PDA

View Full Version : Are there any magic enchants higher than +5?

Dominuce2112
2014-09-06, 10:09 AM
I have an ancestral relic bow. I have enough gold put into it to have a value of +9. Long story short I'm trying to kill an evil shadow god and need to enchant the bow with the best enchant for the situation.

All I need to do is land one shot. Story wise, I'm sure my bow will "help" (it's my hibernating deity) but I remember seeing a +6 enchant that hits at touch ac in some Dragon magazine or something (it would be nice to find that again).

Anyways, I am wondering if there are any magical enchants that are greater than the +5 effects. Especially because the +5s for ranged suck. Lol thanks for the help

OldTrees1
2014-09-06, 10:33 AM
There are but, any weapon with a special ability greater than +5 is an Epic Weapon and thus costs 10x as much as you would expect.

However you might like the lower special abilities:

Blood Seeking[+1 from CWar] Ignore cover, including total cover against living creatures.

Seeking[+1 from DMG] Ignore miss chances

Force[+2 from MIC] "A projectile weapon with the force property turns ammunition shot from it into a
force attack. These force projectiles automatically overcome damage reduction and suffer no miss chance against incorporeal targets, but they don’t damage creatures immune to force effects."

Splitting[+3 from CoR] kinda Doubles your attacks.

So a +1 Blood Seeking, Seeking, Force, Splitting Bow is an equivalent of a +8 bow.
Take the Tooth of Leraje[21,600gp from ToM] to cast Greater Magic Weapon(cl 20) 1/day
So you get a +5 Blood Seeking, Seeking, Force, Splitting Bow

Edit: Kinda was probably incorrect. Check with your DM about precision damage.

Yaitanos
2014-09-06, 11:29 AM
Splitting[+3 from CoR] Kinda doubles your attacks.

How does Splitting "Kinda" double your attacks? It causes every arrow fired to split into two, getting an attack roll each AND doing the same damage. It doesn't "Kinda double", it doubles.

OldTrees1
2014-09-06, 11:39 AM
How does Splitting "Kinda" double your attacks? It causes every arrow fired to split into two, getting an attack roll each AND doing the same damage. It doesn't "Kinda double", it doubles.

I was/am away from CoR and could not check to see if it does or does not double precision damage. I suspect it does not but to be safe I put "kinda". Would you please check for me?

Seerow
2014-09-06, 11:48 AM
I was/am away from CoR and could not check to see if it does or does not double precision damage. I suspect it does not but to be safe I put "kinda". Would you please check for me?

Pretty sure separate attack roll = separate precision damage is the general rule.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-09-06, 11:48 AM
I believe that's ambiguous. Per the Archery Handbook:

There is a little ambiguity to whether this works with Precision Damage though; it does have two attack rolls which would suggest that it does, but effectively they act as a volley attack, hitting the same place and therefore wouldn't get Precision Damage added. You should check with your DM before getting this for your Precision Damage archer; it's probably still worth it if Precision Damage isn't doubled (since it increases the odds of hitting with it by tons), but that would make it much less good. Personally I wouldn't allow twice the Precision Damage for Splitting since the archer doesn't get to aim the pieces separately.

Also note that you need the Precise Shot feat to use Splitting.

Edit: you could also try to reverse-engineer the Energy Bow.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-06, 11:49 AM
You can get a situational bonus greater than +5 without paying Epic magic item prices, by using Bane of the right type, or more commonly Magebane. Against those selected foes, you can have an additional +2 to hit (total up to +7) and bypass DR/Epic.

OldTrees1
2014-09-06, 11:54 AM
You can get a situational bonus greater than +5 without paying Epic magic item prices, by using Bane of the right type, or more commonly Magebane. Against those selected foes, you can have an additional +2 to hit (total up to +7) and bypass DR/Epic.

Transmuting [+2] can bypass any DR after the first hit.

Also I corrected the "kinda" in post 2

Chronos
2014-09-06, 12:36 PM
The weapon pricing rules: A weapon can have an enhancement bonus, and it can have a variety of special abilities priced equivalently to enhancement bonuses. For instance, a weapon with an enhancement bonus of +2 and two abilities each equivalent to +1 will have the same total cost as a weapon with a +4 enhancement bonus and no special abilities. For a non-epic item, the enhancement bonus cannot be higher than +5, the total equivalent bonus cannot be higher than +10, and no individual special ability can be worth more than an equivalent of +5 (all three of these restrictions are lifted for an epic item, but those cost ten times what they would if they were non-epic). A weapon must have an enhancement bonus of at least +1 before it has any other special abilities. So you could have, for instance, a weapon that's +5 with another +5 worth of abilities, or a weapon that's +1 with +9 worth of abilities. This latter is usually preferred, since you can give a weapon a higher enhancement bonus for most of the day with Greater Magic Weapon, but most special abilities are not similarly available from a spell (one exception: You can get undead bane from another hour/level spell).

backwaterj
2014-09-06, 10:30 PM
Since you mention touch AC specifically, Brilliant Energy works for bows and it's only a +4 equivalent.

Edit: this won't bypass natural armor, though.