PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Classes Bard/Cleric?

CGDG
2014-09-09, 12:36 AM
A few weeks ago I started work on a bardsader. The purposes was to tank and buff allies. I later changed my mind altogether and began work on a multi-classed Cleric Bard. With the necessary feat investment to make it work,I find myself now wondering if it is worth it.

My current build involves a Silverbrow Human with feats as follows:

1st – Extra Bardic Music; Silverbrow Bonus: Dragonfire Inspiration
3rd – Divine Inspiration
6th – Song of the Heart

I'm trying to build without using flaws. I'm looking at Ordained Champion at 7th level, with my build starting with a level of Bard then all Cleric levels till I start with Ordained Champion.

Bard 1/Cleric 5/Ordained Champion 5.

I don't really know where I'm going after that.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for me to go straight Cleric till Ordained Champion and invest the feats in metamagic and divine metamagic feats.

Gwendol
2014-09-09, 01:50 AM
You can pick up Initiate of Milil to continue to progress bardic music (which in your case looks like it can be quite bad-ass).

Val666
2014-09-09, 01:57 AM
I don't know how to multiclass Cleric and Bard, but if not evil :v Words of Creation :v?

TheCrowing1432
2014-09-09, 02:05 AM
Divine Bard?

Craft (Cheese)
2014-09-09, 03:47 AM
Chaos Music? (+4 to effective bard level, can't exceed HD: Practiced Spellcaster for bardic music basically)

Heartfire Fanner? (Gives you inspire courage without even needing any bard levels, while progressing your cleric casting; Only downside is the feat taxes)

Actually that raises an interesting question: How do Initiate of Milil and Heartfire Fanner interact?

EDIT: Also, what's the source for Divine Inspiration? I can't find it anywhere. Did you possibly mean some other feat?

CGDG
2014-09-09, 04:11 AM
The feat I'm taking at level 3 is Divine Inspiration, a Dragon Magazine feat that works in the same fashion as Initiate of Milil, in that it increases the bardic music abilities I get but not the uses per day. There are three key differences: a) I don't need to worship Milil; if I want to take Ordained Chapion I can't worship Milil b) I don't need 4 levels of Cleric/Pladin to take it and c) I still gain bardic music related supernatural abilities (ie: Suggestion) which, it has been suggested, you cannot get through Initiate of Milil. I would need to ask for DM approval for Divine Inspiration, but it seems like a fair multi-classing feat.

The issue with Word of Creation is that I need an INT of 15+ and a CHA of 15+. I may end up with one, but it's not likely I'll get both. I'm hoping to offer support andtanking for my party, which would require a high WIS for spells, high CON for hp, high CHA for turning.

If I don't have at least a positive STR, I can't melee effectively until about 11th level (without using a 4th level spell and a standard action every combat to cast it, and that still means I need to be 7th level before I can melee). STR could be dumped, but it's unlikely I'll have 3 15+ stats. I've never had rolls that good before.

I'm not sure if Initiate of Milil and Heartfire Fanner stack. It says that you gain all the abilities of a 5th level bard and that they stack. Initiate of Milil says your bard, cleric and paladin level stack for the purpose of what bardic music you get but not uses or (as it has been suggested) brdic music related supernatural abilities (like suggestion). As far as I can tell, you'd chooses the high for determining what bardic music you have and Heartfire Fanner would determine your uses.

On a humourous but unrelated note. Rules by RAW aren't clear, with Initiate of Milil, on whether you even need Bard levels. It could be interpreted in such as way as you get bardic music from having Cleric/Paladin levels; there's no bardic music requirement and it says they all stack for determining your abilities.

I'm currently pondering if I'd be a more effective buffer if I spent the feats I need to spend on being able to effectively use my bardic music abilities on metamagic feats. What pans out the best?

Curbstomp
2014-09-09, 04:22 AM
What about just taking the Nobility Domain and going pure Cleric?

Curbstomp
2014-09-09, 04:26 AM
Or... if you DM allows is and it is legal by RAW:

Cloistered Cleric 1/ Cleric 5 then prestige class.

You'll pull Knowledge and four other domains which could be two duplicates if you like the granted powers. Also decent skill points at level 1 and the capacity to take the Knowledge Devotion Feat at character level 3 for bonus to hit and to damage.

CGDG
2014-09-09, 04:29 AM
I was looking at taking the Nobility and Family domains. However, to get into Ordained Champion I'm stuck with Heronious as my God. He only offers Law, Good and War, as far as I know.

Curbstomp
2014-09-09, 04:32 AM
You don't have to be the cleric and cloistered cleric of the same deity. Though I would recommend the same pantheon.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-09, 06:42 AM
Consider dropping fascinate for healing hymn. If you are not getting high enough bard levels to pick up suggestion, then it is a straight upgrade that will allow you to heal a ton of HP using only low level spell slots.

CGDG
2014-09-09, 08:40 PM
Consider dropping fascinate for healing hymn. If you are not getting high enough bard levels to pick up suggestion, then it is a straight upgrade that will allow you to heal a ton of HP using only low level spell slots.

I'm planning on taking all the CC Bard alternativ class features. If a DM will allow it, I'd like to drop suggestion for Song of the the Heart, as per to AFC in ECS.

EDIT: Assuming a DM is not willing to allow clerics to enter Ordained Champion without worshipping Heroneious, do you think it would be fair to request a shift to a God from the Olympian Pantheon (Nike or Athena)?

Gwendol
2014-09-10, 02:48 AM
Any god with War in their domain portfolio should be game, judging from the recommendations in the book.

CGDG
2014-09-10, 06:47 AM
Any god with War in their domain portfolio should be game, judging from the recommendations in the book.

I'm hoping, should I ever get to play the character, that the DM will see it that way too.