PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Springbok; The jumping Prestige

AtlasSniperman
2014-09-06, 12:12 AM
Requirements:
Skills: Balance 9 ranks, Tumble 9 ranks, Jump 12 ranks
Feats: Combat Reflexes, [Combat Acrobat] or [Agile Athlete and Run]
Special: To qualify for this prestige class a character needs to have Combat Reflexes, as well as EITHER Combat Acrobat or Agile Athlete and Run. Certain class abilities require one or the other, if a character has both sets, he must chose which type of class ability he gains. Once the choice is made it cannot be changed.

Hit Dice: d6
Class Skills: Balance(Dex), Climb(Str), Craft(Int), Hide(Dex), Jump(Str), Knowledge(architecture and engineering)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Perform(Cha), Profession(Wis), Search(Int), Spot(Wis), Tumble(Dex)
Skill Points at each level: 6+Int Modifier

Level

BaseAttack

Fort

Ref

Will

Acrobatic Roll

Special

1st

+0

+2

+2

+0

20 ft.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery

2nd

+1

+3

+3

+0

20 ft.

Hotstep

3rd

+2

+3

+3

+1

40 ft.

Evasion

4th

+3

+4

+4

+1

40 ft.

Master Ascender or Swift Runner

5th

+3

+4

+4

+1

60 ft.

Wall-Kick or City-Shielded

6th

+4

+5

+5

+2

60 ft.

Attack on the Run

7th

+5

+5

+5

+2

80 ft.

Crash

8th

+6/+1

+6

+6

+2

80 ft.

Falling Opportunist

9th

+6/+1

+6

+6

+3

100 ft.

Sprinting Flanker

10th

+7

+7

+7

+3

100 ft.

On the Wind

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Springbok's gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Acrobatic Roll: When landing from a fall, a Springbok may perform an acrobatic roll to lessen his impact. To perform an acrobatic roll, the springbok can move up to a number of squares depending on his level to decrease the fall damage of the fall by 20ft per square moved. The Springbok may move into an adjacent square, except the square he moved FROM, or any square adjacent to it.
A springbok can ONLY use his acrobatic roll when using the jump down action, or when using the "Falling Opportunist" or "On the wind" abilities(see below)
This ability functions similar to a Monk's Slow fall ability, but does not require an adjacent wall. Slow Fall and Acrobatic Roll do stack

Acrobatic Skill Mastery: The Springbok is so agile that he can make use of certain skills reliably even under adverse conditions. Upon gaining the first level of this prestige class, when making a Jump or Tumble check, he may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent him from doing so.
At 4th level, If the Springbok has selected Combat Acrobat for class abilities, he can also always take 10 on Climb checks. He also gains the ability to always take 10 on Balance checks at 7th level.
At 4th level, if the Springbok has selected Agile Athlete for class abilities, he can always take 10 on Balance checks. He also gains the ability to always take 10 on Climb checks at 7th level.

Hotstep(Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a springbok's balance and grip become so sure that he ignores modifiers to Balance, Climb and Tumble checks from slippery surfaces

Evasion(Ex): A 3rd level, a Springbok gains the evasion ability. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Springbok is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Springbok (such as one who is unconscious of paralyzed) does not gain the benefit of the ability.

At 4th level a springbok gains either Master Ascender OR Swift Runner.
Master Ascender: A 4th level springbok, who focus' on Combat Acrobat, gains a climb speed equal to half his normal land speed. In addition he gains a +8 bonus on Climb checks
Swift Runner: A 4th level springbok, who focus' on Agile Athlete, gains the ability to ignore difficult terrain whilst running or charging.

At 5th level a springbok gains either Wall-Warrior OR City-shielded
Wall-Warrior: At 5th level, a springbok who focus' on Combat Acrobat, gains a special combat maneuver "Wall kick". If a target is adjacent to any large vertical surface the springbok can climb, the springbok may make a move action through the target's square similar to as described in the tumble skill in Player's Handbook p.84. When the Springbok does this he may make an attack of opportunity against the target's flat-footed ac. The springbok must have a 20ft running start to do this, and cannot perform this maneuver more than once per round.
City-Shielded: At 5th level, a springbok who focus' on Agile Athlete gains the ability to utilize his environment in his defense. While in any area with a high density of objects; dungeons, citys, jungles etc, he may add his Intelligence modifier to armorclass.

Attack on the Run: At 6th level, a Springbok gains the benefit of the Spring Attack, and Shot on the Run feats when wearing light or no armor, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Crash: When a springbok becomes skilled enough with his acrobatic roll, he becomes able to dispurse his fall damage into a single target rather than a momentum roll. Doing so requires a successful touch attack against the target, suffering a -2 penalty per 20 foot fallen. If successful, the target takes 1d6 points of damage per 10ft the springbok fell. The springbok also takes 1d6 fall damage when attempting a Crash attack.

Falling Opportunist: When falling past an opponent, a springbok can use his superior speed to strike at the minutist opportunity. If an 8th level or higher springbok falls past a target, he may make an attack of opportunity against the target. If he decides not to, the target cannot himself make an attack of opportunity against the springbok

Sprinting Flanker: By timing a fakeout just right, a sprinting Springbok can attempt to assist an ally in a fight. If a springbok moves through a square from where he WOULD grant an ally flanking during a move action, he can elect to grant that ally the benefit of flanking for that round only. The Springbok cannot use this ability to flank multiple opponents, or grant himself flanking. This ability also does not prevent the opponent from taking an attack of opportunity on the springbok if it is eligible

On the Wind: The greatest, and most skilled springbok's have perfected the art of jumping and falling such that they can effectively "ride" strong enough winds. The Springbok replaces the wind effects from the Dungeon Master's Guide p.95 with the following effects.

Wind Force

Wind Speed

Benefit

Strong

21-30mph

Special

Severe

31-50mph

Free Running Start

Windstorm

51-74mph

Half longjump DC

Hurricane or higher

75+ mph

Half highjump DC, Fall damage adjustment

Special: Small characters gain benefits as if the wind is one level worse. So a small springbok in Strong winds gains the benefit of "Free running start"
Free running start: A springbok in severe or worse winds needn't make a 20ft. Running start when making a jump check
Half Longjump DC: The Longjump DC's are halved in this wind level
Half Highjump DC: The Highjump DC's are halved in this wind level
Fall damage adjustment: For purposes of Springbok abilities, treat any distance fallen in this wind level as halved. E.g. A springbok 'falling' 80 ft to "Crash" an opponent, only deals damage as if he fell 40ft

AtlasSniperman
2014-09-07, 05:41 PM
No-one has opinions or feedback

Debihuman
2014-09-15, 04:04 AM
Rolling from a fall (Acrobatic Roll) can be a very bad thing. You could fall onto a ledge and roll off it. In fact, if I were the DM, I'd enforce that that the Springbok HAS to roll and can't stop it since there is nothing in the mechanic that makes it possible. This makes me want to have as many well placed hazards near places where PCs are likely to fall.

What happens when you fall into water? And falling into lava could be deadly if you roll in the wrong direction (apparently you do not have control over which direction you roll).

By the way, why does this occur from a fall instead of from Jumping Down?

Jumping Down
If you intentionally jump from a height, you take less damage than you would if you just fell. The DC to jump down from a height is 15. You do not have to get a running start to jump down, so the DC is not doubled if you do not get a running start.

If you succeed on the check, you take falling damage as if you had dropped 10 fewer feet than you actually did.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery is overpowered at level 1. . I could see too many players taking a dip in that just to avoid making skill checks. It should apply to the Jump skill ONLY. You should scale it so that each skill is gained at a higher level. You should be clearer that the PC can take 10 ONLY when rushed or threatened. They are always under stress and often distracted. Could a PC climb while fighting? Technically with the way this is worded, he could.

Evasion is standard rogue ability. Okay but not terribly innovative.

4th level abilities are quite good. Well done and good for making the prerequisites mean something. Needs an OR so that it is clear that you cannot take both.

Wall Warrior doesn't make sense to me. Where does the Springbok land if he moves through a target's square? There has to be a spot or does he crash into the wall? If the target and Springbok are both Medium sized, they can be in the same 5-foot space but they cannot fight in the same 5-foot space.

Attack on the Run should probably be limited to a Charge.

Crash should require a successful melee Touch attack.

On the Wind is just weird. There is a mechanic missing that allows them to be unaffected by the force of great winds or the ability doesn't make sense. If you can't move forward, how is jumping going to help? You can't jump if you are knocked down by the wind.

Winds 31-50 mph knock down Small creatures and Medium ones are checked i.e. "Creatures are unable to move forward against the force of the wind. Flying creatures are blown back 1d6×5 feet"

In Hurricane winds, Large and smaller creatures are Blown Away, i.e. "Creatures on the ground are knocked prone and rolled 1d4×10 feet, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet. Flying creatures are blown back 2d6×10 feet and take 2d6 points of nonlethal damage due to battering and buffeting."

Debby

AtlasSniperman
2014-09-15, 07:28 AM
Rolling from a fall (Acrobatic Roll) can be a very bad thing. You could fall onto a ledge and roll off it. In fact, if I were the DM, I'd enforce that that the Springbok HAS to roll and can't stop it since there is nothing in the mechanic that makes it possible. This makes me want to have as many well placed hazards near places where PCs are likely to fall.

What happens when you fall into water? And falling into lava could be deadly if you roll in the wrong direction (apparently you do not have control over which direction you roll).

By the way, why does this occur from a fall instead of from Jumping Down?

Acrobatic Skill Mastery is overpowered at level 1. . I could see too many players taking a dip in that just to avoid making skill checks. It should apply to the Jump skill ONLY. You should scale it so that each skill is gained at a higher level. You should be clearer that the PC can take 10 ONLY when rushed or threatened. They are always under stress and often distracted. Could a PC climb while fighting? Technically with the way this is worded, he could.

Evasion is standard rogue ability. Okay but not terribly innovative.

4th level abilities are quite good. Well done and good for making the prerequisites mean something. Needs an OR so that it is clear that you cannot take both.

Wall Warrior doesn't make sense to me. Where does the Springbok land if he moves through a target's square? There has to be a spot or does he crash into the wall? If the target and Springbok are both Medium sized, they can be in the same 5-foot space but they cannot fight in the same 5-foot space.

Attack on the Run should probably be limited to a Charge.

Crash should require a successful melee Touch attack.

On the Wind is just weird. There is a mechanic missing that allows them to be unaffected by the force of great winds or the ability doesn't make sense. If you can't move forward, how is jumping going to help? You can't jump if you are knocked down by the wind.

Winds 31-50 mph knock down Small creatures and Medium ones are checked i.e. "Creatures are unable to move forward against the force of the wind. Flying creatures are blown back 1d6×5 feet"

In Hurricane winds, Large and smaller creatures are Blown Away, i.e. "Creatures on the ground are knocked prone and rolled 1d4×10 feet, taking 1d4 points of nonlethal damage per 10 feet. Flying creatures are blown back 2d6×10 feet and take 2d6 points of nonlethal damage due to battering and buffeting."t

Debby

Thank you for the reply, if you'll permit, I will respond to each point in turn.

Acrobatic roll: this is a case of my bad writing. The intention is that the springbok can roll a number of squares of his choice, reducing the fall damage by 20ft each, to a maximum amount.
And you seem to be confused about jumping down, the roll can only be used when jumping down, or when using other clasd abilities. I think you may have skipped.reading this.
Acrobatic skill mastery: I see your point here, I agree, and will modify it when I have a moment.

4th level: an "or" is included in the progression table, and explained in entry requirements. Though by your commenting on it I can see that the or may also be needed near the descriptions. Will fix this soon.

Wall warrior: this was terribly explained fromthe beginning, its not just you. I will be overhauling the wording of this upon theupdate.

Attack on the run: attack on the run is the spring attack feat. Almost word for word.

Crash: it does require a touch attack. With range penalties for distance fallen.

On the wind: I was under the impression I included this note, upon rereading I find myself wrong. You are correct that.an immunity to wind effects mechanic should be included... will be included.

Thank you for your feedback.

Debihuman
2014-09-15, 09:17 AM
Attack on the run: attack on the run is the spring attack feat. Almost word for word.

It would have been preferable if you had said that the Springbok gains the Spring Attack feat as a bonus feat at that level, even if the springbok does not meet the prerequisites. However, the springbok still cannot use this feat if the springbok is in heavy armor.

Immunity to wind effects is going to be really overpowered. You might want to limit it to natural weather only and not to weather created by spells or supernatural effects.

Debby

AtlasSniperman
2014-09-15, 08:38 PM
Various parts updated. I appreciate the feedback.
Still need to write fluff though