PDA

View Full Version : DnD Thaumapunk?

ilovefire
2007-03-09, 05:48 PM
Now, I'll be the first person to admit that I like the Eberron campaign setting, which is most definately Thaumapunk... but I don't think it is quite 'punk' enough. Not for what I like in my Thaumapunk. I know Shadowrun has elements of Thaumapunk, but it's not Dungeons and Dragons. Basically, my idea is for a world that is much like our own (matter of fact, it is), except... magic is a recent thing. Think 'first industrial revolution'. Magic's recently been discovered, and it's making AMAZING wonders, advancing demihumanity by leaps and bounds! Or... scrap that, magic has been around for awhile, but recently in the history of the world, it's been able to be mass-produced. Now, magic draws ambient enviromental energy, unless it's Druidic Magic, which is special. Normally, it dosen't draw very much, leaving little permanent impact on the enviroment. But with the mass-production of magical items, and the constant casting of spells to do so, the enviroment is being damaged much faster. It takes less time in ThaumaEarth than in the real world to notice it, because the druids noticed nature's diminishing power almost immediantly. So, two factions have emerged among world politics: The Druidic Circles and their allies, wishing to completely stop the mass production of magic items. Failing that, at least a way to reduce its' impact on the enviroment, and the Council of Independant Businessmen, wishes to make lots of money first, make magic item creation safer to the factory worker (as the spells require much handling) second, and reduce the enviromental drain third.

Now, I'm not sure if this should go in homebrew or here, so I picked here because i'm not done yet: i just want ideas on where to continue from here. Mods, feel free to move this topic to where it should be.