PDA

View Full Version : [Week 7] Which is the Playground's favorite monster?! - Thinking outside the box.

Yael
2014-09-08, 08:15 PM
First of all, I know that I've missed a lot of weeks of WitPGFM, but I have just entered college, and Mr. Mind Flayer is extracting the crayons out of my brain. But here we go again :smallbiggrin:

Here is the point: We all put here our favorite creature/monster, and then at the end of each day "this" post will be updated with a table containing which creature has been selected and how many people do love it. At the end of the week we will see which monster is your favorite of the selected type or subtype. Every type and subtype will be randomly selected (by me, or at the forum dice, taking suggestions from you, fellow playgrounders,) or it could be in order, we'll see if this gets crowded enough. Remember that this isn't a competition, it is just a little game, so don't try to convince others to change their choices as they have their favorite monsters as you have yours. I'm not planning to show every nickname, so I want to order it from books/sources where they are found, also I will make a top 5 if we reach enough votes.

This week type/subtype is:

Outsider Type!
http://www.kotll.com/srd3.5/img/MonstersD-De.Pit_Fiend.jpg

My vote: Outsiders are a vast, holy crayonish type, with a very large array of monsters of all kinds. I'll throw a vote for Bocoob, the Uncaring (being an outsider, it counts), Djinni, and the Succubus. I don't know, Boccob is just like an amazing concept (even while Dei&Dem's gods are underpowered) because of the "Meh" or the "Meh, I don't give a Crayon" thingy. The Genies are just a lovely concept, I just like the Djinni more than every other, and the Succubus is... Yummy? I like the concept too. Never been against one or used one (as a DM) but I'm still waiting to do so.)

Creature
Creature Type [Subtype]
Source

Votes

Abomination, Dream Larva
Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar]
Epic Level Handbook, p161

Abomination, Phane
Outsider [Chaotic, Incorporeal]
Epic Level Handbook, p166

Angel, Solar
Outsider [Angel, Extraplanar, Good]
Monster Manual I, p012

Archon, Hound
Outsider [Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful]
Monster Manual I, p16

Archon, Lantern
Outsider [Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful]
Monster Manual I, p16

Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth
Outsider [Baatezu, Evil, Extraplanar, Lawful]
Fiendish Codex II - Lords of the Nine Hells, p155

Astral Dreadnought
Outsider
Manual of the Planes, p159

Astral Stalker
Outsider
Monster Manual III, p012

Boccob, the Uncaring
Outsider
Deities and Demigods, p060

Couatl
Outsider [Native]
Monster Manual I, p037

Demon, Balor
Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri]
Monster Manual I, p040

Demon, Belilith
Monster Manual I, p042

Demon, Half-Goristro
Outsider
Wizard's Archive (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a)

Demon, Jovoc
Outsider [Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri]
Monster Manual II, p058

Demon, Succubus
Outsider [Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri]
Monster Manual I, p047

Devil, Merregon (Legion)
Fiendish Codex II - Tyrants of the Nine Hells, p122

Devil, Pit Fiend
Monster Manual I, p057

Eladrin, Shiere
Outsider [?]
Citation Needed

Fharlanghn, God of Roads
Outsider
Deities and Demigods, p067

Formian, Queen
Outsider [Extraplanar, Lawful]
Monster Manual I, p111

Genie, Djinni
Outsider [Air, Extraplanar]
Monster Manual I, p114

Glimmerskin
Outsider [Incorporeal]
Monster Manual II, p

Mephit, Mirror
Outsider [Extraplanar]
Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, p208

Nightmare
Outsider [Evil, Extraplanar]
Monster Manual I, p194

Pandorym
Outsider [Evil, Incorporeal, Psionic]
Elder Evils, p082

Planetouched, Aasimar
Outsider [Native]
Monster Manual I, p209

Planetouched, Tiefling
Outsider [Native]
Monster Manual I, p209

Orcus, Prince of the Undead
Outsider [Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri]
Fiendish Codex I - Hordes of the Abyss, p073

Rakshasa
Outsider [Native]
Monster Manual I, p211

Rakshasa, Naztharune
Outsider [Native]
Monster Manual III, p136

Ravid
Outsider [Extraplanar]
Monster Manual I, p213

Slaad, Black
Outsider [Chaotic]
Epic Level Handbook, p218

Tharizdum
Outsider [?]
Citation Needed.

Vorr
Fiend Folio, p186

Yugoloth, Arcanoloth
Outsider [Evil]
Monster Manual II, p203

The date to finish the count will be Monday, September 15th; from that point on, no vote will be added to the popularity table, but feel free to keep commenting your favorites.

The sources you can use to pick your favorite are on the list below, also if you have more than one favorite, don't hesitate to show it to us! No creature whose entry wasn't originally of the selected type is allowed (for example: if the week's monster type is: Dragon, no Dragonwrought Kobold is available, just creatures with the Dragon type as their base creature are allowed, in this case; DW Kobold got it fom a feat.) At the same time, no creatures that obtained their subtype are allowed to be chosen (for example, Dragonblood subtype week, no dragonborn human is allowed, because human wasn't originally intended to have dragonblood subtype, but its subtype is "dragonblood" because of the Dragonborn template; however Silverbrow human is allowed because its original subtype IS dragonblood.) Also, when a creature is based on a template (such as the Lich, the Vampire, or the Zombie) the template is allowed to be selected as your vote; however, you cannot specify a creature with its own entry adding an alien template. TL;DR: You can select the Skeleton Creature as your favorite Undead, but not a T-Rex Skeleton (using two creatures.)

• Any 3.0 Edition sourcebook.
• Any 3.5 Edition corebook & sourcebook.
• Any Dragon Magazine (add issue number.)
• DragonLance Campaign.
• Eberron Campaign.
• Forgotten Realms Campaign.
• Greyhawk Campaign.
• Kingdoms of Kalmar Campaign.
• Legend of the Five Rings Campaign.
• No Pathfinder.
• No homebrewed material.
• Official online material allowed (include your link.)
• Ravenloft Campaign.
• SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) Material allowed.
• World of Warcraft RPG Edition.

Week
Type/Subtype

Most voted!

[Week 1] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?359801-Week-1-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster&p=17712990#post17712990)
Aberration Type

Aboleth.

[Week 2] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361173-Week-2-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Dungeons-and-_______&p=17748761#post17748761)
Dragon Type

Pseudodragon.

[Week 3] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?362428-Week-3-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Obey-the-Law(ful)!&p=17787914#post17787914)
Lawful Subtype.

Inevitable, Marut.

[Week 4] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?363934-Week-4-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-Vote-from-the-grave&p=17834771#post17834771)
Undead Type.

Lich.

[Week 5] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?364977-Week-5-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Mom!-I-want-some-Jell-o!&p=17874220#post17874220)
Ooze Type.

Living Spell.

[Week 6] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366161-Week-6-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Rock-solid!&p=17913634#post17913634)
Earth Subtype.

Earth Elemental.

[Week 7] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?370897-Week-7-Which-is-the-Playground-s-favorite-monster-!-Thinking-outside-the-box&p=18079460#post18079460)
Outsider Type.

September 15th.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-08, 08:30 PM
The Couatl. It's just sush a goshdarn cool concept. And also I think that it has the best artwork of any Monster Manual I entry:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG38a.jpg
Also I have a soft spot for native outsiders, dunno why.

Svata
2014-09-08, 08:42 PM
Hmm... Deities are in? My three are as follows, then:
1) Fharlanghn, God of Roads
2) Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth (returning from lawful week)
3) The Solar

2014-09-08, 08:46 PM
Well, someone has to be the first to post the memesider, so my choice goes to the one and only Orcus.

Forrestfire
2014-09-08, 08:59 PM
Gotta go with the Inevitables. Awesome mechanical dammit those are constructs for some reason.

Out of all the outsiders I can think of, I've always really liked the Glimmerskin from the Monster Manual 2. Thrill-seeking parasitic not-ghosts from the positive energy plane, that want to fight things, but lack a physical form or the ability to possess and control people... So they seek out warrior types and offer to buff them in exchange for riding along in their body. Just a really neat concept (and also one of the rare positive energy plane creatures).

bjoern
2014-09-08, 09:15 PM
The jovoc. That Aura of Retribution is nasty. And since its a spread, they can use it through walls and you have no clue what is hurting you.

Leviting
2014-09-08, 11:56 PM
The Solar. It looks powerful, it's supposed to be powerful, and it is so powerful that wizards gladly exploit their power. To chain-gate more.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-09, 12:29 AM
The Half-Goristro (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) variant of Half-Fiend. It makes a medium creature large size and gives it Str +16, Dex -2, Con +12, +7 natural armor, two slam attacks that each add one and a half Str to damage, and half-fiend spell-like abilities and special qualities, for a +4 LA or a +3/4/5 CR. Something with a level adjustment that high should have some significant benefits for such a high investment, especially considering how much you can get from combining a bunch of +1 or +2 LA templates/races, and it's a more balanced large-size alternative to Half-Minotaur. Its CR increase takes its focused bonuses and size increase into consideration, allowing you to make a physically powerful opponent significantly more dangerous while rounding out its defenses and utility capabilities.

oldkingkoal
2014-09-09, 01:33 AM
I've always been a big fan of the rakshasa.
Not sure how thats spelled <_<. But yeah, the evil animal headed backwards hands guys.

Lucigen
2014-09-09, 02:00 AM
It's not powerful or awe inspiring in the least but my favorite Outsider has to be the Ether Scarab from Monster Manual II thanks to a player using it as an "I Escape" button and just getting out of horrible situations by doing nothing less than creating a tear in the fabric of the plane.

Also the various Rakshasa are pretty cool especially the...Naztharune...or something like that

Eldan
2014-09-09, 02:49 AM
Eladrin, Shiere. Though I must admit mainly because of Tony Di'Terlizzi's illustrations.

http://uo-planescape.wdfiles.com/local--files/eladrin/Shiere(maybe)_Eladrin_by_Tony_Diterlizzi-2613_(1995)_TSR_Planescape_-_Monstrous_Compendium_Appendix_II.jpg

Though because of the Eladrin's races fluff, as well. They are the most subtle of the major outsiders. Unlike all the others, they need not be summoned to the mortal world by others, but can enter it freely, as long as they follow one condition: they can never reveal their nature and powers to a mortal, or they are banished for a hundred years and a day. So they work behind the scenes, as friends and advisors to noble kings and brave heroes, to guide and inspire and interfere subtly at critical moments, instead of, like other outsiders, being summoned by some mortal chump, then trying to break out to stomp all over the place, shouting and destroying their opposite numbers with fire and brimstone.

Hurnn
2014-09-09, 03:01 AM
The Succy, a smart charming deadly threat that does not have to be overtly threatening.

Pan151
2014-09-09, 03:02 AM
The Black Slaad. For the sole reason that Atropals are not dual-typed as Undead Outsiders anymore...

AlanBruce
2014-09-09, 04:56 AM
MM3 has some interesting gems. I'll have to vote for the Astral Stalker.

The guy looks like an undead because of his skull face, but is in fact a bounty hunter from the Astral that's cunning, resourceful and so lawful and honor bound, it will not accept contracts against his former employers after a year and a day.

I used one with a few class levels in some roguish PrC and the guy gave a party of highly optimized tier ones a run for their money.

Socksy
2014-09-09, 05:00 AM
The vorr. DR 50/+5 at cr4? Yessssss.

ben-zayb
2014-09-09, 06:17 AM
FC2's Merregon (Legion Devil)

It's just a sweet marriage of crunch and fluff. Gets exponentially more threatening as their numbers pile up, thanks to their abilities (pooled HP, uses best save rolls, easy teleportation to each other for ambush/escape, massive attack boost...). Very unique playstyle, more so in the hands of a highly creative DM.

Vhaidara
2014-09-09, 06:28 AM
Hmm... Deities are in? My three are as follows, then:
1) Fharlanghn, God of Roads
2) Asmodeus, Lord of the Ninth (returning from lawful week)
3) The Solar

I will second 1 and 2, with my third vote going to Tieflings. Because Tieflings are awesome.

ben-zayb
2014-09-09, 06:57 AM
I will second 1 and 2, with my third vote going to Tieflings. Because Tieflings are awesome.Ooh, we can have three votes? Then, I vote for the classic Nightmare, as well as the epic Phane for its time-warping powers.

Pan151
2014-09-09, 07:03 AM
Ooh, we can have three votes?

We can? :smalleek:

Then, I'll give another vote to Asmodeus, and a vote for Orcus.

Inevitability
2014-09-09, 07:14 AM
Tiefling, and if more votes are allowed; Rakasha and the Formian Queen.

Extra Anchovies
2014-09-09, 08:54 AM

What book is it from?

Snowbluff
2014-09-09, 09:07 AM
Boccob and Couatls are all pretty cool, but the real answer is:

Mirror Mephit, from the Expedition to Demon Web Pits (IIRC).

Simulacrum as an SLA, can be used as a Summon or a Familiar, and can make for a nice trickster encounter. As such it is a viable option as a character and DM option. All other votes are made in ignorance.

Threadnaught
2014-09-09, 09:47 AM
Pandorym, Asmodeus and Orcus.

Non of them are stattable at full power, even Orcus. When Orcus Rudisplorks, he is unstattable.

Novawurmson
2014-09-09, 01:20 PM
No Pathfinder? Aww.

Hrm. I'll give one to the Aasimar for sure. Others will need to wait.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-09, 02:25 PM

What book is it from?

It's in the Fiend Folio, and it doesn't have any DR at all. Even if it did have DR 50/+5, it would have been updated to 3.5's version of DR in the update booklet (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a), which it does not even appear in.

Leviting
2014-09-09, 08:49 PM
Well, if we get three votes, make my second for the Dream Larva. Super flavorful (sleep-walking weaponsmiths?) crazy nightmare powers, and very few people who see one actually know what it looks like. My second vote is for the Pit Fiend. They just seem to be a classic, yet sane, demon of brutal power. And they have a bunch of cool at-will spells.

sideswipe
2014-09-10, 06:53 AM
the ravid, because it has so much positive energy that it just animates things by being next to them.

Tragak
2014-09-10, 09:44 AM
My 1st favorite would have to be: Succubi (species)

Mind control (charm monster, suggestion), (Greater) teleportation, shapeshifting (change shape), invisibility/incorporeality (ethereal jaunt), flight, mind reading (detect thoughts), and fantastic mental scores thrown into a creature that is so perfectly Chaotic Evil on a cellular level that it makes The Joker look like a paladin? Totally underutilized as villains.

2nd favorite (EDITED): Hound Archons (species)

The holiest, most honorable champions of the ideals of Lawful Good… and can transform into Dire Wolves if they think you're threatening the innocent

3rd favorite (EDITED): Tharizdun (individual)

Most Neutral Evil types love themselves so much that they don't care who they hurt as long as they themselves benefit.
Tharizdun hates everybody else so much that he doesn't care if he himself dies as long as he takes everybody else with him.

Vhaidara
2014-09-10, 09:52 AM
Marut's are constructs, not Outsiders.

The Lady of Pain is not an Outsider. That would imply she has a type.

Spore
2014-09-10, 01:03 PM
Lantern Archon: Light Ray that ignores any damage reduction? Vast amount of SLAs? Ball of light embodying LG?
Balor: It just isn't D&D if neither a red dragon nor a Balor pops up SOMEWHERE. Thou shalt not pass!
Bebilith: a demon hunting spider? Able to remove armor and poison its wearer? Having a poison as one of its main attacks is thematically awesome but a terrible choice to kill demons ^^

Seto
2014-09-10, 01:49 PM
I'll second Boccob, the Uncaring. I'll second the Pit Fiend. And I'll second the Black Slaad as hell. Slaad are so much fun. My vote goes to those three.

Yael
2014-09-11, 05:06 PM
Updated.

Asmo-tan is getting some love there, but the whole bunch of Outsiders is really good, here.

Have you heard of the mirror folk (not the exact name)?

Teh_das
2014-09-11, 05:21 PM
I cast my vote for Fharlanghn

Vhaidara
2014-09-11, 05:29 PM
Have you heard of the mirror folk (not the exact name)?

Nerra. They are pretty cool.

Werephilosopher
2014-09-11, 05:46 PM
My vote's for the Solar. If we get three, Boccob and the Astral Dreadnought as well.

Deadline
2014-09-11, 06:03 PM
The Yugoloths are definitely my favorite outsiders. Since I have to choose just one, I think I'd pick the Arcanoloth.