PDA

View Full Version : improving an illithid's grapple

Ettina
2014-09-06, 09:28 AM
OK, so in our 'monster PCs' game I'm playing a level 5 illithid telepath. I like xyr abilities so far, but I still haven't picked xyr second feat (xe got inquisitor first, because I'm planning to make xim a thrallherd).

I'm wondering if I can get a feat that makes xim better at grappling, so xe can get a mid-battle snack. From what I can tell, illithid racial abilities basically duplicate the effect of Improved Grapple. Does that mean I won't get any benefit from Improved Grapple (if my DM houserules I can get it?). What would be another feat that makes me better at grappling?

I'm looking for something to overcome my weak BAB and poor strength stat, basically.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-06, 09:34 AM
Improved Grapple is a typeless bonus; by RAW, that means it stacks with everything. As long as you can grab Improved Unarmed Strike and have sufficient Dexterity, you're set.

Blackhawk748
2014-09-06, 09:35 AM
Imp Grapple would stack with the Illithids Natural Imp Grab ability, as for other feats im not sure. I know Reaping Mauler is a pretty decent Grapple focused PrC but i take it thats not what you want.

Ettina
2014-09-06, 08:33 PM
Another question - is there any limit to how many creatures I can have Dominated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dominatePsionic.htm) at one time? Let's say I used it on one guy and forced him to follow me and help me out for five days. Can I then Dominate someone else and have two mind-controlled minions for awhile?

Blackhawk748
2014-09-06, 08:40 PM
as far as i know, there is no limit, but your DM may slap you.

Urpriest
2014-09-06, 08:45 PM
You'd get the bonus from Improved Grapple, but you've already got the main benefit (being able to start grapples without suffering AOO) anyway, and it's probably not the best way to do it.

You might be better off picking up some Psychic Warrior powers with Expanded Knowledge. Grip of Iron would boost your grapple checks, while Expansion would help you grapple larger creatures. Unfortunately your BAB is low and your Str is probably also low, so you won't be great at grappling even if you sink resources into it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-09-06, 08:56 PM
If you weren't already in the game, I'd recommend using Lord of Madness's Ulillithid, which are essentially large sized, extra-tentacled mind flayers, if only for the size bonus.

Depending on how your DM is handling racial hit dice and LA, you may have an easier time qualifying for the (Illithid) Slayer PrC and maybe the anti-aberration psi-gush PrC in Lords of Madness to help with your BAB. I know there are at least two strength boosting powers out there, but those are both short-duration, so there are probably better choices available to you.

Beyond that, Ur Priest has excellent suggestions as always.

Ettina
2014-09-07, 09:08 PM
OK, double-checking my stats:

Str - 10
Dex - 15
Con - 14
Int - 23
Wis - 21
Cha - 22

So my strength is pretty bad. Any way to make my grapple checks go off something other than strength?

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-09-07, 11:14 PM
So my strength is pretty bad. Any way to make my grapple checks go off something other than strength?

Luckily, Control Body (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/controlBody.htm) lets you control someone's body and use your intelligence bonus on their attack rolls. Grappling is a special application of the grapple, but that means either using resource to allow your psicrystal to control your body on its actions by means of Solicit Psicrystal or using your own actions holding onto the concentration to maintain the power.

Rubik
2014-09-08, 12:41 AM
I suppose you could always take the Illithid Heritage feat, followed by Illithid Grapple (x4), then Metamorphosis into a big, bad melee monster (with tentacles) which you could then use to munch on others.

Also, Dominating them and commanding them to close their eyes and ignore everything you're doing could work. Or force them to engage in some other activity which precludes resisting your advances. Or tell them to drop their defenses and accept a "beneficial" power, but you manifest Energy Stun on them, instead.