PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.X] Glory to Nyarlathotep.

Yael
2014-09-09, 01:13 AM
I just bought my copy of Call of Cthulhu d20, so I checked it out from start to end, and I've noticed that the Elder Gods aren't that powerful as they should be by the lore. Also, I see that CoC was up to D&D 3.0 version (because of some entries at the "D&D conversion statblock", so I should update it to 3.5, or leave it how it is? I am not that familiar with the 3.0>3.5 changes :smalleek:

I am currently running a 3.X campaign where the Elder Gods are going to have their main role as either main villains or BBEG at the end. But the party is advancing fast (all planned, of course), and I have to design those bosses that would be the top of the awesomeness.

I decided to advance those elder gods shown at the CoC core rulebook per the 3.5 DMG, starting with Nyarlathotep, changing its feats to fit 3.5 (or maybe leave them) and give him either a PC class or continue its outsider levels, thinking about Psion 20? Or Wizard 20? Cleric 20? What do you think that could be useful to the Crawling Chaos? I am aiming this for a good topic, so please help me here?

Val666
2014-09-09, 01:48 AM
Ins't Nyarlatothep the one which asume any form? That sound like Druid to me. Magic and All kind of forms. Throw in the feats that add extra wildshapes and the Pseudonatural template (Not the epic one please, oh god..) and it should work fine. Obviously, refluff this druid as you like, not the nature lover guy :vvv

Uhm...for Shub Niggurath, it should be a kind of summoner (go kill my kids! or something like that)

You can Dagon Dagon

Azathoth...Bard? music-**** stuff :v

Yog-Sothoth is...omnipresent right? this one's hard. They say he knows everything, and theres another post right there saying you can learn everything with truenaming or something like that at level 1 Dx add 1 Factotum level for all skills and be creative.

Cthulhu...Uhm...He screams Mindflayer + Pseudonatural. Maybe add Illithid Savant to be unfair :v

Ignore me :(

Yael
2014-09-09, 02:10 AM
Ignore me :(

Those are good ideas, I'm not being sarcasting or telling this in a bad mannerish way, they are hilarious, and I would apply them for a future D&D GOD campaign, but I'm searching for a more serious-looking game, with madness involved and taint as the fuel of EEEEEEEVIIIIIIIL. :)

Eldan
2014-09-09, 02:45 AM
Nyarlathotep has two main skill sets that are iconic, I think. Shapeshifting and secrets/technology. His very first introduction, after all, was when he showed the people of the world terrible things with technological demonstrations that broke their mind.

So, wizard, maybe? I'd say Artificer, but those can't directly shapeshift.

Yael
2014-09-09, 02:46 AM
Nyarlathotep has two main skill sets that are iconic, I think. Shapeshifting and secrets/technology. His very first introduction, after all, was when he showed the people of the world terrible things with technological demonstrations that broke their mind.

So, wizard, maybe? I'd say Artificer, but those can't directly shapeshift.

Actually, that would be a pretty outstanding idea. You see, in the CoC corebook, Nyarlathotep already is a 35 HD outsider with 15 divine ranks. I'm only advancing him, and Artificer would do the job just nice!

EDIT: However, he already can create any object/greater by his sailent ability.