PDA

View Full Version : Free Mind [PrC, Spoof]

Maerok
2007-03-09, 04:35 PM
The Game has you...

Morpheon: I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know, you can't explain. But you feel it. You've felt it your entire life. That there's something wrong with the world. Like how you're hurt just as much as falling from 200 feet as 1000 feet, and how a chain of people can pass an object faster than the speed of light. And even how drowning yourself just a little can bring you back from the brink of death. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Morpheon: The Game is everywhere. It's all around us, even in this very 10 foot by 10 foot room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you try to attack some commoner. You can feel it when you try to craft something and even when you try to bluff someone into doing something they might not like. The Game is the wool that has been pulled over your eyes, to blind you from that truth.

You take the red potion and suddenly you begin to feel a deathly chill. Morpheon stands nearby as Trilogy begins jumping as high as she can. Apoco crouches nearby her, looking intently into the space in front of her.

Morpheon: Apoco?

Apoco: Still nothing.

You: It's cold! It's cold!

Morpheon (shouting out to someone unseen): Bottle, we're going to need a check soon.

Morpheon: Apoco! Location!

Apoco: Targeting, almost there!

The chill continues, almost consuming you entirely.

Trilogy: He's starting to reach -1!

Apoco: LOCK, I got it!

With that, Apoco jumps forwards and snags a huge multi-faceted object from mid-air. He rolls forward, clasping it to his chest with apparent difficulty. With the prize in hand, he unveils it to you. It is a strange 20-sided device, each side labeled with a different number. As you stare at it in wonder, the world dissolves around you.

Morpheon: If you're not one of us, you're one of them.

You: What are they?

Morpheon: DM Fiats. They can move in and out of any scenario still being played by the DM. That means that anyone we haven't unbound is potentially a fiat. Inside the Game, they are everyone and no one... They are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys, which means sooner of later someone will have to fight them.

You: Someone?

Morpheon: I won't lie to you. Every single man or woman, or other creature, who has stood their ground against a fiat has died. But where they failed you will succeed.

You: Why?

Morpheon: I've seen rocks fall on many occasions. Simple creatures have become monstrous abominations at the drop of a hat. Yet their strength and their speed are still based on a world built by rules. Because of that, they will never be as strong or as fast you can be.

You: What are you trying to tell me? That I can... dodge fireballs?

Morpheon: No, what I'm trying to tell you is that when you're ready, you won't have to...

Free Mind

HD: d8

Prerequisites: Able Learner, must have at least three broken or munchkin feats/spells*, character level 15

*= Divine Metamagic, Vow of Poverty, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), etc. Being a Druid or Cleric counts as one of these feats. Shivering Touch can be included as well. These are all examples, and is by no means an exhaustive list.

Class Skills: With Able Learner, you have access to all skills as class skills.
Skill Points: 4 + Int

BAB: 1/2
Saves: All poor.

Class Abilities by Level:
Spellcasting:
A spellcaster gains an additional level to their last spellcasting class for the purposes of new spell levels, spells per day, and caster level.

Level 1:
Metagame (1/week): A Free Mind can begin to tear away the dramatic irony of a situation, gaining insight from those outside the Game. Once per day, you are capable of looking beyond the Game to converse with those on the outside. You may directly ask one player or the DM one question per class level; you can substitute a question for a look at one page of a source book. This is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. This ability functions in anti-magic zones. Any knowledge gained becomes something the character is aware of, as if they had learned it in-game. This looks like you are just talking to yourself.

Voices in My Head (Irrelevant): You hear any OOC talk irrelevant to the game, with a DC 15 Listen check. To see on a PbP forum requires a Spot check instead.

Level 2:
Metagame (1/day)

Munchkin Continuation: You may choose one feat to help complete your character build as long as you qualify for the feat. Instead, you may permanently increase one ability score by 2.

Level 3:
Metagame (1/hour)

T/O: Once per day per class level, you may temporarily leave the Game altogether in order to avoid an attack or confrontation. As an immediate action, you leave existence itself and cannot be attacked or affected in any way. This effect lasts for one minute, where you immediately reappear where you disappeared from.

Voices in My Head (Personal): You hear any OOC talk about you or your player, with a DC 25 Listen check. To see on a PbP forum requires a Spot check instead.

Level 4:
Metagame (1/minute)

Munchkin Continuation

Level 5:
Metagame (1/round)

Denial of 'Destiny': When you participate in an encounter where the EL is five or more than your party's average ECL, you gain a +2 bonus to all attacks, saves, and checks (included those to confirm a critical) for every 1 point the EL exceeds your party's average ECL. You also automatically survive any action of the DM that specifically targets you with the intention of limiting your action or killing you (this includes monster/NPC/god fiats).

Retcon: You may rebuild your character, consult the PHB2, as if you had succeeded in one of the rebuilding quests. You must keep all your Free Mind class levels and the end result must be a sort of build conducive to being broken or munchkin.

Voices in My Head (All): You hear any OOC talk, with a DC 35 Listen check. To see on a PbP forum requires a Spot check instead.

Catch
2007-03-09, 04:40 PM
I chuckled.

Also, I wanted to be in before the number-slaves begin to balance this. The irony of that just slays me.

Maerok
2007-03-09, 04:53 PM
Thanks. I got the idea for a campaign like this, but I decided to do this instead. At least for now... And (since it is inevitable, another reference :-P) this isn't intended to be echoing the One, just to represent a basic 'red-pill' of the Matrix for anyone who comments on its lack of Neo-inspired abilities.

NullAshton
2007-03-09, 05:09 PM
Aw. Why not make an alternate PrC, with everyone in magical tubes, providing power for a bunch of sentient constructs? But with some people free from the magical tubes, fighting back against the sentient constructs?