PDA

View Full Version : Your character's motto

Ettina
2014-09-07, 06:17 PM
OK, in the alignment rewards, Red Fel said this:

Consider, instead, having your players write down between one and three guiding principles, concepts, or mottoes. (Yes, even Chaotic characters may have principles.)

And it inspired me to make this thread. So, in this thread, post your character's motto or guiding principle - their primary reason to do what they do.

Some of mine:

Armilla (my first D&D character, a CN human rogue) - "Please, be my family? I never had one."

Snowball (a CE or CN tibbit necromancer) - "If you mess with me or my family, you will suffer."

Szsthrar'kek (a CE illithid telepath) - "I screwed up and betrayed the Elder Brain. So what? I'll just make my own place, and now I'll be in charge."

Red Fel
2014-09-07, 06:33 PM
Interestingly, and I mention this in the thread you're quoting (hey, that's me in that quote!), the Ironclaw system actually uses a Motto system rather than an Alignment system, giving you a bonus when you act in accordance with your motto, and penalizing you when you act against it.

I wrote a character for Ironclaw, the son of a now-impoverished noble family; all he has left is his ancestral lands, his title, and barely enough money to cover repairs to the family home. He acts as a sword-for-hire, greedy and self-serving, because he is all that's left of his family's legacy. His motto is very simple: "Me first."

I had originally planned this motto to become a twist for him, actually. Throughout the campaign, he would remark, when given the chance to be self-serving, "Me first," indicating that he was about to do something greedy, or cowardly, or otherwise putting himself ahead of everything else. But (had the campaign reached this point, which sadly it never did), towards the climax, at some moment of mortal peril - such as charging headlong into certain death in battle - when everyone would have expected him to cower away, he would simply shake his head, smile sadly, and say, "Me first." And then he would lead the charge.

Mottos are great like that, if you're clever with the wording. :smallamused:

mikeejimbo
2014-09-07, 06:39 PM
Meadow (an eight-year-old minor noble and planehopper): "I'm eight!" (I use this anytime someone questions quite how optimal his choices are. He once led his group - including his twin brother - to the Plane of Candy, where everything was made of candy.)

Harold Zane (An insane surgeon/genetic engineer): "Hey! I'm not amoral, I'm immoral!" (Said in response to another group member saying "We're all amoral here". Works pretty well as a general guideline for his personality.)

Averis Vol
2014-09-07, 06:40 PM
Caleb Hawthorne, C/N Deep Imaskari Wizard: "Its the principle of the matter."

Seriously, I can't even count how many times I had to say that in the 4 month span of time that I played him.

Jay R
2014-09-07, 07:40 PM
In a Champions game, I was playing a mystic hero named Dr. MacAbre. Whenever anybody asked him if he, or his spells, or anything else, was magic, he replied, "To say 'magic' instead of 'I don't know' proves nothing."

I had a 2E elven mage/thief, who was traveling with a paladin. In more than one argument with her, he said, "That's because you're a paladin, sworn to do what's good and lawful. I'm just a thief, free to do what's right."

rahimka
2014-09-08, 01:32 PM
Hiko, C/N Ifrit Ninja has three he's borrowed from different sources: 1) "A big enough fire can solve any problem" -OotS, 2) "Pillage THEN burn" -Schlock Mercenary, 3) "I say we nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure..." -Aliens.

Most recently, the L/N guardian of this ancient monastery we're exploring straight up MURDERED our only truly Lawful party member while "testing" our group's worthiness in combat. Suddenly the rest of the grieving party was on board with Hiko's plan to implement (2) and then (3)

Jay R
2014-09-08, 02:05 PM
Let's not forget the classics:

"You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others."

"I'm a g*dd*mn baby-making, life-taking MACHINE! Why should I care how many people I have to kill? I can just make MORE in my TUMMY!" (why can't we quote the Order of the Stick comic on this forum?)

"I am a sexy shoeless god of war!"

"Sacrificing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

"As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero."
Edit: "And that would be wrong."

DontEatRawHagis
2014-09-08, 02:28 PM
Would you like a candy bar?
*laced with Flesh eating Bacteria*

Lord Raziere
2014-09-08, 02:33 PM
"The universe hates me, I can tell because I can see the future."- Meffelkrow, CG elf oracle

"I will protect my sister. Even if I have to fight the gods to do so."-Kalectro Stelvana, CG human Storm Brawler

"If it ain't worth a boom, it ain't worth a billion."- Mantakax Boomabillion, CN/CG goblin pyromancer/artificer
or:
"I'll save the world because I know its right. I'll also try to make the big bucks, because I'm a selfish bastard like that."

"Who said creating life was evil or mad science? I'm proving them wrong."- Connic Dannelston, NG human alchemist

"Life is too important to waste on waiting. Carpe Diem!"- Max Celeritas, Human Prince of Time

"It costs me my identity, my internal unity, maybe someday even my humanity, but I will be a superhero and do what is right."-Multimask

"I was once kidnapped, now I will make sure no one is ever kidnapped again."- Crimson Cougar

"They created me to protect them. I will do so, but I won't be obeying their unnecessary codes."-EGOH-01

"I once tried to take over the world. That was a mistake."- Lord Platinum.

Kid Jake
2014-09-08, 02:58 PM
"I don't fight because I expect to win, that's ****ing ridiculous. They're too powerful and too numerous, we don't stand a chance. No, I fight just to remind them that they can die screaming too." Alias: Mad Hatter, fugitive monster slayer conspiracy theorist and serial killer.

Gracht Grabmaw
2014-09-08, 03:34 PM
I am not a warrior, I am a healer. Death is not an enemy that can be fought, it is a desease. And I am very close to curing it.
- Voldur Farras, gravewalker and aspiring necromancer.

Hyena
2014-09-08, 03:55 PM
Okay, my characters usually have ideals (or, at least, goals), so I'll list a few.

The Crow, a mafia soldier turned hero: "I can't redeem myself, but it doesn't mean I'll stop trying. As long as there are wrongs to right, I'll do the best I can."
Kessler, a sith and space ass$%e: "You can choose to control reality or fiction. Money and power are fiction, they do not exist outside of artificial social constructs. Life and death are real."
Deron, a tiefling crusader in Forgotten Realms setting: "They call themselves good gods. They also blackmail the entire humanity with a threat of eternal torment. Am I the only one here, who sees a slight contradiction?"

Dienekes
2014-09-08, 04:25 PM
Some of my favorites.

Arnold Roth: telepathic villain who blackmailed his way to control a city while playing the heroes and villains against each other.
"Remember gentlemen, knowledge is power and I know everything about you."

Sir Squeeb: Goblin who was saved by a paladin and decided to become a knight. Despite having a negative strength and constitution (and wisdom) score and not entirely knowing what a knight is.
"Be just and honorabible in everything. And be good to friends and protectful and then everyone will be happy!"

Wat: Orphan who lived his entire life in a soldiers garrison, avoiding anything that remotely felt like work.
"We're going to fight to the last man!"
"Probably me." *sigh*

comicshorse
2014-09-08, 04:50 PM
Carlos Quinterra (Lasombra crime lord) : 'If you're part of my family you mean the world to me. If you're not, you mean nothing. "

Caernos (Beastkin runnerswift) : 'He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day'

Constantine Domaracki (Tszimisce noble) : ' oderint dum metuant' (Let them hate so long as they fear)

Lord Torath
2014-09-08, 08:06 PM
"I wonder what behind that door?" Railee - CG Halfling Thief

SixWingedAsura
2014-09-08, 09:40 PM
"Nothing's Illegal Until You Get Caught."

The creedo of almost every Shadowrunner, really.

Cloud
2014-09-08, 10:23 PM
"Do I need an excuse to help someone?" Originally from Zidane from FFIX, but I find I end up using it whenever I play a CG thief type when people wonder why someone that steals is helping people in need for free.

Kymme
2014-09-08, 10:46 PM
"I did what I had to do." - Escher, legendary Bellator, self-proclaimed godslayer, and mass-murdering psychopath.

Seriously, this guy was in a team with a homicidal cannibalistic rage beast, a vampire maiden, and a living stormcloud in the shape of a man, and he was the least human of the bunch.

Esprit15
2014-09-08, 11:07 PM
Any and every Psychic I have ever played: "Do not make me angry."

Cain Treblinka (a verified psychopath): "If anyone slaps you on your right cheek, don't turn the other cheek. Break his ****ing jaw! Make a point that any attack on you will be returned tenfold! Set an example of him that will ensure nobody ever lays a finger on your cheek again!"

Jehoash Kelvin (a peaceful hermit brought out of seclusion by violent cultists intruding on his land): "Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons." ~ Desiderata

Zachariah Frerin (traveling pyromaniac): "If it isn't on fire and partially exploding, it will be when I'm done."

Artemis Frerin (Team Rocket recruit): "You can beat me, you can torture me, but my friends are my family, and I will slaughter anyone who lays a hand on them."

Bryan Hume (philosopher and spec ops): "I don't support the government because they are right. I support them because I fear what those who claim they could do better would do. Idealists ruin everything good."

Chen Fei-Lai (monk and teacher): "If you fight with honor, I shall spare you, should you ask it. If you fight as a coward, the last among you will be used as a poking stick for bear traps."

One Step Two
2014-09-08, 11:16 PM
"Do you have any idea how much trouble I can get you into?" Hiraku, Eclipse Caste Solar, a phrase he used on friends and foes alike to get his way.

"Causing death to save life? I do not call that good, I call that Balance." Al'Kaelis, TN Elf Sohei, his response to being called a Hero.

"I was the first fallen of the First War, and now I will be the first arrow loosed in this final one." Isha, Dawn Caste Solar, when asked why she refuses to flee.

"Too much compassion for the Black, and too much ambition for the White. It's my desire to save lives that drove me to Lunitari's embrace." Amallien, TN Irda Red Robe Wizard, Dragonlance, after his trial to enter the Towers of High Sorcery.

"I hate what was done to me, and I hate that I let it happen. Hate is all I have left, and I will share it as I please." Angela Valdez, Lasombra, victim turned vengeful angel.

Cloud
2014-09-08, 11:52 PM
"You know, I never asked for this curse, but; I’ll use this power for kindness. * this destiny!" For a character that through no fault of his own come into a lot of demonic power, and was expected by all to end up evil/corrupted by it.

Dammann
2014-09-09, 02:01 AM
Jean Parma, a GURPS character built as a Rogue~Magic User:
"Can I have that in writing?"
His parents were retired adventurers, he was raised and educated by the old party members, and they taught him to smile, do his share, and trust no one.

SiuiS
2014-09-09, 02:16 AM
SiuiS, wizard, paladin, explorer, exemplar.

"Like hell I can't."
"Magic is a tool, not an end, and not even the best one. Even wizards must remember the feel of a callous or dirt beneath their nails, it's good for the soul."
"No more badinage. The bottom line; **** with me, **** no more."

Sartharina
2014-09-09, 02:33 AM
I've stolen Dark Pegasus/Aliph Soulstealer's "I shirt for no one!" for myself.

Theriss, paladin of the order of Your Manly Champions of Altruism, who I hope to play again, had "The souls of those who take their own life will not find the rest they seek," at his most glum, and otherwise a mash up of the refrains to "YMCA", "Don't You Worry Child", "Ooh Child", "Carry On", and "Some Nights"... among others.

I had a 2E elven mage/thief, who was traveling with a paladin. In more than one argument with her, he said, "That's because you're a paladin, sworn to do what's good and lawful. I'm just a thief, free to do what's right."I know I've seen this quote before somewhere...

Jay R
2014-09-09, 11:11 AM
I know I've seen this quote before somewhere...

Probably. This isn't the only thread I've posted it to, because this isn't the only thread where it was relevant.

gom jabbarwocky
2014-09-09, 11:19 AM
"I've got nothing to live for. May as well die for something." - The late Phil, beatnik vampire hunter.

DigoDragon
2014-09-09, 02:41 PM
"It could be good, it could be liches. Let's never make it a choice." -Derrick, dwarf cleric

"Trixie does what's right because the easy way is boring. Trixie demands to make an entrance!" -Trixie, unicorn sorceress

CoffeeIncluded
2014-09-11, 06:12 PM
"I'm not letting anything happen to you, and I'm not leaving you behind!" --Natalia Bolts, CG Rogue (and other stuff) with a bit of a saving people complex, which only got worse after two party members died protecting her. And of course recently she hasn't been able to help everyone and it's starting to get to her.

The Random NPC
2014-09-12, 03:04 AM
"It wasn't me!" and "I didn't do it!". Sometimes "You can't prove I did it!".

Character in a Naruto based Fate game, he's is essentially Rock Lee, and has never actually done anything to get in trouble over.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-12, 04:25 AM
"I was raised by elves. I know elves. Elves are friends of mine. You are no elf."
-Elidiel, changeling Wizard anthropologist, to nearly every elf she's ever met.

(Horribly offended) "I didn't lie to you. I told you things that were untrue in order to avoid biasing your behavior toward me. There is a significant difference."
-also Elidiel (Part of her research involves taking on other forms and insinuating herself into communities, which she considers to be entirely unrelated to the cons changelings usually use their abilities for.)

"Why did it have to be undead?"
-Rook, kenku Beguiler

"All that's shiny is not gold. Sometimes it's apples, and that's nearly as good."
-Rook again

"I swear, you give one heir apparent an extra arm and an eye on his fingertip and suddenly the entire house turns on you. They were darling on him. If the Old Ones weren't still trying to conquer you Luddites I'd return to Xoriat right now and your entire scientomagical engineering tradition would stagnate."
-<The sensation of dancing to "three blind mice" played backwards with a stubbed toe while sniffing acetone and peonies>, spellweaver Artificer/Factotum (His species is telepathic and can't talk, so his name is a sensation rather than a sound.)

"My name is Atalanteia. You cut down my forest. Prepare to die."
-Atalanteia, dryad ecoterrorist Cleric (Deity: Herself. It makes sense in context.)

"Suffering is good for the soul, and I will save theirs from perdition even though it cost me my own."
-a heretical Cleric of Ilmater whose name I can't remember

PrincessCupcake
2014-09-12, 07:12 AM
"Sweetie, we can do this one of two ways. The one where I smile at you and everyone walks away happy, or the one where you end up in the hospital. Your choice." -Laney Strider, aka Fetch. (Elven Street Samurai)

"You know all the monsters you tell little children about to scare them? I'm one of those monsters." -Truxton Galehart, LN Drow Fighter. He has a penchant for trying to be more standoffish and terrifying than he truly is.

"Hey, gorgeous. You busy?" -Ser Jonathan Greymoor, LG Paladin of Corellon Larathian. (Will probably post his shenanigans as a funny D&D story.)

"I am too old for this nonsense. Hold still you big baby." -Blackberry, NG Halfling Druid barely out of her teens. (Should probably post those shenanigans too.)

DigoDragon
2014-09-12, 12:20 PM
"I'm only here to break doors, break necks, and eat food. In that order." -Moroni, purple dragon.

Tiktik Ironclaw
2014-09-13, 06:59 AM
These are all theoretical character concepts that I'd like to play one day, which is why most don't have names.

-Tiktik Ironclaw, LG ex-guerrilla kobold ranger: "The only good gnomes I ever met were the ones whose blood was on my axes."

-NE eunuch drow wizard: "I can be anywhere and everywhere, I can be anyone and everything, and, I assure you, the loss of my male organs has not lessened my taste for blood, so would you like to take your chances with me?"

-LN hobgoblin fighter: "Rigid order has got me this far."

-CN gnoll barbarian: (growling) "Meat."

-Gruuta, CN goblin rogue: "I'm Gruuta, son of Grita, and I'm in it for the loot!" :smallbiggrin:

Erik Vale
2014-09-14, 10:20 PM
I've only ever played one long term character but a Alex's main ones:
"Well I'm sure as hell not going to die of boredom."

"Please, I'm hardly the most powerful of the group. I just happen to be able to bring 60 odd other guys with me at speeds normally reserved for dragon flight. Speaking of which, HEY! LADS! A HAND!"

This is for a champions game. At present, he's an all rounder and overall outclassed at just about anything except using the wands we pick up... But, he can transport 64tons at about 60KpH [Metric], in a medieval campaign where the crossbow is one of the more recent bigger things. He also doesn't age and has been adventuring for about 20 years.

Kol Korran
2014-09-15, 04:24 AM
In one of our games a guy played a murderous halfling rogue (Very much like Belkar in personality, but smarter). When we first met him we asked what he could do. He replied "I am but an honest business man..." With a spiked chain around his waste, which he claimed to be "for show". He kept repeating this introduction to everyone he met, usually just before dealing with some mischief/ theft/ rumor mongering/ burglary/ outright bloody murder!

It became a group joke. Whenever someone tries to hide his extremely violent/ criminal nature, they introduce themselves as "but an honest business man"...

It's the player's calling card. Repeated in two other characters since. Almost been made into an aspect in a Fate core game. :smallbiggrin:

Maryring
2014-09-15, 08:16 AM
Huh. This looks fun. Not all of my characters have a motto, but some do.

"A cursory glance at history will show you that there has always been wars, and always been suffering and injustices as we fight against the dangerous "Others". But our entire history is also a sign of progress as we continue to redefine who is an "Other". In the end, we will reach the point where all who think will no longer be defined as an enemy, but as brethren."

Maria. Judge and Priestess of the Goddess of Life and Death.

"Mercy and Forgiveness are signs of exceptional strength and courage. You can only be merciful if you are already in a position of strength. And you can't give of yourself until you have something left over to give. Doing Good is the privilege and duty of the strong and powerful."

Joan de Meer. Noblewoman and adept of the Order of Vitae.

"Forget what your mother and teachers tell you. Forget what the stories tell you. There's no such thing as friendship. No such thing as love. The world is filled with selfish bastards, with a minor handful of decent people that keep the world from collapsing entirely. Know this, embrace this, and then say "**** it. I'm gonna save the world anyway, even though it doesn't deserve to be saved."

Ermine. Civil rights activist, hermit, inventor.

2014-09-15, 08:32 AM
I haven't played him yet, but he isn't exactly going to be able to change his opinion.

"If you have any questions about my race's morality, would like to know more about our previous employments, or would like to hire the Maug war machine for yourself, please contact my superiors."
-A Maug warrior/walking infomercial

TheCountAlucard
2014-09-15, 10:05 AM
"Like hell I can't."Very similar to a response I had, playing my dwarf hacker in Shadowrun. :smallamused:

calam
2014-09-17, 12:29 AM
"Help them anyway" Eralim Astra (LG) to himself when he helps someone who deserves worse

"I didn't go to any fancy college but..." Tommy Carter whenever he uses his Common Sense on other characters

"The only way I can be safe is to make everyone underneath me" Victor LE alchemist

Alent
2014-09-17, 01:15 AM
This is a good idea, I need to both do this with more characters and encourage my group to do the same when we resume play.

The only one I really had a motto for was a Halfling Rogue who's was always asking "Hey, Yousa gonna eat 'dat?"

On occasion this would be uttered at the most inopportune time imaginable, just because.

Come to think of it, that rogue really did follow Sergeant Schlock's moral compass.

paperarmor
2014-09-17, 01:35 AM
A blaster sorcerer: "Will it explode? let's find out."

An Iajutsu factotum/warblade advertising the artificer's weapon shop ending every sentence with "...and it makes julienne fries."

Leon
2014-09-17, 06:59 AM
People are Trouble.

Mono Vertigo
2014-09-19, 07:02 AM
"Who am I to decide who deserves to die? What am I going to tell my daughter if I come back with bloodstained hands, that her mother killed people?"
- Kamala Sutton/Red Lotus, technical pacifist in a M&M3e game, who seeks to rejoin her family on Earth after being kidnapped by aliens.

"What happens in Xurrondia stays in Xurrondia. That's the name of this wretched planet, right? Well, you sure as hell are not getting a chance to follow me and tell me if I'm getting it wrong."
- Same character, who's imminently going to become a lot darker and more pragmatic after the violent deaths of another PC and an NPC that welcomed the party into her city.

"Your soul is disgusting. And so is everyone else's, but you're the one closest to me I was authorized to kill."
- Sidney Toro/Jettatura, insane villainous PC in another M&M3e game, whose Evil Eye curse makes everybody look horrifying.

"Stupid melodramatic bloodsuckers."
- Same character after a first mission involving vampires. After each mission, replace "bloodsucker" by a noun describing better this session's main antagonist.

"My nickname's Crash because of what happens when my fist meets my opponent's face."
- Ashton "Crash" Stormbreak, Ogre Summer Courtist (C:tL). Rarely explains that before one finds out he also plays taxi for the Freehold.

"People I love, whether I'm aware of it or not, leaving me. That's what the rest of my life will be like."
- Lenora Hepaunton, Persona user. Has issues, but who in a Shin Megami Tensei game doesn't?

Wraith
2014-09-19, 07:43 AM
I hadn't much thought about it until now, but it turns out that most of my LARP characters seem to run on at least one motto.

"Get in. Get out. Profit."
~ Soltaire, Catman Thief/Resident Guild owner

"I can honestly say that I have never killed anyone in a Ritual Circle."
~ Solomon Iryssia, Snakekin Ritualist. (Abberations and gimping other peoples' characters with single-digit dismiss ranks - which in context means that the recipient can effectively be killed outright by even a novice level spellcaster - don't count!)

"In all things; I serve."
~ Solomon Iryssia, Snakekin Ritualist. (Please note that he serves in the system's notoriously Chaotic Neutral Faction and worships the vaguely-Evil Goddess of Power and Domination. Good times!)

As for RPG characters....

"This is gonna be fun!"
~ Solitaire, Wraith Raider Deathsquad Operative (SLA Industries). Usually said before unleashing his minigun like the balcony scene in Dredd (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtbejMoJcp0) (NSFW - Very violent).