PDA

View Full Version : FR "Techsmith" Questions

Diarmuid
2007-03-09, 02:19 PM
I'm building a Techsmith from the FR Faith's & Pantheon book and I'm a little confused with some specifics about the "Gondsman" construct that he will have as his companion.

A: Would it be proficient with weapons/armor?
B: Would it have skill points?
B2: What would it's class skills be
C: Would it get feats?

Now, I am leaning towards it being proficient with weapons based on verbiage in the PrC description, but cant confirm that as the monster advancement section of the SRD would ask me to "Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry.". The construct traits include a cut and dry "Proficient with no armor.", yet the picture in the book shows the gondsman in question with a shield strapped to it's arm.

As for the skills/feats parts I'm completely at a loss. From the SRD monster type part "Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die, if the construct has an Intelligence score. However, most constructs are mindless and gain no skill points or feats." Ok, I know this isnt some simple mindless golem, so I'm leaning towards it having skill points. But...how to allocate them? Is everything a class skill, nothing?

And for feats...the only thing I have to go on is this quote from the advancing monsters section of the SRD, "All types have a number of feats equal to 1 + 1 per 3 Hit Dice."

Thanks in advance for any answers/comments.

silentknight
2007-03-10, 01:32 AM
Not sure about the armor and weapon proficiencies but if a creature has an Intelligence score of " - " (which most constructs do) then it does not get skills or feats. Period.

If your construct does have an Int score, then I would guess that all skills would be cross-class (since none are stated in it's description) and all feats would be eligible if the construct can qualify for them.

Edit: Spot, Listen, Jump, Climb would seem like good skills to put points into for a construct.