PDA

View Full Version : A Grave Injustice...

cold1029
2014-09-07, 03:00 AM
Imagine in your mind a young man with pasty skin and an awful complexion, a double chin and awkward potbelly. His hair is blonde and curly, he looks sickly, and his eyes are pitch black. He has a scar on his cheek that only adds to his disturbing appearance. His parents neglect him, and every day is a struggle in a school where he is the absolute bottom of the totem pole.

TL; DR at the bottom

He's not me, and I regret to admit that I am guilty of making fun of this boy, let's name him drake. Along with everyone else in my high school, I thought of drake as an easy target for ridicule: a reminder that my life could always be worse.

So why am I writing? If you are familiar with the Saints and the Roughnecks, you are aware that perceptions in high school are likely to follow you throughout all of life. I am writing to address something that occurred, and I regret the way I handled it.

One day, in class, I sat listening to the ramblings of my eighth-grade history teacher. He is known for making up stories, one of the many reasons that this tenured teacher would not be signed to teach next year. The students are asking him questions unrelated to the class, and I stopped paying attention. Instead, I took interest in a conversation that took place near me.

Drake was an awkward boy, but he was hopeful. He had a crush on a girl, let's call her Allie. From a young age I associated her with Angelica from the rugrats, but she was in fact much worse. Her undeserved sense of superiority burst forth in every aspect of her personality, and she would not know the plight of the poor if it was tattooed on her abortionist's forehead. But Drake was also a bit... delusional.

She was talking to him, pretending to flirt. He had rscently decided that he was sick of dealing with one of his many bullies, and had channeled his best 80's protagonist, and challenged his bully to a fight after class. Allie was pretending to be impressed while he discussed it. She asked a few questions.

"So you're going to fight him. Do you think you'll win?" She asked, twirling her hair.

"Yeah." He said, feigning confidence.

"What if he brings a bunch of friends, you'll need to protect yourself."

"Yeah? Well, maybe I'll bring a knife." He concluded.

"What if they all have knives? What would you do then?"

"Well, maybe I could bring a gun." He said. Suddenly, another girl, a friend of Allie's takes her que.

Emma, as I'll call her, shouted loudly, "did you just say you are going to bring a gun to school?"

The room was immediately overtaken with shouting and accusations. The teacher quickly took Drake to the principal's office, and it became a universal truth by lunch that Drake had threatened to shoot up our school. Only I was paying enough attention to know that this wasn't the case.

I said little, because I knew that my own place in the social hierarchy was only barely above his, and I had seen what happens to them. Drake was expelled for a month, and everyone in the school knew what he had "done." His parents didn't care enough about him to make a fuss, and the faculty knew it. I know now that they had nowhere near a case, only hearsay and conjecture. Even what he did say was textbook entrapment.

So I did what any child does, I tried to forget about it. When we got to high school, every teacher already hated Drake: nothing inspires resentment like threatening to kill your loved ones. He was hidden away in the learning-disability classes because none of the teachers cut him any slack or cared to help him.

He was eventually expelled and sent to a nearby school for "problem children." It was much more of a prison than a school. I havent heard from him, I don't know what became of him, but it can't be anything good.

That boy's life was ruined by a manipulative girl and a handful of educators that wanted only to be rid of him.

I guess I'm writing to get this off of my chest, but I would also like to ask for thoughts and advice.

Thank you for reading,
Sincerely,
Cold1029

TL; DR
A poor kid from my school got totally screwed over by the faculty, and now his life sucks.

Crow
2014-09-12, 11:26 PM
So in the time since you posted this, have you stuck up for this kid and tried to contact someone who was in charge back then to explain what really happened? Just because it has been a long time doesn't mean that you can't try to at least set some small part of this right.

bluewind95
2014-09-13, 02:11 AM
I know what it's like to be the main target of bullies.

You know what hurt me the most? It wasn't the bullies. It was the bystanders. The bullies taught me a few people could hate me. The bystanders taught me that no one cared.

cold1029
2014-09-13, 04:07 AM

You know what hurt me the most? It wasn't the bullies. It was the bystanders. The bullies taught me a few people could hate me. The bystanders taught me that no one cared.

I had a very similar experience, and that is why I never said anything in school, I knew that no one would believe me for starters. I was in pretty much the same boat as Drake was, all things considered.

My main reason for not doing anything yet is basically that I don't really know who to contact. I didn't know Drake that well, and I don't know his family. The principal of the school retired a few years ago, and I wouldn't know how to contact her.

The other concern is that I was bullied just like Drake, and the staff didn't really care about me in the same way that they didn't care about Drake. Bullied children pose a unique challenge to incompetent bureaucratic administrators in that they require them to get up and actually do some work. It's much easier to just dismiss bullying.

I say the above because, having been bullied, I had a tendency to stand up for myself, which to a degree made things much worse. Unfortunately, the majority of the bullies I dealt with had family ties to administration staff, and therefore the people I would turn to for help actually disliked me for daring to call their children bullies. I remember being struck by a student who's father was on the school board. I spent two days in In School Suspension being treated like a criminal because I dared to stand up to the kid that kept calling me "****** (rhymes with 'maggot')." I pushed him, he punched me in the face, and his uncle (who also worked there) broke up the "fight," and the offending kid did not receive any punishment.

I'm not really trying to make excuses, I am just trying to explain that, as far as these people are concerned, I'm not a credible witness. Most of the people I would go to about this actively dislike me, and would disregard anything I said. That is why I have spent the last few years of my life trying to distance myself from anyone I knew at that school. I wrestled with myself over whether or not I intended to do anything about this situation, and I am still trying to figure it out.

Aliquid
2014-09-13, 12:20 PM

Normally I hate to invoke Godwin's Law... but, this is definitely related to Nazi Germany.

Horrible, horrible things were happening, and bystanders did nothing. There is plenty of evidence that many bystanders were highly disturbed and upset by what was going on, but most did nothing.

After WWII, there were various psychological studies to see why people stand by and do nothing when witnessing things of this nature (and what can we do to stop it from happening again). One conclusion is that it takes a hero to stand up and say "this is wrong", and that we are all capable of rising to that level.

If you want to know more, there is a good TED talk about this by Philip Zimbardo, called "The psychology of Evil"

-----
EDIT

I just remembered the TED talk can be graphic and disturbing at points... so I suggest caution with deciding to watch it or not

lio45
2014-09-13, 01:06 PM
IMO the only way you can hope to do something useful about this is to track down (and find) Drake, whose full name I assume you know, and who lives (or at least lived) in your area, or nearby enough, since he attended the same school as you.

You could then try to befriend him, using this story if needed.

I don't see what else you could possibly do that'd do him any good. You can't change the past.

SiuiS
2014-09-13, 01:23 PM
I hope you don't forget and carry this albatross around your neck, because it will make you stronger.

You say "I don't know what happened to drake", but you can fix that. If you need absolution, or just closure, find him. Talk to him. Start a campaign, maybe – make it a college extracurricular to have his record cleared, his name polished, and the truth brought up. But never, never feel resigned because "it's in the past". You can always change things moving forward.

Crow
2014-09-13, 03:05 PM
I think a good place to start would be to find him. Don't try to befriend him. Just tell him your part of the story and that you are sincerely sorry that you didn't stand up back then. Ask if there is any thing that you can do to make amends. He may take it good or bad, but at least you have gotten it off of your chest to the person that matters.