PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Unsettling Warforged

Judge_Worm
2014-09-08, 01:15 PM
Starting a new campaign, the primary questgiver is going to be the creepiest Warforged Druid I can make. Originally I was thinking Incarnate Construct, but scrapped it in favor of him (male personality) wearing the pelts of poachers (mostly human and elf). Now I want to change the material of his body too, I was thinking stone. And have him wear dark wood or bone full plate (under the people pelts). Have his head replaced or covered with a giant's skull, and maybe a dragon wing graft and two flesh golem arm grafts.

What else can I do to make him horribly unsettling to my PCs while still trying to be "natural?" And what animal companion should I give him (anything with a vermin or animal as it's base works any additional templates are fine so long as it doesn't become undead, an outsider, or something else unnatural)?

I'm not statting him all the way, but I'm giving him some skill points (to make checks against), trading Wildshape for Rage, and the abilities:
Str 15, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 20, Wis 26, Cha 3

This is a gestalt campaign so I need another class as well, I was thinking Ranger or Fighter (his background as a Warforged). Warforged in this campaign are ancient constructs of long forgotten wars, they gained sentience during their long wait (and are not available for players until their original character dies), and have taken to "modern" (middle ages) life fairly well since they have learned to accept change from all those years that have passed.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-08, 01:33 PM
Well, there's the Trophy Collector and Intimidating Strike feats from PHB-II.

You could also give him the following feats (though two of them require undead, I don't exactly see why they do):

Prerequisite
Base attack bonus +6

Benefit
Whenever you make a full attack and reduce an opponent to 0 or fewer hit points, you can give up any remaining attacks you have in the round to force the target to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your Cha modifier). If the target fails the save, he dies instead of becoming disabled, and all creatures within 30 feet must succeed on Will saves against the same DC or become sickened for 1 round.

Prerequisite
CHA 13, base attack bonus +1

Benefit
You may take a standard action to awe an opponent. The opponent must be within 30 feet, have line of sight to you, and have an Intelligence score. If the opponent fails a Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier), it is shaken for 10 minutes. This feat has no effect on a creature that is already shaken.

Prerequisite
Daunting Presence, CHA 13, base attack bonus +1, undead type

Benefit
Whenever you score a critical hit with a melee attack against a living foe, the foe is also shaken for 1 minute. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect.

Prerequisite
Death Master, Daunting Presence, Improved Critical, CHA 13, base attack bonus +1, undead type

Benefit
Whenever you score a critical hit with a melee attack against a living foe, creatures within 30 feet that are allied to that foe are shaken for 1 minute. This is a mind-affecting, fear effect.

And/or levels in Avenging Executioner in Complete Scoundrel. If you do, take Telling Blow, so your AvEx features will activate on crit. Hexblade entry could also be good, though it goes against what you've got here. Especially if you take the PHB-II Dark Companion ACF.

KingAtomsk
2014-09-08, 01:59 PM
Druid/Totemist/Landforged Walker/Sapphire Hierarch so he can turn into a giant creepy tree that ambushes hunters and eats them

Ferronach
2014-09-08, 02:14 PM
I want to change the material of his body too, I was thinking stone. And have him wear dark wood or bone full plate (under the people pelts). Have his head replaced or covered with a giant's skull, and maybe a dragon wing graft and two flesh golem arm grafts.

If you graft the warforged too much, you loose the essence of a warforged. Because he is a druid, you could change his wood to darkwood, his metal to bone, and his stone to black marble/granite.
One of the most distinct features of a warforged is that they cannot wear armour so you may want to just "augment" his body and give him body spikes (WF Juggernauts get them as a class feature) and have fixed blades in place of a beard.
The pets could make a patchwork cloak which each patch being a bit of the poacher's hide, or better yet their scalp and occasionally a bit of the face.
Helmets are fine for Warforged so maybe a demonic scull enchanted to have glowing eyes?

What else can I do to make him horribly unsettling to my PCs while still trying to be "natural?" And what animal companion should I give him (anything with a vermin or animal as it's base works any additional templates are fine so long as it doesn't become undead, an outsider, or something else unnatural)?

I think i read somewhere that you can get spidersilk garments... you could have a tyrantula scurry around his cloak and renew the spider threads holding the pieces together. For it's initial appearance tell the players that one of the eye holes in the cloak in slowly quivvering and bulging. Then POP! out pops this hairy tyrantula.
Bone fetishes and a belt of dessicated ears could be added.

Troacctid
2014-09-08, 02:15 PM
Don't overdo it. One extremely creepy aspect is more memorable than a hodgepodge of a dozen.

daremetoidareyo
2014-09-08, 03:46 PM
I like your poacher skin idea. Put his mouth on the back of his hand rather than on his face. Draw the mouth on the back of your hand and use it. To whisper to a character, reach it out next to the PCs ear.

Starchild7309
2014-09-08, 10:38 PM
This is how I would describe him, from what you have told us.

As the PC's arrive for the first time to meet him.

*Sitting in the crotch of a tree you see a hulking mass of stone, wood and bone. It sits perched in the tree like an ancient gargoyle, unmoving. Lichen and moss, grows all over its body, leading you to believe it has not moved for a very long time (of course he has been busy.) As you approach the figures head turns, staring down at you with piercing and unnatural green eyes and speaks*

Have your dialogue in here obviously

At one point have him leap from the tree, asking them what their business in the forest is. Ask them point blank if he needs to collect their skins to add to his cloak. As they assure him he doesn't need to, have him get touchy feeley and inspect a PC's scalp and compare it to a hole that may be in his cloak of scalps.

Going strictly by the rules of 3.5, unless he takes feats the only semi creepy companion he can grab is a snake. I have had snakes that have gotten out of their enclosures and its amazing the places they can get into...and with the description of warforged he could be curled up inside him and slither out anytime you like.

Since I don't know exactly what kind of druid he is I can't think up any more stuff off the top of my head. Though like a druid of Talos I would see more confrontational, almost spoiling for a fight, while a druid of say, Mielikki I could see him as the kind of warforged that came to this understanding of nature through long years of being alone in the wilderness, almost at peace with everything around him and even when others are around he seems to act as though he is alone, talking out loud, about whatever may need to be done, but not exactly at anyone in particular, always distracted by something natural around him.