PDA

View Full Version : Help with psionics

j_spencer93
2014-09-06, 05:08 PM
My players thought that somewhere it said that if a target can not see/hear/etc your power (based on display) then the target is not affected by the power. Is that correct?

Troacctid
2014-09-06, 05:12 PM
There is no such rule. You can manifest without a display and nothing else will change.

j_spencer93
2014-09-06, 05:17 PM
Ok thank you. Another issue, i thought somewhere (even my players thought this but can not find it) is the "school" of psionics determine what they can effect.
For example- somewhere we thought we read that pyschometabolism doesnt hurt undead and that telepathy spells couldnt hurt things immune to mind effects. But now i can not find support for this at all.

Eldest
2014-09-06, 05:39 PM
Ok thank you. Another issue, i thought somewhere (even my players thought this but can not find it) is the "school" of psionics determine what they can effect.
For example- somewhere we thought we read that pyschometabolism doesnt hurt undead and that telepathy spells couldnt hurt things immune to mind effects. But now i can not find support for this at all.

Never heard of any of that stuff. Psychometabolism doesn't have many attack powers, and telepathy powers can't affect stuff that's immune to mind effecting... if it's tagged as [mind affecting].

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-06, 05:42 PM

The discipline/school (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#disciplineSubdiscipline) of a given power doesn't mean a given creature will be outright immune to it. Psychometabolism is like Transmutation, which has plenty of spells that can affect undead.

Powers from the Telepathy discipline often have subdisciplines or descriptors that may mean a creature is immune to them. For example, Brain Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/brainLock.htm) is a Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting] power, so any creature immune to compulsion or mind-affecting effects is automatically immune to it, but it's because of those descriptors and not the Telepathy discipline itself.

j_spencer93
2014-09-06, 05:57 PM
Thank you. That was what i was thinking but for some reason we were sure we read that somewhere.

Rubik
2014-09-06, 06:11 PM
From 2nd ed, maybe?