PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Switched to PF -- What spells do you miss from 3.5?

Dalebert
2014-09-06, 08:36 AM
So many cool spells from various sources were developed over the years. I understand why many of them were left out. Which ones do you miss? Make your case for why you think it was probably for the best or why they should be included. Should they be included for any casters other than the main ones, i.e. cleric, wizard, sorcerer. Obviously, a DM can decide to allow them on a case-by-case basis so maybe they'll hear you and declare you reasonable. :)

* Nerveskitter -- A nice spell but doesn't seem OP to me.
* Benign Transposition -- Again, nice but not OP.
* Ebon Eyes -- How is this NOT in PF? What does PF have to penetrate magical darkness?
* Quick Potion -- Totally appropriate. This spell is way too abusable by anyone who can cast it spontaneously.
* Hoard Gullet -- Better in some ways than Ant Haul, but worse in others (smallish items only, half the duration). Seems fine. LOVE this one, especially for sneaky, thieving characters. I think I miss this one the most.
* The entire line of orb spells -- totally appropriate. They're obnoxious especially for scaling well into higher levels and ignoring SR. Make conjuration even better and evocation more irrelevant. Take a couple energy sub feats and one of each to be a very versatile sorcerer.
* Ray of Clumsiness -- Why not allow? It seems pretty comparable to RoE as long as it's similarly nerfed.
* Sunstroke -- It's fine. Nice spell but with lots of limitations on what it affects. Great for cheap wands with CL 1 for casters to use in place of crossbows or slings.
* Heart of Air, Water, Earth, Fire: Probably appropriate. Grant considerable powers all day long at higher levels. Fairly obnoxious.
* Kelgore's Grave Mist -- Probably appropriate. Automatic AoE fatigue and nearly automatic damage as a bonus. Could maybe be nerfed and stay.
* Blast of Flame -- Makes evocation really irrelevant. Ignores SR (why??). Take it with some energy subs and sculpt spell to be a really versatile sorcerer. Make it just a fire version of Cone of Cold at the same level and it's probably fine.

Ellowryn
2014-09-06, 09:10 AM
Not left out, but hard nerfed was Divine Power from the cleric spell list. Now its just a divine version of Haste with a few alterations.

Sayt
2014-09-06, 09:23 AM
Not left out, but hard nerfed was Divine Power from the cleric spell list. Now its just a divine version of Haste with a few alterations.

This isn't accurate. It provides a much higher to hit and and damage buff than haste, as well as the extra attacks. Blessing of Fervor is the divine version of Haste. Does it provide you with full bab for a spell slot? No, but at high CL, it catches you up and takes you a bit farther in terms of bonus gained. No Enhancement bonus? Who cares, enhancement bonuses are a dime a dozen.

As for Ebon eyes, look up Echolocation, it's three spell levels higher than ebon eyes, but it just straightup gives you blindsight, rather than being a hardcounter for a a higher level spell.

As for Horde Gullet, I suggest Treasure stitching. As much loot as you can fit in a 10x10xN box for days per level. If you can stack a hundred 10ft cube crates on top of each other, the stitching will hold them all for you.

Madwand99
2014-09-06, 03:06 PM
I really miss Girallon's Blessing.

Dalebert
2014-09-06, 04:59 PM
I understand the nerfs to shape-shifting except for the duration nerfs. A big point of shape-shifting will not always be for sheer fighting prowess. Often it will be for spying/infiltration/etc. And that requires a somewhat reasonable duration. There should be versions that are maybe less powerful but which last longer, particularly smaller forms.

Lightlawbliss
2014-09-06, 06:02 PM
As for Horde Gullet, I suggest Treasure stitching. As much loot as you can fit in a 10x10xN box for days per level. If you can stack a hundred 10ft cube crates on top of each other, the stitching will hold them all for you.
What version are you looking at? paizo.com (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/treasureStitching.html) says max 10ft cube.

Snowbluff
2014-09-06, 06:09 PM
If you miss the orbs, I suggest Snowball. It's mai babeh.

I miss all of the spells that were nerfed. Ray of Enfeeblement has a save now. Greater Bestow Curse is just harder to remove, instead of enforcing a harsher penalty.

Seething Eyebane. I want to permanently blind people as a first level spell. Is that too much to ask?

Dispel Magic. The new version sucks. Stupid spell only dispels one thing. Can't even be used for an area dispel.

Flesh to Ice. All of the Frostburn spells. The point is that you can't play a PC version of me.

Talya
2014-09-06, 10:15 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune, Assay Spell Resistance

Ravens_cry
2014-09-06, 10:31 PM
I admit, I miss the statue to corpse clause of Flesh to Stone. Vegan undead for everyone!

Sayt
2014-09-06, 10:56 PM
What version are you looking at? paizo.com (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/treasureStitching.html) says max 10ft cube.

I seem to have misread, but that said "You can pile any amount or weight of objects on the cloth so long as the pile stays within the dimensions of the cloth (up to a 10-foot cube)."

The fact that it says cube instead of square is odd, because sheets of cloth aren't generally cubes.

Dalebert
2014-09-07, 03:54 PM
If you miss the orbs, I suggest Snowball. It's mai babeh.

It is nice. I was wondering why I'd never discovered that and then I realized it's not in this list (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic/spell-lists-and-domains/spell-list---witch). Why the ever not? It doesn't appear to be 3rd party.

Psyren
2014-09-07, 04:12 PM
I miss Synchronicity, Dimension Hop, Soul Crystal, Psychoportive Shelter, Anticipatory Strike and Inconstant Location.

* Ebon Eyes -- How is this NOT in PF? What does PF have to penetrate magical darkness?

Darkness works differently in PF - Darkness spells only lower the ambient light level rather than setting it to a value, and Darkvision (whether racial or from another source) does defeat it. Thus spells like Ebon Eyes wouldn't really be needed.

However, Deeper Darkness, if cast in dim light or darker, will create what is known as "supernatural darkness" which does trump darkvision. But if you have an equal or higher [Light] spell you can take care of it.

Dalebert
2014-09-07, 04:40 PM
However, Deeper Darkness, if cast in dim light or darker, will create what is known as "supernatural darkness" which does trump darkvision. But if you have an equal or higher [Light] spell you can take care of it.

Right but that doesn't allow for the combo of casting Ebon Eyes and then creating the darkness so your enemies are debuffed but not yourself. It's rather difficult (not impossible) to take advantage of magical darkness without something like that.

Psyren
2014-09-07, 04:47 PM
Right but that doesn't allow for the combo of casting Ebon Eyes and then creating the darkness so your enemies are debuffed but not yourself. It's rather difficult (not impossible) to take advantage of magical darkness without something like that.

As written, Ebon Eyes would do nothing in PF, because "normal and magical darkness" are different from "supernaturally dark." Or to be more accurate, it would function no differently than normal darkvision.

Basically, there is nothing special about "magical darkness" in PF.

Dalebert
2014-09-07, 05:03 PM
As written, Ebon Eyes would do nothing in PF, because "normal and magical darkness" are different from "supernaturally dark." Or to be more accurate, it would function no differently than normal darkvision.

I feel like you keep missing my point. You said yourself there is Deeper Darkness that overcomes darkvision. If they ported Ebon Eyes over, I would expect them to port it in way that makes sense with the other changes in PF and perhaps reword it to penetrate supernatural darkness, possibly while raising the level of it since Deeper Darkness is a higher level spell. When you say you can just cast a higher level light spell, that doesn't address the issue from the POV of those casting Deeper Darkness, i.e. to debuff my enemies but not me.

Psyren
2014-09-07, 05:47 PM
Right, but your original question was "How is this NOT in PF?" The answer to that is simply that the scenario being described - needing a special spell to see through some form of special darkness - is not nearly as common as it was in 3.5.

Bhaakon
2014-09-07, 06:32 PM
It is nice. I was wondering why I'd never discovered that and then I realized it's not in this list. Why the ever not? It doesn't appear to be 3rd party.

It's probably from one of the books that doesn't fall under the Open Gaming License. All the setting-specific splat books are that way, so, technically, their material isn't free for third parties to make available. Paizo used to look the other way when the PFSRD published that stuff, but then they decided that the PFSRD was becoming a for-profit enterprise and asked them to yank it.

Psyren
2014-09-07, 06:43 PM
It's probably from one of the books that doesn't fall under the Open Gaming License. All the setting-specific splat books are that way, so, technically, their material isn't free for third parties to make available. Paizo used to look the other way when the PFSRD published that stuff, but then they decided that the PFSRD was becoming a for-profit enterprise and asked them to yank it.

Snowball (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/snowball) is on the PFSRD, actually. It just wasn't added to the witch spells index linked earlier - likely an oversight.

And to your other point - the issue with the PFSRD having the Golarion content was that they had their own storefront instead of directing folks to the Paizo one. Sites that do that have to post the neutral/sanitized versions of the content instead, like replacing "Dawnflower Dervish" with "Dervish of Dawn," because Dawnflower = Sarenrae. The for-profit nature of the site was not a problem back when it was relying solely on ad revenue.