PDA

View Full Version : E6 Spell Resistance

heavyfuel
2014-09-07, 11:17 PM
What are some ways of getting access to SR in an E6 game? Preferably without wasting class levels.

Thanks!

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-07, 11:39 PM
What are some ways of getting access to SR in an E6 game? Preferably without wasting class levels.

Thanks!

Drow, Githyanki, Githzerai. Drow have SR 11+class levels, Githyanki and Githzerai 5+class levels. Drow is strictly superior SR-wise, because they have the same LA. Your point buy would be 18 instead of 32 (ouch!), but it's something.

heavyfuel
2014-09-08, 12:15 AM
Yikes! LA really cramping my style... Any feat chains, spells, magic itens, psionics, vestiges, grafts, or something like that?

Giddonihah
2014-09-08, 12:23 AM
Spend a feat for a Soul Meld, can get Spellward Shirt which gives SR 5 + (4*essentia invested), you can get essentia via Class, Race, items, or feats. But you can only invest one or two points of essentia anyways in a e6 game. I think you can even spend a feat to allow you to put an additional essentia point into it.

HunterOfJello
2014-09-08, 12:55 AM
Truenamer 6 can get an utterance that gives a creature the Celestial or Fiendish template for a short time. Those templates give you 5+HD Spell Resistance.

Moral of the story: Use the soulmeld shirt instead.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-08, 01:04 AM
In E6 getting useful spell resistance is only really possible through taking levels in Incarnate and nabbing Spellward shirt. With four levels of Incarnate and the Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat (or three levels, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, and the Bonus Essentia feat at 6th level), you can get SR 21. In a world where almost nobody gets a caster level higher than 6 for most of their spells, that's an immunity to 3 spells out of 4 that get chucked at you. That makes me want to play an Incarnate in E6.

heavyfuel
2014-09-08, 06:46 AM
Spend a feat for a Soul Meld, can get Spellward Shirt which gives SR 5 + (4*essentia invested), you can get essentia via Class, Race, items, or feats. But you can only invest one or two points of essentia anyways in a e6 game. I think you can even spend a feat to allow you to put an additional essentia point into it.

In E6 getting useful spell resistance is only really possible through taking levels in Incarnate and nabbing Spellward shirt. With four levels of Incarnate and the Expanded Soulmeld Capacity feat (or three levels, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, and the Bonus Essentia feat at 6th level), you can get SR 21. In a world where almost nobody gets a caster level higher than 6 for most of their spells, that's an immunity to 3 spells out of 4 that get chucked at you. That makes me want to play an Incarnate in E6.

See, that's more like it! Is there anything this feat can't do? Seriously, it's no wonder there's a handbook dedicated to it alone...

Oh well, guess I really will have to learn about MoI then.

Thanks!

RolandDeschain
2014-09-08, 06:54 AM
Be a cleric.
Be very wealthy.
Cast Favorable Sacrifice.

*to get any sort of meaningful SR you'll discover that I wasn't kidding about the "very wealthy" part

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-08, 07:21 AM
While on that note, you can also nab Asteral Vembrances for DR 6/magic. This is just starting to fall off in usefulness at level 6.

heavyfuel
2014-09-08, 07:52 AM
While on that note, you can also nab Asteral Vembrances for DR 6/magic. This is just starting to fall off in usefulness at level 6.

I kind of hate Dr/magic because even in e6 it's pretty useless.

Is there a way to turn dr/magic into any sort of Dr?

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-08, 08:18 AM
I kind of hate Dr/magic because even in e6 it's pretty useless.

Is there a way to turn dr/magic into any sort of Dr?

Custom item of DR X/—? Unless you can't do that, because DR/— is (Ex). DR X/cold iron would still work pretty well; people carry silver but nobody really bothers with cold iron, at least not nearly as often.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-08, 08:20 AM
DR/magic covers lots of stuff. It is better at levels <3 (at level 1, DR 4/magic on a wizard solves TONS of problems), but there are still tons of animals and other threats that won't have magic claws yet at level 6.

heavyfuel
2014-09-08, 08:43 AM
Custom item of DR X/—? Unless you can't do that, because DR/— is (Ex). DR X/cold iron would still work pretty well; people carry silver but nobody really bothers with cold iron, at least not nearly as often.

Hmmm. The srd doesn't give a value for DR items. Which spells/powers can i use to make one?

DR/magic covers lots of stuff. It is better at levels <3 (at level 1, DR 4/magic on a wizard solves TONS of problems), but there are still tons of animals and other threats that won't have magic claws yet at level 6.

I'm not saying it's useless, but most animals don't make for tough encounters (ray of int damage will 1hit-ko them) and since we're starting at lv 6 I expect most enemies to have a magic weapon or a scroll of it

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-08, 08:49 AM
Biofeedback is a nice DR2/- with min/level duration. You can snag it as a 1st level power off the Psi warrior list (with a permissive DM).

A DM is likely to reject it though. Other DR items are silly expensive, and there are no DR/- items that I know of.

On the other hand, you can get the armor crystals that add DR 5/-. You need to wear +3 heavy armor though.

heavyfuel
2014-09-08, 09:01 AM
Biofeedback is a nice DR2/- with min/level duration. You can snag it as a 1st level power off the Psi warrior list (with a permissive DM

Ooh that is a sexy power. Even at lv2 from the psion list its decent.