View Full Version : Wise sayings

Asta Kask
2014-09-08, 12:37 PM
"People were stupid before the Internet. They just didn't put it on YouTube."

Tara, Radio Dead Air

Lightlawbliss
2014-09-08, 12:42 PM
"Don't fight your enemy, show him how to fight himself"
"When you know how to fight, you are never in a fight. Fighting is for those who don't know what they are doing."
"Listen before you speak, look before you leap, and don't scream during an ambush."

Septimus Faber
2014-09-08, 12:42 PM
"The higher up the tree the monkey climbs, the more you see its... erm... posterior."
- Paraphrased Japanese Proverb

Slipperychicken
2014-09-08, 04:33 PM
"Don't risk jail-time to steal two hundred thousand dollars. That's not worth it. When you can steal two million, or two billion, then you risk it".
-Anon

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future"
-Yogi Berra

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win"
-Sun Tzu

"The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand."
-Sun Tzu

factotum
2014-09-08, 04:38 PM
"There is no such thing as a foolproof system because somewhere there is always a systemproof fool." --my friend at University

TheThan
2014-09-08, 04:49 PM
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They’re dead!”
-Jaya Ballard, task mage

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire!"
-Jaya Ballard, task mage

"Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza!"
-Michelangelo

"There’s no obstacle that can't be overcome with the judicious use of high explosives."
-My uncle

comicshorse
2014-09-08, 04:57 PM
'One should forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged'
Heinrich Heine

'Take more than your fair share of objectives and you will be given more than your fair share of objectives to take.'
Anon

Lentrax
2014-09-08, 05:01 PM
Put down that shovel.

-Mr. Lubeck, High School American History Teacher.

Talar
2014-09-08, 05:27 PM
"There are bad things in the world. There's no getting away from that. But that doesn't mean nothing can be done about them. You can't abandon life just because it's scary, and just because sometimes you get hurt." Harry Dresden

Jay R
2014-09-08, 06:07 PM
Never get your wise sayings on the Internet.

Jon_Dahl
2014-09-09, 12:20 AM
http://clarkbunch.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/life-is-hard.jpg

Asta Kask
2014-09-09, 12:43 AM
Charlie, there are a million things in this universe you can have and there are a million things you can't have. It's no fun facing that, but that's the way things are.

James Kirk

golentan
2014-09-09, 03:13 AM
Money is the goal of people who don't know what they want it for yet.

Marcivo
2014-09-09, 03:28 AM
"What is the worst that can happen? Accept it - if inevitable, be willing to have it so. Now, calmly proceed to improve on the worst."

"The sovereign voluntary path to cheerfulness, if your cheerfulness be lost, is to sit up cheerfully and to act and speak as if cheerfulness were already there."

"We cannot command our emotions, but we can, our actions, which in turn regulate our emotions."

"A man will find that, as he alters his thoughts towards things and other people, things and other people will alter towards him."
-or, alternatively-
"Let a man radically alter his thoughts and he will be astonished at the radical transformation it will effect in the material conditions of his life."

I don't have the source on any of these quotes. Recently, I inherited my great grandfather's field journal. He was a colonel in World War II. These are a few of the things he had written on the opening page.

Killer Angel
2014-09-09, 06:55 AM
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They’re dead!”
-Jaya Ballard, task mage

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire!"
-Jaya Ballard, task mage

"There’s no obstacle that can't be overcome with the judicious use of high explosives."
-My uncle

It's surprising how many things in common your uncle, magic and WH40K have... :smalltongue:

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million."
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Gnomvid
2014-09-09, 06:57 AM
Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain: Tell me something, Buster. What do you think of Negroes?
Pvt. Buster Kilrain: Well, if you mean the race, I don't really know. This is not a thing to be ashamed of. The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time.

Asta Kask
2014-09-09, 06:58 AM
-My uncle

Is your uncle Vaarsuvius?

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

RdMarquis
2014-09-09, 07:21 AM
"...What's normal is whatever works for you."
-Alec Hardison, Leverage

Jay R
2014-09-09, 07:53 AM
You can have a thousand reasons to want peace. But it won't matter, as long as the enemy has a single reason to want war.

If you want to understand politics, stop talking about "the party out of power." The loser in the last election has far more power and influence than you or I will ever have. Both parties are in power.

The reason we are always disappointed on Election Day is that we keep expecting it to be Christmas ... and it turns out to be April Fool's Day. We should really treat it like Independence Day. Only then will it become Thanksgiving.

TheEmerged
2014-09-09, 08:50 AM
"There is no such thing as a foolproof system because somewhere there is always a systemproof fool." --my friend at University

Does your University friend do IT helpdesk work, by any chance? Because I know a few "systemproof fools" by name & employee#...

============================================

"Sometimes, the knights are the monsters."
-one of George R. R. Martin's characters in the Song Of Fire & Ice series

"Patience is the dullest of virtures - but often the most useful."
-allegedly a Russian saying I picked up from the 2nd "Bionic Reunion" movie, either way it's served me very well over the years

"Always remember... most riddles contain their own answers."
-My Little Pony, the original cartoon series, and another one that has served me well ever since

"The stranger the symptom, the more mundane the cause usually is."
-my late father

Dienekes
2014-09-09, 09:11 AM
"**** it, do what makes you happy. Just try not to get anyone killed."
-Dad

Jay R
2014-09-09, 10:06 AM
"**** it, do what makes you happy. Just try not to get anyone killed."
-Dad

Well, make up your mind.

The_Ditto
2014-09-09, 10:30 AM
My personal favourite:

"Sacrificing Minions. Is there any problem it CANT' solve?"
Xykon

Source (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0192.html)

Traab
2014-09-09, 10:46 AM
"Dont screw around. You screw around too much."

Mr Adler, South Park.

Gnomvid
2014-09-09, 10:46 AM
All ways are good except the bad ones.

Kid Jake
2014-09-10, 02:50 AM
A favorite piece of advice from my grandmother: "Wish in one hand, s*** in the other. See which one fills up first."

Glodart
2014-09-10, 07:31 PM
"There is no such thing as a good pun"
Piers Anthony

Mauve Shirt
2014-09-10, 08:19 PM
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes.

Everything is air-droppable at least once.

Razanir
2014-09-10, 10:05 PM
Never get your wise sayings on the Internet.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are real. -Abraham Lincoln

Slipperychicken
2014-09-11, 12:02 AM
There are only two kinds of tabletop systems: those which people always bitch about, and those which nobody plays.
-Slipperychicken (inspired by a quote from Bjarne Stroustrup)

Gnome Alone
2014-09-11, 12:16 AM
"Live and pretend to learn."

-Me

Gnomvid
2014-09-11, 03:54 AM
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world those who understand binary and those that don't

Razanir
2014-09-11, 08:46 AM
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world those who understand binary and those that don't

There are only 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Traab
2014-09-11, 12:09 PM
There are only 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

I heard its, "There are three kind of people in the world, those who are good at math, and those who aren't."

Anarion
2014-09-11, 12:19 PM
"An unjust law is no law at all."
-Assorted, probably first said by St. Augustine.

Asta Kask
2014-09-11, 01:16 PM
"The law that entropy always increases holds, I think, the supreme position among the laws of Nature. If someone points out to you that your pet theory of the universe is in disagreement with Maxwell's equations — then so much the worse for Maxwell's equations. If it is found to be contradicted by observation — well, these experimentalists do bungle things sometimes. But if your theory is found to be against the second law of thermodynamics I can give you no hope; there is nothing for it but to collapse in deepest humiliation."
—Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington, The Nature of the Physical World (1927)

TheThan
2014-09-11, 08:26 PM
It's surprising how many things in common your uncle, magic and WH40K have... :smalltongue:

I’m not sure he would be proud or not of that commonality.

Is your uncle Vaarsuvius?

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Nope but I’m sure they tend to think along the same lines. anyway here are some more :

To be old and wise you first must be young and stupid.
-A “No Fear” t-shirt.

Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway.
-John Wayne

You can’t always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes you might find, you get what you need.
-The rolling stones

All you need is love
-John Lennon

You can’t fix stupid.
-Ron White

It takes no effort to be miserable.
-Some guy on the internet.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-11, 08:44 PM
"Fake it till ya make it"

-Unknown

Mauve Shirt
2014-09-11, 09:13 PM
"Calm yo tits."

JustSomeGuy
2014-09-12, 04:23 AM
An old boss of mine used to come out with some right pearls; he was one of those 'folksy wisdom' guys, but he'd always muddle them up hilariously, such as "that boy can't tell his arse from his elbow" and "he knows x like the back of his hand" would go something like "he can't wipe his arse for his hand" and suchlike.

golentan
2014-09-12, 11:47 PM
The trick to winning a fight is to find your calm center. Cram all your calm in that sumbitch, so that calm won't accidentally distract you from making the most violent use of your berserker exterior.

Killer Angel
2014-09-13, 05:33 AM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

sometime is truly wise, sometime is an excuse for laziness. :smalltongue:

SiuiS
2014-09-13, 07:07 AM
Measure twice, cut once

Or the more modern variant;

The truly lazy do it right the first time so it doesn't need to be redone.

Jay R
2014-09-13, 04:14 PM
You'll find that it probably suits your book,
To be a bit smarter than you look.
Observe that the easiest method by far
Is to look a bit stupider than you are.
-- Piet Hein

Sobol
2014-09-14, 04:14 PM
Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness.
- Ludwig Wittgenstein

shawnhcorey
2014-09-14, 04:40 PM
"Too soon old, too late smart." -- my mom

You can't stay young but you can stay immature.
Steve Smith "Red Green"

Is there any problem duck tape can't fix?
Steve Smith "Red Green"

Be generous with the duck tape, you know; spare the duck tape, spoil the job.
Steve Smith "Red Green"

There's only two things that excite a man, expensive toys and real expensive toys.
Steve Smith "Red Green"

To me, cheating just means you care about winning.
Steve Smith "Red Green"

VEGETARIAN: That's an old Indian word meaning "I don't hunt so good."
Steve Smith "Red Green"

Lord Raziere
2014-09-14, 05:48 PM
Give me the serenity, to accept the things I cannot change.
Courage, for the things I can.
and the wisdom to tell the difference.
-Slaughterhouse 5

or:

Give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
Courage for the things I can.
and the magic to turn the former into the latter.

Remember: Giving up is only four letters away from screwing up.

CynicalAvocado
2014-09-14, 06:16 PM
http://clarkbunch.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/life-is-hard.jpg

My high school band director had that posted on his office window

i like this quote that is often misattributed to Marcus Aurelius

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Aedilred
2014-09-14, 06:18 PM
I heard its, "There are three kind of people in the world, those who are good at math, and those who aren't."

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't understand this joke.

Leriel
2014-09-15, 07:12 AM
Experience is an umbrella available when the rain stopped.

rlc
2014-09-15, 04:21 PM
"Anyone who doesn't think there are two sides to an argument is probably in one." - unknown

Ravens_cry
2014-09-15, 07:03 PM
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who think you can divide people into two groups, and those who do not.

Afool
2014-09-15, 09:27 PM
There are approximately 7.125+ billion kinds of people in the world.

They could all use some more sleep.

enderlord99
2014-09-15, 09:38 PM
"Calm yo tits."

...Well, I suppose reverse psychology can be wise some times...

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are real. -Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln? That's ridiculous!

That is obviously a quote from Aristotle.

The Strategos
2014-09-16, 01:50 AM
"You don't change gods like you change your pants."

-Noah Antwiler

Mystic Muse
2014-09-16, 11:05 PM
"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon waiting to eat my face."

Harry Dresden.

Gnoman
2014-09-16, 11:19 PM
Trust Everyone - But cut the cards.

ORione
2014-09-17, 12:55 AM
"Honor in fighting is a dumb idea. If you've got a good cause, then you should do what you must to win. If you don't, then no amount of honor will make you righteous."
- Holly Owens

"If life gives you lemons, make grape juice and let life wonder how you did that."
- I don't know

"If life gives you lemons, squeeze them in the eyes of your enemies."
- I don't know

Asta Kask
2014-09-17, 04:34 AM
What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also.
Julius Caesar

Necroticplague
2014-09-17, 06:30 AM
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons!"
-Cave Johnson

"Ideas are bulletproof!"
-V

"There are two possibilities when it comes to life elsewhere in the world: Either we're alone in a large, uncaring world, or we're being watched over by forces beyond our comprehension. I, for one, believe the former, and find both options equally terrifying. "
-Unknown

"The concept of The Purge is pretty stupid. If people hate laws that much, why did they make them in the first place? People make the law because they, as a general consensus, they think you shouldn't do that crap anyway."
-Unknown

"Your position isn't very consistent. Either I can judge right from wrong myself, in which case I don't the rules handed down to me from above, or I can't, in which case I can't actually confirm the rules from above are actually good."
-Unknown

Asta Kask
2014-09-17, 09:24 AM
Future events such as these will affect you... in the future.

Jay R
2014-09-17, 10:37 AM
Man is the only animal you can skin more than once.
-- Pappy Maverick

Flattery is like perfume. Smell it, but don't swallow it
-- Pappy Maverick

A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero only one ... and a thousand to one are pretty good odds.
-- Pappy Maverick

A man does what he has to do ... if he can't get out of it.
-- Pappy Maverick

Freedom's got a lot to do with what you've got in your hip pocket.
-- Pappy Maverick

If all the men who lived by the gun were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
-- Pappy Maverick

If the Lord had any respect for money, he'd have given it to a better class of people.
-- Pappy Maverick

In the face of overwhelming odds, run.
-- Pappy Maverick

Love, and love alone, will send a man soaring into the depths.
-- Pappy Maverick

Love's the only thing in life you have to earn. Everything else you can steal.
-- Pappy Maverick

Some men are afraid of the dark and some are afraid to leave it.
-- Beau Maverick, Maverick

Sometimes a man must rise above principle.
-- Pappy Maverick

The only time you quit when you're winning is after you've won it all.
-- Pappy Maverick

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to place your bets.
-- Pappy Maverick

Work is all right for killin' time, but it's a shaky way to make a livin'.
-- Pappy Maverick

You can be a gentleman and still not forget all you know about self defense.
-- Pappy Maverick

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, and those are very good odds.
-- Pappy Maverick

Mad Hattington
2014-09-19, 07:56 AM
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Terry Pratchett

Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction.
Silvio Berlusconi (actually Kant)

Nothing is worse than the teacher who knows no more than the student ought to know.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (this one is serious)

Jay R
2014-09-19, 02:36 PM
Never be afraid of people stealing your ideas. If they're any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
-- Professor Howard Aiken

Son, no matter how far you travel, or how smart you get, always remember this: somewhere, a guy is going to come to you and show you a nice brand new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that the Jack of Spades will jump out of this deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not bet this man, for as sure as you do, you are going to get an earful of cider.
-- Guys and Dolls, Damon Runyon

Wardog
2014-10-02, 01:49 PM
...Well, I suppose reverse psychology can be wise some times...

Abraham Lincoln? That's ridiculous!

That is obviously a quote from Aristotle.

I always thought it was Einstein...

Jormengand
2014-10-05, 04:29 PM
"You never really know someone until you climb into their skin and walk around in it."
"A person's conscience is the one thing that isn't subject to a majority vote."
"I wanted you to see what courage is, instead of getting this idea in your head that courage is a man with a gun his hand. Courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through to the end."
"Jack! When a child asks you something, answer him, for goodness' sake. But don't make a production of it. Children are children, but they can spot an evasion faster than adults, and evasion simply muddles 'em."
-Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird.

There are approximately 7.125+ billion kinds of people in the world.

They could all use some more sleep.

"I think there's only one kind of folks. Folks."
-Scout Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird.

Also:

"The first rule of unarmed combat: Don't be unarmed."
"The second rule of unarmed combat: Don't be in combat."
"If machineguns aren't working, you need more machineguns."

-Me.

I need to do more of those at some point.

Kymme
2014-10-05, 05:02 PM
"The pessimist is always pleasantly surprised."

Necroticplague
2014-10-05, 05:24 PM
"Remember kid, to adjust your work to how you're paid. If you're salaried, work as hard as you can so you don't have to work very long. If you're hourly, work just fast enough that you don't get fired to make things take forever. And if you're commissioned, learn to identify the easy sells and price things that are BARELY legally non-predatory."

"The early bird gets the worm. The late mouse, however, gets the food in the trap."

"Hard work created Normandy Beach. Smart work created Nagasaki."

"If you try and make something, you will likely have some problems. If you don't it will be exploited. Either way, someone else is gonna make most the money. So try and either be the dude perfecting what someone else did, or the dude exploiting someone else's vision."

Jay R
2014-10-05, 07:52 PM
Just because you’re passionate about something doesn’t mean you won’t suck at it.
-- Mike Rowe

Frozen_Feet
2014-10-05, 08:15 PM
"The ethical choice [in war], if there is any, is whatever makes it end quickly."

-- Zheng Li Lin

golentan
2014-10-06, 11:22 PM
"The ethical choice [in war], if there is any, is whatever makes it end quickly."

-- Zheng Li Lin

You support unconditional surrender?

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-07, 01:45 PM

a nuke ends a battle rather quickly.

Asta Kask
2014-10-07, 01:49 PM
These peace talks will cause nothing but war. Please take a detour to another thread.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-10-07, 03:29 PM
I have a Word Doc full of these. I'll just post some of the short(er) ones.

"The good thing about being a hypocrite is that you get to keep your values." - Alan Alda

"It’s a racket. Those stock market guys are crooked." - Al Capone

"The past is only the future with the lights on." - Mark Hoppus

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo from Pogo, as written by Walter Kelly.

"You can't afford to give away ideas – they're too damn hard to come by." - Rod Serling

"Everyone is the media." - Ricky Gervais

"There are three things men can do with women: love them, suffer for them, or turn them into literature." - Stephen Stills

SiuiS
2014-10-07, 05:48 PM
" If you're hourly, work just fast enough that you don't get fired to make things take forever. And if you're commissioned, learn to identify the easy sells and price things that are BARELY legally non-predatory."

"If you try and make something, you will likely have some problems. If you don't it will be exploited. Either way, someone else is gonna make most the money. So try and either be the dude perfecting what someone else did, or the dude exploiting someone else's vision."

It's a sad thing that we live in a world that considers this wisdom.

Yup.

AtlanteanTroll
2014-10-07, 05:56 PM
Let's try and not get this thread derailed (and subsequently locked) with philosophy of war comments. :smallsigh:

TheThan
2014-10-07, 09:07 PM
here's one that cropped up today.

“Getting’ old ain’t for sissies”
-My barber

SVamp
2014-10-07, 10:38 PM
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

sometime is truly wise, sometime is an excuse for laziness. :smalltongue:

There is no such thing as laziness, just misunderstood efficiency. :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2014-10-08, 11:24 AM
"You can read between the lines all you like, but nothing is written there."
-Julian Baggini, in his book The Duck that won the Lottery.

Also started adding more of my own to my sig again.

Frozen_Feet
2014-10-10, 12:51 AM

Is unconditional surrender always the fastest way to end a war?

factotum
2014-10-10, 02:34 AM

Well, technically, yes? It's instantaneous--you surrender to the other guy, war is over.

SiuiS
2014-10-10, 04:07 AM
Too simple. You've reduced a complex action to a binary. Doesn't work because you cannot make pithy statements about complex motivations and interacting social forces.

Which reminds me of another one;

"Truth resists simplicity". Specifically short and simple because it's not always that easy. The more you reduce a true thing the less relevant and applicable that truth becomes.

Crow
2014-10-10, 04:27 AM
Your can't determine your own success. The men and women you lead determine this for you. If they are successful, then you are successful.

- "Dalton Fury"

Asta Kask
2014-10-10, 04:33 AM
Too simple. You've reduced a complex action to a binary. Doesn't work because you cannot make pithy statements about complex motivations and interacting social forces.

Which reminds me of another one;

"Truth resists simplicity". Specifically short and simple because it's not always that easy. The more you reduce a true thing the less relevant and applicable that truth becomes.

Too simple. Things like pressure, temperature and entropy are all enormously simplified descriptions of very complex systems yet their utility is undeniable. Maybe it's the same with high-level concepts like beauty, justice and free will? Anyway, this reminds me of another quote

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Einstein probably said something similar

It can be traced back to 1950, when poet/composer Mark Scroggins said that Einstein had "in effect" said that. Which probably means it's not strictly a quote.

Aedilred
2014-10-10, 08:41 AM
It can be traced back to 1950, when poet/composer Mark Scroggins said that Einstein had "in effect" said that. Which probably means it's not strictly a quote.

It's probably been simplified from the original, in keeping with the spirit of the thing.

Jay R
2014-10-10, 09:55 AM

Unless you're the only person on one side, it's never the fastest way to end the war. Unconditional surrender means convincing millions of people to accept something very bad.

SiuiS
2014-10-10, 12:02 PM
Too simple.

Exactly; truth resists simplicity. This is too simple to be true.

Unless you're the only person on one side, it's never the fastest way to end the war. Unconditional surrender means convincing millions of people to accept something very bad.

Folks, a seriously. The pithy one liner was made, it was neutered by making it relevant and answering it honestly. There is nothing to be gained but a thread lock by making a Wise Sayings thread become about whose philosophical view of surrender is mostest correctest. We all know it's not that simple; this has now become about who can get the last word in without crossing the line. That's a bad game to play.

Let's let it go.

Asta Kask
2014-10-10, 12:53 PM
Let's let it go.

Thank you.

Although now I'll have "Let it go" in my head for two days. It's not a bad song per se, but it has outlived its welcome.

Right, something profound.

"Be as you wish to seem."

Socrates

ETA: He also said some intelligent things about people intentionally corrupting the youth. Those who accuse LGBTA people of doing this should read Socrates. After they learn to read.

Jay R
2014-10-10, 01:07 PM
"Be a fool if you must, but you might at least be your own fool."
-- Granny Weatherwax, Equal Rites, Terry Pratchett

"You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise it's just a cage."
-- Granny Weatherwax, Witches Abroad, Terry Pratchett

AtlanteanTroll
2014-10-10, 02:47 PM
Let's let it go.
Glad I didn't say that up thread days ago only for you, among other, to continue.

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants and slide on the ice." - Sydney Freeman, from M*A*S*H, as portrayed by Alan Arbus

Jormengand
2014-10-10, 03:10 PM
One that I think this thread could use:

"One who is taught by riddles shall learn only in guesses."
-Me, a couple of years ago.

Might add it to my sig, actually...

SiuiS
2014-10-11, 12:43 AM
Glad I didn't say that up thread days ago only for you, among other, to continue.

There's a difference between answering a question and starting or continuing a hot button philosophical conversation, sweetie. I'm sorry you feel ignored or usurped or whathaveyou, though. Not my intent to frustrate.

Necroticplague
2014-10-11, 08:32 AM
"Don't bother trying to run from the future. You'll only lose tired."

golentan
2014-10-11, 12:10 PM
There's a difference between answering a question and starting or continuing a hot button philosophical conversation, sweetie. I'm sorry you feel ignored or usurped or whathaveyou, though. Not my intent to frustrate.

For what it's worth, I regret my joke.

Aedilred
2014-10-11, 12:14 PM
For what it's worth, I regret my joke.

I often do, on this board.

Crow
2014-10-11, 12:17 PM
I often do, on this board.

As do I as well.

SiuiS
2014-10-11, 05:03 PM
You all would make terrible L5R samurai :smalltongue:

Frozen_Feet
2014-10-14, 09:37 AM
"Sometimes the wisdom of a phrase is not in giving you the right answers, but in making you ask relevant questions."

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-15, 01:48 PM
{scrubbed}

SiuiS
2014-10-15, 07:46 PM

You may wanna censor that one word, hon.

Jon_Dahl
2014-10-27, 02:33 PM
I put this one together today, spoilered for the size.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10679668_1489848634634486_8544883250435880495_o.jp g

Asta Kask
2014-10-27, 02:43 PM
Or to put it in a modern context:

"When composing a post, one should think that someone will put it in their sig."

Lightlawbliss
2014-10-27, 02:59 PM

"When composing a post, one should think that someone will put it in their sig."

I would ask to sig this, but it could be used against me too often.

Gnomvid
2014-10-28, 09:04 AM
It is hard to be heavy if you don't weigh anything.

Slipperychicken
2014-10-28, 09:42 AM

"Every IM you type will be saved. Every image of you will be posted on 4chan. All your secrets will be leaked to the news. Act as if these are true."

Jon_Dahl
2014-11-01, 02:06 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1012276_863073290400244_8996908409963940233_n.jpg? oh=a651e683557e891aee855f9cdded5f3a&oe=54DED111&__gda__=1425300056_dd7432816f2347e88c2538d0abea58e e

Jormengand
2014-11-01, 06:49 PM
I decided to make some pictures for some of my favourite ones:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/12762_1406203433003387_179795233863555909_n.jpg?oh =01a01203c4866fa368bbbfdcf67550ee&oe=54E3BD45https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10387237_1406203509670046_7121790586137429911_n.jp g?oh=0a47b3f42fd03284e2df811ed573f0ea&oe=54E422A7&__gda__=1424482200_4529c31ae5d00fc03c2ce01a07f078e fhttps://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10603712_1406203513003379_5502806433466494475_n.jp g?oh=59c4bdab7cafe7afb4b894b8a11ee3e1&oe=54DFDD67https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10410383_1406235493000181_1135562838487097862_n.jp g?oh=d075c01d114ea0e86acb72583c3c2cb6&oe=54E9B144

Necroticplague
2014-11-01, 07:54 PM
"Don't bother trying to fool-proof something. You'll only find yourself ever more surprised by the ingenuity of fools."

"You can't fool everyone all of the time. However, fooling some of the people all of the time still has pretty good profit margins."

"The one good thing about being so pessimistic is that you're pleasantly surprised every time you manage to live through another day."

"The predominant emotion of depression is not sadness. It's apathy. Sure, you take a pit stop at "woe is me" to use the restroom, but most the time is on the grey road of "meh, why bother"."

Jon_Dahl
2014-11-03, 12:53 PM
Forest Whitaker <3
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s600x600/603706_1492448071041209_8473158889285752347_n.jpg? oh=f4b686060b46676638a1a7d543e2e9d2&oe=54AB0396

Rater202
2014-11-04, 02:25 PM
"When life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life is giving the vodka, and have a party"-Ron White

"The greatest things in life are a comfortable couch, a soft pillow, a nice summer breeze, a good book, and a glass of lemonade"-Me

"When surrounded by hostile forces with no chance of escape or surrender, then when in doubt, kill all sons a bitches."-Also me.