PDA

View Full Version : Counterspell and Magic Duels

ambartanen
2014-09-08, 06:04 AM
So this discussion came up in another thread but I think it might deserve separate discussion. The basic question is this: can you counterspell a counterspell? By RAW nothing is preventing you and counterspell only has a somatic component so the suggestions that you are already using your hands or focus doesn't quite fly because you don't need them to counterspell. I am not really interested in convincing people that one way is better than the other though; I just want to point out that choosing one or the other results in a very different dynamic in magic duels.

If you cannot counterspell counterspells, then in a duel between equally powerful casters it is almost always the right choice to counterspell a powerful spell. Both sides lose the same amount of resources and you prevent the opposition from gaining a major advantage. The only case where this isn't the correct move is when the enemy is casting a spell that you don't find particularly threatening- perhaps teleporting away when you don't want to continue the fight or using an elemental attack you are immune to.

So generally speaking if both casters start out with the same casting resources, any spell of level three or above will get counterspelled and the fight effectively goes nowhere. Now that means that, since both sides will eventually run out of level 3+ spell slots anyway without achieving anything, you are much better off using cantrips and first or second level spells for you offensive. They require more resources to counter than they require to cast so you get an advantage if they are countered or deal damage. You are probably best off using a weapon since that cannot be countered at all.

If you can counterspell counterspells, then it is really important who has the initiative. Initially that is the one who wins the initiative roll but it can be switched in one of two ways- either the person with the initiative decides not to cast any spells on their turn or the person who doesn't have the initiative misses a counterspell (essentially taking the negative consequences as the cost of taking initiative). Whoever has the initiative determines whether to shut down spellcasting almost entirely (by not countering counterspells and only using strong spells) or to allow spellcasting normally (by countering counterspells you expend double resources but it looks like no counterspelling is happening to bystanders). In both cases, you are forced to use powerful spells or lose the initiative- throwing a cantrip or first level magic missile will let the other side drive the spellcasting in the encounter.

So, really, the first way means spellcasters effectively negate each other in most fights and leaves it mostly up to their allies to determine who wins the fight. While their general behavior is predetermined by the ruling, spellcasters still get to toss around low powered spells so they are clearly contributing.

The second way means spellcasters can choose whether to completely negate each other or both blast at maximum capacity. The first choice makes it seem like they are just standing there doing nothing while the second has them hitting as hard as they possibly can. Either way a few rounds into the fight both casters are totally spent. The spellcasters do get a meaningful choice for their behavior though.

Personally, I like the second option better because it involves more tactical thinking. I imagine people who think casters are too versatile/powerful might consider the first option as one of many ways to balance their effect on a fight.

linklele
2014-09-08, 07:10 AM
I admit i got lost at half of your text, so i will semplify it down the rules for everyoe to understand.
Counterspell are reactions.

Reactions
A reaction is an instant response to a trigger of some kind, which can occur on your turn or on someone else’s.
When you take a reaction, you can’t take another one until the start o f your next turn.

Counterspell

Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see
a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell

Counterspell itself is a spell so, by RAW you can counter a counterspell.

So it become as you say:
If i counter his counterspell your spell will take affect, but the next turn he will be free to cast wathever he wants as i already expended my reaction (and i have to wait the start of my next turn to regain it).

If i dont counter his counterspell i will be able to shut him off in his turn. So is a stall.

Means it is more beneficial to start first, so you can choose wich kind of duel suits you at the moment.
(and you can even change it midway if you start not countering)

You are probably best off using a weapon since that cannot be countered at all.
False. Use a low level spell instead, even better a cantrip: you can hope he spends a 3lv slot to counter an infinite-use, so you automatically have one more slot to spend againist him in the end.

If he doesn't counter you still have the chance to do some damage, or something more if you used a lv1-2 spell, expecially the ones with duration, wich will give you the upper hand (flaming sphere comes to mind).
He can still cancel it with a Dispel magic but he will lose his main action this way, and again, a 3rd lv slot againist a 2nd one.

Also there should be a discussion apart for sorcerers, thanks to quick spells, wich means he has 2 spell per turn and you can counter only one of them, but still he can counter all of yours (if you are a mage).
So here sorceres have a huge advantage.

ambartanen
2014-09-08, 07:20 AM
False. Use a low level spell instead, even better a cantrip: you can hope he spends a 3lv slot to counter an infinite-use, so you automatically have one more slot to spend againist him in the end.
Well, weapon is only considered if you are actually good with them or (best option) have a friend who is. Cantrips and low level spells have the major disadvantage that they can be countered at any point if they are judged too dangerous. The really optimal attacks are probably second level save-or-suck spells.

Also there should be a discussion apart for sorcerers, thanks to quick spells, wich means he has 2 spell per turn and you can counter only one of them, but still he can counter all of yours (if you are a mage).
So here sorceres have a huge advantage.
Huh, I thought quickened didn't allow you to cast two spells in one round, just a spell and a cantrip but it seems I was wrong. It seems many sorcerers will have the capability to nova and completely trounce a wizard.

Tasvel
2014-09-08, 07:33 AM
Huh, I thought quickened didn't allow you to cast two spells in one round, just a spell and a cantrip but it seems I was wrong.

You're right, it's in the spellcasting chapter under "bonus actions."

linklele
2014-09-08, 07:45 AM
or (best option) have a friend who is
I was referring to a one on one mage duel. With other partecipants the variables become too much to calculate.

Also the school specializations should be considered (in a counterspell-duel), expecially:
-Abjuration= Obvious reason as it gives bonus to your counterspell ability, also while countering you gain a shield to hit points. Opening to much more strategies.
-Divination = with portent for counterspelling check control: Boost yours, hampers your foe's
-Enchantment = Hipnotic gaze and instinctive charm are not spells so they cannot be countered and may save you and some of your spell slot.
-Illusion = Illusory self, expecially if he uses many spells with attack rolls. Limited but saves you one slot to use in counterspell. Better than nothing.
-Necromancy and transmutation: resistance to some kind of damage. Very marginally useful.

EDIT: You're right, only cantrip (sigh),reading only the sorcerer page was misleading.
Well better than nothing. At least they get damaging cantrip per turn.

ambartanen
2014-09-08, 07:59 AM
Well, my idea is that an 11th level, 20 str wizard with a greathammer can beat up an 11th level, 20 int wizard with fire bolt because while the latter deals more damage per hit (1d12+5 vs 3d10+5), the former can afford to counterspell enough cantrips to actually more than make up for that difference and deal more damage over the fight. Of course, that's barring things like critted fire bolts... hold on, that's kind of important. Can you counterspell a spell after the attack roll/save has already been rolled? I would think no but...

linklele
2014-09-08, 08:45 AM
Waitwaitwait.
Look, this is gong a little out of theme in my opinion. I mean, mage that duel with greathammers?!:smallconfused: If you want to go down that way just take the mage slayer feat and you're done.

Aaand NO you get to choose immediately if you want to counter or not.
The only information you can have before is what kind of spell it is thanks to...Arcana knowledge now? (not sure about this actually).
Althogh you can use some kind of bonus dice to avoid crit, like the Divination school features or some other effects (bard song?, other divinations spells?).

DeAnno
2014-09-09, 05:39 AM
The real nasty thing a Sorcerer can do isn't Twin, but Distant. Stay outside the enemy's Counterspell range and inside your own (doubled) Counterspell range and you are sitting pretty.

ambartanen
2014-09-09, 05:48 AM
But it's so undignified to have a magic duel where you make the old wheezing wizard chase you all over the arena! Really, it's exactly the kind of thing those savage sorcerer barbarians would make you do :smallbiggrin:

SirisC
2014-09-09, 07:49 AM
The real nasty thing a Sorcerer can do isn't Twin, but Distant. Stay outside the enemy's Counterspell range and inside your own (doubled) Counterspell range and you are sitting pretty.
Combine with 2 levels of warlock for 600 ft range eldritch spear.

Symphony
2014-09-09, 09:33 AM
Combine with 2 levels of warlock for 600 ft range eldritch spear.

Why stop there? Add Spellsniper feat for 1200 ft range eldritch spear.

linklele
2014-09-09, 11:59 AM
Why stop there? Add Spellsniper feat for 1200 ft range eldritch spear.

Because obviously a duel start with the mages at 1200 ft from each other.

Sorrcerousflux
2014-09-11, 03:35 PM
Because obviously a duel start with the mages at 1200 ft from each other.

Perhaps teleport?

Plus all this talk about counterspelling makes me think, what class would be best in a mage duel?

ambartanen
2014-09-11, 03:50 PM
Depends on the rules of the duel but personally I'd put my money on a draconic sorcerer with quicken spell if we are just talking two caster slugging it out at close range.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-11, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure in a "fair" duel between two casters of the same level without some starting advantage one way or the other the Sorcerer with Counterspell will probably win at most levels because everyone has the same spell slots... except the Sorc can take a bonus action to refesh those slots with sorcery points compared to (iirc) everyone else's short rest.

A DM can spice up the upper level magic part by requiring arcana rolls to know or just not allowing you to know the level of the opponent's spell... in which case upper level Abjurers followed by Bards might have the best mechanical case I think but its still rather close since a Sorc could still afford to screw up more.

Or the metagame tri-wizard tourney level play just has everyone potshotting with cantrips and low level spells afraid to use magic 3rd level and above on the assumption it will be Counterspelled but nobody will waste it on the low level ones lest they run out of Counterspells.

linklele
2014-09-11, 05:32 PM
Perhaps teleport?

Plus all this talk about counterspelling makes me think, what class would be best in a mage duel?

I'd counterspell the teleport of course. :smallbiggrin:

DeAnno
2014-09-11, 05:49 PM
At high levels the Sorcerer also can have Wings without casting a spell and can set his preferred range by just flying up, countering any attempt by the Wizard to Cast Fly or similar until they have reached the magic jerk range where the Sorc can counter and the Wizard cannot.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-11, 08:18 PM
At high levels the Sorcerer also can have Wings without casting a spell and can set his preferred range by just flying up, countering any attempt by the Wizard to Cast Fly or similar until they have reached the magic jerk range where the Sorc can counter and the Wizard cannot.

Reminds me never cast Fly in 5E without Feather Fall at the ready. And more then one if you are truly planning to soar.

DeAnno
2014-09-12, 06:39 PM
I just realized that monsters don't have SLAs anymore, they just "cast spells." This is pretty important because it means Counterspell isn't the sort of difficult pick for a Sorcerer that is there only for fights against NPCs, but a very useful ability that can be great against all sorts of monsters. I think it's very likely that most Sorcs will be picking it up pretty early (level 6 not unreasonable at all), especially because of the excellent action economy it offers.