PDA

View Full Version : Attacking while riding

Asteron
2014-09-07, 09:59 PM
If you are mounted, do you get a full attack?

My group says yes, but that doesn't sound right to me. Citations?

VoxRationis
2014-09-07, 10:03 PM
If I am not mistaken, you get a melee full attack if your mount doesn't move too far. You get a ranged full attack regardless of how fast you're riding, but at hefty attack penalties, for obvious reasons.

Curbstomp
2014-09-08, 12:14 AM
You use a move action to ride, though it is possible to avoid needing to use the move action with various means including skills, items, feats, and class features. You could also get a full attack via feat or items, but baseline you need to burn a move action to ride.

Edit: This is what I was thinking of from SRD:
"Warhorses and war ponies can serve readily as combat steeds. Light horses, ponies, and heavy horses, however, are frightened by combat. If you don’t dismount, you must make a DC 20 Ride check each round as a move action to control such a horse. If you succeed, you can perform a standard action after the move action. If you fail, the move action becomes a full round action and you can’t do anything else until your next turn. "

Gwendol
2014-09-08, 03:41 AM
If you are mounted, do you get a full attack?

My group says yes, but that doesn't sound right to me. Citations?

It depends. You can full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount moves, and you can cast spells with longer casting time than a standard action. However, you can't full attack with a melee weapon. There are a few PrC's with abilities that allow for full attacks on a single move (not double).

Troacctid
2014-09-08, 03:46 AM
Here's the citation, emphasis added:

If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can’t make a full attack.

If your mount charges, you also take the AC penalty associated with a charge. If you make an attack at the end of the charge, you receive the bonus gained from the charge. When charging on horseback, you deal double damage with a lance.

You can use ranged weapons while your mount is taking a double move, but at a -4 penalty on the attack roll. You can use ranged weapons while your mount is running (quadruple speed), at a -8 penalty. In either case, you make the attack roll when your mount has completed half its movement. You can make a full attack with a ranged weapon while your mount is moving. Likewise, you can take move actions normally.

Edit: Also, re: Curbstomp, yeah, you don't use your move action to ride unless the mount is unruly (in which case you need the DC 20 Ride check as a move action to control it). The mount moves on its action. You still have your own separate move action--the "Spur Mount" option would be quite pointless otherwise.