PDA

View Full Version : SO my world's dwarves are fail...?

ngilop
2014-09-06, 09:47 PM
hello everybody :)

SO a long long time ago in a post far away (but maybe still in the future?) I posted a little tidbit about dwarves in my campaign world having access to arcane magic I like a real world (earth) shark swimming in lava and not dieing.

I was told how that makes my dwarves completely useless in the grand scape of things something about no stinking cloud and some other such that I cannot remember.

But are Dwarves really that bad off if they are not wizards/sorcerers?

I was under the impression that with the right domain just about every spell is available to a cleric.

how shafted exactly are my dwarves?

Blackhawk748
2014-09-06, 09:51 PM
Not that shafted actually, as Dwarves usually have more Clerics than others anyhow. From an OP perspective, still not that bad, as Druids and Clerics are still there, just no God Wizard.

ngilop
2014-09-06, 09:55 PM
That's what I thought.

My world has a bit different 'fluff' than standard D&D and I do have race/class resicritctions

Dwarves are not wizards and Elves cannot be Crusaders (not the ToB version) etc etc.

also factor in the fact that if I ever publish my campaign world, my OP-ness is maybe a 3 on the 1 (WoTC) to 10 (Tippy) scale.

the_david
2014-09-06, 11:01 PM
In AD&D dwarves where similarly restricted, only being able to become assassins, fighters and thieves. They could gain Psionic powers though and dwarven clerics existed but were always NPCs. 3rd edition put an end to that because the game designers felt you shouldn't restrict players like that.

Now in the Eddas, the dwarves made magical items such as Mjolnir, potions like the mead of poetry and where able to polymorph into animals and dragons. They didn't seem to be the religious types though, as they where equals to the gods and even capable of killing them. Ofcourse in D&D, the gods are more powerful, and dwarves are mere mortals, so make of it what you want.