PDA

View Full Version : E6 The World of Limitations

Ruethgar
2014-09-07, 11:10 PM
I'm going into a game that will have a very limited list of base classes, but open on the PrC's to whatever I can reach. The base classes available are Barbarian, Crusader, Ranger, Rogue, Scout, Swordsage, Elemental Adept, and Warblade.

The Elemental Adept and Mystic Ranger were meant to cover the bases of casters with the additional option of a version of the Arcane Swordsage where you can choose a single domain to take your maneuvers from(with the granted power). But I want more! I found Knight of the Weave which I can qualify for at 1st level, but are there any other PrC's that I could sneak into for a more expansive arcane list? Or would the Mystic Wildshape Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order just always be better?

Edit: Of course I could always go Ranger/Knight of the Weave/Test-Based Mystic Theurge and get spells from both.

With a box
2014-09-08, 12:57 AM
I'm going into a game that will have a very limited list of base classes, but open on the PrC's to whatever I can reach. The base classes available are Barbarian, Crusader, Ranger, Rogue, Scout, Swordsage, Elemental Adept, and Warblade.

The Elemental Adept and Mystic Ranger were meant to cover the bases of casters with the additional option of a version of the Arcane Swordsage where you can choose a single domain to take your maneuvers from(with the granted power). But I want more! I found Knight of the Weave which I can qualify for at 1st level, but are there any other PrC's that I could sneak into for a more expansive arcane list? Or would the Mystic Wildshape Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order just always be better?

Edit: Of course I could always go Ranger/Knight of the Weave/Test-Based Mystic Theurge and get spells from both.
whell I think book will thrown to you if you do it, but how about Ur-priest?
Oh . E6 .. ignore this

Gemini476
2014-09-08, 01:32 AM
...You have a Mystic Ranger available? In an E6 game? That's neat, and probably one of the best options you can take even without the feat. Third level spells and +6/+1 BAB is pretty good, even if you're limited to Mystic Ranger spells.

Before you rush off to grab Sword of the Arcane Order, do consider if your DM is likely to allow setting-specific material from a Forgotten Realms book. Because being sworn to Mystra's Order of the Shooting Star is a pretty setting-specific concept.

PsyBomb
2014-09-08, 06:48 AM
Mystic Wildshape Ranger is likely to be your best option, though I personally love Crusaders and Warblades to bits. The Crusader can actually cover in-combat healing, though major status recovery is beyond him at this point.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-08, 07:10 AM
Seconding/thirding/whatever the Mystic Ranger with the Wildshape ACF. It's a great class.

Ruethgar
2014-09-08, 08:39 AM
So I could get 3th level spells with both Ur Priest and KotW. And the DM allows all PrC's and feats no matter the setting as long as it is WotC(including second party) or the aforementioned homebrew. However I could also get third level spells(just barely) from Chameleon, would have to be a Silverbrow to pick up disguise though.

Edit: Also the setting is limited to human only after I chaos shuffled an Elven Generalist Wizard last game.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-08, 09:35 AM
Since KotW requires BAB +5 or 3rd-level spontaneous arcane casting, there's no way to meet its prerequisites before level 5. How are you fitting it into an E6 game?

Ruethgar
2014-09-08, 01:15 PM
Flaw:Magical Training, Flaw:Precocious Apprentice, First:Heighten Spell, Human:Sanctum Spell.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-08, 01:21 PM
Flaw:Magical Training, Flaw:Precocious Apprentice, First:Heighten Spell, Human:Sanctum Spell.

That's... Christ. Wow, that's good. Hah. KotW entry at 2nd level, I love it.

heavyfuel
2014-09-08, 05:00 PM
Just an FYI about Wildshape Mystic Ranger, this combo is ilegal by RAW and might be banned by the DM, despite the fact that I'm apparently the only person in this forum that would ban it. It also doesn't work with SotAO.

The reason behind this is these apply to the base class "Ranger", not the Ranger variant named "Mystic Ranger". People always say that it's a really good combo, despite it not working.

If your DM does bar this (i wouldn't be surprised. He's barred Druids and Wizards, no reason he'll allow you an arguably better version), I'd still go with Mystic Ranger. Just 6 levels straight makes for an awesome class in e6, especially if you can get 16 Wis for bonus spells. Getting to KotW 5 is also really good

Gemini476
2014-09-08, 08:39 PM
Just an FYI about Wildshape Mystic Ranger, this combo is ilegal by RAW and might be banned by the DM, despite the fact that I'm apparently the only person in this forum that would ban it. It also doesn't work with SotAO.

The reason behind this is these apply to the base class "Ranger", not the Ranger variant named "Mystic Ranger". People always say that it's a really good combo, despite it not working.

If your DM does bar this (i wouldn't be surprised. He's barred Druids and Wizards, no reason he'll allow you an arguably better version), I'd still go with Mystic Ranger. Just 6 levels straight makes for an awesome class in e6, especially if you can get 16 Wis for bonus spells. Getting to KotW 5 is also really good

The reason that many people ignore the whole "variant classes aren't the classes proper" thing might be because there's a whole lot of variants out there that people really like and cutting off all of that support feels bad. Like the Cloistered Cleric, or the Stalwart (Battle) Sorcerer, or the Domain Wizard, or the Totem Barbarian.

Really, the interaction between Variant Classes/Alternate Class Features/(Racial) Substitution Levels is really really weird and complicated and most people don't understand more than "don't change the same thing twice".

gorfnab
2014-09-09, 12:47 AM
Ghaele and Trumpet Archon from Savage Species are interesting options in E6.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 12:55 AM
Ghaele and Trumpet Archon from Savage Species are interesting options in E6.

Oooh, hadn't thought about monster classes in E6 before. Now that I'm giving the chapter another read-through, a good number of them are pretty frontloaded and thus good for E6. Astral Deva also seems like a pretty darn powerful one.

Ruethgar
2014-09-09, 09:15 AM
Unfortunately there is the whole Human only rule. I could take Chosen of Mystra and have 8 in all stats except 18 con, but I would also get Wish as a 1/day SLA and be able to change my race that way(though honestly if doing that the race is the least of the cheese).