PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Shadow Inquisitor- Build Help Wanted

Nerdynick
2014-09-07, 07:10 PM
Hello Playgrounders,

For once I find myself in the position of player rather than DM, and I seek to celebrate this opportunity with a flavorful character. Where I am stumped is on the build. While a student of optimization, I am not terribly familiar with the Inquisitor and don't really know how to play it, especially with the selection of archetypes I'd like.

So for the concept: A young, skillful, and enterprising Inquisitor of your typical sun-god-christianity-stand-in (read: Pelor) is sent to infiltrate a secretive cult of his religion that is suspected of harboring heretical priests. After getting in, he is swayed and converted by their arguments, which center around two beliefs: firstly, they anticipate the coming of their messiah (which the young Inquisitor is now seeking (personality inspired by Morpheus from the Matrix)) and secondly, they have this belief that shadows are subservient to the light of their god (this idea was inspired by my meager understanding of the Red Priests from the Song of Ice and Fire). So after he sanctions their practices in his reports to the church, he is excommunicated and now a fugitive, etc.

So for the build: Starting at level 3, Paizo material only, 20 point-buy. Inquisitor is obviously the base class, but I want to take the Heretic archetype and was considering the Sanctified Slayer archetype from the new ACG. Darkness (Night) domain seemed to fit both the concept and mechanics. Shadowdancer levels are preferred.

My problem here is that the character doesn't seem to play towards any particular playstyle, and I don't know what fighting style would be most optimal; I've read about archer Inquisitors and two-handed-weapon Inquisitors and all that, but I feel like I'm spreading myself pretty thin. So I turn to the playground for assistance in cutting the fat from the build so that its something viable while preserving the original concept (Stealthy, skilled church-type with shadow powers). Below I summarize the build constraints, though I welcome alternative ideas that fulfill the concept (someone suggested paladin/shadowdancer to me, for example):

Starting with 3 levels of Inquisitor (Heretic Archetype)
Race: Human or Aasimar
20 Point-buy
Some mechanic to show connection to shadows
Paizo material only

My regards,

Nerdynick