PDA

View Full Version : How does the Playground feel about GM bribes?

Rainman3769
2014-09-08, 08:01 PM
Question is basically in the subject. Is it okay for players to bribe the GM (pay for his/her share of the pizza, buy him/her a six pack, etc) in exchange for small in-game rewards? Say maybe.....starting with Inspiration in D&D 5th edition, or maybe an extra Fate Point for Warhammer 40k RPGs, something like that. Thoughts?

lvl 1 human
2014-09-08, 08:21 PM
As a DM i will say, let them try haha... but as a rule i don't let anything from real life spill into a campaign positive or negative.

TheCountAlucard
2014-09-08, 08:23 PM
I try not to play favorites, so I'll grant extra bennies to the entire group if people bring goodies.

DigoDragon
2014-09-08, 08:25 PM
Don't play favorites, it never ends well.

Though if you're low on cash for pizza and the group wants to pitch in for your share, a group-wise bonus isn't technically playing favorites...

Bulldog Psion
2014-09-08, 08:30 PM
Playing favorites for any reason is a disaster. Doing so for bribes is going to make everyone loathe the GM.

Beyond that, it's definitely not cricket. Damn bad form. I, at least, would turn my nose up at it even if there was no repercussion.

Kid Jake
2014-09-08, 08:34 PM
The only time I could see that working is if you're playing Paranoia, where it's basically assumed that only the GM's favorite is going to make it out alive anyway.

Broken Crown
2014-09-08, 09:13 PM
As I recall, Amber Diceless Roleplaying included official rules whereby, with the GM's approval, players could get additional points to build their characters if they performed various out-of-game tasks like keeping a campaign log or drawing character portraits. These weren't exactly bribes, but they did take some of the workload off the GM, and enriched the game, so the players got in-game rewards for it. In turn, this encouraged the players to get more involved in the game. It worked pretty well, in my experience.

I've heard of Amber games where buying pizza for the group (or just the GM) was considered a rewardable contribution to the game, though I haven't played in one.

Silus
2014-09-08, 09:19 PM
I personally wouldn't be opposed to handing out an extra PF Hero Point if someone brought sodas or sprung for pizza for the group. Maybe take it on a vote like "Ok, all in favor of giving Bob a Hero Point for bringing the sodas?" *Hands raise* "Okay Bob, you get a Hero point."

Daishain
2014-09-08, 09:24 PM
Yeah, nope. Bribes tend to be very bad for freindships. Especially in a context where it is likely to inspire jealousy (and/or fishing for more bribes)

The only case where I think it would be ok is if the "bribe" was something done that benefited the entire group, and the others agreed that some kind of reward was justified.

blackseven
2014-09-08, 09:25 PM
I personally wouldn't be opposed to handing out an extra PF Hero Point if someone brought sodas or sprung for pizza for the group. Maybe take it on a vote like "Ok, all in favor of giving Bob a Hero Point for bringing the sodas?" *Hands raise* "Okay Bob, you get a Hero point."

This is probably the best way to go about it. I think it's fine as long as it's all above board, and the in game benefits are minir and expendable.

Red Fel
2014-09-08, 09:30 PM
As a rule, I try to keep out-of-game conduct and in-game benefits (and vice-versa) separate. It's too easy to create the impression of playing favorites, which others have mentioned, and once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. And it doesn't even matter if you're actually playing favorites or not; once people see that their in-game progress can be influenced by out-of-game conduct, there will be people willing to abuse that, and people resentful of those willing to abuse it, and people resentful of you for allowing it.

That said, a bribed GM is a happy GM, and a happy GM is a benevolent dictator. And when the dictator is benevolent, the kingdom is happier. Others have mentioned groupwide benefits, and that's fair. Similarly, a satisfied GM may be willing to be flexible - with anyone, not just with the guy who shelled out for pizza - on things like ambiguous rules, difficult scenarios, or complex character builds. He's in a good mood. He's merciful.

Prince Raven
2014-09-08, 10:57 PM
If my players went to the effort of bribing me with food when none of them actually live in the same state as me, I'd have to give them some sort of reward. Said reward may or may not end up actually being a trap...

Nagash
2014-09-08, 11:35 PM
as a GM i firmly believe in rewarding bribes of food or beer. I spend a lot of time during the week planning this stuff and dont at all mind if someone wants to give me a little reward for it.

sktarq
2014-09-09, 12:04 AM
As I recall, Amber Diceless Roleplaying included official rules whereby, with the GM's approval, players could get additional points to build their characters if they performed various out-of-game tasks like keeping a campaign log or drawing character portraits. ...pizza was considered a rewardable contribution to the game, though I haven't played in one.

This has been a thing for a long time and by no mean limited to the Amber diceless system. Rewarding the mapmaker or the note-taker works well since it insentivizes behavior that rewards the game itself. If you do allow this kind of thing as DM though just be sure that such things are open to all the players. If someone is really hankering for extra xp but one person has been taking notes every session a word to the main note-taker may be in order. You can't play favorites with the extra credit opportunities.

That said, a bribed GM is a happy GM, and a happy GM is a benevolent dictator. ...- on things like ambiguous rules, difficult scenarios, or complex character builds. He's in a good mood. He's merciful. QFT from both sides of the screen

Kaun
2014-09-09, 12:07 AM
Players have bribed me into running certain games by buying me the books.

BWR
2014-09-09, 01:57 AM
In one game we had a 'Bribe the GM with food' table. The rewards were modest aounts of xp, the people who used it would have brought stuff for people anyway, and continued to do so after the rewards were discontinued. No biggie.
The more interesting suggestion was "Bribe the GM with Sex", but it was quickly pointed out that unless the reward was given for services offered (rather than actually performed), it would be a bit unfair to everyone but the GM's girlfriend.

Sartharina
2014-09-09, 02:52 AM
Bennies/inspiration/etc. work. Permanent rewards are a no-go. People who get pissy about not being 'favored' should stop being slackers when it comes to OOC obligations, such as supplying refreshments or map-making or any other 'must-be-done' job that can be answered with "Nah, someone else can do it" or "not me".

WrathMage
2014-09-09, 03:26 AM
Oh man... About 12 years ago I was involved in a VtM Larp where the Storyteller started to offer packages of "upgrades" in the form of arranged diablerie, unusual disciplines, extra XP packages etc all for cold hard cash. This quickly led to a whole bunch of trouble, and started to derail what had been, up until that point, a pretty good game. He later rescinded the offers (although rumours abound that they were still available off the record) and claimed it was all a joke that was misunderstood... but it wasn't.

Suffice to say, bribery is a crime for a lot of things in a lot of places in the real world, and its no less distasteful at the gaming table IMHO. :smallannoyed:

Knaight
2014-09-09, 03:38 AM
Oh man... About 12 years ago I was involved in a VtM Larp where the Storyteller started to offer packages of "upgrades" in the form of arranged diablerie, unusual disciplines, extra XP packages etc all for cold hard cash. This quickly led to a whole bunch of trouble, and started to derail what had been, up until that point, a pretty good game. He later rescinded the offers (although rumours abound that they were still available off the record) and claimed it was all a joke that was misunderstood... but it wasn't.

This is pretty far outside of the purview of this discussion. Cold, hard cash is obviously out of line (though it's less a bribe and more a really weird purchase), but group policy wherein whoever buys/makes the food gets some sort of minor temporary bonus? I don't see the issue.

Gamgee
2014-09-09, 03:55 AM
Doesn't work. Except this one time, but that was years ago. It was also a hilarious and completely cosmetic thing the player wanted. I can't even remember now. I think I got.... some sort of minor thing out of it. Political support I think in a vote for what movie we wanted to see versus another. Heh.

WrathMage
2014-09-09, 08:07 AM
This is pretty far outside of the purview of this discussion. Cold, hard cash is obviously out of line (though it's less a bribe and more a really weird purchase), but group policy wherein whoever buys/makes the food gets some sort of minor temporary bonus? I don't see the issue.

That's a fair point... You are right it's pretty far outside.

I guess more in keeping with the actual point I would say that a small reward for helping the GM or the group (buying drinks, buying food, doing game related chores like mapping, etc) and getting a reward for it is cool if everyone agrees. However I would say doing things to actively bribe the GM? To gain an advantage over your fellow players? That sounds less cool to me.

Eldan
2014-09-09, 08:14 AM
I'd love to be bribed. Why does no one ever bribe me? Clearly, I must be less nice to my players, so they'll have a reason.

"Oh, you want an alternate class feature? Well, bring me cake!"

Segev
2014-09-09, 08:25 AM
First, seriously: This is a "if you're all okay with it" sort of thing. If the GM accepts bribes of food and the like and the players are okay with it, go for it. The whole thing is a game, and the GM does do most of the work to make it happen; "bribery" is often a veiled way to thank him for his effort. The rewards from the GM are not likely to be disruptive to the game if he knows what he's doing, and certainly not if everybody's okay with it.

If your table is into that kind of thing, you might even have an official bribery price list.

An example of GM bribery that was solicited by the GM: A number of sessions ago, somebody needed to be caught up after an extended absence; the GM said whoever helped them with that would get "something." A perk in the form of a neat but minor magic item materialized last session. If the GM hadn't called it out as the promised payment, nobody would have even connected it; a little WBL disparity isn't unheard-of, and it is neat but not game-shaking.

Second, a non-gaming story: I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant for an intermediate physics lab. The structure of this course is that the first half to 2/3 of it is spent doing cookbook labs and filling out the lab packets that come with them. These are not due at any particular regular time, so eventually the professor let me establish a hard deadline of "by spring break." Because I was going to have to grade all of them, and I didn't want to be doing it over finals week. My spring break still involved a lot of work.

Because we all - students and myself alike - knew that it was going to be a lot of work for me, jokes about the workload and what I'd do with the labs as I got tired of it were flying. I jokingly mentioned that I accepted bribes (and quickly pointed out that no, I wasn't serious).

Nevertheless, I got several lab reports with monopoly money taped to them. It was amusing. ^_^ I think I gave them monopoly points (not redeemable for real points) on their labs for it.

Beige
2014-09-09, 08:26 AM
GM's should not show favourites - it just leads to problems. if your gonna give someone a reward, give it to the whole group. don't be an ass :smallannoyed:

though this might be bitterness from not getting bribed talking :smallbiggrin:

Prince Raven
2014-09-09, 08:57 AM
I wasn't aware how widespread this issue was. Maybe we need to form some sort of society for GMs who are never bribed.

lvl 1 human
2014-09-09, 09:09 AM
I wasn't aware how widespread this issue was. Maybe we need to form some sort of society for GMs who are never bribed.

You have my vote

DigoDragon
2014-09-09, 09:13 AM

Taking a majority vote like that usually works out decently well. :smallsmile:

Players have bribed me into running certain games by buying me the books.

It could also be seen as a contractual agreement. :3
That's how I started into Shadowrun 4e. One of my players bought me the basic book under an agreement that I'll run campaigns with it. Worked out.

Broken Twin
2014-09-09, 09:54 AM
While I am definitely against outright bribes, I will admit that I've nothing against people getting food and whatnot for the GM. A happy GM is a healthy party, I always say. I mean, I'm not gonna go easy on them just because I got fed, but I'll definitely be in a better mood, which tends to make me a better GM.

Having said that, I try my damnest to never allow my personal opinion of my players affect their PCs. I expect them to leave their IRL relationships (positive and negative) out of the game, it's only fair I do the same. If I do give rewards for out of game favors, they're given to the group.

Example: One of my players surprised me with my favorite food when we met up (we tend to eat supper together than play). I thanked him graciously, and when the game got underway, I informed the table that everyone would be starting with an extra bennie, because up until that point I had been having a really bad day, and the pick-me-up drastically improved my mood. They were aware of why they got the bonus, and instead of being jealous towards him for 'bribing' me, they were all happy they got a bit of an extra oomph.

Eldan
2014-09-09, 10:17 AM
You have my vote

I'd be up for it.

Can I also include that I'd probably be liable to start laughing maniacally if someone actually bribed me? It's just something I always wanted.

valadil
2014-09-09, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't formalize the reward system because I wouldn't want it to be gamey. But I think showing your GM appreciation is perfectly reasonable. I've gotten my GM books or minis. It's not that I want a reward, it's that the reward was prepaid to me as hours of gaming.

I think a mature GM can be the recipient of favors without playing favorites. If he plays favorites, that sort of behavior will probably show up regardless of if you buy his share of pizza. Often the GM/player relationship isn't going to exist in a bubble and these people will interact outside of game. A good GM won't let that bleed over into in game rewards either.

Segev
2014-09-09, 10:54 AM
If he plays favorites, that sort of behavior will probably show up regardless of if you buy his share of pizza.

From an analytic standpoint, with a favorites-playing GM, bribery is a means to (not-so-)subtly cause him to see you more favorably, and thus have his natural favorites-playing tendencies benefit, rather than hinder, you. It won't always work, especially not by itself, but it can influence.

After all, it's one of the more subtle forms of bribery used in real-world power structures. Give gifts without explicitly asking something in return, and then LATER press upon their good feelings towards you for favorable outcomes of their decisions. Done in politics, it's why US govt. contractors cannot offer to pay for, nor accept offers to have paid for them, even such seemingly minor things as restaurant bills while out socializing with customers and vendors. In college football, the gifts and high treatment given to prospective high school stars are obviously inducements, but there's a lot of "accept this as a token of our esteem" type stuff that happens regardless of their choice. It ostensibly has no strings attached (e.g. invitations to major parties which happen and are done before the decision is made), but it's designed to favorably dispose the individual towards the recruiter.

So it can work, even if the GM just plays favorites without a clear quid pro quo system.

runeghost
2014-09-09, 11:02 AM
While my groups often joke about "GM Bribery", I've never been in a group that actually engaged in it. But as others have pointed out, I've been in several gaming groups where bringing something for the whole group (generally food or drink) was rewarded with a little 'in-game' experience. Typically 1 point of Karma, Drama, or Xp for Shadowrun, 7th Sea, or GURPS, or either a few hundred xp, or a 5% bonus to earned xp for the evening in D&D.

Additional comment - I've also been in a few groups where the GM wasn't expected to chip in on pizza or soda, on the basis that he was putting a fair amount of work into prepping the evening's session, while the players just had to show up and have fun.

Sartharina
2014-09-09, 11:54 AM
GM's should not show favourites - it just leads to problems. if your gonna give someone a reward, give it to the whole group. don't be an ass :smallannoyed:

If you're not getting DM-Bribery bennies, it means you're not pulling your OOC weight with the group. Nobody likes your Alligator Arms (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-UJtJlTlzk).

Frozen_Feet
2014-09-09, 12:10 PM
The answer to bribes is "Yes please!"

More seriously, plenty of my players have tried to bribe me with candy or food. It's usually tells they know they've screwed up in the game and can't think of any way to get out of the situation. Other times, it happens due to envy of some other player's character's success.

I firmly tell them that bribing me will not influence the in-game events one way or another... but not always before eating the bribe. :smallamused:

EccentricCircle
2014-09-09, 12:16 PM
Players at our table will often, when in a dangerous situation, make a point of handing the DM whatever packet of sweets is already making its way around the table. No real corruption though.

valadil
2014-09-09, 12:25 PM
I also wanted to add that bribing the GM is different than bribing the table. Some players will bring snacks or beer for everyone. While I can see why someone would object to a GM bribe, sharing something with everyone seems like a way to get on everyone's good side. Is anyone opposed to bribing the table?

Velaryon
2014-09-09, 01:02 PM
I don't think anyone would support giving bribing the GM with food/drinks/money/etc. to get them to allow a rule change, extra ability, or free gear for a character. That's just not cool.

But the GM giving a modest reward of XP or a similar minor benefit for things like supplying food, running out to restock drinks while your character has downtime, writing a campaign log, or something like that? That seems fair to me.

It's tradition in one group I play with to give out small amounts of free XP for making the GM laugh, even when we're not playing the game. We might even just be hanging out playing board games, and if someone says or does something uproariously funny, they might get 50 XP for their D&D character, for example. Heck, we've even gotten people to join the game based on giving them XP for a game "in case they ever make a character."

As long as such rewards are fairly distributed and don't show obvious favoritism to some people over others, I don't see a problem with it.

Rainman3769
2014-09-09, 03:21 PM
So I am getting the slight impression that single bennies are bad, group bennies are good ;)

I haven't actually been bribed myself. In my 5th ed. campaign out of 6 players, I currently have one player who is keeping a campaign journal (although this job is open to anyone who wants it on a session by session basis) another who is responsible for moving all the minis around, and another who is going to start keeping an Excel spreadsheet monitoring the party assets and in-game economy. They have been getting rewarded with starting each session with Inspiration, seems a fair trade to me. What made me ask the question initially was one of my other players joked about bribing me with a local microbrew, lol.

So what are some other jobs I can divy out to the other players? I wouldn't mind everyone starting with Inspiration every session, one because it means everyone is serving the campaign other than just playing, and two no one will feel left out!

satcharna
2014-09-09, 04:06 PM
For my first ever session, it turned out that players were expected to bring snacks, and share with the rest of the table. Me bringing nuts the next session ended with my character getting penalised because apparently pistachios aren't very tasty to anyone but me. All in all not a big problem, as long as everyone is clear with what's expected of them.
The GM ended up rewarding another player for bringing beer once, but as that was rather extravagant of him everyone was very much in favour of his character getting the spotlight that session.

Sartharina
2014-09-09, 04:09 PM
So I am getting the slight impression that single bennies are bad, group bennies are good ;)
People with Alligator Arms like Group Bennies and love to scream "Oppression" and "Favoritism!" when they don't get rewarded for the efforts/nonlaziness of others.

saxavarius
2014-09-09, 06:32 PM
I'm ok with it as long as the reward is small.

My usual DM likes food bribes. Bring him some kind of snack (even if it is shared with the group) and you earn a "floating 20" (you can use it like you had rolled a 20 on a die). It's his preferred method of reward. Wrote a back story? Have a 20. Character portrait? creative thinking in character? willing to make the food/beer run?

In or out of game that is how he shows that your effort is appreciated and he makes this known before the first session begins.

Broken Crown
2014-09-09, 09:39 PM
I also wanted to add that bribing the GM is different than bribing the table. Some players will bring snacks or beer for everyone. While I can see why someone would object to a GM bribe, sharing something with everyone seems like a way to get on everyone's good side. Is anyone opposed to bribing the table?
I'm not sure if bringing snacks for everyone is really a bribe. It's a nice thing to do, and I'm sure everyone appreciates it. But in an RPG, the GM is usually the only person who is in a position to be bribed, because no one else can provide the same kind of in-game benefits the GM can.

I have played multi-player board games where the players bribed each other with both in- and out-of-game benefits to get support. Some games seem to support this better than others.

Frozen_Feet
2014-09-09, 10:51 PM
Players can very well bribe other players. "I'll give you candy if your character attacks <foo>!" It is usually indicative of amusing dysfunctionality within the group. Experienced players move from OOC to IC bribes. "Muh character will give you his magick sword if you attack <foo>!" :smallamused:

Broken Crown
2014-09-10, 04:52 AM
Players can very well bribe other players. "I'll give you candy if your character attacks <foo>!" It is usually indicative of amusing dysfunctionality within the group. Experienced players move from OOC to IC bribes. "Muh character will give you his magick sword if you attack <foo>!" :smallamused:

True. Probably less productive than bribing the GM, though, since it's approximately a zero-sum game. "I'll do X for you if your character does Y," means that the character doing Y isn't doing something else (which would probably have been more productive; otherwise, why would they need a bribe?), whereas the GM has unlimited resources to be used for the players' benefit or detriment.

Also, as you point out, basing IC actions on OOC motivations isn't great roleplaying.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-10, 08:12 AM
Bribes can be a good way to get the group to function well together and be nice to one another. Bribing the DM is bad form. Bribing the GROUP is fine. Bringing a pizza for everyone to share is worth a reroll once for that session. Putting on a pirate patch during the pirate campaign (and wearing it the whole game) is worth another reroll of a single die. Keep people working with the group and in the spirit of the game. Bribe only for things that make the game better for everyone.

Broken Twin
2014-09-10, 08:30 AM
People with Alligator Arms like Group Bennies and love to scream "Oppression" and "Favoritism!" when they don't get rewarded for the efforts/nonlaziness of others.

Alligator arms. Haven't heard that one before.

As to the rest of your description... anyone who screams "Oppression!" at my table tends to get uninvited in short order. I've got no time or interest to deal with that level of egotism and self delusion.

I favor group bennies because I don't believe someone should be rewarded in-game for unrelated out-of-game actions. Plus, group bennies tend to be temporary bonuses that go away once used. Individual rewards for IRL actions tend to be along the lines of bonuses for making a back story, getting your character sheet to me on time, contributing meaningfully to the game world, things like that. Bribes in the true sense of the word are strictly discouraged. That doesn't mean I may not occasionally reward someone being an awesome person out of game with an in-game team bonus.

----------------------------

In regards to players bribing other players, no thank you. PCs bribing other PCs, on the other hand, is a-okay. As long as it makes sense in-character.

TheCountAlucard
2014-09-10, 08:48 AM
Players can very well bribe other players... It is usually indicative of amusing dysfunctionality within the group.Sez you. :smalltongue:

Feels pretty appropriate, though, for Vampire or Paranoia. :smallamused:

Experienced players move from OOC to IC bribes.Or start there in the first place. :smallwink:

Demonslayer666
2014-09-10, 11:41 AM
Bribing the GM is perfectly fine IMO. The rewards just need to be small and inconsequential. I have been the GM and a player (both many times), and I don't have a problem with it from either perspective.

Pay to win? That's for silly apps...

Segev
2014-09-10, 12:48 PM
I, too, have never heard the phrase "alligator arms" before this thread, and I'm having trouble divining its meaning from context. Could somebody please elaborate on what it means and why, particularly in this context?

YossarianLives
2014-09-10, 12:59 PM
I've played in a game like this before where the DM outright stated that being nice to her would give you in-game bonuses.

KnotKnormal
2014-09-10, 12:59 PM
I don't know if this is wrong or not but i actually use DM bribes as a tool rather then an arbitrary thing, if a player misses a session for what ever reason, I give them an option to DM bribe me to make up the experience that would other wise be lost. I thought it would be a nice way to some new posters or food for the games with-out punishing players in-game for out of game circumstances.

Lord Torath
2014-09-11, 08:50 AM
I, too, have never heard the phrase "alligator arms" before this thread, and I'm having trouble divining its meaning from context. Could somebody please elaborate on what it means and why, particularly in this context?

Nobody likes your Alligator Arms (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-UJtJlTlzk).I think the idea is that the player says he'd be happy to pitch in, but his poor little alligator arms can't reach all the way to his wallet, so he is unable to contribute. He's always got an excuse for not pitching in for pizza/soda/chips/whatever. But it's "never his fault." Essentially a cheapskate leech. They want the member benefits of the group with without paying the dues.

Tengu_temp
2014-09-11, 10:00 AM
If you're not getting DM-Bribery bennies, it means you're not pulling your OOC weight with the group. Nobody likes your Alligator Arms (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-UJtJlTlzk).

Have you considered that some people might be in a hard financial situation and can't afford to buy pizza for the DM? Don't shame people for being poor.

I, personally, wouldn't be able to play with a DM who expects his players to regularily bribe him with food and expects it to be their duty. This kind of behaviour just promotes the DM's sense of self-importance and being above the pitiful players, who give him offerings to appease him like he was a king or a god.

SinsI
2014-09-11, 10:01 AM
This thread reminds me of http://www.goblinscomic.org/07152005/
I see no problem with GM bribes as long as:
1) 1 bribe gives no more than one one-time benefit
2) bribe and effect is minor enough to not steal the fun - i.e. one slice of pizza gives a player one dice reroll.

draken50
2014-09-11, 10:19 AM
I've never really had a problem with GM bribes as a player. I also never really did the bribing. As a player though, it was because the "rewards" awarded tended to be minor, and more jokey.

As a GM, bribing me is kind of a joke with my players. I award even experience to all my players, so a bonus for one person is a bonus for all of them. I don't really give stuff for bribes, though I have tossed some extra xp for scroll creation or the like out, I've also done that just to give the party a bit more in the way of resources to play around with. All bribe attempts have been things shared with the group too.

Generally, when all is in fun and the group trusts each other, I don't think it's a big deal. If that's not the case, well, then it could be a problem, but you have bigger problems already.

mig el pig
2014-09-11, 10:22 AM

Suffice to say, bribery is a crime for a lot of things in a lot of places in the real world, and its no less distasteful at the gaming table IMHO. :smallannoyed:

Now I know where the idea of DLC comes from.

Broken Twin
2014-09-11, 11:57 AM
I think the idea is that the player would be happy to pitch in, but his poor little alligator arms can't reach all the way to his wallet, so he is unable to contribute. He's always got an excuse for not pitching in for pizza/soda/chips/whatever. But it's "never his fault." Essentially a cheapskate leech. They want the member benefits of the group with without paying the dues.

Given that description, this is the only thing I can think of:

http://adventuresandthoughtbubbles.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/robinsonstrex_zps192ad41c.jpg

@Tengu_temp: While I agree with your sentiment, I think the phrase is related to being cheap, not poor. I hope no-one is insinuating that people should feel bad for literally not being able to afford to pitch in for snacks all the time.

Having said that, free food for the GM, when it happens, is always appreciated. Especially when you're the type of GM that puts a lot of prep work in. Makes you feel appreciated for the work you put in.

Tengu_temp
2014-09-11, 03:36 PM
@Tengu_temp: While I agree with your sentiment, I think the phrase is related to being cheap, not poor. I hope no-one is insinuating that people should feel bad for literally not being able to afford to pitch in for snacks all the time.

Having said that, free food for the GM, when it happens, is always appreciated. Especially when you're the type of GM that puts a lot of prep work in. Makes you feel appreciated for the work you put in.

Well, Sartharina said it in an absolute way: benefits for bribing the DMs are perfectly fine and expected, because if you don't bribe the DM then you're stingy and a bad player from an ooc perspective and should feel ashamed.

And yeah, it's good to see your DMing efforts being appreciated, but this should result in out-of-game gratitude. If you absolutely have to give in-game benefits for ooc things, then give them to the whole party, not just a single specific player.
Also, there are cultural matters to consider: here in Poland, for example, the host is usually the one who provides people with food. And the host and the DM are often the same person.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-11, 03:45 PM
Obviously, what we need is a microtransaction system for dnd (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?208421-Microtransactions-in-D-amp-D).
[some pilfered from that thread]

I even have a basic pricing outline:

Item Cost (USD)
Add 1gp $0.01
Change one skillpoint $0.25
Travel Shop (Can buy items from anywhere, even in dungeons) $0.99
Remove Harmful Status Effects $2.99
Heal all hp instantly $2.99
No level-loss on resurrection $2.99
Maximize a single Hit Die roll $3.99
Swap one feat $3.99
Second Wind (instantly, fully healed, clears status effects) $4.99
Change Race $4.99
Swap all skillpoints $6.95
Change character fluff/backstory (does not include race, class, or any mechanical effect) $6.99
Change one class level $9.99
Extra Life (survive with 1hp, despite effect which would normally kill or KO you) $9.99
NPC-cameo related to backstory $9.99
Swap all feats $10.99
Change all class levels $19.99
Transfer items/gold from one character to another (new characters otherwise begin with level 1 starting wealth) $19.99
Total Respec (change whole character, keep all items) $29.99
DLC quest related to backstory (cost is per session, pay at least 1 week prior to session) $40.00

What do you think?

Yes, I am kidding

Lord Torath
2014-09-11, 04:34 PM
DLC quest related to backstory (cost is per session, pay at least 1 week prior to session)DLC? What does that stand for?

Other than that, sign me up to be DM :smallwink:

satcharna
2014-09-11, 04:38 PM
DLC? What does that stand for?

Other than that, sign me up to be DM :smallwink:Downloadable Content. About a third or less of the content of an expansion pack, but for the same bargain price.
What do you think?Truly, you put the lawful in lawful evil. This is quite excellently codified, though I suspect you could squeeze some more money out of character-centric plots.

Broken Twin
2014-09-11, 04:51 PM
Well, Sartharina said it in an absolute way: benefits for bribing the DMs are perfectly fine and expected, because if you don't bribe the DM then you're stingy and a bad player from an ooc perspective and should feel ashamed.

And yeah, it's good to see your DMing efforts being appreciated, but this should result in out-of-game gratitude. If you absolutely have to give in-game benefits for ooc things, then give them to the whole party, not just a single specific player.
Also, there are cultural matters to consider: here in Poland, for example, the host is usually the one who provides people with food. And the host and the DM are often the same person.

The vast majority of rewards given by me for stuff like that is usually a hearty thank you, occasionally followed by a hug. Things that really get me in a good mood tend to result in a temp bonus for the party, as I mentioned earlier.

Around here, the host providing food for everyone is rare, mostly because few in my social circle can afford to do so. Everybody brings something to snack on, and we go potluck style. Someone footing the entire bill is something to be thankful for, not something that's expected. But that's just us.

Tengu_temp
2014-09-11, 05:18 PM
By the way, Violence has actual rules for using cash to improve your rolled stats. But it went one step forward; you don't just bribe the DM, you bribe the game's author. You have to send him a certain amount of money in the DM's presence, which results in a stat increase.

Of course, Violence is a parody RPG and it's not meant to be taken seriously. It's also a sign of how times have changed; back in 1999 it was a controversial title, today it feels really mild.

Kruploy
2014-09-11, 07:47 PM
I would only accept bribes from by gf because if she did it, it would be more of a threat than a bribe lol.

Of course, I would quietly put her char in a precarious position in the future.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-11, 08:27 PM
This is quite excellently codified, though I suspect you could squeeze some more money out of character-centric plots.

I was intentionally lowballing it. One generally only has a few customers players at a time, so you don't want to bleed them dry too fast. For now, at least :smalltongue:

Also, excel is the best thing ever: Plugging in the table code as a sort of "template" lets you make forum tables so easily.

Velaryon
2014-09-12, 01:16 PM
Obviously, what we need is a microtransaction system for dnd (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?208421-Microtransactions-in-D-amp-D).
[some pilfered from that thread]

I even have a basic pricing outline:

Item Cost (USD)
Add 1gp $0.01
Change one skillpoint $0.25
Travel Shop (Can buy items from anywhere, even in dungeons) $0.99
Remove Harmful Status Effects $2.99
Heal all hp instantly $2.99
No level-loss on resurrection $2.99
Maximize a single Hit Die roll $3.99
Swap one feat $3.99
Second Wind (instantly, fully healed, clears status effects) $4.99
Change Race $4.99
Swap all skillpoints $6.95
Change character fluff/backstory (does not include race, class, or any mechanical effect) $6.99
Change one class level $9.99
Extra Life (survive with 1hp, despite effect which would normally kill or KO you) $9.99
NPC-cameo related to backstory $9.99
Swap all feats $10.99
Change all class levels $19.99
Transfer items/gold from one character to another (new characters otherwise begin with level 1 starting wealth) $19.99
Total Respec (change whole character, keep all items) $29.99
DLC quest related to backstory (cost is per session, pay at least 1 week prior to session) $40.00

What do you think?

Yes, I am kidding

I think if you want my microtransaction money, you should include a price for buying unique magic items that can't be gotten through normal gameplay. And customizations for the party's base. Definitely that.
Maybe a special, unique mount?

TheCountAlucard
2014-09-12, 01:36 PM
Don't forget hats. :smallamused:

Slipperychicken
2014-09-12, 02:34 PM
I think if you want my microtransaction money, you should include a price for buying unique magic items that can't be gotten through normal gameplay. And customizations for the party's base. Definitely that.
Maybe a special, unique mount?

Don't forget hats. :smallamused:

I knew I was forgetting something.