PDA

View Full Version : Variant metallic dragons?

Yaitanos
2014-09-06, 11:04 AM
So someone mentioned to me the other day while were discussing the class progression for metallic dragons in Dragon Magazine issue #320 that there is fact another way to play a dragon from lvl 1. They said there was a mention of a variant type of dragon that focused on spellcasting and didn't get larger than Large sized, and had a full progression playable from 1st lvl. Thinking i had seen these somewhere in the past I went to my... well what use to be a noteBOOK and has thus turned into noteBOOKS on notes and indexing of items from various resources, but wasn't able to find them. I did find the page number for the technomagic implants I've been passively looking for, but no mention of these dragons.

Am I being lied to or do I need get to add another entry to these books?
... Really need to switch these things to index cards. Wouldn't need an index for the index.

Yaitanos
2014-09-24, 11:57 AM
So i was told that these dragons are somewhere in the Dungeon Magazines. Does that help anyone? I'm going through them myself, buuuuut it's slow going and I'd love a fast travel option.

Marnath
2014-09-24, 12:06 PM
That sounds kind of like the E6 variant dragon monster classes that someone created here in the Homebrew section. You might try doing a search for that.

Squark
2014-09-24, 12:12 PM
They might have been referring to 356's ferrous dragons. They're not playable from level 1, but they do add another 5 metallic dragons.

Yaitanos
2014-09-24, 12:47 PM
They might have been referring to 356's ferrous dragons. They're not playable from level 1, but they do add another 5 metallic dragons.

No he said they were the base dragons, but they didn't get much larger than large size, focused on spellcasting and were playable from lvl 1.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-24, 01:15 PM
To quote ShurikVch from a previous thread on this forum, "Dangerous Denizens (Kingdoms of Kalamar) have Deshada Dragon. Wyrmling is only 1 HD and LA +1."

Yaitanos
2014-09-25, 05:29 AM
To quote ShurikVch from a previous thread on this forum, "Dangerous Denizens (Kingdoms of Kalamar) have Deshada Dragon. Wyrmling is only 1 HD and LA +1."

Yeah, definitely not what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for playable dragon races with a low HD and lvl adj, I'm looking for a SPECIFIC draconic racial class.

Squark
2014-09-25, 08:47 AM
If you have something that specific, your best bet is probably to just check paizo's stock and see if any of the issues say they deal with playing dragons at first level.

Bronk
2014-09-25, 09:07 PM
I haven't found that dragon in the old Dragon Magazines yet.

There's another type of dragon I learned about a while back but can't find... a dragon that never gets past large size, has all twelve age categories, but only has one HD per category, and only has a lifespan of a few hundred years. I heard about it in a discussion about using it for early entry for epic feats, because of the rule that 'old' dragons qualify for them, and it gets to be old at a very low HD count.

I don't know if it's related or not, but it sounds somewhat similar. I looked it up at the time, but lost the link and never found it again.

Agent 451
2014-09-27, 03:40 PM
I haven't found that dragon in the old Dragon Magazines yet.

There's another type of dragon I learned about a while back but can't find... a dragon that never gets past large size, has all twelve age categories, but only has one HD per category, and only has a lifespan of a few hundred years. I heard about it in a discussion about using it for early entry for epic feats, because of the rule that 'old' dragons qualify for them, and it gets to be old at a very low HD count.

I don't know if it's related or not, but it sounds somewhat similar. I looked it up at the time, but lost the link and never found it again.

Arboreal Dragon from Dragon 321?

edit: NVM, they do get larger. You wouldn't be thinking of the Table 3-21 in the Draconomicon (p. 143) about aging and size advancement for dragon PCs, would you?

Bronk
2014-09-28, 08:24 PM
Arboreal Dragon from Dragon 321?

edit: NVM, they do get larger. You wouldn't be thinking of the Table 3-21 in the Draconomicon (p. 143) about aging and size advancement for dragon PCs, would you?

No, unfortunately that's not it. Thanks for looking though!

Although, that might have been what the original poster's friends were thinking of, if they didn't realize how LA and RHD worked...

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-09-28, 08:46 PM
How about the Tome Dragon from issue #343?

Yaitanos
2014-09-30, 02:14 PM
Well like I said he mentioned that they were in Dungeon magazine not Dragon. But I will look at time Dragon and see.

Bronk
2014-09-30, 06:35 PM
Hmm, my eyes skipped right over that. I'm not finding an easy way to search monsters from issue 82-150...

Yaitanos
2014-10-01, 09:06 AM
Hmm, my eyes skipped right over that. I'm not finding an easy way to search monsters from issue 82-150...

Yup, that's one of my problems. That and having no time to do anything. Why can't I be paid to sleep, drink and play games?

Zanos
2014-10-01, 10:09 AM
Not sure how helpful this is, but what you're describing sounds a lot like Steel Dragons (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a). They aren't playable from first, but if you take the Loredrake archetype you'll only be a few levels behind on Sorc casting. Still 4HD and +2 LA though, so you couldn't come in until 7th.

Personally I always thought steel dragons were hilarious because a lot of the age categories have CRs lower than their equivalent sorcerer casting. So a Level 21 Sorcerer is CR 21, but a Great Wyrm Steel Dragon is a dragon and has the same casting on an all good saves d12 chassis with 37 HD, and is CR 18. The sorcerer gets summon familiar though, so it's totally balanced. Go figure. Dump epic spells on your party pre-epic.

Yaitanos
2014-10-02, 01:13 AM
Not sure how helpful this is, but what you're describing sounds a lot like Steel Dragons (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20040328a). They aren't playable from first, but if you take the Loredrake archetype you'll only be a few levels behind on Sorc casting. Still 4HD and +2 LA though, so you couldn't come in until 7th.

It's not steel dragons, the player LOVES his steel dragons. We even made a dragon pact for steel dragons that he uses. Well, it's steel and iron dragons, and he doesn't always know which one I'm using for him but eh. But I've looked at the loredrake archetype and outright giggled at it. Not gonna use that on my players at all. Still, steel dragons get larger than large, so they aren't what he's talking about.