PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Help with Gestalt Paladin

JohnStone
2014-09-06, 01:18 PM
I am trying to build a character for a level 10 gestalt game. it is a PbP game that focuses on politics and corruption.
My "group" consists of me lvl 10 gestalt and my cohort (free leadership feat)

I want to make a Lawful Good martial inquisitor type, with a more spellcaster cohort.

The idea is that he is the leader of the local church seeking out corruption rather than performing it. He should be tough and somewhat charismatic (think Paladin) his cohort should be able to help with skills and spells (I am thinking cloistered cleric/Divine Magician.

for my build i am considering Paladin X// Cloistered Cleric 3 Church Inquisitor 4 Ordained champion 3.

It is the paladin side that is giving me trouble id assume trade spellcasting for feats and possibly trade the mount as well (spirit of Heroism sounds nice). obviously 10 levels of paladin is pretty bleh but not sure what else to do there (cant PRC).

any ideas would be helpful

MilesTiden
2014-09-06, 01:39 PM
I mean, I would suggest taking Crusader past the first few levels of Paladin, but I don't know how you feel about ToB. The flavor and mechanics is spot on though, I think.

Divide by Zero
2014-09-06, 01:42 PM
Stuff with passive abilities is always good in gestalt, especially since your other side is a caster. Incarnum classes (Totemist in this case, since Incarnate has alignment compatibility issues and Soulborn sucks), Factotum, Binder, Marshal, etc.

Socratov
2014-09-06, 01:51 PM
I'd pair the Paladin with Crusader from Tome of Battle: what the paladin lacks in pure combat power the crusader more then enough remedies, both have complementing defences and the Paladin has more then enough utility to make for a well rounded character. Or you could make for a great front-line fighter and pick Knight to be your support tree. This would make for a great knight in shining armour type of guy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-06, 01:53 PM
Stick with just Paladin on one side, get the Divine Counterspell ACF in CM for it, and I would take Charging Smite in PH2 instead of your special mount.

On the Cleric side, go Cloistered Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 4/ Sacred Exorcist 3+, get Rebuke Dragons in Dragon Magic for Cleric which can still be used to power divine feats. Take the Inquisition domain and trade the Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion, your third domain can be whatever you want. You'll have both Rebuke Dragons and Turn Undead, each with their own pool of uses, and both will benefit from Extra Turning, a Reliquary Holy Symbol, Night Sticks, etc. Take the feat Divine Defiance in FCII so you can spend one of those Turn/Rebuke uses to use Divine Counterspell as an immediate action.

See this build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275093-its-a-villain-sort-of#5) for additional shenanigans.

For your cohort, get a Beguiler + Apostle of Peace with Vow of Poverty/Peace/Nonviolence. After defeating an opponent, your character can judge, sentence, and execute them on the spot, allowing you to skirt the drawbacks of those vows.

JohnStone
2014-09-08, 06:29 PM
I appreciate the replies... im now thinking pal8/OC2//cloistered cleric3/church inquisitor4/OC3. Alternating the OC levels to keep full cleric casting.

I love the rebuke dragons idea to power DMM plus dragons are a big part of the world.

My cohort will definetely be a beguiler that class is amazing thankyou for pointing it out.

TheMooch
2014-09-08, 09:47 PM
I am trying to build a character for a level 10 gestalt game. it is a PbP game that focuses on politics and corruption.
My "group" consists of me lvl 10 gestalt and my cohort (free leadership feat)

I want to make a Lawful Good martial inquisitor type, with a more spellcaster cohort.

The idea is that he is the leader of the local church seeking out corruption rather than performing it. He should be tough and somewhat charismatic (think Paladin) his cohort should be able to help with skills and spells (I am thinking cloistered cleric/Divine Magician.

for my build i am considering Paladin X// Cloistered Cleric 3 Church Inquisitor 4 Ordained champion 3.

It is the paladin side that is giving me trouble id assume trade spellcasting for feats and possibly trade the mount as well (spirit of Heroism sounds nice). obviously 10 levels of paladin is pretty bleh but not sure what else to do there (cant PRC).

any ideas would be helpful

If you want a more martial style character you could try out warforged paladin 5/gray guard 1/fist of raziel 10/grayguard +5//incarnate 1/fighter 4/war mind 7/incarnum blade 5/ incarnate +4

You need to take psiforged, saphire smite, servant of the heavens, power attack, combat expertise, improved trip, psycarnum infusion, awesome smite, and psionic meditation. the warforged paladin sub levels and charging smite acfs are good. You play it as a smiting charger with psycarnum infusion to make your smites awesome.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-08, 09:50 PM
Have you looked at the pathfinder Inquisitor class?