PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Luckmaster [WIP]

qwertyu63
2014-09-08, 07:34 AM
The Luckmaster

BAB: 3/4; Saves: Poor Fort, Poor Ref, Good Will
Hit Die: d6

-1: Luck points, luck's armor, second chance (skill checks)
-2: Luck surge (skill checks), lucky life
-3: Second chance (initiative checks)
-4: Luck surge (initiative checks)
-5: Invert luck (skill checks), recursive luck (1)
-6: Second chance (attack rolls)
-7: Luck surge (attack rolls)
-8: Invert luck (initiative checks)
-9: Second chance (defense rolls)
10: Luck surge (defense rolls), recursive luck (20)
11: Invert luck (attack rolls)
12: Second chance (saving throws)
13: Luck surge (saving throws)
14: Invert luck (defense rolls)
15: Recursive luck (10)
16:
17: Invert luck (saving throws)
18:
19:
20:

Class Skills
The luckmaster can choose any ten skills to be class skills.

Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier ([6 + Int modifier] ×4 at first level)

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
The luckmaster is proficient in the use of all simple weapons and with light armor but not shields.

Luck Points:
Luckmasters are very lucky. This great luck is tracked in their Luck pool. The maximum size of this pool is equal to double the luckmaster's class level. Once per day, a luckmaster can fill this pool to its maximum value. Doing this takes 1 minute. Luckmasters spend points from this pool to activate their various class features.

Luck's Armor (Ex):
Luckmasters rely on their luck to defend them. They use the Defense Roll variant from the Dungeon Master's Guide, page 25. In addition, if they roll a natural 20 on a defense roll, the attack can not be a critical hit.

Second Chance (Ex):
Luckmasters can spend luck points to get a second chance. By spending 1 luck point, the luckmaster can reroll any skill check they just made, so long as they have at least 2 ranks in the skill.

As the luckmaster gains levels, they gain the power to reroll other rolls (also at the cost of 1 luck point), as follows:

-At level 3, they can reroll initiative checks they make.
-At level 6, they can reroll attack rolls they make.
-At level 9, they can reroll defense rolls they make.
-At level 12, they can reroll saving throws they make.

No action is required to reroll a roll. However, no roll can be rerolled more than once.

Lucky Surge (Ex):
Luckmasters can also spend luck points to get things right the first time. Starting at 2nd level, the luckmaster can, by spending 1 luck point, add a +4 luck bonus to any skill check they are about to roll, so long as they have at least 2 ranks in the skill.

As the luckmaster gains levels, they gain the power to apply this bonus to other rolls (also at the cost of 1 luck point), as follows:

-At level 4, they can add the bonus to initiative checks they make.
-At level 7, they can add the bonus to attack rolls they make.
-At level 10, they can add the bonus to defense rolls they make.
-At level 13, they can add the bonus to saving throws they make.

No action is required to add this luck bonus. If they apply this bonus to a roll that they then reroll, the bonus applies to the reroll as well.

Lucky Life (Ex):
Where others have to work, the luck master just rides on his luck. A luckmaster of at least 2nd level can, by spending 1 luck point and searching for roughly an hour, obtain 1d20 silver pieces (or items that sell for that value, as appropriate).

Invert Luck (Ex):
When others would be at their worst, luckmasters luck out to their best. Starting at 5th level, if the luckmaster rolls a natural 1 on an skill check for a skill in which they have at least 2 ranks, they can spend 1 luck point to treat the roll as a natural 20 instead.

As the luckmaster gains levels, they gain the power to invert other rolls (also at the cost of 1 luck point), as follows:

-At level 8, they can invert initiative checks they make.
-At level 11, they can invert attack rolls they make.
-At level 14, they can invert defense rolls they make.
-At level 17, they can invert saving throws they make.

No action is required to invert a roll.

Recursive Luck (Ex):
Luckmasters find that even their bad luck comes back to help them. Starting at 5th level, whenever a luckmaster rolls a natural 1 on an attack or defense roll and keeps it rather than rerolling or inverting it, they regain 1 luck point.

More powerful luckmasters can also make the best of their victories. Starting at 10th level, whenever a luckmaster rolls a natural 20 on an attack or defense roll without rerolling or inverting to get it, they regain 1 luck point.

The greatest of luckmasters can squeeze some luck out of day-to-day life. Starting at 15th level, whenever a luckmaster rolls a natural 10 on an attack or defense roll and keeps it rather than rerolling it, they regain 1 luck point.

SamBurke
2014-09-08, 11:20 AM
What else...? My question is, what else fills out this skeleton? Just giving a guy feats doesn't make it much of a 'class'. What flavor, special abilities, things and magicks can the Slapdash do that no one else can? What makes them unique and awesome.

Mehket
2014-09-08, 11:42 AM
Luck feats, as written, are not very good. I'd suggest a mechanism which uses luck re-rolls for other purposes. Such as Tanuki Tales recent class or The Gambler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=10423607&postcount=14) which was another homebrew class for a contest.

-Mk

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 12:08 AM
Maybe just play a factotum and take a couple of luck feats, then just refluff it from "guy who knows everything" to "guy who's always in the right place at the right time".

At least, that's what I'd do if I wanted to play a "lucky" character type.

qwertyu63
2014-09-10, 09:11 AM
One invention of actual class features later, I have reforged this basic idea into the Luckmaster.

I do still need more class features (I have 5 dead levels after all), but this should be better.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 09:21 AM
Luck Points:
Luckmasters are very lucky. This great luck is tracked in their Luck pool. The maximum size of this pool is the luckmaster's class level. Once per day, a luckmaster can fill this pool to its maximum value. Doing this takes 1 minute. Luckmasters spend points from this pool to activate their various class features.

Does this mean they get (2*class level) luck points/day (exhaust the pool, refill it, exhaust it again)? If so, I support this. If the class is based around rerolling dice, they should have enough rerolls to make at least one pretty much every combat round.

qwertyu63
2014-09-10, 12:53 PM
Does this mean they get (2*class level) luck points/day (exhaust the pool, refill it, exhaust it again)? If so, I support this. If the class is based around rerolling dice, they should have enough rerolls to make at least one pretty much every combat round.

...no. The listed fill is the only fill that day (at the start of the day, they have whatever is left from yesterday). I can easily double the limit though.

I've also got an idea for "roll a certain value, get a point back" feature for 1 then 20 then 10; I need a way to avoid spamming needless rolls trying to hit them.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-10, 01:01 PM
...no. The listed fill is the only fill that day (at the start of the day, they have whatever is left from yesterday). I can easily double the limit though.

If it's their core feature, they should have enough of it to last them through a full day of adventuring. Also, getting a reroll doesn't mean the reroll will be better, so having more rerolls per day than is actually needed would be good.

Maybe a high-level ability that lets them reroll a reroll once per round?

qwertyu63
2014-09-10, 04:31 PM
If it's their core feature, they should have enough of it to last them through a full day of adventuring. Also, getting a reroll doesn't mean the reroll will be better, so having more rerolls per day than is actually needed would be good.

Maybe a high-level ability that lets them reroll a reroll once per round?

Doubling the limit it is then.

I'll be making some edits when i get back to my computer.