PDA

View Full Version : Player Help castle greyhawk blunder

Nessa Ellenesse
2014-09-07, 12:23 AM
My party and I are exploring castle greyhawk and we walked into this area that said turn back don't go this way in very large letters, but we disregarded it. The party is fine. Thanks to a few spells the party mage (my charater) and the party cleric had we survived combat against the minions of a queen who ordered her guards to cut off our charater's heads. We managed to get the second obsidian shard, but all of our stuff is gone. it just dissappeared into the either as we shrunk and it did not. Does anyone know how we can find our stuff?

On a side note my character managed to wipe out the opposition with two high level AOE's storm of fire and ice and cacophony burst. I got lucky I rolled high on the damage the DM rolled low on the saves.

Allanimal
2014-09-07, 02:17 AM
My party and I are exploring castle greyhawk and we walked into this area that said turn back don't go this way in very large letters, but we disregarded it. The party is fine. Thanks to a few spells the party mage (my charater) and the party cleric had we survived combat against the minions of a queen who ordered her guards to cut off our charater's heads. We managed to get the second obsidian shard, but all of our stuff is gone. it just dissappeared into the either as we shrunk and it did not. Does anyone know how we can find our stuff?

I have DMed this, so I know what the book says. I won't give it away, but will ask a couple questions that may help you think about the answer. For the record though, when I was running it, the PCs stuff did not disappear when they shrank, so your DM and I have different interpretations of what the book says (or there may be something else going on I don't know about...)

When the PCs shrank and their stuff didn't, what did they do? Did they just run around naked until they found the queen? If so, and they still defeated her and her minions, what do they need stuff for?
After finding the shard, what have the PCs done?

Thurbane
2014-09-07, 05:55 AM
I've played through this adventure before (loved it!), and I do like how this encounter was a nod back to the old 1E Dungeonland module. I also believe there was a nod to Isle of the Ape module in there somewhere, as well. Possibly others that I've now forgotten...

I'm with Allanimal - I don't want to give away spoilers....but...unless the DM is a real jerk, you're fairly likely to get your gear back (with some effort). :smallwink:

Nessa Ellenesse
2014-09-07, 08:59 AM
I've played through this adventure before (loved it!), and I do like how this encounter was a nod back to the old 1E Dungeonland module. I also believe there was a nod to Isle of the Ape module in there somewhere, as well. Possibly others that I've now forgotten...

I'm with Allanimal - I don't want to give away spoilers....but...unless the DM is a real jerk, you're fairly likely to get your gear back (with some effort). :smallwink:

The DM is my husband, but when it comes to DMing I'm not sure he misses or misreads a lot of what is in the books and is very suborn. I have had to correct him a lot of times on how my spells are supposed to work. For example I had to go get an offical FAQ from wizards of the coast print up before to get him to realize that Baccobs Blessed book let you copy spells for free and the 25 gp per page was a typo!

We went into this encounter with a near full compliment of spells. We got some make shift clothes. You see nearly every member of the party is soem form of a spell caster. and we are all level 14 other than the NPC paladin level 13

my charater wizard 5 warmage 1 ultimate magus 8
we also have a
rouge/temple raider
cleric 13/ wizard 1
ranger 11/ dark wood stalker 3

So we got some make shirt clothes. Our ranger cast aspect of the wolf, My charater has three fey heritages feats one that gives her DR3/ cold iron the other gives her disguide self ones perday so I made it look like I had clothes on. Then we got lucky I beat their innittive roll

round one. storm of fire and ice. 1 full round, this kept my companions from closing, but the damage it delt was worth it. Most of them failed their saves and I did pretty good on the damage.
cleric casts santuary,
I draw most of their fire, but between fey skin and temp hp from heart of earth I am not phased at all
The temple raider goes invisisable
The other two wait for them to close in melee

Round two with everyone waiting for the end of my turn to engage the enemy I lob another AOE caccophic burst rseveral failed reflex saves later the enemmies lay dead on the ground

As to why we need our stuff back I need my spell book back!

After finding the shard the PC's have not done anything, we had to call it a night. However before we lost our stuff My charater created 3 gem jump gems one for the other three PCs that was the day before and we put all our stuff in a force chest. When I brought this up to the DM he said that our stuff was not on the same plane of exixstance as us.

Allanimal
2014-09-07, 03:21 PM
It sounds like your party missed a clue on the way in to that area, or the DM is altering the story a bit.
If the former, then all I will say is don't worry, I think you will find your stuff OK.

If the latter, well, I can't really say what the DM's go up his sleeve.
I'm sure he will be fair and you'll find your stuff sooner rather than later.

Allan

ramrod
2014-09-07, 03:52 PM
Ha, been reading this. Getting to dungeonland will be the highlight of the campaign for my missus. I may well have to extend the encounter with it or give them a reason to return later!

Nessa Ellenesse
2014-09-07, 08:25 PM
What happened was our party did not want to leave our stuff behind. So we came up with some creative ways to try and take it with us. This annoyed the DM so he made it disappear. Fortunately I took the precaution of places everything in a either the rouge's bag of holding or the party's portable hole then carefully placing them in the force chest. with a Gem Jump Gem.It will be very difficult for anyone who finds the chest to get our stuff. They either need the command word or some very high level magic. Only three people know the command work my mage, my sister's rouge and the NPC wizard who is her former apprentice and now betrothed. Yes I had my elf wizard fall for her half elf apprentice. If my husband does not want to end up sleeping on the couch for the a week after the next game session we will find our stuff.

So because our party were acting like adventurer's and not wanting to leave their stuff behind nor the wizard willing to be parted from her spell book the DM decided to be a jerk and have everything vanish. If that were not bad enough he has joked about when we get back to town having some local bard come up with a song about how my wizard vanquished her foes wearing nothing but an illusion and a smile.

On the plus side having the exact spells for the situation prepared and being able to use them was such and awesome feeling. While she has had storm of fire and ice for about a week in game this is the first time she has memorized it. My mage being able to throw of AOE's with out worry about the rest of the party rushing in and getting hurt was almost enough for me to forgive the DM for being a jerk.

As for our stuff, sometimes being the wife of the DM has it's advantages.

Allanimal
2014-09-08, 12:02 PM
Ha, been reading this. Getting to dungeonland will be the highlight of the campaign for my missus. I may well have to extend the encounter with it or give them a reason to return later!

Yeah, I thought about extending it. It would have been fun! I was prepared if they wanted to keep wandering Dungeonland. But they wanted to get those shards...