PDA

View Full Version : My questionnaire - A maths G.C.S.E

Mc. Lovin'
2007-03-10, 07:55 AM
Hey, my name is(n’t) Apelord69 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=20362), and in my maths course I am doing a statistics G.C.S.E, and I am at the stage of collecting the data for my investigation (alongside my friend called 'Z-Axis' who is in the same class as me), so here’s mine.

I am investigating many different things. Firstly I am investigating how age affects time spent on games, because I have always assumed that younger people play more games, however as I have branched into the wonderful world of MMORPGs, and I have only met 3 people my age so far. Is this because mainly older people play MMORPGs? Or is it simply that the older you are the more games you play?

I am also investigating the relationship between the time you spend on games and your IQ. New games have come out that have proven to increase your IQ (or at least your brain age), and I was wondering if this is because the game is well made, or if it is just because it is simply game.

So please answer the following questions as truthfully as possible, this is going towards my G.C.S.E .:smallbiggrin:

If you don’t want to put in your age (or aren’t allowed to) the don’t feel you cant post, just answer the other questions

Finally if you don’t want your answers to be readable by other GiantITP members then you can e-mail me at *dead thread - no spam please*.

What is you age?

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))?

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)?

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)?

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)?

Thanks for your time :smallsmile:
If you have time at the end I'm sure that Z-Axis would really appreciate you posting in his questionnaire (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37047) too.

Jimp
2007-03-10, 11:09 AM
We have to give our IQ? Whatever happened to multiple intelligences theory.

Belkarseviltwin
2007-03-10, 11:16 AM
You're doing GCSE stats coursework? Bad luck. You're the last year to have to do it!

Penguinizer
2007-03-10, 11:33 AM
I want to give out my age.
I got 127 IQ. (is that ok)
I think I spend around 15-20 hours a week on games. Maybe less.
Computer
Tie between RPG and FPS

ufo
2007-03-10, 11:45 AM
What is you age? = 12

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? = 115. Sounds a bit.. untrue..

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? = 10 a day, approx.

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? = Only play on computer.

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? = 50% RPG, 30%RTS 20%FPS.

Ryuuk
2007-03-10, 11:49 AM
What is you age?

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))?
-According to that, 135

-Gaming, I play little on the weekdays but I watch my brother play Flyff and find it oddly entertaining If that counts then probably 2 hours every weekday, around 4 on Saturdays (Mostly Warcraft III, but some Guitar Hero and Devil May Cry As well) and probably 2 on Sundays. Around 16 total.

-Probably PC

-RTSs, RPGs and Action tied for second

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-10, 01:08 PM
What is you age? 26

What is your IQ? 156 (MENSA tested)

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? I play PC games for about 12-16 hours a week, I do PnP games for 4 hours a week.

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? PC

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? RPG

Khantalas
2007-03-10, 01:15 PM
What is you age?

170 (or so I was told).

Not as much as I'd like to. Around 25.

Normally PC, but recently PS 2.

ACtion, platform, strategy and RPG, as well as any crosses between these.

Pocket lint
2007-03-10, 01:41 PM
What is you age?

What is your IQ?
Not quite sure - I've never taken an official one other than the army's, and they use a different scale. I usually score around 150-160.

3 hours pen&paper gaming, another 2-odd on the computer

Computer

Strategy, adventures (not necessarily rpg)

Mc. Lovin'
2007-03-10, 01:59 PM
Thanks for posting guys, this will be really usefull, if you wish I shall post the results of the experiment here, and my grade of corse

What is you age? 14

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test)? 127

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? about 14 (wow)

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? Pc ftw

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? Fps

okpokalypse
2007-03-10, 02:05 PM
What is you age?

Via Tickle (US): 144 ; Intellectual Type: Visionary Philosopher

4 - 6 Hours Weekly.

Computer

Pen n' Paper RPG. (With Su'Doku a Close 2nd right now.).

okpokalypse
2007-03-10, 02:09 PM
A Note on IQ Testing... For purposes of his study, it would make the most sense if everyone could take the 5 minutes to do the linked IQ Test - otherwise, you're dealing with differing scales, and the statistic is useless.

(I can appreciate this because I myself did some statistics back in college, and if your population isn't gauged by a consistent means, the results are useless)

Maestro
2007-03-10, 02:19 PM
What is you age? 14

What is your IQ? 136

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 5

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? computer

lucifa
2007-03-10, 05:43 PM
What is you age? 25

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test)? 152

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 12

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? PS" / GBA

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? RPGs

Ethdred
2007-03-10, 09:46 PM
Man, I couldn't get a score out of that IQ test - maybe that says something about my IQ!

Though the questiosn in the test just confirm all my prejudices about the unreliability of IQ tests

LotharBot
2007-03-11, 02:39 PM
What is you age? 26

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? The last time I took that particular IQ test I scored about 150.

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 12 hours on D&D, 12 hours on Descent, and 6 hours on card games. 30 hours total.

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? Socially, I prefer RPG's. For adrenaline, FPS's. To just waste a few minutes, card games and puzzle games. If pressed, I'd say my current favorite is tabletop RPG.

Khantalas
2007-03-11, 03:13 PM
Tickle says my IQ is 165, though the fact is, that particular test is in English, which is not my native tongue, and the test appearantly has some proverbs and stuff. When I take an IQ test in my own language, it says my IQ is 170 (or 180, they can never be sure). Appearantly, I am some sort of weird genius.

Though I would place it no higher than 140 myself. I tend to suck at academic studies and don't have the intellect to force myself to study. Besides, those IQ tests mean very little. Even though their results mean I'm very, very intelligent and are great to brag about the results of. Ask me a simple Calculus question and see me get stumped spectacularly.

Bryn
2007-03-11, 03:21 PM
What is your age? 15

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? 135, according to the linked test.

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? (pi*7+3n)^5+42.3 recurring Call it 10 hours. Est. only, probably wildly out.

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? Strategy (both on computer and off) and RPG (off computer)

RS14
2007-03-11, 03:46 PM
IQ: 140, according to the test linked to.
How long each week: 9, maybe, on average? Usually I play a lot, but I've not played any games in the last couple of days. It's not uncommon for me to play nethack for several hours each day, but I go through phases where I don't play at all.
I play PC exclusively.
Favorite type: Roguelikes, RTS.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-11, 04:09 PM
IQ: 138 from linked test
Long: Average 10 Hours
Platform: Pc recently, PS2 previously
Type: Strategy

axraelshelm
2007-03-11, 04:40 PM
133 ah sheesh don't need a high IQ anyway and aged 24 and spend 10-13 hours playing games either roleplay or ps2 for some hack and slash.

InaVegt
2007-03-11, 05:20 PM
What is you age? as good as 17 (16th of march is my birthday, in case you want to know)

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test)? (dutch standard scale, might be different from your scales) 143 (genius level)

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? video games: ¼ hour max, PnP RPGs: at least 10 hours a week, probably closer to 20

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? PS2/Wii

daggaz
2007-03-11, 05:24 PM
29. 136. Way too long 40 hours minimum. Computer. RPG.

Toliudar
2007-03-11, 07:07 PM
What is you age? 37

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test)? 142

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 5-8

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-11, 07:35 PM
Okay... By definition, the average IQ is 100 but not only is the average here higher, but nobody here had admitted to being under 100...

Either a lot of people are lying (which I actually doubt) or here is a trend to follow up on...

LotharBot
2007-03-11, 07:55 PM
It's a widely known trend. People with high IQ's tend to gravitate toward D&D and similar "thinky" games. They also tend to gravitate toward internet forums and sophisticated "nerd humor" comics like OoTS. So you're going to see a lot of abnormally high IQ's in a place like this.

Now, that's compounded by the fact that most online IQ tests only get you very approximate results. My little sister once took one (I think it was the one posted here) and scored a 196, 6 standard deviations above the mean -- which would make her among the 10 smartest people in the world. She was fairly young at the time, and while smart, certainly isn't THAT smart. I suspect the reason she scored so high is that IQ tests often scale for age, so young intelligent people will tend to have very inflated scores. When I was in my mid-teens I regularly scored in the 170s on IQ tests, and now I score in the low 150s.

IMO your statistics would be much more reliable if you had people take an independent test that didn't account for age and just counted raw correct/incorrect results. Or something like SAT or GRE scores.

Charity
2007-03-11, 08:13 PM
What is you age? 35 last count

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? by your test 140

Video games? I'll assume so ~ 8 this is quite variable

Computer and lately Wii

I think your choice of website may skew your data horribly on this one.
RPG's

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-12, 12:07 AM
I would love to take your IQ test, but at the end there's this unending miasma of advertisements - It wouldn't be so bad except that it helpfully auto-signs me up for various junk. I have a policy about going too far with that.

Edit: I got through the miasma. By your test my score is 140 - slightly higher than my clinically tested one (136).

The average IQ is 100. That means that there are 3.5 clinically retarded people or 7 pretty slow ones to balance out Khantalas, assuming his figure is accurate. 80 is clinically retarded. 130 or so is gifted. 150 is genius level. That's to the point of doing extended calculus problems in your head, multiplying 5 digit numbers at age 2 and never, ever having to study anything because you immediately grasp every ramification of everything that passes your way. I think that whatever IQ tests are registering everyone and thier mother up in the 150's, 160's, or 170's are just a tad off maybe... or else we need to submit these findings to real, hardcore science, that DnD attracts geniuses.

Age 19

About 15 hours a week gaming.

Favorite Platform: PC

Favorite Game Genre: RPG

Jannex
2007-03-12, 12:41 AM
What is you age? 23.

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? 140 by the linked test. I was tested as a young child (IQ tests for children have different standards than tests for adults) and was told I scored 168.

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? Tabletop roleplaying games? Approximately 15 hours a week, though that varies wildly depending on how many games I'm in at any given time, and if there's a LARP event that week.

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? Lately, Gamecube (I <3 Tales of Symphonia).

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? RPG.

Khantalas
2007-03-12, 04:34 AM
However, note that Prince_of_Cats has his IQ score MENSA tested, whatever that means. His score on that test may be even above 165. Or below 156. I had that given test three times, and I had the following results in this order: 170, 160, 165.

Bah. I am not that smart, anyway. That test is rigged. Rigged, I tell you.

Dhavaer
2007-03-12, 05:10 AM
What is you age? 20 (within a month)

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? 142.

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 20-30.

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? Computer.

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? P&P RPG.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-03-12, 12:05 PM
Again thankyou soo much for posting here guys, It will really help my gcse, and although I see your side of the argument on that IQ site I cant change it now, because if i do so it will make all of the current data irrelivent, thanks for the advice. (In the apparent inevitable re-take I will be made to take I will follow your advice)

Ominous
2007-03-12, 10:32 PM
Off-Topic: An IQ over 150 can't be measured accurately by the standards used in the US. IQ is determined by comparing your intelligence to others of equal intelligence. Since there are so few people with IQs over 150, they can't get a baseline for what an IQ of for example 180 is. Basically when you have an IQ of 150 or higher, just realize that a person with your intelligence is so rare, that you can't be accurately placed.

On-Topic:
What is you age? 21

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test)? 136 (I don't trust internet IQ tests.)

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? Too many :p 20 to 40

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? Computer

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? I like both equally well.

Glundrall
2007-03-12, 10:41 PM
What is you age? 19

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test)? 149

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 10

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? P&P/Computer

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? RPG/Strategy

Caelestion
2007-03-13, 05:40 AM
Well, it seems I'm a 27-year-old Visionary Philosopher with IQ 136, although over ten years ago an education psychologist said I had an IQ of 153 (in the top 0.5% of the UK population).
I spend WAY too much time on the computer and it has to be single-person RPGs for me.

Khantalas
2007-03-13, 05:44 AM
Off-Topic: An IQ over 150 can't be measured accurately by the standards used in the US. IQ is determined by comparing your intelligence to others of equal intelligence. Since there are so few people with IQs over 150, they can't get a baseline for what an IQ of for example 180 is. Basically when you have an IQ of 150 or higher, just realize that a person with your intelligence is so rare, that you can't be accurately placed.

Bah! I know dozens of people smarter than me. That's a lie! A dirty lie, I tell you!

Zincorium
2007-03-13, 06:04 AM
IQ (according to the test): 140
Hours gaming per week: 16
Platform: PC
Games: Mostly FPS, some RPG

Out of curiosity, since I'm not really able to take an official IQ test, does anyone know how skewed the online test is? I've got a 99 on the ASVAB, so I know I'm good at multiple choice tests, but 140 and above means genius level IQ, and somehow that seems a bit off.

Bender
2007-03-13, 08:44 AM
The number of questions is too limited for anything above a certain limit (120 perhaps?) The problem is you have only a few questions wrong and the younger you are, the more intelligent you get in a test like this (an older person can't answer 10 more questions when the younger person only missed 3)

I don't know which age-scale they use here, or whether they use one at all. I also don't know whether they time it.

Also, the test is very restricted to logic and maths (edit: which happens to be what gamers are often trained in by gaming), with no really difficult questions. And the fact that it's in english biasses the results of non-native speakers.

For the purpose of a strictly statistical exercise, it doesn't matter at all, but know the results are almost meaningless.

(btw: my result was 135 for those who think I'm afraid to post it, sent the questionnaire by mail)

Fixer
2007-03-13, 09:00 AM
Since when is skillful spelled "skilful"? Silly test.

I am 34.
According to that IQ test I am 138. I have scored between 135 and 180 on previous clinically adminstered tests.

Let's see. I am a married parent with a full-time job and a two-hour commute a day. I get to play about 6-10 hours TOTAL per week on my assortment of games.

With regards to platforms, I own only a computer, Gamecube and an Xbox. I play whatever strikes my fancy with no real preference based on console. I play the games I want to play.

My favorite types of games are, in decending order of enjoyment:
1) Pen and Pencil RPGs
2) Computer/console RPGs
3) Real-time Strategy
4) Adventure/Platformer games
5) First Person Shooters
6) Everything else
Dead Last) Racing games where you cannot blow up other cars (they just irritate me)

Caelestion
2007-03-13, 09:34 AM
Since when is skillful spelled "skilful"? Silly test.

Probably when you're American and the test is British, perhaps? :)

Orzel
2007-03-13, 09:37 AM
I'm 22 but I put 23 since my bday is this week.
According to that easy test I got 133. I test higher on other IQ tests though. I don't trust this one.
I play 5-10 hours o' games a week at most.
I like RPGs, FPSs, and RTSs. I hate platformers cause I stink at jumping.

Deepblue706
2007-03-13, 10:09 AM
What is you age?

Thanks for your time :smallsmile:
If you have time at the end I'm sure that Z-Axis would really appreciate you posting in his questionnaire (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37047) too.

I am 19 years of age.

My IQ is 142, according to that. But, I think it's the cap (most of these silly online tests seem to end around there...whereas it's possible through a real test to score higher, ie PrinceofCats' Mensa test. Btw, Prince, is it worth joining? I've been considering trying out...). I don't see how this site could support a score of 149, as one person said they got...I mean, the questions are obviously intended for below-average to above-average individuals, not the likes of a universal genius, as such a score would merit.

I spend approx. 20 hours a week on the computer.

Favored Platform: Computer.

Favorite Game Type(s): I mostly enjoy playing chess (online) and Starcraft (a real-time strategy game). However, I do enjoy a handful of RPGs and Survival Horror games. Games with lotsa puzzles are cool too.

Ayrynthyn
2007-03-13, 10:33 AM
What is you age? 34

What is your IQ (according to Tickle)?

12-15

PC

RPGs/RTS/PnP

brian c
2007-03-13, 11:07 AM
Age 18 (almost 19)

IQ, from that site 138 (i haven't joined mensa, but when i was in first grade i took a mensa-accepted IQ test and got around the same thing. that was first grade though)

hours on games per week: just playing games, maybe 5-6, but if "gaming" counts being on this games forum then more like 8. it's a lot more than that during the summer though

platform: computer, gamecube (in that order)

favorite type: my favorite game changes all the time, but most of my favorites are RTS

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-13, 11:25 AM
Mensa test. Btw, Prince, is it worth joining? I've been considering trying out...
Well, once the novelty wore off, I realised that most of the local members were elitist and prone to gloating about even one point's difference. I very rarely use it for bragging rights but it is one of those things, like an award, which is nice to have but without any practical use.

Some others have found that the community in their area is very good for getting help dealing with being of above average intelligence. There is a definite trend toward depression as IQ goes up, so it can help to compare notes with others in your position.

PaleAngel
2007-03-13, 12:08 PM
What is you age?

According to the test, 135 - Fact Curator intellectual type

Hours: aprox 10-15 (not including Forum-based roleplaying which I do between being busy at work)

Platform: Tabletop RPG mostly, followed by Xbox 360 and Computer

Game: Tabletop RPG, then RPG, action/platform, sim/city building, occassionaly FPS

Wolf53226
2007-03-13, 01:22 PM
What is you age? 31

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? I usually score between 130 and 142 on that particular test...today I scored 138, I guess I am feeling smarter than normal today.

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? Less than 10

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? Computer and PS2, mostly, although occasional Atari and NES have been known to happen

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? RPG and RTS

Pocket lint
2007-03-13, 01:37 PM
Well, once the novelty wore off, I realised that most of the local members were elitist and prone to gloating about even one point's difference. I very rarely use it for bragging rights but it is one of those things, like an award, which is nice to have but without any practical use.
That's pretty much why I never joined - Mensa's standards are too low for me :smalltongue:

nivek1234
2007-03-13, 01:59 PM
IQ: 130-140 (ish)
Hrs/Week: 5-10
Favorite Genre: RPG, strategy, and racing

btw, I'm not sure how accurate your results will be if this forum is your main source of data. Most people here (I assume) play/have extensive knowledge in RPGs. This is especially true since it is in the d20 section of gaming. So this is unlikely to be a random sampling.

Also, my time spent gaming is low because of the time consumed with school/work/and other activities. Over the summer, I tend to play 25-30 hrs/week. I also think there have been studies showing the 20-30yr olds play as much (if not more) games as those of younger age (hence the increase in adult oriented games over the past years).

Caelestion
2007-03-15, 08:29 AM
That's pretty much why I never joined - Mensa's standards are too low for me :smalltongue:
That's also pretty much why my Ed Psych suggested I didn't join. He was prepared to help me sign up and all, but paying £10 and getting a boring magazine and a useless certificate didn't really appeal to the teenage me who literally had no money.

Piccamo
2007-03-15, 08:45 AM
What is you age? 21

What is your IQ? 133

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? 14

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? lately RTS

Last_resort_33
2007-03-15, 09:38 AM
IQ: according to the test, 140, but I think that that test is a bit... crap... in fact all IQ tests are. It doesn't really measure much.
Time on Games: 10 hours
Platform: A table dammit! WITH PAPER! I have not played any computer games for ages... although that WILL change when spore comes out.
Favourate game: RPG!!!!

Angela
2007-03-16, 03:15 AM
What is your age? 23

What is your IQ (here is a link to an IQ test (http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html))? 138

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? About 8 hours, although I'd like to play more.

What is the platform you play on most (e.g. computer, X-Box, PS2)? Tie between pen and paper RPG and Xbox 360

Mc. Lovin'
2007-03-17, 10:59 AM
Ok... Where to begin... I have 3 sources of information, not just giantitp, so no need to worry there, and on the subject of the test I seem to feel some negative vibes about it (it might just be me) but anyway everyone took the same tst, so it will be a fair comparison, if you are ... dumber in real life than someone else who took the test then your score will be lower than theirs. I may have to either scale the scores I get from the test down a bit (say by 20) or call them ' Tickle points' instead of an IQ score, to make it more realistic, what say you?

Deepblue706
2007-03-17, 11:23 AM
Just mention it was an IQ test provided by the website, Tickle.com.

When you say IQ alone, it would suggest a formal test with a proctor.

Morlark
2007-03-17, 11:32 PM
What is you age? 22

What is your IQ ? 140 according to that (although I do tend to be somewhat skeptical of these online tests :p)

How long do you approximately spend on games per week (In hours)? Waaay too long. Umm, maybe 40 hours? :s

What is your favourite type of game (e.g. Rpg, Fps)? RTS, although RPG comes a very close second.