PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Making Abilities Fun! (Now Revised to Actually Make Sense)

ekarney
2014-09-09, 02:08 AM
So, I was walking home yesterday, and bitterly thinking about a new character I'm making.
The character in question is Lawful Evil, so in order to properly RP them, I need to be bitter, and my mind got onto the topic of abilities and saves.

Among this, was the Will save, and my train of though was similar to "Well, If this 180 year old, level 16 wizard has spent most of his like studying magic, and has the Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft ranks to prove it, that fluff and mechanically wise have him say 'Holy toilet bush Batdruid! I just got hit by a a spell that I've read about and know how to counter' and then have him use his intelligence modifier instead of wisdom to his will save" And then I expanded on it by thinking about a possible feat, that with enough knowledge ranks, you could add Int to save
For example: Arcana/Psionics to Will saves, Knowledge nature to fortitude saves "Throwing up that poisoned food might be a good idea" and I have no idea about Int to dexterity for the save.

Speaking of dexterity, this leads me to my second "Creation"

Minor dex bonuses/penalties to speed. Another fun variant I was thinking about, realistically, if you're a horrifically clumsy person and you're running as fast as you can to try and escape the barbarian whose kobold love you just killed, you're probably going to be tripping over your own feet a lot and stumbling a fair bit, with the opposite happening if you're a successful tightrope walker (I know, that's a balance check just roll with it) so my idea is:
-1, +0 and +1 would get no dexterity modifier to speed, then at -2/+2 you get a 5 foot modifier, then another 5 foot for -3/+3 and the FINAL 5 foot for -4/+4, because if you're that clumsy if you're probably tripping the times every step, and if you're that spry, the only time you've ever tripped was when you drank Batdruid's tea. We don't talk about that time.
Now, because I'm a big softy when it comes to anything that doesn't involve your character getting horribly murdered, I probably wouldn't enforce the penalty.
But I'd like the forum's opinion on this just to get a balanced idea of it all, I don't want to completely change the game here after all.

Now, onto the other stuff you've so obviously been patiently waiting for. :smallwink:

I had an idea for my next campaign
Start at HD 12. HD 10 and below can be from whatever you want, RHD/MHD, a class, multiclassing so long as it's not prestige.
Then HD 11, 12 and up have to be only ONE prestige class until HD 20. I'm probably removing most LA penalties too. Unless my players get a little too rudisplorky, especially since my other campaign is optimization focused and one of my players really enjoys the more RP side of things, also I feel prestige classes are really cool and don't get enough attention. Opinions on said campaign idea?

Throwing everything 3.X into a single game, I don't mean using every sourcebook in existence for one campaign but for example have some warforged in the 3.0 underdark? or letting Eberron players use the arms and equipment guide. Good idea or no?

Also: How the Batdruid's everloving BatSwamp do I do a one on one campaign with me as the DM?

Reworded version.
First part, as a house rule/homebrew option, if a PC has sufficient ranks in certain knowledge skills, should they be allowed to replace their Wisdom modifier to saves with an Intelligence modifier.
With the addition of a feat, would it be too cheesy to add both modifiers?

For example, Krewt, the Wizard has 10 ranks in Knowledge Arcana, so he knows some stuff about spells and how to counter them and believes that could be useful when he's getting spells thrown at him.

Possibly having the same thing for Fortitude saves and Knowledge Nature, as Krewt knows that if he's been poisoned, the best course of action would be to try and throw it up.

Second part, Would it be too harsh/too cheesy to use Dexterity as a BLS modifier?
For example, Krewt is the clumsiest Wizard in he's ever met, his modifier is -2 and as such he'd take a 5ft penalty to his speed, his friend however, Xynor the Bard is relatively quick on his feet and has a +3 modifier, leading to a 10ft bonus to his speed.
The rest of the party, Pally the Rogue, BatDruid/Bruce Payne and Tweezer the fighter all have modifiers between -1, and +1 so they wouldn't take a penalty or bonus.

Thirdly, occasionally, we have start campaigns where the players are required to choose from a certain array of classes or whatnot.
I've been considering have my players first, get 10HD they can do whatever they want with, then, fro HD 11 - 20 have to stick with one prestige class. What's the playgrounds opinions on this?

And finally, I'm teaching a friend how to play soon, does anyone have any tips/ideas for running a one on one campaign?

Feint's End
2014-09-09, 12:36 PM
Ok I'll try to answer to your post step by step because it is kind of confusing.

First the two upper parts. Those probably belong in the homebrew section but I have some thoughts of them regardless. Even knowing of a condition doesn't mean it makes your mind sturdier to resist an effect or your body more effective in dealing with the health issues (as a matter of fact a lot of smart people panic even more should they get poison in their blood flow because they know of the consequences). So fluffwise these feat(s) would make no sense at all. The DM might give boni sometimes (for example if you ate some poisonous food and decide to throw up) but those are situational at best and definitely don't apply to every saving throw.

I rather like the other idea though. I always thought it was odd for characters to have the same movement speed so some dependency on attributes would be nice. Dexterity is probably not the best stat though. Maybe give players some choices (kind of like traits but better) before the game to give them more options in flavouring their characters. One of them is increased movementspeed (stackable maybe?).

Now as for your campaign question. I don't like limiting players in that way but I assume this is 3.5? (in Pathfinder this could be an actuall anoyance)
How about instead of limiting players like that give them some good reason to pick a PRC? Maybe give them some minor boni or a scaling magic item appropriate for their new speciality. As a player limiting would just annoy me but if you'd offer something cool I would strongly consider going into a PRC.

About the books. First I'd talk to your players and ask them what they want to play. Maybe it turns out they chose from a very limited field anyways or just one campaign setting. If this turns out ot be a problem you should start making modifications.

Hope I could help

Threadnaught
2014-09-09, 04:31 PM
I'm one of the players?

I'm testing this house rule?

That's it, I'm bringing Jib Pun to the frontline. Supreme power? Nah, I'll just put on a show eggynack would be proud of. :smallwink:

According to WotC, 3.0 content is fine to use in a 3.5 game as long as it hasn't already been updated. Sometimes 3.0 content required a small amount of editing, other times the DM can add it with no Alteration. While I am a rules lawyer and have the greatest system mastery of us, it is up to each DM of our group how to handle a ruling.
I just hope there won't be an unending army of rats. :smallsigh:

ekarney
2014-09-10, 01:01 AM
You use any of the Pun family and I'll personally hit you in the shins with a large metal pipe. And yes, you are one of the players.
I'll give you the option to use the feat if you want once I have it sorted, because you're probably the best (And worst) person to give it to due to your experience with the game.

Feint's End, yeah I was confused about the whole messing with saves thing, so I may get a few more opinions on and leave it.
But if you were interested in the speed bonus,
I might lower the penalty though, it does seem a little harsh, if a Dwarf or a small creature with bad dexterity can only move 5ft.
You said you liked the idea of allowing players to base if off other abilities/use it as a trait, what would you recommend for it, as I've never made a trait in my life :L
Or even a feat for that matter.

Threadnaught
2014-09-10, 05:42 PM
You use any of the Pun family and I'll personally hit you in the shins with a large metal pipe. And yes, you are one of the players.

Not even Jib Pun the balanced character I created with a name designed to intimidate DMs everywhere?

Or Jub Pun (the balanced version) another character I created with a name designed to intimidate DMs everywhere?

Fine, I will become the villain, rather than an avatar of Law/Nature.

I'll give you the option to use the feat if you want once I have it sorted, because you're probably the best (And worst) person to give it to due to your experience with the game.

I humbly accept this offering. I shall walk the Planes and conquer them, afterall, my character is going to be named Kahn the Conquerer.