PDA

View Full Version : The Pit of Calamity (Group 1)

Zaydos
2014-09-06, 10:53 PM
It stands before you, the Pit of Calamity. Three miles from the nearest settlement, the Pit is fabled throughout the land. Its entrance is a pair of heavy stone doors, or was once. Now they lay strewn across the ground, left in weather worn pieces after their destruction years ago. Words were once written above the door, in an ancient script, said by some to be the language of the lost elven empire of Fellazee, said by others to be the Elder Tongue spoken by the first dragons. What it truly is only the most learned would know, but it is a tongue older than the race of man.

The entrance is a worn passage of stone which leads down at a 30 degree angle. It travels further than the light of the sun can reach, more even than dwarven eyes, nay even a dragon's sight could reach. It is 10-ft wide.

In your posts note marching order and any long duration effects you will be activating before entering the dungeon.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-07, 03:01 AM
A young woman paces impatiently before the open doors to the dark corridors beyond. The first thing you notice about her is her unusual hair, the color of polished copper, falling in an unruly mane around her shoulders. She's either the kind of girl that's both magically inclined and silly enough to enhance her appearance with spells too eye-catching to be practical for exploration, or she's not human. Her subtly gleaming red eyes and eerily perfect looks complete the package. Even her six-foot but curvy figure, covered in an unusual leather adventurer's outfit that has been tailored to be partially skin-tight and revealing, or the odd jewelry and tools that are the mark of most adventurers, seem geared towards looks more than practicality - something that would draw contemptuous snorts from any serious explorers or soldiers.

Come on, slowpokes!

Her impatient remark only underscores a personality that could only be called flighty. Those that don't know her would only see her as monster bait but you've seen her wield battle-magic before. Maybe youth and power have made her arrogant or maybe she's naturally carefree - the jury is still out. Or maybe it's just pretence, a joke played on the brooding and the conservative - a more careful look from the magically experienced reveals several protections woven both around her person and the apparently "useless" outfit...

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-07, 01:39 PM
A young girl, no more than 13 years old, with short brown hair runs up to the gate of the dungeon "WAIT! WAIT FOR ME!" she shouts. She's dressed in plain monk's robes and a rather elegant looking robe. On her back she carries a backpack, a bow and quiver, and around her neck hangs a Copper Pendant (http://www.celticcopper.com/mm5/graphics/images/PP68lrg.jpg). A tan cat leads the way in front of her. It yowls to get her attention then bounds forward stopping at the door to the dungeon. A few moments later the girl stops at the dungeon gate, out of breath "I told you to wait for me, Soru." the cat turns its nose up. Looking up, the girl meets the gaze of the young woman "Oh, hello! My name is Rae." She extends a hand "And this is my cat, Soru...He's a bit grumpy today."

R-Group
2014-09-07, 01:55 PM
Scampering up the rocks and cracks littering the muckish ground, a small grey-skinned creatures scrambles over the desultory mess as a quadruped - scrambling and scrabbling to haul his clanking mismatch of equipment at a decent pace. He follows the brazen woman before him at a distance, paying the world little more attention than to find the best footholds. Absentmindedly, short mutterings in a foreign tongue creep from its tooth-filled maw; sharp whimpers of discontent dribbling out in his wake.

Reaching the smashed entrance ahead, the unnatural thing straightens and flexes long fringed antennae to flick and taste the air. Amid the jumble of heavy tubes, gauges, and pipes that adorn the crusted armor of the alien, several miniscule controls are manipulated. With a mechanical hum, the suit flutters to life and attunes itself to the barren surroundings. A high-pitched whine precedes the formation of a crystalline bubble, encompassing the small creature's head with a soft pop.

The thing kneads its rough hands together and peers unseeing into the gloom. After a short pause, he opens again the sharp maw and spits out a short sentence in the Common speech, though his tone is rough and haltering like someone who learned speech only by reading.

"Don't feel right, down there. Air taste...unctuous...like it too dirty, or, maybe too clean?"

Activating Apocalyptic Sustenance, which will last for 24 hours from now.

Yas392
2014-09-08, 03:53 AM
Grey and pale is the females normal coloring for her skin growing darker as it proceeds to her clothing. It is a clothing fit for any assassin, swathed by a cloak that is almost transparent. She stands tall at her prime, a perfect sculpture of a woman, black eyes expertly draws admirer even if she's not fully human. Occasionally, her gills draws air but that is due to her alignment to the ones who spawned her, the ones from limbo. Her hand flips dagger which flickers into existence back and fro as she moves towards the doors of the dungeon. Her eyes are expectant of the enemies that dwell beneath the dungeon after she tail this group who welcome her. She sighs as she hears the complain of that pushy mage, increasing her pace to catch up. She ruminates, speaking to herself and mouth lines into devilish smile. It is danger abound...but what kinds of danger lies within?

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-08, 04:26 AM
Auriel Brightglow (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1001989)
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance

The name's Auriel... the fiery redhead says as she sits down to examine the broken door and the floor around it. Was the cause of their destruction magical? Probably too much time has passed to tell but it didn't hurt to try. Besides, there were some mundane supplies she needed. With deft motions she picked up many tiny little pebbles, each no larger than a pea, and put them in a pocket.
...Auriel Brightglow. she finishes with a smile as she looks back as the others. As for why I got that nickname? She makes a throwing motion with one hand and a tiny source of light as bright as a torch but almost too small to see is cast down the dark passage. Let's just say I have a tendency to bring light in the dark corners of the world.

Auriel takes 10 on Spellcraft to see if the gate was broken by magic and how, for a result of 21.
She gets many really small pebbles from the ground and casts Light on one of them then throws it down the passage. The remaining pebbles will be similarly used as foci for Light spells in the future.

Yas392
2014-09-08, 05:11 AM
No doubt. Brightglow is easier to remember, may I call you that instead? Hawkie take a whole minute looking into darken hole being alight by the stone cast by Auriel, trying to adjust herself and then listening on the ground before returning to introducing herself in full. I am Hawkie. You can say that I mostly don't miss my marks. And I adopted the name from the commoners and nobles alike due to my past deeds. She nods in understanding as the young child introduces herself. Please to meet you, Rae and Soru.

Survival (To acclimated to natural hazards) - [roll0]
Listen (Take 10) - 18
Spot (Take 10) - 18

Zaydos
2014-09-08, 11:34 AM
Casting the shining stones down into the tunnel they bounce and roll down it till they find themselves caught at various paces where the initial thrust is no longer enough to keep them bouncing down the slope, caught by uneven spots in the floor. The tunnel goes, probably, at least 200-ft down at this angle.

Time has worn at the doors since whatever happened did. They seem to have blasted off, possibly by a force effect, but you couldn't say with any certainty what did it.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-08, 01:33 PM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Centipede.

I can only tell the doors were blasted open by magic, maybe a force effect, but not exactly what. The young redhead shakes her head. Now, let's make a rudimentary trap check. Focusing intently, the mage gestures for a few moments and a tiny speck flickers into existence. Then it grows before your eyes until it becomes a centipede the size of a pig. Auriel points and the multi-legged thing clatters down the passage at a surprising pace.
Giant insects. The cheapest way to check for traps without endangering cuddly animals. Not perfect though - if one of you knows how, you should probably check for traps that weren't triggered.

Summon Monster I for medium-sized centipede.

Zaydos
2014-09-08, 01:39 PM
The centipede sets off in the indicated direction moving down the tunnel at full speed until it is out of sight. No traps seem to trigger.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-08, 03:01 PM
Rae jumps aside in a bit of fright when the giant bugs appear but after a little heartracing subsides she'll stand at the entrance and look down, Nothing Ventured, nothing Gained. Let's go! I'll take the lead." She looks down at her cat "Soru, just yowl if you sense anything, Okay" Soru nods as Rae takes out her everburning torch out of her pack to light the way. "You guys should stay about thirty feet behind me, It can get a bit shocking when the magic starts" The cat glares up at her "Trust me, It's better when it's a surprise the first time." She says at the cat. Soru makes a harumph noise and starts walking in front of her as she heads down into the pit.

Aloof familar personality (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17641271&postcount=2) detects presence (but not location) of aberrations, constructs, dragons, magical beasts, outsiders, fey, and undead

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-08, 03:42 PM

Αre you sure you want to be first?. Auriel asks the younger girl uncertainly. The mage had never met an adventurer younger than her, proportionately speaking, and certainly not one that seemed a teenager. Still, the redhead remembered how often others played the age card against her and decided not to copy their prejudices. If the younger girl said she wanted to take the lead, she'd accept her judgement until it proved wrong. Not one to wait too long on preparation and planning she followed with an easy pace, spellfire at the ready.

Will follow 30 ft behind.

Yas392
2014-09-08, 05:29 PM
Hawkie reels back as a summon scampers into the cavern as a detector but regain her composure quickly. She follows behind but ahead of Auriel, hiding in the shadows at least, 10 ft behind, covering her back. I hope you know what you are doing. It is a good move that someone chose take the initiative to lead. If there is an opening, it can be turned into opportunities. However, a pre-teen girl taking the lead is not surprising. She had learned to not judge a book by its cover and she had seen younger trainees in her order, traipsing a dungeon without a thought and fear.

Taking 10 on the following skills
Hide - 25
Move Silently - 25

Zaydos
2014-09-08, 06:05 PM
You've walked a little ways after the centipede when you hear a insectile screaming and hissing sound coming from ahead. It then quickly goes quiet.

As soon as the centipede appears it begins to go off. It does not stop with the scream.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-08, 06:23 PM
Soru lets out a quick yowl as a shiver goes from his head to his tail "Heads up, everybody, there's magical creatures near" She clutches her pendant and holds the torch up, pressing forward ready for anything to enter the light.

R-Group
2014-09-08, 08:17 PM
The ugly creature skitters after his companions, loping over the rough ground in an attempt to keep pace. Antennae twitching, he allows them to see for him - sculpting an immaculate landscape of his surroundings - to which he is in actuality forever blind. Positioning himself along the march order, he scrabbles over the debris between the Assassin and the youngest of their troupe, maintain the position of his companions through his sphere of delicate senses.

As the band enters the tunnels, the alien's twitters do not cease; he babbles an unbroken stream of minute whispers and clucks from his grotesque maw. From time to time, his voice raises in response to quips spoken dozens of minutes ago, as though only now they have reached his ears.

"Quite, a well welcome, it is...for we warriors, of very, especially, divergent places. I would, with gladness, introduce my, own, self - I am the Speaker, for that without words."

At the Centipede's death throes, Speaker's attention is diverted from his rambling with a sudden snap. "It appears, as though, we shall be met, by the darkness."

I don't have any skills to roll, but can Speaker smell anything in particular emanating from the Pit?

And wow you fellows move fast. I'll have to sprint to keep up.

Yas392
2014-09-08, 09:22 PM
The daggers that are flicking back and forth, suddenly materialized in full glory, clenched in her two hands. Hawkie retains her silence, moves stealthily ahead to scout at the sound of the death. Her eyes darts around, most probably trying to sight the monster.

Spot (Take 10) - 18
Hide (Take 10) - 25
Move Silently (Take 10) - 25
Listen (Take 10) - 18

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-09, 03:05 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Invisibility 2x (?).

As soon as the scream is heard, Auriel walks ahead and taps Rae in one shoulder. When the girl looks up at her, Auriel winks... and the girl becomes invisible. Should have done this before... the mage grumbles almost inaudibly. If time permits, she'll make herself invisible as well.

Invisibility on Soru. Unless battle or something else important starts before she can do so, she'll repeat it on herself.

Zaydos
2014-09-09, 09:38 PM
15-ft in front of the others Hawkie is the first to see the creature clearly. Wide enough to fill the tunnel, tail poised behind its chitin covered flesh the creatures first appearance is as it charges Hawkie, one large chelae striking out at him. The massive scorpion's chelicerae tremble as it makes a strange hissing-spitting sound. Another scorpion visible in the firelight behind it, and yet another further back.

A musty odor reaches your nose, a certain level of acridness to it; the scent of some form of invertebrate. From your echolocation it would seem to be a large scorpion.

Axes

A

B

C
&
&

D
&
&

E
^
^

F
^
^

G
%
%

G
%
%

H
Ha

I

J

K

L
S

M
A

N
Sp

Initiative is: Everyone but Auriel, Scorpions, Auriel.
First encounter is: 4 easy scorpions, bonus points if you can beat them before they get a full round (the previous was a surprise round because they partial charged from outside of sight distance.
Sora and Auriel are invisible.

Yas392
2014-09-09, 10:41 PM
Hawkie does not budge at the menacing eyes focusing on her. She assesses the behaviour of the creature before she strikes. With a deft flick of her hands, she begins her assault, slashing diagonally right and left with her daggers in perfect angles before she finishes with a cross slash.

Move action to feint (Bluff vs Sense Motive) - [roll0]

Attack - [roll1]
Attack - [roll2]
Attack - [roll3]
Attack - [roll4]
Attack - [roll5]

Sneak attack on first attack if feint successful - [roll6]

Damage - [roll7]
Damage - [roll8]
Damage - [roll9]
Damage - [roll10]
Damage - [roll11]

Crit confirm - [roll12]
Crit confirm - [roll13]
Crit confirm - [roll14]
Crit confirm - [roll15]
Crit confirm - [roll16]

Critical Damage - [roll17]
Critical Damage - [roll18]
Critical Damage - [roll19]
Critical Damage - [roll20]
Critical Damage - [roll21]

Zaydos
2014-09-09, 11:36 PM
The scorpion doesn't even flinch (non-intelligent creature immune to feints*) as the two daggers stab into it causing its blue blood to spill out**, coating them. The creature looks wounded as the blades pull from its flesh.

*: Note to self how painful this is needs to be observed and assessed for modification.

**: Yes I know that it's horseshoe crabs with blue blood, but they're arthropods and so are scorpions and they'd need a better circulatory sysem at that size.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-10, 05:14 AM
Seeing the scorpions, Rae's eyes go wide. The circumstances were less than ideal, but she could still try. She drops her pack and torch and takes a five foot step forward "THUNDER..." Rae's voice reverberates as the invisibility fades, her pendant hovers between her hands, glowing with bright blue-white light "FLASH!"

Musical Accompaniment (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRV-RE3HkI#t=19)

There is a bright light as her body becomes a multicolored silhouette suspended in air. She holds out her arms as bands of lightning wrap out from her pendant to her torso and coalesce into a white bodysuit. She holds out her arms as bands of lightning wrap around her wrists then form in to elegant copper bracers. They twist down her legs to make blue heeled boots. The lightning forms at her neck down her back into a short blue cape that extends to about her elbows. With that there's a flash and Rae's back to normal, posing with her new outfit. her bow and quiver having taken on a new appearance as well.

Transform, suppressing "Sweet Flash",
Inspiring Form grants everyone gets a +2 morale bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, caster level checks, and saving throws for 8 rounds

R-Group
2014-09-10, 02:51 PM
Speaker, pausing mid-sentence, drops back to his four limbs and rushes forward - kicking up dust and sending rocks clattering across the ruined floor. "Ex'scuse me!" he hisses, stressing the constants through his alien jaw as he barrels down the tunnel past his companions. He skids to a halt before the closest arachnid monster, snapping up one of his heavy brass gauntlets and leveling the contraption against the oncoming beasts.

After uttering a few short command words in his bizarre tongue, an opening set to the palm of his clawed hand claps open with a mechanical hiss, releasing a great stream of frigid vapors down the passageway. Cackling madly, the squat alien opens the destructive portal wider, releasing the terrible cold of space. The fury of the reversed vacuum sends dust motes to flurry, and kicks the tunnels as though a windstorm was released in the confined space.

Move Action - 30 ft. to I2

Standard Action - Activate Breath of Ice Invocation, DC 21 Reflex half; [roll0] Cold Damage, +2 if Rae's Inspiring Form affects Invocations

Activating Mortalbane on Breath of Ice for an additional [roll1] Cold Damage. In addition, Breath of Ice creates a 25 mph wind in the tunnel, though I don't imagine that will have any non-cosmetic effects.

Zaydos
2014-09-10, 03:05 PM
Rime covers the scorpions, the injured creature collapsing onto the ground, its body covered in frost and ice, even as the other two scream out in pain, a pair of long, horrible hisses. Near dead, one pressed forward striking at the source of that horrible ice, but its claw misses Speaker striking the ground by his feet, even as the other that was stricken pushes back down the tunnel.

One retreats off the current map and out of sight, one charges Speaker, the uninjured one holds its action because it has nothing to do, the other is dead.

Axes

A

B

C

D

E

F

G
^
^

G
^
^

H
Ha
Sp

I

J

K

L
S

M
A

N

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-10, 03:19 PM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Invisibility 2x (?).

Asha's Truth, you're ugly. Auriel declares at seeing the scorpions. As soon as she's able, she raises both hands and casts the simplest and most well-known of all spells; magic missile. But unlike other casters, she casts one with each hand and as soon as woven, the matrix of each spell seems to boil and multiply, producing a veritable missile storm of silver homing streaks.

Casting Magic Missile for both slots of Dualcast and modified with Spellstorm. This sends two Magic Missile spells at every target within range, except for the party members she specifically excludes. Therefore each target takes 8x 1d4+1. Does Rae's bonus to damage rolls apply here? If yes and it is for each roll, add 16 damage per affectedenemy. If yes and it is for each spell, add 4 damage per enemy. I'm gonna roll the damage for all targets so as not to drown the thread with rolls;
8d4+8

Zaydos
2014-09-10, 04:23 PM
The scorpion that was before Speaker crumbles to the ground under the barrage of magical missiles, even as the last finally charges forward, its chitin cracked and pitted from the impacts of the missiles into its shell. Its celea closes around Speaker's torso (5 damage) as it lifts him up off of the ground (Improved Grab + Grappled).

Yas392
2014-09-10, 05:56 PM
Wasting no time, she does whatever is necessary while she is temporarily strengthen by the offshoot of dazzling beams from the transformation of the magical girl that lights up every corner of the tunnel. With this great boost of confidence swelling inside her, she lunges to finish off the half dead scorpion before the grey creature was crushed by its chelae by burying her daggers repetitively on its exposed flank. Wrong move, darling.

Full action

Attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Damage:
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Sneak Attacks:
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]

Crit confirm:
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Crit Damage:
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]
[roll24]

Zaydos
2014-09-10, 06:41 PM
It avoids the first blow, but the second brings the creature down. None remain within the light of your light spells or everburning torches.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-10, 08:31 PM
Rae is a bit pouty, She didn't get to fight the giant monsters. Her cat looks up to her and paws at her boot "It's okay, you'll get the next one" it says encouragingly. Rae steps back and picks up her torch and pack. ""Next time, then" She turns to Speaker "Are you okay?"

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-10, 09:18 PM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light.

That thing was as large as a horse and had more legs to boot. Auriel comments, shaking her head. I doubt we can catch it but that's only half the problem. Anyone have an idea how we could unblock the corridor so we can move on? She points out the three horse-sized bodies blocking the path, two of them lying one on top of the other.

Yas392
2014-09-10, 09:39 PM
Hawkie cleanly slices the chelae to free Speaker. We'll have to blow up every trace of the bodies or move them somewhere else unless you want to climb over them. Do any of you have the spell for that? The lesser outsider shies away from the poisonous blood, letting her "daggers" fade away.

R-Group
2014-09-10, 11:41 PM
Spitting in aggravation and pain, Speaker wretchedly pulls his gnarly shape out from the thick arachnid claws. Clutching a hand to his side, he barks with pain and pulls back to revel murkish green blood. The alien funk begins to congeal and sop the ground, eliciting a tremulous whine from that gaping mouth. "Time's been, better, rather...than right, now," he hisses at the young girl, stumbling a few steps across the stone floor.

After yet another moment of griping, Speaker rouses himself to action. He clutches again for his bulky gauntlets, this time drawing out a heavy syringe and lengths of rubbery tubing. Pressing the syringe against the ruined flesh across his side, he injects some turgid compound deep into the wound, which miraculously begins to re-knit itself back to a healthy slime-covered grey. He twitches his antennae back towards his companions.

"Don't want, dying, yet eh? The disappeared, they don't win, no, prizes."

Standard - Activate Mend the Wounds of the Past Invocation to heal the damage suffered last round, for a total of 5 plus [roll0] damage.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-11, 07:02 AM
Rae will walk over and grab one of the scorpions by its claw, then drag it back with ease on her own. Clearing them out of the way by herself
I can drag with up to 6000 pounds. It shouldn't be a problem.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-11, 10:14 AM

Whoa! Teenage girl with the strength of an ogre! Auriel exclaims. Remind me to walk behind you if things get dicey in melee. She jokes before walking further down the pass. Retrieving her glowing rock, she throws it again, illuminating further down the corridor.

Zaydos
2014-09-11, 12:21 PM
This time the stone makes it all the way to the bottom of the slope, merely 80-ft away now, about where the centipede should have been when it died. The hallway seems to widen where the slope stops, but due to the constraints of the tunnel you are not in a good position to see how much.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-11, 08:26 PM
"I wouldn't know, I've never fought one." She says happily as she drops the last scorpion out of the way "It's mostly just monsters and beasts and stuff" She looks down at her cat and pets him. "Soru wouldn't like it if I use my powers irresponsibly"
The cat backs away from her hand. "I'd like it if you didn't treat combat like a game. Maybe some discression wouldn't hurt" he retorts, "It's an artifact, one of the most dangerous relics of my era. Not a toy."
"Oh be quiet" She sticks her tongue out at the cat, then she picks up her torch and leads the way down where the stone dropped "Oh, and when I'm transformed, please call me Skyfyre Soldier. Or Skyfyre. I probably won't run into any nemesi down here, but you never know"

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-12, 12:18 PM

Too much waiting! the young mage proclaims. Whoever gets to the next fight last is an old fart! She jokes as she runs down to the next chamber.

Zaydos
2014-09-12, 12:38 PM
As Auriel reaches the end of the slope the last, heavily injured scorpion rushes her, claw first and misses laughably. Its claw strikes the ground beside her as it hisses and spats.

The room itself is hexagonal, each wall 20-ft long. In the middle of each wall but the one to the left of entrance is a pair of old stone double doors. Looking to the sides of the entrance you can see where hinges once stood, but they seem to have been hacked apart by something in days of old and the doors carried away, perhaps because they were made of valuable metal.

Above each of the 4 doors is a symbol. Counterclockwise, starting from the door in the wall segment to your right these symbols are: A sword (http://www.wordans.com/wvc-1276734564/wordansfiles/images/2010/6/16/37058/37058_340.jpg); a cube (http://developer.blackberry.com/playbook/native/files/documentation/gry1339512333280.png); an eye (http://callcharles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Eye-Symbol.png); a set of 9 dots (http://www.stuffwecomeupwit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/9punti1.gif).

Party turn. Seeing as it was left at noticeably less than 10 hit points I'm assuming a Magic Missile spam just flat kills it.

Soru's senses are still registering some supernatural critter of some sort.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-12, 02:14 PM
"Hmmm...I'm not so good at puzzles. Does anybody see any writing we can use to help us?" She'll then look around for any words.

[roll0]

Zaydos
2014-09-12, 02:17 PM
Walking around the room you find nothing written there.

1 (pay no attention to the ominous counting)

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-12, 03:34 PM

Suddenly a twin line of lightning comes out of Auriel's upraised hands, striking the nearest door with the sizzling of current rather than the burst of thunder. What? the mage asks as people stare, one pale eyebrow raised. Never much liked barriers in my path, anyway.

Auriel will use Force Lightning Storm Surge on the door with the eye twice. With her talents boosting the effective spell level, she does significant damage;
[roll0]
[roll1]

Zaydos
2014-09-12, 03:47 PM
The stone door is scorched by the electricity cracks running across its surface.

Note: energy damage to objects with the exception of sonic and possibly acid tends towards the ineffective. It is halved and then reduced by hardness; assuming these are normal stone doors they have at least 30 hit points and 8 hardness, you'd have dealt 10 to it. Noticeable, but significantly less than a single Power Attack (at Lv 8 ~21 damage), and much less than a mountain hammer (~36). Of course the advantage here is if it were trapped in a way to hurt someone who attacked the stone directly but which doesn't affect someone not adjacent to it.

Actually at 18 Str, a Lv 5 fighter ought to be able to smash a wooden door as a standard action a decent amount of the time (average damage with full PA is 23, 18 after hardness, a wooden door has 20 hp) and a warblade ought to be able to do it with Mountain Hammer automatically (min damage 20, ignores hardness) and on a stone door most of the time (average damage 32).

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-12, 04:19 PM
"Let me give it a shot"
She stands in front of the sword door. First attempting to open it by hand. It might not be locked.
Also, typical stone doors have 60 hit points, not 30. Super tough to just wail on.

Zaydos
2014-09-12, 04:26 PM
The door opens without resistance, you see a small stone hallway, 10-ft wide. It goes 10-ft then to the right for 10-ft before turning back towards the left.

That's what I get for just using the PHB's stats which only has 2 inch or less doors.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-12, 05:16 PM
"The sword door...a swinging blade trap, maybe? Soru, you wanna go in first?" The cat gives her an incredulous look "You're kidding, right? Can't we summon something up? something heavy. You can set pressure triggers to weight"

Yas392
2014-09-12, 05:17 PM
You don't give up easily, do you? The lesser frog woman just typically wail daggers at the scorpion as it tries to attack the ecstatic woman, the sound of force daggers screeching towards the scorpion to pierce it.

Finishing the scorpion by throwing daggers.

Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Damage
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

I agree. We are lagging. She watches as the door is blasted apart by Auriel's force magic, awaiting the party's decision before they move through the now opened door.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-13, 02:21 AM

Auriel calls forth another centipede, sending it to scout the tunnel for no more than a hundred feet, then come back.
Do you think we should open the other doors, too? She asks while waiting for her summons to either come back or die messily.

Zaydos
2014-09-13, 02:28 AM
The centipede quickly returns, unscathed.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-13, 05:17 AM
"I'm going to say no, In my experience, when you make a decision, you stick to it." Rae will then lead the way down the hall in the footsteps of the centipede.

Zaydos
2014-09-13, 10:25 AM
The hallway turns to the left again a mere 10-ft after the turn you could see before, the stone becoming unfinished, and then 10-ft later it turns back to the right opening into a 60-ft diameter room of uneven and natural stone, a boulder sitting in the middle with gold laying scattered across it. At the far end of the room is what seems to be a gap in the stone that would allow further progress.

Almost forgot to give you your points for the first battle. 200 Points for the Scorpions, and the Accomplishment "First Steps" with another bonus 300 Points.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-13, 02:34 PM
Rae will tentatively step into the room, taking a few steps toward the boulder to see what happens.

Zaydos
2014-09-13, 02:48 PM
Rae reaches 15-ft into the room and nothing has happened yet.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-13, 03:44 PM

Look! Shiny! Auriel says with a smile, playing up her youthful impulsiveness. Then, she confirms that part of her personality by pointing at a small piece of gold, levitating it and having it land on her centipede rather than her palm. Impulsive she may be, but not stupid - the gold may be cursed, poisoned or worse. Better not touch it before checking it out.

Mage Hand a piece of gold from the maximum possible distance - up to 75 feet. Preferably before entering the room itself. She'll land it on her centipede to check for hidden contact curses and/or poison. She'll then check with detect poison and detect magic just to be sure.

Zaydos
2014-09-13, 03:52 PM
Nothing happens to the centipede, at least not immediately.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-13, 07:14 PM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Centipede 4x.

Excellent! Auriel says as the centipede doesn't immediately suffer a premature and violent death. She proceeds to summon her limit of four centipedes without compromizing her basic defenses and puts them to work. Gather all the gold in one spot. She commands, pointing at a place just outside the chamber.

Zaydos
2014-09-14, 06:48 PM
As the centipedes gather the coins into a pile, a stone fist suddenly strikes Skyfire Soldier in the back of her head (14 damage). The arm is all that is visible from outside of the room, a mass of shifting, crumbling stone.

Turning as you see movement from the corner of your eye you can see the creature half emerged from the curve where the ceiling and the wall meet, a massive creature of stone, loam, and shifting dust. You have a feeling of unsettled dread as you look at it, and as it strikes you with one massive first, swinging from its stone body which reaches down from the ceiling 20-ft above (It's body being 10-ft above you). You feel your life force being sucked away, pulled into the hungry void, as a pair of dull stones glare at you like dead eyes (it inflicts 1 negative level).

The smell of the tomb assails your nose, grave soil, and the stale air of death. Something inhuman reaches out from the corner of the wall above and behind Skyfire, a vaguely human shape, lumpy and uneven, its long hand lashing out and striking the girl from behind.

It is Rae's turn, fear unworked stone, for it is more dangerous than gold.

R-Group
2014-09-14, 07:18 PM
The Star-Fallen practically leaps into the air with surprise when the creature launches its attack. His antennae practically buzz through the air as they search for information, from any source, as to what that unnatural presence was and is. Flailing backwards in place, the alien screeches a warning to his companions.

"Drop that glitter, something, something dead, has come! Not, right in, but wrong, that air."

After his quick plea, the alien's harsh voice peters out to gibberish, and he swivels his blank face from side to side in a senseless attempt to locate the creature's presence once more.

Making a few quick Knowledge Checks to see if Speaker can't identify the thing:

Arcana - [roll0]
Dungeoneering - [roll1]
Nature - [roll2]
The Planes - [roll3]

Zaydos
2014-09-14, 07:21 PM
It seems to be an earth elemental, but something is strange about it, the smell is wrong. Earth elementals are able to move through unworked stone and dirt freely, and more powerful as long as they and their foe are touching the ground. It is probably at least huge in total mass.

Yas392
2014-09-14, 07:27 PM
Oh my, we should have left the gold alone. She ducks and tumble for a hiding spot to avoid being pummelled.

Hide - [roll0]

R-Group
2014-09-14, 08:38 PM
As realization crosses Speaker's vague features, his garbled murmurs quickly transform into a shrill cry of horror. He squawks a jabbered warning at his companions, and gestures back towards the way they came.

"Wrong, wrong smell! Earth-thing isn't right...should leave, most haste."

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-14, 09:15 PM
Rae seems a bit dizzy from the blow, but shaking her head, she'll tumble backwards 20ft then hold out her right hand "STORMFIRE CLOUD!" A dazzling violet burst of crackling electricity covers her attacker.
[roll0]

[roll1] away 20ft and Use Stormfire ring on the elemental. Faerie Fire effect for 5 rounds dealing 1d6 electricity damage each round

Zaydos
2014-09-14, 09:26 PM
Lightning crackles across the elemental's form as it pushes forward towards Skyfire, its body sliding across the stone towards Skyfire seemingly uncaring about the coruscating energy pulsing across its form. It moves till it is directly over Skyfire's head (almost directly over the pile of gold, 35-ft into the room; out of Speaker's blindsight, and its scent is while noticeable with scent not a notably strong odor and while airflow towards the entrance/exit would be towards your back that just means you know that it's in that vague direction) and then lashes out, straight down at Skyfire one powerful smack at the girl as if intent to squash her like an insect. The powerful stone hands striking her in the head (18 damage) and knocking her to the ground apparently insensate.

As it strike you, you can feel your energy flowing into its hand (Another negative level) everything goes black as you fall to the ground (negative levels reduce max hp by 5, so I believe you're at -3 or -8 depending upon whether you included it on your sheet).

It is party turn.

I am assuming away meant directly away from the entrance the creature is above.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-14, 09:29 PM
Skyfire is unconcious and bleeding out, her clothes change back into ordinary Rae as Soru rushes to her side.

Yup, that's negative 8

R-Group
2014-09-14, 10:13 PM
Shuffling his various pieces of heavy equipment from place to place, Speaker punches a quick succession of command prompts into a small dialogue box hidden away behind a brass panel. His computations complete, the ancient alien technology once more revs to life with a cantankerous hiss, mechanical pistons sliding into position as inelegant tubing reassigns their function. There is a sharp intake of air, and with a single step forward the alien begins to defy the ground - vast turbine motors spit fire from the armor's back-plate, swiftly lifting the Star-Fallen from the rubble below.

He buzzes forward in a feverish haste, scanning the air with sensitive organs in a dire attempt to locate his fallen friend. Spinning diagonally across the cavernous space, Speaker skims low and tight around the Elemental, until once more Rae is within range of his unnatural vision, should it be called that. Once she is found, he climbs for altitude away to keep distance between the vicious Elemental and his fragile, airborne person.

Satisfied with his position, the alien quickly sets to work, he draws out the same heavy syringe he used before on himself - this time launching the complex device across the room towards his dying fellow.

Swift - Activate Hawkfeather Armor for Flight Speed and +4 Charisma (5 rounds and 9 minutes, respectively)

Movement - Flying 50 ft. around the Elemental until Rae is back in Blindsight, and then attempting to create as much space as possible between the Elemental and Speaker, while still keeping Rae in vision, of course.

Standard - Activating Invocation, Mend the Wounds of the Past, which has a Range of 70 ft. and heals Rae 7 HP base plus [roll0] damage suffered in the last round. I'm not sure if that includes Surprise rounds, though.

Zaydos
2014-09-15, 12:33 AM
Rae is now conscious although might be advised to play dead for a bit.

Been more than a round since the first damage was dealt, I will definitely have to work on the wording of that invocation some. It does heal the 18 damage dealt. Rae is prone, however, and probably doesn't want to stand up with an elemental waiting to smack them.

It also does nothing to the negative levels, I am just waiting for more of them to find out it's inflicting those.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-15, 01:16 PM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Centipede 4x.

Hey Rockhead! Auriel shouts as she gets closer. The kid is under my protection! For attacking her, face fiery judgement! From the sorceresse's left hand, a small but very bright red bead launches forth and strikes the rock-thing with a deafening boom, exploding in a miniature but fairly intense fireball.

Auriel gets within thirty feet of the thing as a move action, then launches a fiery burst. For her that's a 5' supernatural fireball with a range of 30 ft, 8d6 fire damage, reflex save DC 22 for half. And she ends her turn, not casting a second spell for the round.
[roll0]

Zaydos
2014-09-15, 01:20 PM
The creature, with surprising agility for something made of stone (Nat 20), manages to dodge the brunt of the flames.

It is Hawkie's and/or Skyfire's turns... if Skyfire wants to act and not lay there hoping it mistakes her for dead.

Yas392
2014-09-15, 05:08 PM
She cringes as it drops Rae with two blows. She has to be meticulous. She brings to life, a large leather whip that surges forth to bind the floating elemental.

Move until she has a clear line of sight of the elemental
Use feather token (whip) as a standard action.
Whip will try to attack elemental, attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1] if hit, grapple: [roll2]

Zaydos
2014-09-15, 05:25 PM
The whip strikes the elemental but it barely seems to notice it, flexing slightly to break free of the bonds (Its grapple modifier is higher than the grapple check). The elemental then begins to move, shifting till it is almost directly over Auriel and striking at her, positioned so Speaker is within range of its long arm.

Seeing if Wings of Cover will be used, I'm predicting yes.

Zaydos
2014-09-15, 08:14 PM
The earth elemental's hand strikes hard into Auriel, it's powerful fist pounding into the mage (21 damage).

As it strikes you, you can feel your life energy being siphoned away, pulled into the hungry void which fills the creature (1 negative level It is a necromental, I might not be evil enough to have it drop of the ceiling onto you or grapple you, but I'm evil enough for that).

R-Group
2014-09-16, 09:19 PM
Careening through the cavernous room on jets of fire, Speaker once more spins off into the distance, opposite Auriel - a baited attempted to draw the Elemental away from his erstwhile companions. Stopping thirty feet out, so that the stone creature linger just within his complex organ-sight, he takes a last moment to careful observe its destructive nature.

Satisfied by his findings, the alien revisits his ungainly equipment - this time reaching for a bulky voxophone built of burnished brass and glass tubing. Twisting dials and extending a lengthy radio cable, he attempts to connect the necrotic Elemental with the psychotic scrambling relays of the Star-Fallen World-Chariot. Only the disjointed mind of his space-faring species is naturally able to withstand the psychic barrage of their living vessels babbling. Hopefully the violent eternal will suffer as the minds of so many others have.

Move Action - Flying 50 ft. in the opposite direction as Auriel, so the Elemental will have to choose between him or her. Speaker will maintain a 30 ft. open space between the Elemental and himself in this manner, if possible.

Knowledge (Religion) Check - [roll0]

Standard Action - Activating the Madness Comes for All Invocation. DC 21 Will (+2 for boosted Charisma) or the Elemental suffers [roll1] Damage, and is Confused (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/confusion.htm) for one Round. A successful Will Save negates the Confusion and deals only half-damage.

OOC - I made a mistake on my character sheet, and whichever that Wisdom damaging power was, it turns out I don't have it. I might as well try and delay the Elemental's next action then, so we can either regroup, reposition, heal if possible, etc.

Zaydos
2014-09-16, 09:36 PM
The elemental seems completely unaffected as its dull, dead, eye-like stones glance momentarily at the flying creature, almost contemptuously.

You are fairly certain it is not a normal elemental.

Yas392
2014-09-17, 01:02 AM
Hawkie moves the right side of the undying earth construct as it's attention is on Speaker. She tries again to stop the elemental hurling her daggers to try to scratch it.

Move within 20 ft of the elemental flank. (To give you an idea, if Speaker is North of Auriel, Hawkie will be north-east of her)
Her whip strikes out: [roll0] if hit, grapple [roll1] Due to out of range.
Daggers: primary [roll2] (19 due to range increment) offhand [roll3] dealing [roll4] and [roll5]

Zaydos
2014-09-17, 01:11 AM
Note: The "elemental" is still 10-ft above the ground, meaning you need reach to melee attack it, or are you throwing the daggers which would be... more accurate. the same attack bonus assuming you were attacking from 20-ft which would be advisable.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-17, 04:04 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Centipede 3x, 1 negative level.

OW! That hurt! Auriel squeaks as the fist smashes down on her. Taking a quick breath to recover, she points both hands at the pile of rocks and blasts it with lightning. Don't get close people! She shouts. As long as you're not too close, I can prevent it from hitting me!

Casting her most powerful magic at it, a twinned Storm Bolt. As a supernatural effect, it draws no AoOs.
[roll0]
[roll1]
Will also ready a benign transposition for her smaller spell. Been reading up on some rules and found out something interesting that allows the risk of going Nova within the bad guy's reach. Hopefully I'm right and the whole group won't die horribly.

Zaydos
2014-09-19, 12:06 AM
Daggers of force chip at the elemental's form even as it avoids the first burst of electricity (RNG likes it :smallannoyed:) but is hit squarely by the second. It roars swinging at Auriel ignoring the whip and daggermaster striking it.

(Benign transposition now I'm assuming letting a scorpion go splat)

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-09-21, 07:51 AM
(centipede actually, but yes)

Zaydos
2014-09-22, 10:22 PM
The necromental strikes the centipede splatting it handily.

It is party turn.

Yas392
2014-09-22, 10:46 PM
Keep it distracted, Brightglow! With a roguish smile and a deft throw, she once again unleashes her storm of force daggers on the lethal earthly being.

Full attack otherwise first two attacks. She will be 20 ft apart taking -2 penalty on all her attacks due to range increment further than 10 ft

Attacks
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-23, 11:42 AM
Rae will use her anklet to move and put the boulder between herself and the necromental. Then she'll stand and take a total defence action.

Zaydos
2014-09-23, 04:07 PM
As the two daggers strike into it the necromental bellows a bit, the sound of an annoyed beast.

OoC: Beelzebub can you give me a hide check if you're trying to actually hide from the elemental (it's more than 60-ft away along the ground) and Yas I will note that you get a -2 per complete range increment not for being over it (one of those it took me forever to realize) not that it mattered here you had 2 hits regardless.

Beelzebub1111
2014-09-23, 04:42 PM
I'll do my best [roll0]

EDIT: forgot the two negative levels, it's a 19, then.

Zaydos
2014-09-29, 01:14 PM
The elemental does not react to the magical girl's attempt to hide.

2 more PCs to go can you finish off the beast

R-Group
2014-09-29, 11:11 PM
Speaker, same as he did back within the tunnels, open up his gauntlet-link back to the frigid void, scourging the vile Elemental with waves of vacuous energy.

Move Action - Fly 50 ft. such that only the massive Elemental is caught in the attack's range.

Standard Action - Activating Breath of Ice with Mortalbane; DC 23 Reflex Half, [roll0] + [roll1] Cold damage.

Zaydos
2014-09-29, 11:15 PM
The creature takes the full blunt of the attack but shrugs it off with little effect.

OoC: I'm going to assume you don't actually mean to use Mortalbane on something that you've confirmed is undead. Also I believe it is now badly wounded (I have trouble remembering the exact crossover point).

R-Group
2014-09-29, 11:19 PM
Yup. Chalk that up to a poorly edited copy/paste.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-02, 07:29 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Centipede 2x, 1 negative level.

Eat eldritch fire, abomination! the mage shouts as she throws another sphere of fire at the 'elemental'.

Casting a Fiery Burst at it then readying another benign transposition. Reflex save DC 22 for half damage.
[roll0]

Yas392
2014-10-02, 07:37 AM
OOC: Posting next action.

The onslaught of force daggers from Hawkie continues as she take advantage of the distraction.

Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Damage
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

Zaydos
2014-10-02, 09:23 AM
The fires crackle around the elemental and it shifts five feet over towards Hawkie striking at the knife wielder. The first blow is intercepted by a centipede, but as the centipedes are within its reach by this point the second blow strikes Hawkie in the head (18 damage, 1 negative level).

Then Hawkie steps away and... misses the creature five times.

OoC: The creature was, before the start of its turn, near death (10% or less hit points).

Might want to let the monster take its in case it changes anything (like 5-ft step out of its range, which can be assumed here)

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-08, 12:45 PM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, Centipede 1x, 1 negative level.

Die already! the blonde woman says as she recklessly gets closer to the elemental and launches another bolt of lightning at it. And just in case it isn't enough to end the fight, she follows it with a barrage of four darts of pure magic.

Get within 20 ft of the elemental. Cast Storm Bolt and magic missile at it.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Zaydos
2014-10-08, 12:50 PM
The necromental crumbles to dust as the lightning and force missiles strike it, falling from the ceiling in clumps of clay and powder.

Beelzebub1111
2014-10-08, 09:04 PM
Rae steps out from behind the rock "Okay...that was unpleasant. My bad. I think that thing sapped the life out of us. do you think we should head back to town for some healing?"

Yas392
2014-10-08, 09:42 PM
That's a good idea. Other than healing, we need to be revise our strategies. We need to be interactive and in synergy with each other the next time we open up a sudden encounter. Hawkie feels nauseated. She feels like a novice after the creature touched her.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-09, 07:30 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, 1 negative level.

As the final centipede discorporates with a loud pop, the young blonde almost falls down in supernaturally-induced exhaustion and quite a bit of pain. I'd say something about pressing on and clearing this den of evil in the name of the Light, but over the sound of the group having been beaten thoroughly, you wouldn't be able to hear me.

R-Group
2014-10-09, 12:59 PM
Landing heavily on the newly made rubble, Speaker bounces erratically across the mess for several moments, struggling to deactivate the fiery vents of his flight apparatus. Finally successful, he lopes back to his companions, once more drawing out the long tubing of the injector-device.

"Done, very quite well, that was. Have anyone, some injury?"

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-10, 11:24 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light, (Invisibility 4x), 1 negative level.

Most of us, I think. Let's go back to town - I hear they have free healing.
The young blonde thinks about for a few moments then gestures to the others to wait.
Before going back, I'd prefer to turn us invisible. Any arguments against?

Zaydos
2014-10-12, 10:16 PM
Invisible you all make it back to town with no further happenings. The town is quiet, the inn near empty.

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-15, 09:11 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light

That last attempt was dismal. Auriel says as she's sitting in the tavern along with the others, drinking. Milk, of course: she never understood the need to recreationally murder one's wits in a daily basis.
In the interest of not repeating our blunder, we should probably design some group tactics and the like... Or rather, we should first know what each of us has to offer in the group. She shakes her head. I didn't even know we had someone who could heal in the group.

R-Group
2014-10-18, 11:49 AM
"This old suit has a few tricks built on it. Can radiate nuclear energy to Irradiate someone over time. Not much damage, though. Open portal to void, freezes like hell, but again not much. Suit can break down doors or walls with sonic disruptors, and muddle with things' heads. Also, when the suits activated I don't need to eat, drink, or breath."

Speaker takes a long guzzle of watered-down ale before continued.

"Otherwise, I can tell if someone's about to die soon - within about half an hour. Also, ask questions to Space Chariot at center of pit. Can get some information that way, though it's only answers in weal or woe."

Yas392
2014-10-18, 02:49 PM
If you can get me close to a target without the enemy being aware, then I would be able catch them off their guard and weaken them the longer you prolong the battle. Hawkie downs her pitcher.

Beelzebub1111
2014-10-18, 05:13 PM
Soru hops on the table where a saucer of mead is waiting for him. he laps it up happily. Rae follows shortly in her seat with a water "Well, I'm a really good at being inspiring to allies, and I can also blind enemies that I'm close to when I transform." She takes a sip "If we ever fight an armed enemy I can probably shatter their weapon with sonic energy and I can punch with an electrical charge. I'm also super strong, I can punch through steel like it were plywood."

Belial_the_Leveler
2014-10-20, 07:42 AM
Conditions: Shield, Mage Armor, Resistance, Light

I'm a mage. Fire, lightning, unseen force, moving around creatures. the blonde woman says. You might have noticed that my spells tend to be less powerful than that of wizards or sorcerers. However, they also don't run out and I can cast faster than they can. She frowns. From what you've seen of what I can do, what approach would you prefer in combat? Defensive measures to keep you guys from harm? Blasting enemies directly? Or trying to disable the enemy so you could finish them? Beyond my personal spells, I can only keep a few spells active at a time. That's why you don't see me overwhelm all enemies with a small army of summoned creatures.