PDA

View Full Version : armor materierals

techpriest35
2014-09-09, 01:30 AM
ok i need some help from all of you.
im making a army for my players to deal with in several encounters.
right now im trying to find great armor materials for heavy armor.
so i wanted a list of all the materials that can be used for making armor and sheilds and what that material provides that basic steel or wood does not.
if you would be so kind as to add which book it comes from that would be great.
im not too familar with the initials for some of the books so please put the full name of the book these are for the heavy infantry foot soldiers i need to have a armor material then im going to generate a random magical effect using the dmg's magic item generation table

Curbstomp
2014-09-09, 04:06 AM
Umm... what are you looking for specifically? There are TONS of special materials in the game with various effects on weight, enhancement bonus, max dexterity, armor check penalty, elemental resistance, damage reduction, etcetera.

Darrin
2014-09-09, 04:55 AM
Special Materials Index (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1776531).

ace rooster
2014-09-09, 12:38 PM
Any: Gives the party huge amounts of gold from selling the armour. It will generally just add to the value without giving NPCs much benefit against the PCs.

Why do you feel the need to give them special materials? Other than githcrafted, dwarfcrafted or hellforged I would not expect anything particularly special on much of an army. Masterwork mechanus gear will probably give the impression you are looking for, and when combined with a tower shield makes solid troops (AC24) at 2500gp worth of equipment per pop, double for an ogre (AC28). While 25 troops in adamantine mechanus gear is cool, 75 ogres in ordinary mechanus gear is probably more scary, and 1500 troops in scale is more useful in most battles. These 3 options cost about the same in terms of gear price. Those 20 troops have to be very special to justify the expense.

What level is this squad going to be?

techpriest35
2014-10-07, 10:18 PM
Umm... what are you looking for specifically? There are TONS of special materials in the game with various effects on weight, enhancement bonus, max dexterity, armor check penalty, elemental resistance, damage reduction, etcetera.
pretty much any material that can be turned into heavy armor and can help foot soldiers that weild swords axes javelins clubs and other one handed weapons i wanted to find any thing that wasnt basic wood or steel as i wanted to see some interesting options i havent seen in basic books

techpriest35
2014-10-07, 10:21 PM
Special Materials Index (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-general/threads/1776531).
thx do you know if those are pdfs? if so i might have to check them out as they might be super useful

techpriest35
2014-10-07, 10:25 PM
Any: Gives the party huge amounts of gold from selling the armour. It will generally just add to the value without giving NPCs much benefit against the PCs.

Why do you feel the need to give them special materials? Other than githcrafted, dwarfcrafted or hellforged I would not expect anything particularly special on much of an army. Masterwork mechanus gear will probably give the impression you are looking for, and when combined with a tower shield makes solid troops (AC24) at 2500gp worth of equipment per pop, double for an ogre (AC28). While 25 troops in adamantine mechanus gear is cool, 75 ogres in ordinary mechanus gear is probably more scary, and 1500 troops in scale is more useful in most battles. These 3 options cost about the same in terms of gear price. Those 20 troops have to be very special to justify the expense.

What level is this squad going to be?well the reason they all have special armor is cause this is the end boss's army they are assualting his castle they should have characters that are at least level 30 after adding in prestigue classes and multi classing theres 6 players in each pc group and there units are grouped into 100 man units this is just one of the units they will be facing theres a ton of units but if they are smart and clever they wont fight all of them and will still be able to take this castle with minimal damage this guy has been harassing the pcs since the begining of the game and they are finally going to kill him