PDA

View Full Version : "wish"ful thinking

luthais
2014-09-08, 04:54 PM
My dm has been generous enough to grant my request for 3 rings of three wishes. My arguement for the rings may or may not have been centered around my intimate mechanical knowledge of his car's braking systems. But that's not important right now.

I have some wishes already thought out, and just wanna run it by you guys and check the general viability.

First, a spelljammer shark ship, powered by greater helms. The ones that suck up spells, not life force. It should be in good to perfect working order.

Second, an accomplished crew of honoarble men, but not lawful.

Third, enough gold to keep them paid and upkeep on the ship for a few months until the loot starts rolling in.

Also, the specification than none of these things be gained using illegal methods. I'm thinking there shouldn't be TOO much haggling over these issues. The last one, however, is gonna be a doozy to get by my dm. Ten levels of the dread pirate prc. I'm using it as flavoring , and it really isn't the most useful class to begin with. Id give up the added hd, so that should make it easier to swallow. Lemme know what you think playground.

Andezzar
2014-09-08, 05:06 PM
The first wish is fine, if such a ship is a single magic item, but i doubt that is the case because of the helms.

The second and third wish are outside the scope of safe wishes. So the DM is free to add any disadvantage he can come up with.

luthais
2014-09-08, 08:07 PM
Iirc, in our last campaign, those cost 20k gold, and the helms were included. It may be different with other DMs. The crew could be had by normal means, just takes a lot longer. The gold, I can get by wishing for magic items and selling them. Although that'll burn more wishes than id like.

The big thing for me would be the prc. Is there anything, along with the hd, that I could give up to make it a viable wish? Id like to keep the class abilities. His background is going to be a sailor turned pirate. We are starting at level 10, if that helps any.

Bad Wolf
2014-09-08, 09:24 PM
You could wish for a crew of Constructs instead. You don't have to pay them, or give them food, freeing your third wish.

Andezzar
2014-09-09, 12:36 AM
The big thing for me would be the prc. Is there anything, along with the hd, that I could give up to make it a viable wish? Id like to keep the class abilities. His background is going to be a sailor turned pirate. We are starting at level 10, if that helps any.Ask your DM. That is not only outside of safe wishes, that is even outside RAW. Besides the fallen paladin trading paladin levels for blackguard levels there is no way (I know) to get a PrC without fulfilling the prerequisites.

jedipotter
2014-09-09, 01:30 AM
1. There are a couple ships listed as ''magic items'', like Astral Skifs, Gate Zeppelins, Skyships, flying stronghold spaces and such. So you can wish for a ''magic item'' ship with no problem....

2. You want a construct crew, or a zombie crew or a ghost crew or an animated ship.....or well, anything other then ''men''.

You could roll one and two together to make a SharkJammer, with a major helm that is animated and has a crew of unseen servants....and heck go one more step and make it an animated maw so your Sharkjammer bite other ships.

And with the wish that is left.....well, the sky is the limit....

Make the Sharkship an intelligent magic item ''what are you doing, Dave?''

Or anything else you might want....

Andezzar
2014-09-09, 01:40 AM
2. You want a construct crew, or a zombie crew or a ghost crew or an animated ship.....or well, anything other then ''men''. How are constructs or undead a safe thing to wish for?

luthais
2014-09-09, 04:41 AM
Ask your DM. That is not only outside of safe wishes, that is even outside RAW. Besides the fallen paladin trading paladin levels for blackguard levels there is no way (I know) to get a PrC without fulfilling the prerequisites.

The prereqs are: any non-lawful, bab +4, swim 4, use rope 4, profession: sailor 8, appraise 4, quick draw, weapon finesse, and own a ship worth at least 10k gold. At lvl10, those should be very easy to wrangle.

Segev
2014-09-09, 08:05 AM
The ship sounds like it's within the realm of safe wishes if your DM treats the pricings the same, so you're good there.

For the crew, I suggest you just take the Leadership feat, yourself. Consider wishing for an item of +4 charisma - I suggest a Rod of Splendor (exactly 25,000 gp), as that would let you deck yourself out in the finest pirate finery, as well as to treat your men to a sumptuous meal at least once a week. Sadly, a Rod of Rulership is out of the price range. If your DM goes with the interpretation that magic items of any cost are within the limits, get a Rod of Rulership; it will let you shanghai a crew or force obedience from your crew in harsh circumstances. If you have 5 spare wishes, 5 wishes for increased charisma would also bolster your Leadership score by 2-3 points.

As for Dread Pirate...can you just take the class? Is there a specific class feature you want but don't want the rest of it? You could wish for that class feature, and hope the DM is feeling generous.

Wishing for the money to pay your crew isn't too big of a deal; up to 25,000 gp is a "safe" wish, so you could literally wish for 25k gp per wish you want to spend on it, and that should pay a crew of sailors for quite some time.

Andezzar
2014-09-09, 08:40 AM
For the crew, I suggest you just take the Leadership feat, yourself. Consider wishing for an item of +4 charisma - I suggest a Rod of Splendor (exactly 25,000 gp), as that would let you deck yourself out in the finest pirate finery, as well as to treat your men to a sumptuous meal at least once a week. Sadly, a Rod of Rulership is out of the price range. If your DM goes with the interpretation that magic items of any cost are within the limits, get a Rod of Rulership; it will let you shanghai a crew or force obedience from your crew in harsh circumstances. If you have 5 spare wishes, 5 wishes for increased charisma would also bolster your Leadership score by 2-3 points.There is no price limit on magic items. The 25k gp limit is for a mundane item only.

As for Dread Pirate...can you just take the class? Is there a specific class feature you want but don't want the rest of it? You could wish for that class feature, and hope the DM is feeling generous.The problem is, as I understand the OP, that he wants 10 levels of dread pirate at ECL 10.

Wishing for the money to pay your crew isn't too big of a deal; up to 25,000 gp is a "safe" wish, so you could literally wish for 25k gp per wish you want to spend on it, and that should pay a crew of sailors for quite some time.How much crew do you need? How much monetary payment does the crew want if their needs are satisfied? There are a couple of magic items that can feed several people.

@Prerequisites: If your character has the prerequisites he can take levels in the PrC and does not need a wish. If he does not, there is no safe way to use wish to rebuild the character. You could however use the rebuilding mechanism in PHB II or simply ask your DM whether you can rebuild your character. It seems you as a player are unsatisfied with your character build. That is an OOC issue and should be handled OOC.

Bronk
2014-09-09, 09:24 AM
First, a spelljammer shark ship, powered by greater helms. The ones that suck up spells, not life force. It should be in good to perfect working order.

Second, an accomplished crew of honoarble men, but not lawful.

Third, enough gold to keep them paid and upkeep on the ship for a few months until the loot starts rolling in.

Ten levels of the dread pirate prc. I'm using it as flavoring , and it really isn't the most useful class to begin with.

Good luck with these wishes! It sounds like you have a fairly easygoing relationship with your DM, so maybe it'll work out.

1: Spelljammer ships can be relatively inexpensive, but they aren't magic items by themselves. They greater helm you want is normally a separate magic item worth 250,000 gold, and although you can wish for whatever magic item you want, you have to pay double the normal XP cost of creating the item. Long story short, you are very lucky your DM gives these as freebies!

2: I'm sure a wish could replicate a 'find the path' spell or physically bring you to a place to hire people, and you could use 'detect evil' to weed out the riffraff. On the other hand, in the old spelljammer books there is a magic item you can get that includes unseen magical crew members.

3: You can safely wish for a non magical item worth up to 25,000 gold... then sell it. It would actually be more cost effective to sell the whole 'ring of three wishes' though (half of 75k for three wished up items vs half of about 98k for the ring).

4: Good luck with this one! You could try wishing that you could swap levels like a paladin and a blackguard, or a beefed up psychic reformation or in lieu of a quest. Otherwise, you could try using a separate wish to get each power from the dread pirate class. You might have some trouble with the 'luck of the wind' ability, because it is almost like having a once per day use of wish's safe 'undo misfortune' power (or having a luck blade plus two or three luck feats).

Andezzar
2014-09-09, 09:36 AM
3: You can safely wish for a non magical item worth up to 25,000 gold... then sell it. It would actually be more cost effective to sell the whole 'ring of three wishes' though (half of 75k for three wished up items vs half of about 98k for the ring).You could use trade goods like gems to get the full 75k.

Bronk
2014-09-09, 10:58 AM
You could use trade goods like gems to get the full 75k.

Good point! I know that diamonds at least can be of practically any value, so you'd only need to wish for one at a time.

Andezzar
2014-09-09, 03:35 PM
Exactly. A big chunk of obsidian would also work, methinks.

luthais
2014-09-10, 07:24 AM
As a side question, which class would you say works better with dread pirate: dragon shaman or dfa?