PDA

View Full Version : Barbarians, Base Speed, and Little Armor Tables.

daggaz
2007-03-10, 06:04 AM
So... I have an orc, base land speed of 30ft. The orc is a barbarian, increasing his speed to 40ft, providing he doesn't wear heavy armor, which he doesnt. So far, so good. Great. Now, I put on a breastplate. I've applied my Fast Movement before wearing the armor, as per description, and then I look down the armor description tables, to find out my new speed due to the suit. But..... there is no column for 40ft base speed. Is it safe to assume that I get the same bonus for 30-->40 as for 20-->30, that is, a speed of 25ft, wearing the armor? If so, pffffft... whats the point of fast movement? Pretty much half the monster manual can reach me without even trying, and the other half only needs to charge..

greenknight
2007-03-10, 07:44 AM
Your base movement rate with a Breastplate is 30' round. It's not much, but still better than others who wear Breastplates. If you really want fast movement, either play a Monk or a Druid (Wild Shape can allow some really fast move speeds).

daggaz
2007-03-10, 11:12 AM
Ok. just out of curiousity, how do you get that figure btw?

Ryuuk
2007-03-10, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you'll find it in the PHB, under the Barbarian's Fast movement.

Matthew
2007-03-10, 02:21 PM
Here, Daggaz, check out the Encumbrance Table:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#encumbrancebyArmor

As you can see, a Character with a Base Speed of 40 ft. has an Effective Speed of 30 ft. when carrying a Medium Load (i.e. when wearing Medium Armour).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-10, 03:29 PM
pffffft... whats the point of fast movement? Pretty much half the monster manual can reach me without even trying, and the other half only needs to charge..

Titanium... ehhhh.... I mean Mithral is your friendly material in need.

Starbuck_II
2007-03-10, 04:20 PM
Ok. just out of curiousity, how do you get that figure btw?
You add in Fast movement at the end.

30 feet in no armor -10 meduim armor + 10= 30 feet breastplate.

Quietus
2007-03-10, 07:46 PM
Fast Movement affects your base speed. It's easy enough to figure out how things work with encumbrance though; the base speed is reduced by 1/3. Round down.

daggaz
2007-03-10, 10:05 PM
You add in Fast movement at the end.

30 feet in no armor -10 meduim armor + 10= 30 feet breastplate.

Umm.. not according to the SRD you dont.. It specifically says you apply Fast Movement before you apply the effective armor rate, which is why I need better armor tables, not encumbrance tables.

"Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn. "

And Lord S, heheh. yeah.. I know. but it will be a long time before this char sees any mithril anythings.

Kantolin
2007-03-10, 10:14 PM
<H5>Fast Movement (Ex (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities))

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
</H5>
Therefore, the SRD actually says that you analyze the normal land speed for your race, then add ten (Unless you've got a heavy load/armour).

So you'd look at your 'normal' speed, then add +10 for fast movement.

daggaz
2007-03-10, 10:27 PM
erm yeah... omg. Its not my base speed im having trouble with, its AFTER I put on armor. Like Í said. Im speed 30. Fast movement up to speed 40. Then you put on armor, THEN you find out your new speed. And the tables dont go that high in the SRD. (But apparently they do in the PHB in the barb section).

greenknight
2007-03-10, 11:36 PM
(But apparently they do in the PHB in the barb section).

It gives a couple of examples in the PHB, the first is of a Human Barbarian. When wearing no or light armor, move rate is 40. When wearing medium armor (like a breastplate), move rate is 30. Since an Orc has the same base move rate as a Human, you'd use the same numbers.

Matthew
2007-03-11, 07:58 AM
erm yeah... omg. Its not my base speed im having trouble with, its AFTER I put on armor. Like Í said. Im speed 30. Fast movement up to speed 40. Then you put on armor, THEN you find out your new speed. And the tables dont go that high in the SRD. (But apparently they do in the PHB in the barb section).

Daggaz, the tables for Armour ARE the Encumbrance Tables. They have just been placed with the Armour for convenience. Light Armour = Light Load, Medium Armour = Medium Load, Heavy Armour = Heavy Load. It's just been done for simplicity.

Suvarov454
2007-03-11, 12:15 PM
Fast Movement affects your base speed. It's easy enough to figure out how things work with encumbrance though; the base speed is reduced by 1/3. Round down.

Actually, it's base speed reduced by 30%, round to the nearest 5 ft movement. You can tell by looking at the Carrying Loads (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#encumbrancebyArmor) table and looking at the 20 ft. base move column and the 100 ft. base move column. One third of 20 ft. is almost ft., and if we rounded down we'd end up with only 10 ft. of movement under a medium or heavy load, instead of the 15 ft. move that we all know. Similarly, one third of 100 ft. is over 33 ft.; rounding down we'd end up with 65 ft. of move under a medium or heavy load, instead of the 70 ft. move listed.

Starbuck_II
2007-03-11, 03:14 PM
While the PHB says apply before: it follows the rule that you apply after.
Look at the examples.

30 goes to 20 in meduim/heavy.
After you become 30 in meduim if applied after you confuse players.

Only problem occurs when you get to slow races (gnome and halfing), they become 25 instead of 20 in meduim with fast movement. But I think for the most part it makes sense.

Rigeld2
2007-03-11, 03:34 PM
After you become 30 in meduim if applied after you confuse players.
How does it confuse players?
Look at the encumberance table. Replace "Load" with "Armor". 100% accurate, and you apply the speed boost before figuring it.

Starbuck_II
2007-03-11, 03:49 PM
How does it confuse players?
Look at the encumberance table. Replace "Load" with "Armor". 100% accurate, and you apply the speed boost before figuring it.
See that is the problem.

You are expecting to look at armor table not Encumbrance table. See that indecision there; that was confusion. Politicians use that to win elections.

Rigeld2
2007-03-11, 09:30 PM
See that is the problem.

You are expecting to look at armor table not Encumbrance table. See that indecision there; that was confusion. Politicians use that to win elections.
Theres two kinds of encumberance - by armor and by weight. They use the same table to get a speed.

Wheres the confusion?

And politicians use the fact that people are dumb to win elections. Not that all politicians are bad, but thats a thread for another board.