PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Strategy Guide - who else wants to see it?

Akolbi
2014-09-08, 09:04 AM
i'm so curious as to what paizo thinks that it's players should be doing for characters. Anybody have any thoughts as to what they expect out of the book?

Kurald Galain
2014-09-08, 09:51 AM
i'm so curious as to what paizo thinks that it's players should be doing for characters. Anybody have any thoughts as to what they expect out of the book?

I remember the last time WOTC printed a strategy guide it varied from glaringly obvious to laughably bad. I hope Paizo does a better job :smallbiggrin:

Akolbi
2014-09-08, 10:21 AM
just saying (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/iconic-characters/kyra---iconic-cleric/kyra-iconic-cleric-12)

Vhaidara
2014-09-08, 10:27 AM
Well, the Good cleric has healing spells prepared. So Imma gonna go with FAIL.

Kudaku
2014-09-08, 10:28 AM
just saying (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/iconic-characters/kyra---iconic-cleric/kyra-iconic-cleric-12)

I was wondering why her wisdom was so low at level 12, but then I saw the phylactery of positive channeling. Oh man. :smallyuk:

Novawurmson
2014-09-09, 12:27 PM
I was wondering why her wisdom was so low at level 12, but then I saw the phylactery of positive channeling. Oh man. :smallyuk:

I can deal with the phylactery (especially with all of the feats the character has dedicated to improving channeling), but belt of physical perfection for a cleric that's not melee-focused in the least?

Vhaidara
2014-09-09, 12:57 PM
I can deal with the phylactery (especially with all of the feats the character has dedicated to improving channeling), but belt of physical perfection for a cleric that's not melee-focused in the least?

Can you deal with preparing spells that you can cast spontaneously at no penalty?

Novawurmson
2014-09-09, 01:10 PM
Can you deal with preparing spells that you can cast spontaneously at no penalty?

Absolutely not. I can't stand the Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/npc-classes/npc-codex-iconics/iconic-fighter/iconic-fighter-12) who feels the need to TWF with a longsword/shortsword, taking all the relevant Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization/Greater Weapon Specialization for the longsword.

A longsword is 1d8 (average 4.5 damage). A shortsword is 1d6 (average 3.5 damage). If he just used two shortswords with WF/GWF/WS/GWS, he'd be getting an extra 4 damage per hit with another +2 to hit for both of his off-hand attacks. Lose 3 damage per full attack to gain 8 damage (and added accuracy).

Not that TWF on a Fighter is anywhere near optimized to begin with.:smallyuk:

BlackDragonKing
2014-09-09, 01:21 PM
Absolutely not. I can't stand the Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/npc-classes/npc-codex-iconics/iconic-fighter/iconic-fighter-12) who feels the need to TWF with a longsword/shortsword, taking all the relevant Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization/Greater Weapon Specialization for the longsword.

A longsword is 1d8 (average 4.5 damage). A shortsword is 1d6 (average 3.5 damage). If he just used two shortswords with WF/GWF/WS/GWS, he'd be getting an extra 4 damage per hit with another +2 to hit for both of his off-hand attacks. Lose 3 damage per full attack to gain 8 damage (and added accuracy).

Not that TWF on a Fighter is anywhere near optimized to begin with.:smallyuk:

To be fair, the Fighter and Optimization are strangers who live in different social circles; they both know the Wizard, but in very different capacities, and Optimization pretends not to notice the Fighter at social events when they're both there. :smallwink:

StreamOfTheSky
2014-09-09, 02:13 PM

I'm somewhere between completely indifferent to its existence and tempted to peak just to laugh at the carnage.

the clumsy bard
2014-09-09, 02:25 PM
Really?

I hadn't even looked at the description of the book as it is (was) far enough away.

From the name I figured it would've been more strategy in terms of decision making in combat / in game etc, not character building.

I was honestly hoping for something more along the lines of this (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i5hWkHXHOetRlpLOmxbpoEWod77psN0JcwFvxClNrGc/edit).

Diachronos
2014-09-09, 03:52 PM
I honestly think that it would be useless to anyone other than an optimizer or a new player. Not everybody wants to build a T1 caster that uses thr same cookie-cutter build just because it's "the best/right way".

Maybe it's just my group, though. We tend to play interesting or fun characters regardless of optimization.
As an example, this is a group that has built:
A kitsune Oracle that took Magical Tail as each of her feats
A sorcerer whose Krenshar nearly rivaled him for Intelligence
A ninja who once nailed all the room's furniture to the ceiling and whose ultimate goal was to infiltrate a bakery
A mentally-childish half-vampire Dread Necromancer who charges into battle with a scythe and made a deal with a pit fiend in exchange for a relatively minor power that she saw other people using

geekintheground
2014-09-09, 04:13 PM
I honestly think that it would be useless to anyone other than an optimizer or a new player. Not everybody wants to build a T1 caster that uses thr same cookie-cutter build just because it's "the best/right way".

Maybe it's just my group, though. We tend to play interesting or fun characters regardless of optimization.
As an example, this is a group that has built:
A kitsune Oracle that took Magical Tail as each of her feats
A sorcerer whose Krenshar nearly rivaled him for Intelligence
A ninja who once nailed all the room's furniture to the ceiling and whose ultimate goal was to infiltrate a bakery
A mentally-childish half-vampire Dread Necromancer who charges into battle with a scythe and made a deal with a pit fiend in exchange for a relatively minor power that she saw other people using

to be fair, i dont think this book will be very optimized... and should probably be open ended like "do you wanna play something like this? well here are a few options, but if you see something else you like go for it!" (of course thats blind speculation as i have no idea what to expect)

Kudaku
2014-09-09, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I think the main purpose is to make starting Pathfinder less intimidating to rookies. I'm guessing they'll extract all the relevant "create a character" information from the CRB, reformat it to better organized and less spread out and overwhelming, take you through the steps of making your first character, and then gradually introduce the combat chapter. Basically what most experienced GMs do when they get a new player.

I'm guessing it'll be a handy book to give someone who's curious about RPGs, but it will see very little use among players who are already comfortable with Pathfinder's complexity.

grarrrg
2014-09-09, 07:18 PM
I'm somewhere between completely indifferent to its existence and tempted to peak just to laugh at the carnage.

Mostly this ^