished classes (Valor Bard, Paladin, Ranger) have at most two attacks. The only gish that can have 3 or more attacks is the fighter. Now cantrips scale with character level so that they eventually become the equivalent of a 4 round attack or quite literally in the case of eldritch blast which has 4 individual attacks and the warlock can gain invocations that also add damage like you would with a normal attack. If you were to make a cantrip or any spell take the place of a Bonus Action, that would mean the equivalent of a 8 attack round every round. This is something that 5e is generally trying to get away from. All these ideas for a *fix* take the power level of a eldritch fighter way out of the park into stupidly overpowered.

Generally i agree that Bonded Weapon is a pretty weak ability and I do like the idea of making it the arcane focus of his spells, but after looking and understanding the subclass i can tell that while its top level ability is sort of weak due to the limitations of 4th level slots and the available spells, that the class as is, isn't underpowered at all. The suggestion of removing the spell selection restriction was just something i thought of due to the limitations it puts on a fighter outside of battle and the spell slot fusion idea came out of the fact that a fighter can not buff his own weapon to max power.

As for any other constructive criticism is in my first post and through this entire assessment I was keeping with the original spell list which comes from the wizard's spell list and without the restrictions on spells chosen provides plenty of variation per turn.

jkat718
2014-10-01, 02:00 AM
Ok, remember that 5e no longer uses bab and multiple attacks in an Attack action come from class features gained. Most pre gished classes (Valor Bard, Paladin, Ranger) have at most two attacks. The only gish that can have 3 or more attacks is the fighter. Now cantrips scale with character level so that they eventually become the equivalent of a 4 round attack or quite literally in the case of eldritch blast which has 4 individual attacks and the warlock can gain invocations that also add damage like you would with a normal attack. If you were to make a cantrip or any spell take the place of a Bonus Action, that would mean the equivalent of a 8 attack round every round. This is something that 5e is generally trying to get away from. All these ideas for a *fix* take the power level of a eldritch fighter way out of the park into stupidly overpowered.

Sorry, I meant proficiency, not BAB. As for the cantrip scaling, what if the cantrip boosted attack was instead of a full attack?

Generally i agree that Bonded Weapon is a pretty weak ability and I do like the idea of making it the arcane focus of his spells, but after looking and understanding the subclass i can tell that while its top level ability is sort of weak due to the limitations of 4th level slots and the available spells, that the class as is, isn't underpowered at all. The suggestion of removing the spell selection restriction was just something i thought of due to the limitations it puts on a fighter outside of battle and the spell slot fusion idea came out of the fact that a fighter can not buff his own weapon to max power.

While I do like the idea of allowing access to higher spell slots without access to higher spells, I think that it's a little over-complicated, especially when you factor in the (not amazingly, but fairly) wide range of options the EK already has, just through spell choices. Again, I'd like to see what Zweisteine comes up with for the spell list, but I do agree with you that there should be a few utility spells. Which features, in particular, do you think lend the EK balance? Or were you referring to the OP's version of the EK?

As for any other constructive criticism is in my first post and through this entire assessment I was keeping with the original spell list which comes from the wizard's spell list and without the restrictions on spells chosen provides plenty of variation per turn.

Wow, sorry. I completely missed that you already had a post up. My fault entirely. :smallredface:

BRKNdevil
2014-10-01, 06:24 AM
Sorry, I meant proficiency, not BAB. As for the cantrip scaling, what if the cantrip boosted attack was instead of a full attack?

While I do like the idea of allowing access to higher spell slots without access to higher spells, I think that it's a little over-complicated, especially when you factor in the (not amazingly, but fairly) wide range of options the EK already has, just through spell choices. Again, I'd like to see what Zweisteine comes up with for the spell list, but I do agree with you that there should be a few utility spells. Which features, in particular, do you think lend the EK balance? Or were you referring to the OP's version of the EK?

Wow, sorry. I completely missed that you already had a post up. My fault entirely. :smallredface:

1-- do you mean a single attack that delivers a cantrip? if so then wouldn't it be the same as it is already?
2-- EK only has access to evocation and abjuration RAW except a few spells of any school from the wizards list. A lot of the damage buffing spells are not in those schools, thus i find that entire situation awkward.
3-- And an entire reworking of the class isn't?
4-- for missing my previous post, no problem, I tend to not bother with flashy.

jkat718
2014-10-01, 10:46 AM
1-- do you mean a single attack that delivers a cantrip? if so then wouldn't it be the same as it is already?
2-- EK only has access to evocation and abjuration RAW except a few spells of any school from the wizards list. A lot of the damage buffing spells are not in those schools, thus i find that entire situation awkward.
3-- And an entire reworking of the class isn't?

Uh... Yeah, I guess that would be the same. What if you basically turned your Bonded Weapon into a weapon of Spell Storing? Base the number of slots off of either CHA (like Attuning) or INT (because it's Spellcasting), and BOOM you have more slots to use. The caveat here is that those slots are separate from your own, so you can't boost a spell using a mix of your slots and your weapon's. Alternatively, use an Invocation-style system that gives combat-specific buffs to your spells. This could get very complicated, but not any more so than the Sorcerer (and even then, probably less so).
Yeah, including damage buffs would be nice.
Not if there's this handy dandy (and well-formated! :smallbiggrin:) page that you can print out and put in your PHB.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-02, 12:29 AM

.. Improved Battle Casting. At 10th level, you can cast more powerful spells with the movements of your blade. When you take the attack action, you may cast any eldritch knight spell you know in place of one weapon attack you normally would make.
.. You can not use this ability in the same turn you use Battle Casting to cast a cantrip.
.. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a short or long rest.
Much more balanced, I like it. A Fighter attack is in the neighborhood of 2d6+5 (12) damage. A melee cantrip like shocking grasp scales with level up to 4d8 (18) damage. This gives you some burst and things to do with your spells in combat, but because of the short rest limitation you can't go to town with it and it provokes multiple ability dependency for balance.

I would note that Improved Battle Casting is also 1/round, like the ability above it.

.. Arcane Channeling. At 15th level, you gain the ability to charge your bonded weapon with the energy of your spells. On your turn, you can cast use a bonus action to cast an eldritch knight cantrip into your bonded weapon. The cantrip must have a single target and must require an attack roll. The next time you hit an opponent with your bonded weapon before the end of your turn, the cantrip is cast on that opponent, and automatically hits.
Not an attack roll. The proper term is "spell attack", as in, "the cantrip must have a single target and must require a spell attack".

Combined with Improved Battle Casting, this allows two cantrips per round, and the second one is reliable and doesn't replace a melee attack, and you can use it once per round. This is a very reliable flat bonus of 4d10 (20) damage if you're adding fire bolt.

I think it's extremely overpowered for an at-will ability (compared to, say, Great Weapon Master). Maybe restrict it to once per short rest? Maybe make it impose disadvantage on your attack roll because it's hard to keep the energy stable? Maybe make it prevent you from casting any other spells that round? Maybe change it to a spell storing ability that takes one action to apply the cantrip to your weapon so it's a pre-combat buff?

BRKNdevil
2014-10-02, 07:35 AM
Much more balanced, I like it. A Fighter attack is in the neighborhood of 2d6+5 (12) damage. A melee cantrip like shocking grasp scales with level up to 4d8 (18) damage. This gives you some burst and things to do with your spells in combat, but because of the short rest limitation you can't go to town with it and it provokes multiple ability dependency for balance.
How exactly is that Balanced? a Paladin would have to sacrifice a 4th level spell for that same boost and basically is the equivalent of 4 additional attacks. Especially since attack cantrips can now be criticalled with.

I think it's extremely overpowered for an at-will ability (compared to, say, Great Weapon Master). Maybe restrict it to once per short rest? Maybe make it impose disadvantage on your attack roll because it's hard to keep the energy stable? Maybe make it prevent you from casting any other spells that round? Maybe change it to a spell storing ability that takes one action to apply the cantrip to your weapon so it's a pre-combat buff? this entire section i can agree with.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2014-10-02, 10:33 AM
How exactly is that Balanced? a Paladin would have to sacrifice a 4th level spell for that same boost and basically is the equivalent of 4 additional attacks. Especially since attack cantrips can now be criticalled with.

Battle casting replaces the attack, so the damage difference between 2d6+5 (12) and 4d8 (18) is 6 points of damage at 20th level (and less at lower levels). I believe that the damage increase is comparable to maneuver dice, with a similar short rest limitation. I haven't read the maneuvers very closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

infinitetech
2014-10-04, 03:06 AM
this is a good eir 3/2 build, i like it, and works well with others

ImSAMazing
2015-06-02, 11:36 AM
EDIT-intro-thing:
I started this project fully intending to finish it. Sadly, as with a number of other projects I started, it had the misfortune of starting just as I lost the time I needed to put serious effort into it.
Various other posters have come to the conclusion that this is too powerful, and, after giving it some thought, I agree. I would recommend returning to the original number of spells per day as given in the Player's Handbook.
Also, Yakk made some suggestions for changing the class features in post #8 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18183296&postcount=8). I don't think it's as balanced as what I created (too many powers on top of the base fighter class), but I haven't seen either in play.

And here's the post.

It has been said that the Eldritch Knight Martial Archetype is a trap. That assessment is correct.
The archetype gains too little, too late. At level 20, why would you cast a single low-level spell and make one attack when you could be making four attacks? Without some serious modifications, the eldritch knight as put forth in the Player's Handbook is a crippled class.

I have decided to become the first in a long line of fighter fixers to take on a new challenge: fixing the fighter in the new edition. So far as a quick googling can tell, this is the first such fix on the major forums.

To fix this specialization, I have completely rewritten the archetype. Below, you will find... well, my revised version of the eldritch knight.

Note: This looks much better in a narrower viewing window, because it follows the formatting of the PH, which is meant for two-column pages.

Eldritch KnightFluffity fluff flavor fluff flavorful fluffiness. This section is not changed from the Player's Handbook.

Spellcasting:
When you reach 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells.
.. Cantrips. You learn two cantrips from the eldritch knight spell list. You learn additional eldritch knight cantrip at 9th level, and a fourth at 15th level.
.. Spell Slots. The Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
.. For example, if you know the 1st-level spell chromatic orb and have a 1st-level and a 2nd-level spell slot available, you can cast chromatic orb using either slot.
.. Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know two 1st-level spells of your choice from the eldritch knight spell list.
.. The Spells Known column of the Eldritch Knight Spellcasting table shows when you learn more Eldritch Knight spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 6th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
.. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the eldritch knight spells you know and replace it with another spell from the eldritch knight spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
.. Spellcasting Ability. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for your eldritch knight spells, since you learn your spells through study and memorization. You use your Intelligence whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your intelligence modifier when setting the saving throw DC for an eldritch knight spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Spell attack modifier = 10 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier

.. Improved Arcane Channeling. At 18th level, you can channel higher-level spells through your bonded weapon a limited number of times per day. On your turn, you can cast use a bonus action to cast an eldritch knight spell into your bonded weapon. The spell must have a single target and must require an attack roll. The next time you hit an opponent with your bonded weapon before the end of your turn, the spell is cast on that opponent, and automatically hits.
.. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your intelligence modifier. You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Eldritch Knight Spellcasting

Fighter
Cantrips
Spells
—Spell Slots per Spell Level—

Level
Known
Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

3rd
—
—
—
—

4th
—
—
—
—

5th
—
—
—
—

6th
—
—
—

7th
—
—
—

8th
—
—
—

9th
—
—
—

10th
—
—

11th
—
—

12th
—
—

13th
—
—

14th
—

15th
—

16th
—

17th
—

18th

19th

20th

I am currently working on the spell list, but may be busy for a few days. Until then, if you really badly want to use this, use the evocations and abjurations from the wizard list, plus expeditious retreat, longstrider, jump, blur, blink, hold person, haste, and hold monster.

This is the first draft. I rushed the higher-level abilities a bit in my eagerness to get this out, and because I didn't have many ideas. Any feedback and input would be much appreciated, and it might even end up in this post.

Thanks!

5 September 2014: Posted thread with intro and first version of the features.
Looks good, but can you tell me what is wrong with the original Eldritch Knight? I didn't play the archetype, but can you tell me why it is so bad you remade it?

Grynning
2015-06-03, 10:14 AM
Looks good, but can you tell me what is wrong with the original Eldritch Knight? I didn't play the archetype, but can you tell me why it is so bad you remade it?

I don't intend to speak for the OP, but this revision fixes what I thought was wrong with Eldritch Knight, which was that their casting/attacking action economy was extremely odd. The way the original subclass is written, you give up one of your major Fighter features (extra attacks every round) to only ever cast one spell and take one attack. It really wasn't worth it given the limited amount of spells the class had access to.

OP, I like this a lot, I'll be showing it to my friend/DM.

Jstone0105
2015-06-14, 08:55 AM
To all who think bonded weapon is super weak, I'd just like to offer a different view. I use EK in a campaign and use a trident as a primary throwing weapon. As the bonded weapon is returned as a bonus action I can throw it return it and throw it again. Limited advantage here I know but for my characters purposes, works amazingly. Also who ever put out the channel spell into the weapon, so I could load a spell into the weapon make an attack that unleashes the spell, awesome. I worked out with my DM to trade abjuration for illusion since I'm a gnome EK, but being able to load chromatic orb or firebolt into my trident then throw it at a dude to unleash the spell recall it to me then fling it again... Stellar! I didn't see the post ever present an EK spell list but yeah being able to haste or mage armor as a fighter would be supreme.

jkat718
2015-06-14, 10:47 AM
@Jstone0105: Yeah, one of my players does that, too. He dual-wields hand axes, so I let him bond to two light weapons with a single Bonded Weapon slot, using the Dual Wielder feat.

Amnoriath
2015-06-14, 11:07 AM
So, on top of being a half caster now it can cast 2 spells and make 3 attacks as well as movement and reaction. Not only is this major nova potential the fact it can use cantrips but optimally it means 4 attacks adding another 4 damage die consistently. While the original had some stunted growth issues in comparison to other gishes it at least had a couple interesting features to diversify its abilities without overpowering consistently.

Amnoriath
2015-06-14, 11:10 AM
Battle casting replaces the attack, so the damage difference between 2d6+5 (12) and 4d8 (18) is 6 points of damage at 20th level (and less at lower levels). I believe that the damage increase is comparable to maneuver dice, with a similar short rest limitation. I haven't read the maneuvers very closely, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Arcane Channeling though doesn't and cantrips were designed to be balanced against entire Attack actions with Extra Attacks and a meaningful feat so it is still a damage boost.

orcsorcerer
2015-08-01, 03:29 PM
Wouldn't it be better that the eldritch knight gets to upgrade his common bond with his weapon, where instead he can use his bonded weapon as an arcane focus, and he can use his weapon as a spell storing weapon, thereby bypassing the arcane channeling problem, and allow a stored spell to progress with him so he could store a fifth level spell at 18th level into his weapon. It would make sense that he would be craftier in combat since this is essentially a wizard-fighter multiclass (not completely)