PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Cleric Build Help!

sammyp03
2014-09-08, 03:19 PM
I am currently a lvl 1 human cleric in a campaign where we are pretty much just some joes that got thrown into adventuring (theres more to the story but thats the jist so far) so our stats are very low. ( we only rolled 3d6 and could only swap ability scores once) so my stats are
str 12
dex 11
con 10
int 8
wis 17
cha 8

I dont want to be a heal bot I would like to lean more towards battle cleric but am open to suggestions. what are some builds that could work well with my current stats

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-08, 03:31 PM
Earth Dwarf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfEarth) from Unearthed Arcana, so you have Str 14, Dex 9, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 6. You get all the standard Dwarf traits, modified by what's detailed there, which means you get a total +8 versus being bull rushed or tripped.

Start out as a standard Cleric, your domains should be Cold from Spell Compendium and trade your second domain for the Earth Devotion feat in Complete Champion. Use the spontaneous domain casting alternate class feature in Player's Handbook II to spontaneously convert prepared spells into spells from the Cold domain instead of Cure or Inflict spells, and this also allows you to prepare Cure spells in your domain spell slots. Start out with scale mail, a heavy shield, a heavy mace, and at least one dagger, and don't forget a holy symbol or two.

At 3rd level trade your Cold domain's granted power for the Divine Restoration alternate class feature in Dungeonscape, which allows you to spontaneously cast Lesser Restoration, Restoration, and Greater Restoration by sacrificing a prepared spell of the same level.

If an opponent charges, you can use Earth Devotion to create difficult terrain in their path, automatically preventing them from making their charge attack since you cannot charge through difficult terrain, and also forcing them to make multiple Balance checks to avoid falling. Spend uses of your turn undead ability to use that more often, since you'll be terrible at turning undead with that Cha score.

sammyp03
2014-09-08, 03:48 PM
I apologize i should have mentioned that im already human

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-08, 10:40 PM
I apologize i should have mentioned that im already human

Why be a Human with those stats?

If you can switch to a different Humanoid (Human) or half-human race, you could combine Lesser Aasimar in the back of PGtF (identical to the level-adjusted Aasimar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm#aasimar), but Humanoid instead of Outsider and +0 LA) with the Half-Humans and Humanlike Races sidebar in RoD p150. That will get you all the benefits of being an Aasimar, but instead of an Outsider (Native) you'll be a Humanoid (Human).

I'm still going to recommend the Cold domain with spontaneous domain casting, and at 3rd level swapping its turn fire/rebuke cold ability for divine restoration. Prepare Ice Slick from Frostburn at least once each day, and focus mostly on crowd controls and party buffs. For your second domain, something with extremely useful/versatile spells would be a good choice since you're not going to be very good at anything besides casting spells. The Illusion domain is actually quite good if you're creative, otherwise I'd probably go with the Spell domain.

Curbstomp
2014-09-08, 11:22 PM
Well...

Spontaneous Domain alternate class feature for the Time Domain

Wrath is your other Domain.

Prepare Rhino's Rush in your Domain slot and two other useful spells with your 1st level slots (maybe Lesser Vigor). If you don't wind up using them you can switch them to True Strike from the Time Domain. Giving you two virtually guaranteed hits per day if you don't need the healing. One of which can be a x2 damage charge with Rhino's Rush. There are downsides like using up your first round for True Strike, but overall I think probably worth it. If I recall correctly Time Domain gives you Improved Initiative as a bonus feat which will help offset that by occasionally winning initiative.

Feats (I am assuming no Flaws):
Human: Augment Healing (make sure you meet prerequisites) This combined with the spell Lesser Vigor cast on yourself will give you functional fast healing 3 for 10+CL rounds per casting for a total of 33 hit points restored. Pretty decent for keeping you on your feet at lower levels or for healing your party's tank.
1st Level: Weapon Focus because you are going to need the to-hit

If it were me I'd go Barbarian for one level, Fighter for two levels, then continue Cleric making Cleric my favored class.
Barbarian for Rage and HP b/c you can use the boosts when you are out of spells
Fighter at character level 3 for Improved Toughness (on Fighter list if I recall correctly) and Practiced Spellcaster as the character feat
Fighter at character level 4 for any applicable combat feat

The other approach would be mono-cleric and at character level three taking Improved Toughness or Scribe Scroll
Scribe Scroll is strong for infrequently used spells or ones you don't want to prepare with SA or longer casting times.
Once you hit second level spells you gain a bit of versatility with Bull's Strength, Close Wounds, and Lesser Restoration as examples.
You can also pump your STR +6 for three rounds a day using your Wrath Domain ability at this level taking a negative 12 to WIS temporarily. This is a decent boost to hit and to damage output.

defiantdan
2014-09-09, 07:45 AM
Step one. Fix your cha. Str will largely be irrelevant given the 24 hour buffs you're going to have up. Domains will be Planning and undeath. Feats will be Human: Persistant Spell, 1st: Divine Metamagic: Persistant Spell. You can now do whatever you want with the rest of your character. Grab nothing but extra turnings if you'd like. Spend most of your cash on items that grant extra turning attempts.

Cleric 3/Sacred exorcist 2/Bone Knight 6/Contemplative 1/Bone Knight4/???

Gwendol
2014-09-09, 09:24 AM
I am currently a lvl 1 human cleric in a campaign where we are pretty much just some joes that got thrown into adventuring (theres more to the story but thats the jist so far) so our stats are very low. ( we only rolled 3d6 and could only swap ability scores once) so my stats are
str 12
dex 11
con 10
int 8
wis 17
cha 8

I dont want to be a heal bot I would like to lean more towards battle cleric but am open to suggestions. what are some builds that could work well with my current stats

Your stats are not that bad, although I would avoid the 10 in CON: that's a killer.

What feats did you pick up? You should have two.