PDA

View Full Version : Catstaway on BBC 1

Dragor
2007-03-09, 04:56 PM
Quite good, just watched it. It's generally a more sensible I'm a Celebrity.... Get me out of here! style show, but without Ant and Dec or fairly annoying B-List celebrities.

The idea is that a large group of people are dumped on an island. One of them is a fan of anarchism (Jonathan), there's the Conservative party lover (Clare) and the fantasy writer, representing geeks across the world (Alistair).

It's worth a watch if only for the personality conflict- but switch your brain off when the presenter comes onto the screen. He's only there for annoying comments and interludes.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-09, 06:55 PM
Hatred for Danny Wallace already!
I love the guy, read some of his books and joined his cult (got sent some cute badges for it too). I considered watching some of it just to support his burgeoning presenting career.

I heard the flaw with this programme was that they are only fifteen minutes walk away from a township with an airstrip, nice cafe etc. So not much isolation really...but then the Beeb said that the mental isolation was more important than the physical isolation, yet they wouldn't film it in the last place would they? I blame Love Island, Shipwrecked and I'm A Celebrity ....for this tropical shift.

Can anyone tell if there is going to be a new Ben Fogle type at this early stage?

Strengfellow
2007-03-09, 07:32 PM
I avoid reality TV like I would a pox ridden whore.
Is there any reason why I should deviate from this course in regards to this particular show?
I'm struck by the thought that the last time the Beeb tried this type of thing we got Ben Fogle.
To quote The Bard, All are Punished. ALL ARE PUNISHED!

Jiktori
2007-03-09, 08:23 PM
What was it that Dead Ringers said..
Something along the lines of 'Castaway, it's exactly the same as celebrity love island, but without the Celebrities.. So it's exactly the same as celebrity love island.'

ray53208
2007-03-10, 12:02 PM
I avoid reality TV like I would a pox ridden whore.
Is there any reason why I should deviate from this course in regards to this particular show?
I'm struck by the thought that the last time the Beeb tried this type of thing we got Ben Fogle.
To quote The Bard, All are Punished. ALL ARE PUNISHED!

i agree with the mind flayer.

Om
2007-03-10, 01:49 PM
I can only surmise that the BBC must commission X number of "low brow" productions a year. Its the only way to explain these constant anomalies in their otherwise excellent schedules.

Dragor
2007-03-11, 05:12 PM
What was it that Dead Ringers said..
Something along the lines of 'Castaway, it's exactly the same as celebrity love island, but without the Celebrities.. So it's exactly the same as celebrity love island.'

It's got no love, only burgeoning hate. Cue Tory vs Anarchist.

And this isn't more of the standard Reality TV show; it's more about the relationships and the leadership which the group has to take to get through their problems. The personalities all vary wildly, so there's usually one person you can relate to.

Just for the note, I hate all other reality TV shows to. Seriously, they make me want to scream. But this is a notch different. It has people who use their brains.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-11, 07:30 PM
But the issue is that, on a tropical island that features a Thai curry house and Irish pub just down the road, they don't have any problems. (Except if a tourist wanders into view...)

But in the first series they had to live self-sufficiently for one whole year (not three months) on a genuinely uninhabitated island. So how can you say that this is more worthy than I'm A Celebrity?