PDA

View Full Version : What does your name mean?

Pages : [1] 2

Sam de Cheese
2007-03-09, 02:51 PM
Hi this is one i saw on the weebls-stuff forums, i thought i would ask it here.

what does your name mean (thats your forum name, i'm not trying to track you down). I'll start us off:

Sam de Cheese

Sam means Sam, it's my name (believe it or not)

"de" is french for "of".

Cheese is a dairy product that is made by... um... I really should know.... anyway cheese is awsome, u gotta have cheese

so, put together, its Sam of Cheese. It's what they had in ye middle ages, like "Arthur de Caldicot" which would mean he's somone called Arthur, from Caldicot, who is important enough for a title.

was this just a little condescending?

Castaras
2007-03-09, 03:02 PM
Castaras was created using a few random letters.

Want to know what it means?

Grumble Grumble I'm not a spanish town... (http://maps.google.es/maps?oi=eu_map&q=C%C3%A1staras&hl=en)

Exachix
2007-03-09, 03:07 PM
Exachix is totally unique. It was made frome a base of two Xes. But I don't really remember it's own source.
Prolari is a twist on 'Polaris' - the Pole Star.
Zephyr is a wind, related to Air, one of my favoured Elements (the other being fire). (Zephyr (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zephyr) - not all good, not all bad)

pestilenceawaits
2007-03-09, 03:22 PM
my name comes with a long story several years ago (like 12 or 15) some friends and I were joking about a nice guy evil warlord that had health benefits, day care, profit sharing etc. for his minions. we decided to name him after one of the 4 horsemen of apocalypse we were even making a script for the idea and I worked up a simple webpage (long since disappearing into the ether) since pestilence was still waiting to take off in his world defeating schemes my name became pestilenceawaits and I have used it on various threads forever now.

The Orange Zergling
2007-03-09, 03:34 PM
I found an avatar up for adoption (kind of) I really liked back when we could alter our names, and named myself "The Orange Zergling". Then I had to make a new account to accomodate the board switch... so I put in the name that I was before the switch.

Jiktori
2007-03-09, 03:48 PM
Series of random syllables. That I came up with when thinking up a character name on DDO, I now use it for a few sites.
100% unique, in fact, if you want to stalk me, you can just google my name.

kialos
2007-03-09, 03:54 PM
Kialos (Pronounced: Ka-LOS) came about when I was trying to make a profile for another forum, and "Kail" was not excepted, which was the one I wanted... so I fiddled until I got this one...

sktarq
2007-03-09, 04:02 PM
Sktarq-is actually said eSs-Kay-Tark ....
S and K are my initials....
Tarq is short for Tarquin which is a nickname of mine a few friends took to using after finding out that it was the name my father wanted to name me but my mother shot it down.

averagejoe
2007-03-09, 04:05 PM
A few factors went into choosing my name. "Average Joe" is a phrase meaning a regular guy. You know, "Just your average Joe." I don't know if I could be considered an average joe, but it isn't like there's a strict definition of the qualities of an average Joe. Basically I wanted to have a "real" name, but in such a way so that it wouldn't necessarily be my name. I also considered Joe Cool, but I'm too humble for that, Jack Robbinson (as in, faster than you can say Jack Robinson), which I'm not altogether sure I shouldn't have done, and Fancy Dan, but I felt that was too obscure, and a few others.

Vaynor
2007-03-09, 04:10 PM
Vaynor is my first D&D character, and the name I generally use on teh internets. Gnome druid ftw! :smallsmile:

Voleta
2007-03-09, 04:13 PM
For a moment I thought this was a "real life what is your name" thread, and was all prepared to offer evidence why Katherine means 'torture' and is an ode to an evil goddess rather than 'peace' or whatever the beejeebie my mother claimed. Ah well, go back in your corner, literary historian!

Anyway, Voleta. Feminine bastardization of vole, an adorable little mouse-like creature that will bite the canoodle out of your hand when you try to mess with it. Why such a name? I was playing a gnome warrior in Everquest. She, like me, was petite and adorable, and kind to everyone. Friendly to a fault. But, if you mess with her (or me) the wrong way, i will do everything I possibly can to make you, and everyone you care about, wish you had never been born. Course, the hatred and murdering stops after about two seconds, but for a little while there.. BEWARE! Cue evil laughter.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-09, 04:14 PM
Neophyte (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neophyte). As for my particular capitalization/addition of a '|' into the word, 'twas originally a mockery of a fellow gamer's Handle (DISS|Troyed), but I decided that I liked it, so I've kept it.

bingo_bob
2007-03-09, 04:17 PM
I did NOT actually get Bingo Bob from West Wing, it was a name that popped into my head in 6th grade, when I was doodling to see how many different ways I could kill a stickman. The number got up there, and eventually he got a name, that I used when I came to the forum.

My ACTUAL name means either 'Victory' or 'A young hound'. Guess which one my ancestry used. Bloody Celtic ancestors...

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-09, 04:22 PM
Mine is a reference to my good friends. And my nickname, "Hatred".

*hugs*... :)

Eldred
2007-03-09, 04:29 PM
My name is the name of one of the main characters in my book. Yay for literature!

Strengfellow
2007-03-09, 04:44 PM
Strengfellow Hawk is the hero of the oft lamented lost show Airwolf, and
my Dwarf Paladin.
Lord the Lord Chief Gem Cutter Strengfellow Hawk Paladin of Ulric, don't blame me for the obscenely long sobriquet, in a homebrew world where we were assigned characters against type all I got to choose was the Strengfellow Hawk bit.

Totally Guy
2007-03-09, 04:46 PM
Glug means doomed to failure.

(but trying hard despite that)

Calamity
2007-03-09, 04:52 PM
Mine means a disaster, but you probably knew that anyway. I am a disaster!

Jack Squat
2007-03-09, 04:57 PM
Mine is how much I know :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-09, 05:00 PM
Mine is how much I know :smalltongue:

...really, it's how much he thinks he knows. Jack's a pretty smart guy.

Hephaestus
2007-03-09, 05:03 PM
God of craftsmen in Greek Mythology, My favorite god of my favorite panthenon.

Although, on other forums I used the name Morotis, don't know why I didn't use it this time though, just decided against it.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-03-09, 05:05 PM
I like wizards. I like leather books. Combine the two. My avatar was inspired by Gilean from Dragonlance. Important things are written in the book.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-03-09, 05:12 PM
Rex Idiotarum is Latin for The King of the Idiots, which can either mean I'm the Fool of Fools, or a leader of those easily fooled into believing my tricks. I'll let you decide.

ufo
2007-03-09, 05:22 PM
Walking besides the mini-forest in my school, and all of sudden BOOM! two of my friends appear from the forest and informs me that my last name "hides" the name "ufo".

I eventually adopted it through my years on the innernet/intarnet/KABOOMnet.

And don't capitalize the "u", or you may face trouble involving loss of insestines.

:smallbiggrin:

Strengfellow
2007-03-09, 05:31 PM
I dont understand 1337 speak, does that mean im il1337erate?
Or are those who use 1337 being e1337ist?

Gerrtt
2007-03-09, 05:32 PM
Gerrtt (adj), pronounced: gurt
1. def; a name given to Garrett Anthony by Sarah Diggs in the 10th grade. The name stuck. Usage; "Hey, call Gerrtt up and see if he wants to eat pizza with us tonight."
2. Alt. Spelling: \Gurt\, n. (Mining) A gutter or channel for water, hewn out of the bottom of a working drift. Usage; "Hey Gerrtt, make sure you clean that gurt out or the water will get backed up and we'll have a nasty mess on our hands."

Amiria
2007-03-09, 05:32 PM
Amiria was just a nice-sounding combination of phonemes that came to my mind when I needed a name for one of my favorite (A)D&D characters many years ago.

But some moons ago I discovered that it is a real female Maori name and means "industrious". And it is actually fitting for that character. :smallsmile: She is a very industrious little transmutress and reached 18th level before her 20th birthday. She is always adventuring or researching spells or or making magic items. But as a result of this, Amiria also has little social life. :smallsigh: You may meet her in her tower in the Town where she lives quite reclusive and hasn't ventured from it for a long time. Formerly she used to go to Trog's Tavern often and chatted, drank cocktails and sometimes she even played the lute and sang there.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-09, 05:47 PM
A Broken Butterfly is a magnum from Resident Evil 4.

I always felt that the two words gelled together really well so I used it here, and for a few other internet sites.

Glaivemaster
2007-03-09, 05:53 PM
A glaive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive) is a polearm. I am a a Glaivemaster, a master of the glaive. Simple, no?

I came up with the name because I liked glaives at the time that I created my first email address, and it stuck.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-09, 05:55 PM
Mine means "Snow Demon". Doesn't really fit my avatar, does it?

Brickwall
2007-03-09, 05:55 PM
Take a guess. If you guess wrong, I get to kill you.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-03-09, 05:56 PM
Your name's a composite of Archduke Bric and King Kwall?

Brickwall
2007-03-09, 05:59 PM
><

Doh! I was hoping nobody would get it! Dammit! Who but the King of the Idiots could have gotten that?!

No, actually, I have no idea what the hell you're babbling about. Die, pogo-sticker! *katana*

Nevrmore
2007-03-09, 05:59 PM
A Broken Butterfly is a magnum from Resident Evil 4.
That thing was the entire reason I beat Salazar's true form. All hail the Broken Butterfly.

Carnelian
2007-03-09, 06:06 PM
Carnelian is another name for the reddish brown shades of the stone Chalcedony. It is also the official color name of the campbell's soup can red and cornell university's official color.

Druid
2007-03-09, 06:08 PM
Druids were originally the priest class in ancient Celtic society. It has since then been used as a character class in DnD and video games, usually some kind of nature oriented caster. I chose it because it's my favorite class in DnD.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-09, 06:13 PM
mine's pretty self explanitory. There's really no hidden meaning behind it. although about a year or so ago, I started using the screen name/user name of gelatinouscube. But, when I signed up here I wanted to be a bit more creative.

Timberwolf
2007-03-09, 06:17 PM
Howl, howl, woof woof.

Also, stomp stomp stomp, shoot shoot
http://ppc.warhawkenterprises.com/intshots/timbcoastppcs.jpg

Baalzebub
2007-03-09, 07:10 PM
My name comes from the Lord of the Seventh layer of Hell, Maladomini, the great Baalzebub, Lord of Flies, Lord of Lies, the Slug King. He is a fallen Angel named Triel (one of the most beautifull angels in Celestia), who, after the Reckoning or the Dies Irae in Hell, fell from the grace of Asmodeus and was converted into a giant slug.

Still, he commands the 7th layer of Hell, and is considered one of the mightiest beings in all hell.

The_Chilli_God
2007-03-09, 08:07 PM
The Chilli God is a deity that some people in America pray to just before their chilli cook-offs (Or so I gather), though usually only in jest and in their myspace pages or blogs or what-have-you.
He (I) is currently part of the Produce Pantheon, and is on very good terms with the God of Pepper, whom he occasionally provides favors for (Like helping with renovation projects and being generally good friends).

Chilli (Chili in America) is, of course, some sort of red or green fruit which is globally renowned for its spiciness and use in America, North and South.

Mr. Moon
2007-03-09, 08:14 PM
Moon Called was my very first Role-Play character, a human Cheiftess of a guild known as the Dragon Riders. Not very original, I know, but she was my first, so she still holds a dear place in my heart.

She's also very different from the Town's Moon Called.

MeklorIlavator
2007-03-09, 08:31 PM
Well, mines not very original at all. Meklor is another name for Morgoth[sp?] (the ultimate evil in Middle earth), and Ilavator is another name for Eu, the ultimate god of Middle earth. I liked the names and the story, and so I combined the two, creating a paradox at the same time, like my Sig suggests.

Jiktori
2007-03-09, 08:33 PM
Can you see the paradox?

I can now!

Shadow of the Sun
2007-03-09, 08:33 PM
Not much. I got bored of my usual forum name and this one popped into my head. My other idea was Anathema.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-03-09, 08:35 PM
I was originally a robot. And I use it for everything else, too.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-03-09, 09:19 PM
Mine means, finality and justice.

Also:Death is either the cessation of life in a living organism or the state of the organism after that event.

Death, personified is a personification of death as an anthropomorphic figure or a fictional character who has existed in mythology and popular culture since the earliest days of storytelling. Because the reality of death has had a substantial influence on the human psyche and the development of civilization as a whole, the personification of Death as a living, sentient entity is a concept that has existed in all known societies since the beginnings of recorded history.

Death was nonexistent in the doll games. The only known loss of a doll character, the much-cited "Death of Laurie," happened "offstage" and was never mentioned within the doll world. ..

^Darn, I never made it to doll stage.

Xerillum
2007-03-09, 09:30 PM
hmm, Xerillum... I think I used a random name generator, and tweaked it a little.

It is in every way unique. if you google it, you get this: Xerillum (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Xerillum&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

Haruspex
2007-03-09, 09:37 PM
Someone who tells the future by looking at livers. Ironically, I don't like to eat liver.

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-09, 09:40 PM
A Skenardo that is Great.
Or possibly The Skenardo who is Great.

Jack Squat
2007-03-09, 09:42 PM
ok...so what's a Skenardo?

Eldritch Knight
2007-03-09, 09:43 PM
Eldritch Knight is one of my favorite D&D prestige classes. (Especially after I made one into a Lich.......)

My real (last) name means "Son of Fire", (Or son of a sheepherder.) (I know for a fact the first is true.)

Brickwall
2007-03-09, 09:45 PM
It is in every way unique. if you google it, you get this: Xerillum (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Xerillum&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

You kick ass in my book. Anyone who's #1 in a Google search is better than anyone on Wikipedia. If you're both, you're worthy of being quoted if you ever say something original and funny.

The Great Skenardo
2007-03-09, 09:46 PM
You kick ass in my book. Anyone who's #1 in a Google search is better than anyone on Wikipedia. If you're both, you're worthy of being quoted if you ever say something original and funny.

Sweet. Guess I'll have to get new +2 boots of butt-kickery

DocZoid
2007-03-09, 10:08 PM
Errr..
I'm a fan of Futurama. Thus..DocZoid..Dr. Zoidberg. I believe I shortened it for videogaming purposes.

Yes, it's really quite clever.

13_CBS
2007-03-09, 10:27 PM
A cookie to whoever can guess where my name comes from. :D

Hint; Bungie.

Hint 2: 13_CBS = 13 Chain Blood Spider.

Lord Magtok
2007-03-09, 11:07 PM
My forum name? Well, Lord is just a prefix to make it look neat, and Magtok was just some thing that randomly came to me when I was trying to come up with a good name for a villain.

I googled it, and found out its actually means 'core' in Finnish. Weird, especially since I don't even speak Finnish.

Its also some place in Alaska. Woo! There's a location that bears my name!

Vaynor
2007-03-10, 01:09 AM
I just googled Vaynor and apparently I am also a small town in Wales. Interesting.

Pollux
2007-03-10, 01:14 AM
It's a star in the constellation Gemini, and a minor Greek/Roman deity.

J_Muller
2007-03-10, 01:37 AM
My name is just a pseudonym I made up one day.

But, incidentally, my real last name is also a town in Minnesota.

B-Man
2007-03-10, 01:41 AM
There's a long meaning in my display name that I now feel comfortable sharing with everyone.

Awhile after my mum divorced my father, I assumed my mum's last name due to my hatred toward my father, but it was as a nickname (starts with a B). Fast-forward to Grade 7. I wanted a 'cooler' nickname, so I assumed B-Man. My friends accepted it and now I'm always called B-Man IRL by them (unless I steal their food, backpacks, reading material, MP3 players, Gameboys, Gamecube controllers, etc).

But starting after an encounter with my father in Grade 10, B-Man took a different meaning. It was more a combination of my two family names (father's last name begins with Man). Now I'm legally changing my last name to my mum's last name to eliminate any association with my father's side of the family (well, I cannot escape genetics I guess). Now B-Man is more symbolic of my separation from my father's side of the family.

Trog
2007-03-10, 02:30 AM
Right. Well Trog is short for Troglodyte. I picked it because I had drawn several different OotS-like creatures for counters for an adventure I was creating. When I joined the forums I wanted to use my own drawings for an avatar and I liked the Troglodyte best. Called him Trog.

When the Town was first started I thought it was a great idea and wanted to open up a place of my own. Maybe an Inn or something. But Tavern just seemed to sound better. Thus, a bit unwittingly, Trog's Tavern was born.

I have Trog talk in third person because I always really liked it when Cerebus did this in the Cerebus comics by Dave Sim. Trog's smart ass lecherous and sarcastic persona... well... largely comes from me. Only somehow Trog is cooler than me. I wanted him to have the Rick from Casablanca / Rat Pack tavern owner vibe. So there is that mixed in. Plus Trog doesn't put up with much crap from other people bringing him down. To a certain extent I can be the same way at times.

Trog's alternate name of Clovis, to represent his true form of a Satyr, I picked semi randomly because I remember hearing the name in (once again) Cerebus, And I believe he was a king or something way back when, plus it sounded a bit like "cloven" as in cloven-hoofed.

On a wierdly connected to me note I can say that on the whole my self esteem wasn't that great when I started posting in the forums and a Troglodyte seemed somehow fitting for how I felt about myself. As I started to gain a bit of confidence and acceptance on the boards the concept of being more than that was hatched in my mind. Inside this scaly disreputable Tavern owner was an inner strength and confidence and a raging libido waiting to escape. Which is also... er... autobiographical. :smallredface:

For the most part I still struggle with seeing myself as a Troglodyte but every once in a while I see the Clovis in me shine through. Thes has helped with that. Especially the libido part *eyebrow waggle of suggestiveness +5* Rrrrrowr! :smallwink: :smallbiggrin: :smalltongue:

Amotis
2007-03-10, 02:37 AM
HA! (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=PiG&q=amotis&btnG=Search)

Random Banter is also right under it, huh.

edito - oh and to make it clear...I am not a twenty year old woman from north carolina...

Dragor
2007-03-10, 02:43 AM
'Dragor' is the surname for my first ever AD&D character, Gloin Dragor the Dwarf Fighter. 'Gloin' I nicked from the LOTR books, and 'Dragor' I made up. Simple....

And Amotis... I think some people on Google like you. It's quite scary. :smalltongue:

Amotis
2007-03-10, 02:46 AM
Isn't google order based on how many hits a site gets?

Tabmow
2007-03-10, 03:00 AM
It's wombat.
Backwards.

Green Bean
2007-03-10, 03:08 AM
h_v stands for haricot vert (green bean). It's based on a single line in the very awesome book Ender's Shadow (yes, I am a book nerd)

*googles name*

Score! Top of the world, ma!

V Junior
2007-03-10, 03:42 AM
'V' is short for Vaarsuvius. Junior is to be a younger version of another. So I'm Vaarsuvius Junior.

Jibar
2007-03-10, 05:46 AM
Jibar roughly translates from Cat-Muffin to English as: The Super-McAwesome.
I believe it translates from Cat-Muffin to Swahili as: Jungle Catholic

Truly, I was destined for great things.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-10, 06:00 AM

Dude, I rock. (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Yuki+Akuma&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).

ufo
2007-03-10, 06:03 AM
Well, mines not very original at all. Meklor is another name for Morgoth[sp?] (the ultimate evil in Middle earth), and Ilavator is another name for Eu, the ultimate god of Middle earth. I liked the names and the story, and so I combined the two, creating a paradox at the same time, like my Sig suggests.

Well, actually, it's Melkor not Meklor, and it's Morgoth that's another name for Melkor, not the other way around

[/playing intelligent]

:smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-03-10, 06:37 AM
Series of random syllables. That I came up with when thinking up a character name on DDO, I now use it for a few sites.
100% unique, in fact, if you want to stalk me, you can just google my name.

Same here.
Googling you gets a lot more hits than googling me, though. Unless you show repeat hits.

Glaivemaster
2007-03-10, 07:19 AM
Googling brings me to the top of the list in giantitp, even above the card with the same name. I can also spot myself on mtgSalvation further down on the first page. And I've also spotted another glaivemaster, who may be the one to have stolen my proper name for gmail and yahoo *shakes fist*

Gorbash
2007-03-10, 07:44 AM
Gorbash is the name of a green dragon from the cartoon The Flight of Dragons, my favourite cartoon of all times.

Susan
2007-03-10, 07:44 PM
I'm a Johnny Cash fan.

A big hug goes out to anyone who understands.

Dragonrider
2007-03-10, 07:44 PM
Dragonrider is pretty simple. It started out as just Elithia, which I made up for a game my brothers and I were playing when I was about ten. I figured out later that "Elithia" could mean "starmoon" in Tolkien's Sindarin, at which point I felt pretty proud of myself. Elithia evolved into a character in a story with a dragon for a best friend. Therefore, Elithia Dragonrider. Elithia, Dragonrider, and Soggy Poptart are my three main screen names.

Orzel
2007-03-10, 08:08 PM
Orzel is the name of 6 of my characters (all clones)

The original Orzel's mom ask his dad what his name shoud be. The father said Jon Jr. or Zel. The stupid town scribe recorded Jonjunior Orzel as his name. Orzel ignored the first name because it's a stupid name.

Kamakazee_Gnome
2007-03-10, 10:24 PM
I chose a name based off of my first character: a dual-axe-wielding gnome fighter who was often thrown into combat.

Extra_Crispy
2007-03-11, 12:42 AM
Gorbash is the name of a green dragon from the cartoon The Flight of Dragons, my favourite cartoon of all times.

I love that cartoon!! Found my copy of it recently and made my friends watch it, it is too good a cartoon not to share with the world

Anyway my name is sorta a nickname and I have a strange/sick since of humor.

A friend was talking about another Steven he knew (my first name also) and I kept interupting him saying and being annoying. So he got tired of it and just yelled out "ok you are extra crispy and he is original recipe" No for the background... 13 years ago I was in a bad car accident and was badly burned from fire and electricity. Thus I am "extra crispy" So after laughing for a long time the name stuck. It is not used much but still sticks.

13_CBS
2007-03-11, 12:57 AM
A cookie to whoever can guess where my name comes from. :D

Hint; Bungie.

Hint 2: 13_CBS = 13 Chain Blood Spider.

No one wants to guess mine? :smallfrown:

ufo
2007-03-11, 06:07 AM
Even if I tried, I'm pretty sure that "ufo" on google would show mawny more things than a random member on a random forum.

*cries in corner* no love for t3h uf0!

Vampiric
2007-03-11, 06:34 AM
I chose Vampiric, because, well, I have a soft side for the undead..... And I think that vampires are pretty cool. Also, I used to be 'strongwolf13'.... but that's just my interweb alter-ego.

ufo
2007-03-11, 06:39 AM
Off-topic: Vampiric, our avatars look like family :smallbiggrin: . Mr. Saturn, you re-user!

Vampiric
2007-03-11, 06:47 AM
I was going to say something along those lines! hehe. But that just makes us cooler....:smallcool:

Btw, for those who can be bothered, my first name IRL is hebrew for 'Like the Lord':smallconfused:..... go figure.:smallbiggrin:

Zaggab
2007-03-11, 07:03 AM
Zaggab comes from a name generator I used in 3rd grade.

I wrote in my real name and got some Middle Earth names back. Zaggab's the orc one.

I really need to find a new handle...

wxdruid
2007-03-11, 07:30 AM
wx=weather, so weatherdruid or wxdruid. In Town her name is Gwen, short for Gwenivere which means fair lady. My RL name is also derived from Gwen so it means fair lady as well.

Jesion means Ash tree in polish. You can blame Lykan for that one. :-)

Rain, well it's Rain the Tiger, make fun of her and she'll bite your butt.

Exachix
2007-03-11, 09:36 AM
Sort of off topic:
I keep seeing 'Gwen' and thinking 'Gwenllian' (which I say Gwen-cle-An, and is probably wrong) Who is my little cousin.

Khantalas
2007-03-11, 09:48 AM
Khantalas comes from my first BG 2 character ever, who was a half-elf fighter / wizard with ankheg plate armor and was a LG god of murder, to boot.

What can I say, I am attached to the name.

Later, I was looking at my old character sheets, and I noticed a "Khantalasa", a half-elven wizard that wields a sword and can wear leather armor without being unable to cast spells. Yes, in AD&D, leather armor made you utterly unable to cast spells, not just made you roll for an stupidly low chance of failure. Youngsters. :smallbiggrin:

Coincidince, or just the wonders of the subconscious?

Also, I found a ring in BG 2 later, a ring of wizardry, and it said it once belonged to a powerful mage named Khantalas. I think I stole it from the shopkeeper at Waukeen's Promenade. Anyone had that same thing?

Sage in the Playground
2007-03-11, 10:57 AM
I'm a Sage... in a playground,

bosssmiley
2007-03-11, 11:29 AM
Glug means doomed to failure.

(but trying hard despite that)

Don't you watch "Squidbillies"? You should know that Glug is the delicious, brain-numbing, sight-destroying pine cone liquor brewed by Erlee Tyler and Dan Halen. Man I *love* that episode.

"And all the land was plunged into darkness. Affordable, refreshing, great-tasting darkness." :smallbiggrin:

Thiel
2007-03-11, 03:04 PM
Apparently Thiel is a crater on Luna.

My RL name means christian. Seeing that my RL name is Christian that kinda makes sense.

ufo
2007-03-11, 03:06 PM
Apparently Thiel is a crater on Luna.

My RL name means christian. Seeing that my RL name is Christian that kinda makes sense.

Well that kind of makes sense.

For a minute I thought we finally would have some really weird names in Denmark, but nay.

Melantrist
2007-03-11, 04:09 PM
Well Melantrist is the name of my first charecter sooo...

Stagger Lee
2007-03-11, 04:14 PM
From Wikipedia
Stagger Lee (also known as Stagolee, Stackerlee, Stack O'Lee, Stack-a-Lee and by several other spelling variants) was an African American murderer whose tawdry crime was immortalized in a blues folk song, which has been recorded in hundreds of different versions.

And I like the blues.

Jack Squat
2007-03-11, 04:16 PM
And I like the blues.

Which shows by your Clash avatar :wink:

Ted_Stryker
2007-03-11, 09:13 PM
Mine means that I'll never be over Macho Grande. Those wounds just run too deep.

You're misspelling them on purpose to avoid copyright infringement, right?
:smallwink:

Lemur
2007-03-11, 09:46 PM
I didn't have anything in mind for a name when I registered here. Lemurs are cool though, and the name is simple, instead of trying to go for some obscure dinosaur name, which was my first thought.

NecroPaladin
2007-03-11, 10:56 PM
I am Liam (I have no problems with stating my first name because you'll all see it on my DevArt anyway), which means "Benevolent Guardian" in some dialects. My younger brother's name is derived from "Gawain," which in turn is derived from a root meaning "Little Sparrow" or some such nonsense.

Oh and NecroPaladin is half-a-pun-on-NecroPolitan, and half me trying to think up an interesting character.

Uberblah
2007-03-11, 11:05 PM
I created Uberblah because I wanted something different than Superblah which is what I usually use for forums or anything that asks for a username. I got Superblah from the Demented Cartoon Movie which I can't happen to find. Also "Uber" is better than "Super". And I couldn't get the "U" with the two dots in my username so don't yell at me about it.

Chaotic Bob
2007-03-11, 11:18 PM
Hm...mine was kinda a spur of the moment thing, but has some basis in the fact that I had just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. If you can't guess why this helps, then shame on you. If you have never watched said movie, then you are exempt.
My previous 'cover' name from back when we could have those was Chaotic Bob. That comes from a time when I couldn't think of a name for a highscore list on a video game. Seeing as how I'm always chaotic in D&D and I wanted some anonymity, Chaotic Bob was born.

Etiainen
2007-03-16, 03:59 AM
My name originally comes from one of the demosongs from Nightiwsh, but it also comes from Finnish mythology.
A decent explanation of the word can be found on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eti%C3%A4inen)

Rawhide
2007-03-16, 05:41 AM
I created Uberblah because I wanted something different than Superblah which is what I usually use for forums or anything that asks for a username. I got Superblah from the Demented Cartoon Movie which I can't happen to find. Also "Uber" is better than "Super". And I couldn't get the "U" with the two dots in my username so don't yell at me about it.
You don't use an umlaut when you have a capital letter.

Nad
2007-03-16, 05:47 AM
There is the oh so obvious meaning but it actually came about quite innocently. My name is Dan and Dan backwards is Nad :smallsmile:

Necromas
2007-03-16, 06:22 AM
Necromancer.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-03-16, 06:27 AM
I know it's pretty obscure, but my screen name translates to

The Jasper

I know, it's crazy isn't it?

Ms_Elaneous
2007-03-16, 06:27 AM
It's sort of a play on words. Miss Elaneous and miscellaneous. I use it everywhere. Before that "Will-O-Wisp" was my name of choice, but Ms Elaneous stuck with me.

Charity
2007-03-16, 06:46 AM
Gosh mine is tricky...

darkblade
2007-03-16, 06:47 AM
Not much. I got bored of my usual forum name and this one popped into my head. My other idea was Anathema.

I thought that was an Audioslave reference but okay. Oh wait thats "on the Sun"

Darkblade was a premade char in a D&D starter thing. I later adotped the name for internet use and as a codename of a person in my novel.

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-16, 09:18 AM
I just took my real name (Jake), and added Teh_, and ster.

Ceska
2007-03-16, 09:34 AM
You don't use an umlaut when you have a capital letter.
Ü. Yes you do.

Zweanslord
2007-03-16, 09:45 AM
I liked my dutch last name (Zwanenburg), and wanted to translate that in english. Which amounted to Swanscastle. Well, I didn't like castle, so I took lord instead of it. I didn't like it to start with S either, since I like the Z more as letter and also because it puts me way down on alphabetical name lists. So that was Zwanslord. Well, I didn't want to hear the 'a' there, I rather wanted 'e', matching the first letter of my first name, which eventually meant that it became Zweanslord; a unique name. This would make me Lord of Zweans, though I still do not know what a 'Zweans' would be. Meanwhile, my real life first name means Rich/Wealthy Friend.

Sampi
2007-03-16, 09:51 AM

You do realize you've misspelled all but Morgoth there?

Eru is also called Ilúvatar by the elves
Melchor was renamed Morgoth by Fëanor after the theft of the Silmarils.

[/tolkiengeekery]

My name is etymologically just a twisting and shortening of my real name. However, it also happens to mean a sturgeon in Finnish. No, I have no caviar to give, I am male.

Vonriel
2007-03-16, 11:12 AM
As far as I know, I didn't base my name off of anything. And if you google it, you find a history of me on the internets, because I've used this name ever since I thought of it.

Originally, I was making a vampire character in some game a while back, and I wanted him to be some rich estate owner, so I thought a while for a full name for him. The full name: Baron von Riel. I didn't feel like keeping the title though, and since at the time I was reading the Serpentwar Saga by Raymond Feist, where the main character is constantly called 'von Darkmoor', I decided to go with 'von Riel'. Put them together and you get Vonriel. Kinda long backstory, and pretty odd if you ask me, but eh, who cares?

Peter Harris
2007-03-16, 11:51 AM
Peter Harris is my alter ego on my webcomic (http://www.tellingtalltales.net). Peter because I like the name as a simple, generic protagonist name, and Harris is a family name.

Korith
2007-03-16, 01:36 PM
Syllable mashing for a Tiefling Wizard's name.

Rawhide
2007-03-16, 06:46 PM
Ü. Yes you do.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. HTML has the character references for it, but the rule is to drop them when you capitalise a letter.

Duffren
2007-03-16, 10:45 PM
Duffren is the generic, and from recent self-polls poorly thought out and generally undesirable, name I use for MMOs, forums, and the like if I cant think of something more interesting.
I got it by taking the first syllable from my last name (try figuring that out) and adding the random (and possibly made up) suffix -ren. It seemed clever and witty at the time, but it gets more and more tired as time goes on.

Its also the name of a mountain, apparently.

Ceska
2007-03-17, 02:28 AM
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. HTML has the character references for it, but the rule is to drop them when you capitalise a letter.
You said nothing about HTML, so I assumed you're talking about the grammar, where it is wrong not to use the dots when capitalising. It's just another letter then.

Yuki Akuma
2007-03-19, 11:02 AM
You said nothing about HTML, so I assumed you're talking about the grammar, where it is wrong not to use the dots when capitalising. It's just another letter then.

It's not grammar, it's spelling.

spinningdice
2007-03-19, 11:11 AM
Mine is pretty meaningless, I created a City of Heroes character with a gambling theme and all card-related names I could think of were taken, along with most variants of Snake-Eyes I could think of, so I ended up with SpinningDice.

From there it slowly filtered through to replace a 7-8 year old D&D character I had, as my main username.

Ceska
2007-03-19, 11:34 AM
It's not grammar, it's spelling.
Note to self: Not posting before going to sleep.

What I can recall, I meant at first that you do write the dots also when capitalising, meaning it would be grammatically wrong to write it small in this case. As in, names always are written capitalised, and with an Ü, not an U. But as I said, I was sleepy, and strangely am now although I don't lack sleep.

Last_resort_33
2007-03-19, 01:10 PM
I had a worms team... long long ago, the 33rd last resort... I was told by my friend, Chris that I was so bad that he wouldn't even ally with me as a last resort, I'd be like the 33rd choice.... then I got better... I have been Last_resort_33 since then... everywhere...

everyone assumes that it was something to do with either a) Papa Roach (I was long before that terrible monstrosity of a "song") and/or b) the 33 has something to do with not being able to get Last_Resort and having to add a number on the end.... They're wrong.

There are underscores... always underscores, if the system doesn't accept underscores then it's "LastResort33" Never "Last Resort 33"

Morrsleib
2007-03-19, 01:22 PM
I dont understand 1337 speak, does that mean im il1337erate?
Or are those who use 1337 being e1337ist?

I believe it's maybe have something to do with a manager game called CS-manager (www.cs-manager.com) where the best liga of some obscure reasons is called liga 1337.

My own name it's a spelling mistake. When i created my very first user on a internet forum i want to have the Chaos moon in the Warhammer world Morrslieb, and scribed Morrsleib. thereoff the name.

I can't remember what Slieb means but Morr is the latin word for death.

Samurai General
2007-03-19, 04:13 PM
I actully a Magic The Gathering Card.

...Ijustlovesamurai....

Moofaa
2007-03-19, 05:51 PM
When I first got online and went to play my first online game. All the cool names were taken, like "God" "Satan" "Destroyer". So this name just popped into my head and was the first one that was taken.

I think I am the Orginal Moofaa btw. Theres copies but I still believe I was the first person to use the name back in like '95 or so. Used this name since for major accounts in games, forums, and the like.

ArchiviesTheQua
2007-03-19, 05:51 PM
*stupid story rant*

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-19, 06:02 PM
My little sister never stops talking. :P

*hugs*...come back from the corner of shame! Hiding with ninjas is not a good idea! Come play in the (relatively safe) RB with us! :)

Korith
2007-03-20, 09:15 AM
we were disscussing (sp?) how **** Cheney shot the lawyer while quail hunting.

*Shakes head*

First, "discussing". Close, but a little heavy on the "S".

Second, ouch...prominent political figure gets name censorship.

Zephra
2007-03-20, 11:26 AM
Now I shall return to my corner of shame, back where no one cares. I made a few friends there. If you should ever care to visit, keep in mind, the dust bunnies bite.
I have few friends :smallwink: but that doesn't stop me from talking to everyone all the time...:smallbiggrin:

slipnslide
2007-03-20, 12:07 PM
for some reason i had thought of the ol' slip n' slide from when i was young the day i signed up here....and well the rest is history.

ArchiviesTheQua
2007-03-20, 03:25 PM
I wasn't trying to diss any political figures or start any controversies! We were just innocently talking! Oh, I see. My vocabulary sucks as much as my spelling.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-20, 03:30 PM
I wasn't trying to diss any political figures or start any controversies! We were just innocently talking! Oh, I see. My vocabulary sucks as much as my spelling.

I don't think he was saying you were dissing anyone. Just "disscussing" them.

Disscuss- To talk negatively and profanely about a person. ;P

*hugs*...heehee!

SpartacusThe2nd
2007-03-20, 05:51 PM
I called one of my characters (that I really liked) Spartacus.

And because of 3, 1s (flat) in a row(!) on the d20 dice I had to say good-bye to my little fellow...

Fat Daddy
2007-03-20, 09:28 PM
It means I'm ummm fat. And a daddy. :smallsmile:

Vespe Ratavo
2007-03-20, 09:34 PM
I just made it up somehow.... I think I read somewhere it means "all gods."

Professional Fishing Products? (http://www.vespe.com/) :smallconfused:
Some Warcraft guy stole my name... (http://www.warcraftrealms.com/guilds/799228?PHPSESSID=cf77b1c5e13215adc43e511b66c7eaa2)

EDIT: Apparently "Vispe Ratavo" means "All lords" in Persian. Well...
SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I am not particularly partial to Persia :smallbiggrin:

Dr. Bath
2007-03-21, 04:56 PM
Dr. Bath means someone named mr. Bath who has a doctorate. Who also happens to live in a bath.

anphorus
2007-03-22, 11:47 AM
Back in the day a friend and I were going to write a book (we were about 13 at the time). We thought it was a pretty cool concept, about a rich kid in Victorian England who read about an ancient artefact of power hidden in a huge, monster filled underground cave system under the Peruvian mountains. He used his inheritance to train up himself and a few of his friends to go on an expedition there. They found the artefact, which gave them supernatural powers. They were hunted by agents from the American and British governments who also had been given powers shortly after the main characters.

Eventually we all travelled through some kind of gateway which took us to some kind of mirror world that was in the grip of a huge war, which we helped them win. Most of the characters were based on people we knew, and my character was from this other world, as was his sister, who was the leader of the agents who were after us. We were young and foolish.

Anyway, to cut a long story short the "Orb of Anphorus" was the name of the artefact which gave us all our powers. I stole borrowed it for my internet name, and I've kept it ever since. Luckily, unlike many other names I come up with, this happened to be totally unique. So if you ever see an anphorus on any other website, chances are it's me.

knightsaline
2007-03-23, 02:20 AM
Knightsaline is a misspelling. it should be Knightsaylene. anyway, knightsaline is a reference to Saylene, the goddess of the moon. my name is A knight of Saylene.

My real name translates into son of the right hand.

RowlieBowlie
2007-03-23, 02:29 AM
My name's backstory is a tad strange.

I'm from Holland, GO US, and there my name sounds a little different, but then one day me and some friends met up with an english group of scouts, and apparently they can't pronounce me name and it came out like Rowl.

Being that my friends found it a funny name and they kept calling me that for the longest time, well, including the ie as in Rowlie. Somehow, someone once said it wrong with a B, so then it was Bowlie, then people put those behind each other and it became RowlieBowlie.

I'm known for thinking way too much so people found the words Owl in the name very funny. One day a girl that studied english studied the name and saw the sentence: Rowlie B(e) Owlie

Luckily I got that one smoldered, So Rowliebowlie is actually my RL-nickname.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-23, 03:36 AM
Isn't the goddess of the moon..."Selene"? :smallconfused:

Sammi_Somara
2007-03-23, 04:44 PM
Sammi is short for Samora.
Samora Somara is the name I use online--she's actually a character I made up back in the fifth grade. Of course now shes completely different from then but yeah.
In the language that I made up, 'Samora' means 'hope'.

Sisqui
2007-03-23, 07:01 PM
Sisqui is short for Sisquinanamook, a halfling type character in Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow & Thorn trilogy. I use one or the other pretty much everywhere I need a unique username, although I prefer the longer version :smallsmile:

Sewer_Bandito
2007-03-23, 07:17 PM
Well, mines from a Dave Berry book. He was messing around with the words in someone's name and rearranged them as 'sewer bandito'. I thought it sounded pretty cool and it stuck with me for some reason. And that's how I got my name :smallbiggrin:

rashambo
2007-03-23, 07:34 PM
Well, mine is a South Park reference. And it symbolized the way I play games...cheap and dirty.

Daze
2007-03-23, 07:53 PM
Daze... Well, I've been on the internet since the days when bulletin boards was all ya had and Prodigy was the number one IP (dating myself). I've used Daze ever since then... I'm the original "Daze" on many different places, though sometimes I get bumped to "Daze1" or some such thing... (apparantly I'm too stubborn to come up with a different handle...).

The name originated on the streets of new york.. back in my wilder days, a bunch of friends and I were graffiti writers... and it just so happened that the letters: "A, D, E and Z" were the letters that I could "write" best.. well, Daze sounded better than Ezad!

Anyways... It's not so much the state I'm in.. but the state I put others.. *wriggles fingers spookily*

Ninja Chocobo
2007-03-23, 08:14 PM
Knightsaline is a misspelling. it should be Knightsaylene. anyway, knightsaline is a reference to Saylene, the goddess of the moon. my name is A knight of Saylene.
And I thought it was a knight made out of salt.
Wait, that'd be Saline Knight. My bad.

Anyway, my name comes from a few years back. I was playing Final Fantasy, and noticed that chocobos were made out of awesome. This got me thinking: How do I make them MORE awesome. It hit me. Ninjas.
Please note that it does not refer to a ninja riding or using a chocobo, but rather a chocobo that's been trained as a ninja.

zachol
2007-03-23, 10:35 PM
zachol is a semi-meaningless handle.

It is equal parts "Zach" or "Zach" which is the nickname of my "persona," Zacharaih, and "hol," which are the first three letters of my last name.

I don't really think of it much, though when I do I often realize that it doesn't make sense and it isn't clear how you'd pronounce it.
I always say "za-kohl" or something.

Logic
2007-03-24, 12:27 AM
On the old boards software, I went by the moniker of "The Logic Vampire." It evloved from my inability to shy away from arguments where logic was concerned. The "Vampire" part was mostly because of the hours I kept due to an off-shift work schedule, as I would wake after the sun had set, and go to bed before dawn.
When the boards changed software, I wasn't sure I wanted ot keep hte "Vampire" part of my title, so I asked for it to be changed in the name change thread.

Wyrmslave
2007-03-24, 10:44 PM
One of my original character ideas' surname was Wyrmslave (LN Human Male, Sorcerer/Monk/Dragon Disciple). I used it on the WotC forums and I continue to use it here for a reason *see sig.*

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-25, 05:08 AM
Mine's an anagram of my real name.

Destro_Yersul
2007-03-25, 05:36 AM
My name, taken as it is, doesn't mean anything. Needs more vowels. :smallwink: How it cam about was me trying to think of a name for a D&D wizard who, due to knowing that undead are awesome, would be a necromancer. So I was discussing this with my brother, and jokingly suggested I name him "Destroy your soul". We removed a few letters, decided the result was made of awesome, and here I am. The underscore got added in the board change.

My actual name means "Dark Warrior", which I take to mean a warrior who is all sneaky-shadowy-like. My name was also the name of the king in "Macbeth". Provided amusement when we did that play in English, because I was always the one who read the king's lines.

Hzurr
2007-03-25, 04:05 PM
Mine is actually from a noise that my older sister and friends would use to indicate sarcasm and silliness. (For example: "I think that Keanu Reeves is an excellent actor, who can convey the true depth of raw emotion through his eyes. HURRRRRR!")

Then oneday, we decided to write it, but decided that there were too few 'z's in the English language. So we added a silent 'z.'

416365416c
2007-03-26, 07:46 AM
416365416c literally translates (ASCII encoded) to "AceAl", which was my online handle previously. Double encoding it in ASCII ('AceAl' is stored as '416365416c' on the computers already) reduces collision chances by a large amount, and conveys additional appropriate connotations. That I like computers, for example.

And the process is repeatable. If I need to reduce collision further I can use 3431363534313663, and then 33343331333633353334333133363633 and so on and so forth. (Not that most sites would accept names like that.)

Missing Shoe
2007-03-26, 09:58 PM
From accidentally funny names in the playground:

Shoe, I always wonder...are you the missing shoe, or the shoe missing the other shoe? Or the shoe the hobo didn't find, which is why he's wearing mismatched shoes?
Well since it was brought up, might as well share.

Back in June 06 when I first joined the playground, I was trying to think of something different, a good name that people could recognize me at a glance.

So, I was sitting at my computer, thinking...thinking...distraction....thinking...*g lance at floor* "hmm where did my other shoe go?"...thinking...

The main thing that was filling my mind was my cruddy relationship I was going through. So completely sidetrack, I thought up an analogy for how I feel when I'm in love, or in a relationship in general:
When you're in love, you got both shoes, everything is going smooth, you blend in with a crowd, you almost at times take for granted having both shoes. Then when you break up, it's like you lost one of your shoes and therefore have to hobble awkwardly. Everything seems to take longer because you stumble through it, you feel awkward, as if not whole, and EVERYONE around seems to have both shoes, which makes you feel like you stick out.

Then I snapped out of it, looked at my screen saying "Ah crap, still dont have a name...Hmm name. Name....name...Oooh a nickel! ...FOCUS! Name....name...Eh, what the heck."

Thats almost exactly how it really went. Well, I dont know if its a good name, but I'm sure people can easily recognize it (the avatar also helps)

StickMan
2007-03-27, 10:46 AM
I was like it a comic about stick figures I wonder if Stickman has been taken to my shock it had not so Here I stand Stickman! Master of the Magic missile.

Deckmaster
2007-03-27, 04:21 PM
My name is a reference to Magic the Gathering. Also to my mad skillz at card games.

Also it is a class of spellcasters in the fantasy world I set my stories. I know a wizard using cards seems dumb until you realize it is a lot easier to carry around a deck of cards than a big old spellbook.

Cyrano
2007-03-27, 04:25 PM
Duh.
D'anna Biers, Cylon Fanatic from Battlestar Galactica, currently boxed and on hold.
We miss you!

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-27, 04:50 PM
Fantasy names mean things that would take too long to explain.

First name means "good child" (Yes, I understand the irony).
First middle name means lady or princess.
Second middle name means either life, serpent or bird depending on which translation you use (there are three potential ones).
Last name means...well, I honestly don't know. So there. :P

Cobra_Ikari
2007-03-27, 05:29 PM
Fantasy names mean things that would take too long to explain.

First name means "good child" (Yes, I understand the irony).
First middle name means lady or princess.
Second middle name means either life, serpent or bird depending on which translation you use (there are three potential ones).
Last name means...well, I honestly don't know. So there. :P

What irony? You don't seem that bad to me...a little scary at first glance, but you're like a big fluffy tiger. I think. Analogies aren't my strong point... >.>

Aramil Liadon
2007-03-27, 06:29 PM
I am named after my first character, an innefectual bard who eventually went werewolf and killed THE REST OF THE PARTY!!!! WITHOUT MY WEAPONS! OR ARMOUR!!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!! It was such a surprise. Now I'm named after an alchemy-obsessed recurring villain.

Moribundus
2007-03-27, 09:34 PM
Moribundus... Being subject to death or dying.
me + latin = this

Imrahil
2007-03-28, 11:43 PM
For anyone who has read The Return of the King, my namesake might be familiar as the uncle of Boromir and Faramir, the Prince of Dol Amroth, rescuer of Faramir from the Pelennor Fields. He helped to save Eowyn, rode out to aid Eomer, became the temporary Steward of the city, and held the line at the Black Gate. After the war, he later went on to play a prominent role in Elessar's council.
As for why I chose him, I've always liked powerful, yet relatively unknown, characters. Imrahil's been the name for all my paladins in every RPG for as long as I can remember.

Uberblah
2007-03-28, 11:47 PM
I have a friend who is trying to write the schematics or whatever for a videogame. He's including me in it and asked me for a name for my god (in the game, there are gods to worship and i'm one) who is from the deserts of the east. So I chose Yildirim. It's Turkish for "thunderbolt".

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-28, 11:54 PM
Iames - bastardized Latinization of "James" (my RL name), which somehow derives from the Hebrew "Jacob", which means "Supplanter".

Consdering my life goals, this is oddly appropriate.

J_Muller
2007-03-28, 11:57 PM
Alright... but what about Osari? I'm curious...

Vonriel
2007-03-29, 12:03 AM
Gah, Imrahil? I knew someone who used that name for literally everything having to do with being online. I'm gonna have to force myself to disassociate the two..

Edit: No, no, no. I mean, I had a friend irl who did that. I'm going to have to remind myself every time I see you post that you aren't him, mostly because it is a rather unique moniker, at least in my experience.

Imrahil
2007-03-29, 12:28 AM
I've learned how to separate my 'fantasy' life from my real life pursuits.

Ilona
2007-03-29, 01:38 PM
I know my name to mean B-E-A-U-tiful one in Hungarian.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-03-29, 01:51 PM
Zebulon as in Zebulon Pike, the famous explorer.
Crispi as in Francesco Crispi, the Sicilian gangster.
The two names were a match made in heaven's insane asylum.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-29, 01:53 PM
What irony? You don't seem that bad to me...a little scary at first glance, but you're like a big fluffy tiger. I think. Analogies aren't my strong point... >.>

My name is ironic and you know full well that it is. And yes, your analogy does fall apart a bit.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-03-29, 02:25 PM
Alright... but what about Osari? I'm curious...

Osari = Random Japanese surname that got added to the character when he was adopted by an elf and his half-elf wife.

Gnome Barbarian
2007-03-30, 11:13 AM
Well mine is because of my first characters concept. Abotu 2 years ago when I had to make my first character the DM to be said that gnomes were cool but then in the same sentance said that a newbie should really play a spellcaster cuz it can get confusing at first. Everyone knows gnomes excel at spell casting and most are Illusionists. Well Im like well if I was a gnome what would the last class I be. Barbarian came to mind. To me its an Oxymoron. Funny thing is now that I know the game a lot better I love playing gnomes but I go with the beguiler class.

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2007-03-30, 11:52 AM
It means "Walker on air" in seraph(a language I invented.) It comes from a passage in Lemkalin, the second book in the history of my world. The passage goes: "And the gate of heaven is guarded by the walker on air, the wielder of the sword of crimson flame. Naught can pass but to best the holy guardian in the art of swords."

Nibleswick
2007-03-31, 02:42 AM
My name refers to the main character in one of my favorite books, [U]The Vicar of Nibleswick[U], he has back to front dislexia so about every other word out of his mouth is backwards.

"How wonderfull, all of you stink!" -The Vicar of NIbleswick

Habzial
2007-03-31, 03:31 AM
Habzial is the name of a holy cleric I was playing with some friends. We chatroom RPed, and typically everyone else played dark and evil characters. Okay, they weren't evil, they were just all badasses who take **** from no one and have a mysterious past and ****. Anyhow, we all picked names that sounded Biblical. "Habzial" is something of a phoenic warping of "Ezekial," one of my friends had a character named Zevediah (Jebediah), etc etc.

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-04-02, 08:10 PM
There was a book called It's Disgusting and We Ate It! that I read all the time when I was younger. In it was a list of poisonous fungi that sounded edible. I picked Earthstar because it sounded cool. It wasn't until later that I discovered what it looked like.

SquirrelKing
2007-04-02, 11:06 PM
I am a squirrel. I am a king. Any questions?

Actually, it's derived from a rather silly conversation I got into with a friend of mine. Among our elite cadre of friends, we all have nicknames for one another for some odd reason. So, somehow I got branded as Squirrel King (or SK). Partially it's due to the awesomeness that is Foamy the Squirrel of illwillpress.com fame.

Some of the names of the group: Squirrel King, Loafy, SpazzyWack, Chicken, Girl, Stabby, and Beady

CurlyKitGirl
2007-04-07, 12:26 PM
CurlyKit is a nickname I made up for my friend, I'm the only one who uses this nickname. His name and my name are EXTREMELY similar. I am a girl ergo-CurlyKitGirl.
Also, I like cats, strange coincidence but I have a cat who used to have curly fur when she was a kitten so two reasons for my name

Nasrudith
2007-04-07, 11:21 PM
I origionally picked this name because I liked the shapeshifting of the druid class from CRPGs, druid was taken so I added an adjective in front of it. My name was Mystical Druid. I later abbreviated Mystical to just MDruid.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-04-08, 03:10 PM
My name... has no base. Simply when I was but a youngn and i was playing runescape i wanted to be 'Lordoftheapes', however it was too long, then Apelord, but it was taken, only apelord69 left. It stuck.
My name is in NO WAY related to ANY postions, when i got it I didnt understand all that jazz.

BTW I now realise how ridiculusly bad runescape is and do not play it any more

Castaras
2007-04-08, 03:17 PM
BTW I now realise how ridiculusly bad runescape is and do not play it any more

Good on you! :smallbiggrin:

<- Ex-runescape player.

Xaspian
2007-04-09, 10:30 AM
A typo from 'Caspian'. As in Prince/King Caspian X of Narnia. I preferred the mistake, and so kept it.

Dihan
2007-04-09, 10:39 AM
I couldn't think of a name...

Catch
2007-04-09, 11:42 AM
Joseph Heller meets Holden Caulfield.

That, and I'm very pretty.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-09, 11:44 AM
Joseph Heller meets Holden Caulfield.

That, and I'm very pretty.

And so modest, too! ;)

*nudges towards You III*

Catch
2007-04-09, 11:48 AM
And so modest, too! ;)

*nudges towards You III*

I think there's one picture of me there, albeit taken with my ancient webcam. I may get around to putting up one or two more eventually.

Nightfoil
2007-04-09, 01:29 PM
Wow, my second post and I'm already talking about myself. Soon I'll be talking in third person just to get away from my own arrogance.

Erm....I made this name originally for a Night Elf hunter on World of Warcraft. The Night Elves are rather attuned to plants, so giving her a plant-like name made sense.
Then I googled it and found it to be unique, so now I'm dragging it everywhere.

zeratul
2007-04-09, 05:36 PM
I chose my name to pay tribute to my favourite starcraft character "zeratul".
The character leads the exiled "dark templar". I'd always identified wit the character thus the name.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-09, 05:38 PM
Zer, you didn't need to post that in both threads...if there's no difference, one will suffice, and if there is, the same post shouldn't explain it.

My name means "Hatred, of the Cobras" and refers to a character loosely based on me. Why I picked it is something different entirely.

alchahest
2007-04-09, 05:44 PM
alchahest = Alkahest = universal solvent.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-04-09, 06:16 PM
In one of my various Japanese text books they had the name 'Quincy' spelled something like 'Kuinshi'. I like saying it and it's the name of my favorite character in Bleach (Ishida Quincy). I therefore decided to name myself 'Steel Kuinshi', in honor of Ishida. As a joke I put 'teal' instead of steel, then realized I couldn't go back and change it once I had registered.

So I remain... Teal Kuinshi

Darkxarth
2007-04-09, 06:39 PM
Xarth is one of my all-time favorite characters. He occasionally plays the villain in games I DM, and repeatedly show up in stories I write. He started as an elderly man in a Earth-like world who used his intelligence and some magic powers to help others (I don't even remember what any of the other characters were) fight some sort of Robotic-Demon invasion or some such.

From there, I used the name to describe a new villain I was creating for a D&D campaign. He quickly evolved into a well-rounded master swordsman and dark sorcerer. I liked him so much I wrote a long, detailed backstory for him.

When I first got onto Teh Intarweb I decided to use Xarth as a Username, but it was already taken, and I absolutely hate to have to put a number or something in my name unless I wanted it there in the first place. So, I added Dark to it, and thus was born my username. I use it for many different websites, and I've never had any problems with having to pick a new username.

Ta-da!

Kinzu
2007-04-09, 07:15 PM
If I remember correctly (and I think I do) "Kinzu" comes from the japanese way of saying the last syllable of my last name: that is, "-Kins" = "-Kinzu"
Pretty simple. >83-

Penguinsushi
2007-04-09, 09:51 PM
I found this name as a series of Propaganda seamless wallpaper tiles. Because I like penguins and thought the name sounded fun, I've been using it as my online alias for 7 or 8 years now. ...though there are a handful of imposters out there...

No, I do not make sushi out of penguins, nor do I advise anyone else to do so.

~PS

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-10, 05:45 AM
I'm a Johnny Cash fan.

A big hug goes out to anyone who understands.Ooo! A Boy Named Sue! One of my favorite Johnny Cash songs.

Storm Bringer
2007-04-10, 08:15 AM
mines just a reference to Deep Purple.

Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
Stormbringer dance on the thunder again.
Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day.
No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

Rock the rainbow, Rock they Sky!
Stormbringer Coming, time to Die!

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-10, 10:11 AM
That song is in itself a reference to the Elric of Melnibone novels by Michael Moorcock. My current avatar is an OotSified version of Elric.

Of course, that song and Stormbringer in the novels are completely different, but still.

nivek1234
2007-04-10, 05:01 PM
mine: first name spelled backwards, 1, 2, 3, 4. This has been my screen name for a while, started with Yahoo. I didn't feel like being original at the time.

Lensman
2007-04-10, 05:09 PM
I'm male and I wear glasses. Oh, and Lensman is also the name of a set of SF novels from the very dim and distant past that you younglings will not have encountered. Be thankful for small mercies...

The avatar is a beholder wearing glasses. Why? Beholders are vicious, sadistic monsters... just like me. (I'm a lawyer, and I'm a GM. How much more evil do you want?)

Lensman.

Reality is for people who can't cope with rolegaming.

zeratul
2007-04-10, 06:05 PM
Wasn't there a playgrounder named Artanis at some point? Seing his name is what made me think of zeratul.

Space-Is-Curved
2007-04-10, 06:07 PM
Hmm....

Space. Is. Curved.

Means what it says. Just ask that smart German guy...

But seriously, this is my favorite of my few nom de webs. I chose it years ago because it was my favorite response to just about any question. e.g. "Why do birds fly south for the winter?" "Because space is curved. Go away." Or maybe, "Why did you pick that screen name?" "Because space is curved."

Wojiz
2007-04-10, 06:12 PM
I bashed my face on the keyboard.

Amotis
2007-04-10, 06:13 PM
I bashed my face on the keyboard.

You, good sir, have a huge face.

nightsong
2007-04-11, 11:47 PM
night, dark, like the colour of my hair
song, i play the oboe and i love music

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-11, 11:57 PM
night, dark, like the colour of my hair
song, i play the oboe and i love music

Cool enough. :)

Setra
2007-04-13, 11:29 AM
It's a made up word, so.. it can mean whatever I want it to.. Muahahaha

I decide it means "Soul of a dragon" or something similar.

Baeleck
2007-04-13, 11:36 AM
My real name, Matt, means 'Gift of God'. At least, that's what the mug I have says...

As for Baeleck - completley freeform. I have no idea. Make something up.

Setra
2007-04-13, 11:48 AM
Ah.. real name... I hate my real name

It means "God Is Merciful"

Baeleck
2007-04-13, 11:51 AM
Is your name John, perchance?

Sorry, I'm being nosey. You don't have to answer that :smalltongue:

Castaras
2007-04-13, 11:53 AM
Hmm...real name...the full name is something like "my God is an oath". My nickname is a pet form of my proper name.

Meh. Yay for me.

EmeraldRose
2007-04-13, 02:44 PM
OO! We're doing real names now? Mine'd be something like Dark at the Break of Day...:smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-13, 02:58 PM
OO! We're doing real names now? Mine'd be something like Dark at the Break of Day...:smallwink:Your real name is Early Morning Nautical Twilight? :smallconfused:

:smallcool:

Korith
2007-04-13, 03:02 PM

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-13, 03:11 PM
The boy's name Donovan \d(o)-no-van\ is pronounced DAH-na-vun. It is of Irish and Gaelic origin, and its meaning is "dark; brown-haired chieftain".

EmeraldRose
2007-04-13, 03:20 PM
Your real name is Early Morning Nautical Twilight? :smallconfused:

:smallcool:
:smallconfused: Where'd you get that from? :smalltongue:

EDIT: I supposed it'd be closer to Dark-Clothed at the Break of Day...so there. [/raspberry]

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-13, 03:28 PM
:smallconfused: Where'd you get that from? :smalltongue:

EDIT: I supposed it'd be closer to Dark-Clothed at the Break of Day...so there. [/raspberry]It's a military term for that period of light right before dawn breaks. The same period at the end of the day, after the sun goes down but before it gets dark, is called Early Evening Nautical Twilight. I always thought the phrase Nautical Twilight sounded cool and was actually pretty evocative of that time of day. Of course, I'd never name a kid that. :smallsmile:

On the other hand, I did name a girl Lane. Sort of. It's her middle name.

EmeraldRose
2007-04-13, 03:32 PM
Interesting....but no. Not my name...:smallbiggrin:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-13, 04:01 PM
My real name apparently means "Guardian Ancestor of the Fertile Plain"

...not half bad. :D

EmeraldRose
2007-04-13, 04:15 PM
This could be fun....

Here's a linky (http://www.behindthename.com/) to figure out what your name means. :smallbiggrin:

According to this site, I stand corrected...my name means...Black or Dark Dawn.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-13, 04:22 PM
That up there is my first, middle, and last. Can anyone else get a coherent phrase out of their full name that sounds fun, too?

Vonriel
2007-04-13, 04:46 PM
My first name means "Giver".. well that's a scary though. *has bad flashbacks of The Giver*

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-13, 04:48 PM
Okay, well, I think I've figured out ER's but I won't post it, and no, my real name means nothing. When I put my first name in it only comes up with three other names. Two of those are nothing more than a masculine feminine pairing, and the other is a WWII slur. I've always hated my name. I've honestly considered getting it changed to Zeb. How lame is that? Grrr.

Amotis
2007-04-13, 04:50 PM
Sword? Huh.

EmeraldRose
2007-04-13, 04:53 PM
I still think Dark at the Break of Day sounds cooler for mine. Although Black Dawn sounds kinda forbidding I guess...:smallamused:

Dhavaer
2007-04-13, 04:55 PM
Wasn't there a playgrounder named Artanis at some point? Seing his name is what made me think of zeratul.

Artanis is one of Galadriel's names from LotR.

And I seem to recall that my real name means 'Son of the Right Hand'.

Edit: Aparently also 'Son of the South'.

Dancing Nomad
2007-04-13, 07:07 PM
When I was younger and much more irresponsable, I used to go dancing and drinking a lot with a group of friends of mine. We'd go down to an area with a lot of clubs and bars and start at one end of the road and gradually work our way down to the other end through the coarse of the evening. We tried never to go to the same area twice in a row, so we had kind of a three-month loop of the bay area club circuit. Therefor, we were Dancing Nomads.

My real first and last name, which was a source of much derision throughout my childhood, will remain a secret although it means "Holy Battle-maiden" all together.

Logic
2007-04-13, 07:32 PM
My first name means "Holder of the heel" "Supplanter" or "May God Protect."
My middle name means "Meadow"
My last name means something like "Hoping for good crops"

Saurous
2007-04-13, 07:39 PM
Well, it seems that my first name means "Cutter of cloth", as if I didn't figure that out already.

Can ya guess what my name is?

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-13, 07:41 PM
Well, it seems that my first name means "Cutter of cloth", as if I didn't figure that out already.

Can ya guess what my name is?Is it Sherman?

Khantalas
2007-04-13, 07:44 PM
We're talking about our RL names now?

My name literally means Nature Old Soldier.

Scorpina
2007-04-13, 07:47 PM
'Scorpina' is a feminised version of 'Scorpio'. Also, I think scorpions are cool and have one tattooed on my arm.

My real name means 'Ewe'. Superb.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-04-13, 07:53 PM
Ooooo. I should really try to explain my username.

'Fullbladder', in the ancient pseudo-goblinoid tongue I just made up, translates roughly to "Man of the Thousand Face" Then again, the same word is used for both 'Face' and 'Corpse'.

'Lord' denotes nobility. Has since the Dark Ages. And even before that, apparently. 'Master' has a rather obvious meaning, as does 'of Goblins'.

My real name, in some older civilizations of the world, means 'healer'. My surname, however, is the common name given to a certain species of rodent, though several generations ago, back in Ireland, it did not, as there was a friendly "O'-" on the front.

Saurous
2007-04-13, 07:56 PM
Is it Sherman?

Oh, yeah, it i- no.

It's literally "cutter of cloth". It's both a feminine and masculine name?

Oh, and "Saurous" doesn't really have a meaning that I know of. It was made up by one of my Star Wars-obsessed friends. "Darth Saurus". And after a bit of editing, I changed it to simply "Saurous".

Parasocrates
2007-04-13, 08:10 PM
Parasocrates means something like, "like Socrates." That guy was the bomb.

Dhavaer
2007-04-13, 08:26 PM
Parasocrates means something like, "like Socrates." That guy was the bomb.

'Above' or 'better than' I believe.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-04-14, 01:19 AM
My first name means beloved.

Castaras
2007-04-14, 04:18 AM
It's literally "cutter of cloth". It's both a feminine and masculine name?

Yeah, I've worked out your real name. :smallamused:

Hmm...my name:

First name - My God is an oath (How nice for me)
Middle name - Ewe (Even nicer...)
Last name - I have absolutly no idea. Something to do with apothecaries probably. Didn't come up with anything for me...:smallfrown:

Dispozition
2007-04-14, 04:32 AM
Well...My first name means Briton...Kinda fitting as I'm called 'The English Guy' at school :P

Now...Middle name...Protector of Men...Right...Whatever...

Last name...I can't find it on the intarwebs...Oh noes?

Dragonrider
2007-04-14, 07:26 AM
My real name...

First: "Hill"
Middle: "Graceful"
Last: "Hill"

From three different source languages.
I know so many people with great, fascinating, interesting name meanings...mine is just.........
Hill.
Hill Hill.
At least it's graceful.

Zeb The Troll
2007-04-14, 08:02 AM
Oh, yeah, it i- no.

It's literally "cutter of cloth". It's both a feminine and masculine name?Ah well. I got Sherman because it's from "shear man" so it means cloth cutter. At least yours has a meaning.

If I go with my middle and last name, at least I get Red Merchant.

I hate my name. :smallannoyed:

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-14, 08:11 AM
Ah well. I got Sherman because it's from "shear man" so it means cloth cutter. At least yours has a meaning.

If I go with my middle and last name, at least I get Red Merchant.

I hate my name. :smallannoyed:

That makes sense to me!

"Killing is my business, and business is good." ;)

Khantalas
2007-04-14, 08:14 AM

I can't help but think of you as a sheep now. Indeed, all the other people with the same name.

Heh... sheep...

Dhavaer
2007-04-14, 08:18 AM
I still think Dark at the Break of Day sounds cooler for mine.

That is a very cool name.

I assume my last name means 'keen', since my last name is Keen, and I'm fairly sure it's English.

EmeraldRose
2007-04-14, 08:39 AM
^ Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Hey Dhavaer, that means you get a +1 to your attacks!! :smallwink:

Khantalas
2007-04-14, 08:41 AM
Can we use Dhavaer as an improvised weapon and have a threat range of 19-20?

Scorpina
2007-04-14, 09:01 AM

Yeah, sucks doesn't it?

I can't help but think of you as a sheep now. Indeed, all the other people with the same name.

Heh... sheep...

You'll be quiet!

Khantalas
2007-04-14, 09:05 AM
You'll be quiet!

Nevah! You can't stop me from thinking of you as fluffy white mammals!

And I am not talking about polar bears.

Well, still, despite the meaning, it is a cute name. You just have to deal with that.

Scorpina
2007-04-14, 09:15 AM
I don't think it's a particularly cute name, personally. Also it contributes to my initials being RAP. Boo-urns!

Khantalas
2007-04-14, 09:17 AM
OK, don't do that. I get all curious when people imply they have two names.

ShiningTed
2007-04-14, 09:18 AM
I've started a fair few 'what does your name mean?' threads in my time. I was refering to nicknames / avatar names etc.

Mine (ShiningTed) has an appalingly droll origin - I tried to sign into MSN as Ted.

MSN: we already have a Ted. Why not call yourself something like ShiningTed?
Ted: umm, yeah, ok.

And it stuck. People say it suits me.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-04-14, 09:20 AM
Aww...don't feel bad, all you "ewe"s out there. Provided that's the name I'm thinking of, I know about 4 kick-ass people with that name. Just generally fun to be with, awesome people. So you're in good company. :)