PDA

View Full Version : Updating to Advanced class Guide

Vec
2014-09-06, 08:31 AM
Greetings,

The DM has given the okay to use the new Pathfinder Advanced Class guide and I'm trying to decide which class I should convert my rogue too. I'm having trouble deciding between the Investigator and the Hunter.

My rogue is level 3 but will more than likely be level 4 soon.

Str 10, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 10.

master4sword
2014-09-06, 11:43 AM
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 20, Wis 8, Cha 10.

With these stats, Investigator. Hunter is Wis-based, so a Wisdom penalty will make a subpar Hunter. Meanwhile, the Int-based Investigator will make good use of that 20 Int.

Pex
2014-09-06, 01:14 PM
There is no need to "advance" your rogue. The "Advanced Class Guide" is a bit of a misnomer. It's not about updating the Core classes with new rules. The classes in the book aren't replacements, just additions. To be blunt, Pathfinder doesn't like multiclassing. They're not going to outright forbid it, but they do everything possible to discourage it. The classes in Advanced Class Guide are single classes that combine aspects of two base classes and add in something unique. For example, the Skald is a multiclass Barbarian and Bard in one class using bardic music to give rage-like powers to party members. Shaman is a multiclass Witch and Oracle in one class, a Witch in practically all but name who casts divine spells instead of arcane.

The book does have some archetypes for the classes previously published. Mainly they introduce into the previous classes some aspect of the new material while still being that base class. Feats give more development of the new material as well as just new stuff base classes might like. Clerics and especially Oracles will salivate for Divine Protection, a feat that allows them to add their Charisma modifier to all saving throws.

Now I'm not saying "don't do this". I'm just hoping to provide you with an informed perspective. The book's existence has no obligation on your part to change your plans for your rogue as if the book was never made. It could very well provide fun stuff for you but don't feel you have to do it or be The Suck if you don't.

Kudaku
2014-09-06, 01:18 PM
What kind of a rogue is he, or rather what kind of rogue do you want him to be? You could make a Slayer if he's more of a "combaty" rogue that mixes it up in melee, or an investigator if he's more of a skill monkey and thinking man.

Vec
2014-09-06, 05:10 PM
What kind of a rogue is he, or rather what kind of rogue do you want him to be? You could make a Slayer if he's more of a "combaty" rogue that mixes it up in melee, or an investigator if he's more of a skill monkey and thinking man.

I've been playing him so far as a two weapon rogue, but he has a flaw that when he sees an exceptional sword he has to make a will save, if he fails he has to try and get it.