PDA

View Full Version : Runescarred berserker impossible?

j_spencer93
2014-09-08, 02:38 PM
I have seen this stated twice, once even on the Chef post on here, and do not understand why it was said to be impossible to enter by RAW. What makes it impossible?

Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Craft (scarring) 5 ranks , Intimidate 5 ranks , Sense Motive 2 ranks
Feats: Iron Will , Survivor
Feats: At least one berserker lodge feat from Chapter 3: Regions and Feats.
Special: The character must be able to rage at least once per day, as the barbarian class ability, and must be a member of a berserker lodge. (For more information about berserker lodges, see Chapter 10: Rashemen.) Also, the character must qualify to select regional feats from Rashemen (Rashemen is his home region, or he has 2 ranks in Knowledge [local— Rashemen]).

Fax Celestis
2014-09-08, 02:43 PM
Presumably since Craft (Scarring) isn't a thing. Craft is for objects you manufacture. Unless you want to say you can spend a week scarring yourself and make money at it?

EDIT: Oh, a quick Google brought up this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?209243-Runescarred-Berserker-3-5), where it's indicated Survivor isn't an eligible feat for a Rashemi character. However, it seems to be ignoring that you can spend two ranks on Knowledge (Local: Rashemen) to be able to take Rashemi regional feats.

j_spencer93
2014-09-08, 02:47 PM
Ah ok so not impossible, just kinda dumbly changed. Also i really kinda just took craft (scarring) as possible since there are a lot of crafts out there.

Deadline
2014-09-08, 02:49 PM
EDIT: Oh, a quick Google brought up this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?209243-Runescarred-Berserker-3-5), where it's indicated Survivor isn't an eligible feat for a Rashemi character. However, it seems to be ignoring that you can spend two ranks on Knowledge (Local: Rashemen) to be able to take Rashemi regional feats.

I think it has to do with the order of leveling up. You don't have the skill ranks when you would be required to select the feat, so you can't take it. And since Survivor must be taken at 1st level ...

Jeff the Green
2014-09-08, 03:25 PM
Presumably since Craft (Scarring) isn't a thing. Craft is for objects you manufacture. Unless you want to say you can spend a week scarring yourself and make money at it?

Well, you could scar other people. Apparently scarification is a thing in certain subcultures who don't think piercings and tattoos are painful enough. Similar to Craft (tattoo), which is required for tattooing your spellbook onto your skin.

I think it has to do with the order of leveling up. You don't have the skill ranks when you would be required to select the feat, so you can't take it. And since Survivor must be taken at 1st level ...

This kind of thing isn't uncommon in example characters; it seems to be the most forgotten rule over at WotC. First time I've seen it in a PrC, though.

nedz
2014-09-08, 04:16 PM
As mentioned in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14832521&postcount=673) post in Dysfunctional Rules Thread 2 page 23

However, it seems to be ignoring that you can spend two ranks on Knowledge (Local: Rashemen) to be able to take Rashemi regional feats.

Not in 3.5 apparently — that rule is 3.0 only.

Fax Celestis
2014-09-08, 04:23 PM
As mentioned in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14832521&postcount=673) post in Dysfunctional Rules Thread 2 page 23

Not in 3.5 apparently — that rule is 3.0 only.

What? That is dumb and also stupid.

Greenish
2014-09-08, 04:23 PM
Even if it were possible to qualify for regional feats through Knowledge: Local, it's more than a little silly for a PrC to require you to have to specific, separate "home" regions.

j_spencer93
2014-09-08, 04:55 PM
Seems like this class got caught in the shift from 3.0 to 3.5 then

Karnith
2014-09-08, 05:37 PM
Seems like this class got caught in the shift from 3.0 to 3.5 then
Pretty much. They very nearly updated the rules properly, by making the Rashemi lodge feats no longer be regional feats (had they remained such, you'd never be able to have them and another regional feat, or even take them in the first place), but for whatever reason they chose to have Survivor no longer be a regional feat for Rashemen.

The regional feat systems were by and large silly, though, and you don't lose much by just ignoring regional prereqs.

Eldariel
2014-09-08, 07:47 PM
Pretty much. They very nearly updated the rules properly, by making the Rashemi lodge feats no longer be regional feats (had they remained such, you'd never be able to have them and another regional feat, or even take them in the first place), but for whatever reason they chose to have Survivor no longer be a regional feat for Rashemen.

The regional feat systems were by and large silly, though, and you don't lose much by just ignoring regional prereqs.

I'd even go as far as to say you gain a ton by ignoring stupid prerequisites; Runescarred Berserker is an awesome class, Rage Mage done more or less right (though of course there are differences) and it'd be a royal shame if it weren't accessible because of silly conversion hiccups. Many regional feats have absolutely no reason to have the regional restriction anyways, and some even enable certain archetypes (such as Battle Jump for many Dragoon-builds); it's absurd to limit a whole archetype to a mere one region on one plane.

Karnith
2014-09-08, 08:41 PM
Many regional feats have absolutely no reason to have the regional restriction anyways, and some even enable certain archetypes (such as Battle Jump for many Dragoon-builds); it's absurd to limit a whole archetype to a mere one region on one plane.
Battle Jump is actually my favorite of the nonsensical regional feats. In addition to the whole "I don't see why only a certain type of creature from a certain area should be able to learn how to hit things better this way" rigamarole, Battle Jump is a feat that's only available to creatures with Region: Taer... but Region: Taer represents Taer that have been exiled from their clan, so the vast majority of Taer can't actually use their supposedly signature fighting style.
Yes, I know that PGtF sort of fixed Region: Taer
I guess something about becoming renegades makes them able to fall in combat more effectively?

Gemini476
2014-09-08, 09:07 PM
What? That is dumb and also stupid.
It's because Knowledge(Local) is universal now. It used to be that you had separate skills for Knowledge (Local (United States of America)) and Knowledge (Local(China)) - now you'd use the same skill for pretty much anywhere in the world.

They unified a bunch of skills in the edition shift, just like they did with all the non-weapon proficiencies of 2e in the shift to 3.0.

nedz
2014-09-08, 09:20 PM
Regional Feats (and by implication PRCs which depend upon them) are meant to add flavour to a setting, of course if you are not using that setting the point is moot. DMs are supposed to adapt PRCs to their own settings — of course it's too much work unless someone actually wants to use one.