PDA

View Full Version : How must i go on? Why must i go on?

jabberwocky9
2014-09-09, 08:43 AM
I have a 9th lvl character; Ranger 3/ Barbarian 1/ Fighter 1/ Horizon Walker 4. Considering DM restrictions due to campaign setting I will not be able to progress to Planar Terrain abilities. What would be a good class to add and/or continue with.

STR 20, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 10

- (flaw; shaky-2 to range attacks)
- (human) combat expertise
- 1st exotic weapon (meteor hammer), 1st favored enemy (humanoid, specific according to campaign), track, wild empathy, combat style (two wpn), endurance
- 3rd combat reflex
- (barbarian) illiteracy, rage 1/day
- 5th power attack
- 6th improve bull rush
- (horizon walker) terrain mastery: underground, desert, forest, mountain
- 9th shock trooper

Gwendol
2014-09-09, 09:04 AM
You probably want to add imp trip to your list of feats. Followed by knock-down perhaps? What kind of barbarian are you by the way? Lion totem spirit whirling frenzy, or vanilla?

At this point, more fighter levels (dungeon crasher variant) looks like a very good idea.

jabberwocky9
2014-09-09, 10:11 AM
You probably want to add imp trip to your list of feats. Followed by knock-down perhaps? What kind of barbarian are you by the way? Lion totem spirit whirling frenzy, or vanilla?

At this point, more fighter levels (dungeon crasher variant) looks like a very good idea.

I took Lion spirit from complete champion to get pounce ability. I was thinking more fighter levels also to get prerequisite to weapon master prc. ?...

jabberwocky9
2014-09-09, 10:31 AM
I took Lion spirit from complete champion to get pounce ability. I was thinking more fighter levels also to get prerequisite to weapon master prc. ?...

Planning to take imp trip. Oops, excuse me. I did take Improve trip as part of taking a flaw. I was also looking into Occult Slayer. What say you?

Gwendol
2014-09-09, 11:20 AM
I still think dungeon crasher fighter will work great. Also knock-down.

Gwazi Magnum
2014-09-09, 01:39 PM
I do need to ask, what is the focus/reasoning behind this character?

From your choice of weapon he seems very trip focused, but the feats and classes don't much seem to support that.

jabberwocky9
2014-09-09, 04:06 PM
I'll take your advice Gwendol.

"I hope you're not trying to be insulting Gwazi."

Chambers
2014-09-09, 05:57 PM
I have a 9th lvl character; Ranger 3/ Barbarian 1/ Fighter 1/ Horizon Walker 4. Considering DM restrictions due to campaign setting I will not be able to progress to Planar Terrain abilities. What would be a good class to add and/or continue with.

That's really too bad, the Planar Terrain Mastery abilities are the coolest parts of that class. Did you know that going into Horizon Walker?

You've got a pretty standard Pounce/Shocktrooper melee character, so offensive capability is more or less taken care of. Fighter (Dungeon Crasher) is good enough for the full 6 levels of Fighter. Occult Slayer is also a decent prestige class for warriors because of the defensive capstone.

jabberwocky9
2014-09-09, 10:05 PM
That's really too bad, the Planar Terrain Mastery abilities are the coolest parts of that class. Did you know that going into Horizon Walker?

You've got a pretty standard Pounce/Shocktrooper melee character, so offensive capability is more or less taken care of. Fighter (Dungeon Crasher) is good enough for the full 6 levels of Fighter. Occult Slayer is also a decent prestige class for warriors because of the defensive capstone.

Yes, I thought so too. DM must have not researched it very well, or felt that I threw a monkey wrench into his schemes. However, he is letting me drop the Horizon Walker levels to choose another Prc. If I so choose. I am definitely tweaking my character now. I decided to keep with Meteor Hammer weapon and trip idea so I'm thinking of adding another fighter/barbarian level and going w/ Occult Slayer or Dungeon Crasher. Leaning more to Dungeon Crasher.

Do you think Exotic Weapon Master would be a better route?

Gwendol
2014-09-10, 02:46 AM
If you can switch out Horizon Walker you can probably have both!

Ranger 3/Barb 1/Fighter (Dungeon Crasher) 2/Occult Slayer 5/Fighter (Dungeon Crasher) 4/X 5

Your ranger levels mean you should be able to meet the skill pre-reqs easily. That said, I strongly recommend you look at the mage slayer line of feats for this one: they will sure come in handy.

Chambers
2014-09-10, 06:28 AM
Yeah, drop Horizon Walker like a bad habit. Dungeoncrasher + Occult Slayer is good. Along with Mage Hunter take the Arcanist Favored Enemy from Complete Mage.

jabberwocky9
2014-09-10, 06:41 AM
Looks good.

Gwendol
2014-09-10, 08:29 AM
Let's see. There is a strong reason for dropping the exotic weapon for something simpler, like a guisarme, but I leave that up to you. I've added another flaw (your choice) to get combat reflexes in early. In my experience tripping is nice, but you can't rely on it always due to the enemy not being trippable (too big, no legs, flying and what not). With range you want enemies to trigger AoO's as much as possible.
I'm struggling with this build a bit. I'd really like to drop the third level of ranger and pick up another level of Barbarian (wolf totem) which will net you Imp trip as a bonus feat instead of endurance (which is no longer needed with horizon walker gone). If you do that you can drop combat expertise, and select knock-down instead, thus freeing up another feat slot. You still need to find room for Blind-Fight and Pierce magical concealment further down the line.

1 (Ranger): Ex weapon prof (Meteor hammer), Weapon Focus (Human), Imp initiative (flaw), Track (Ranger bonus), Combat reflexes (flaw)
2 (Ranger): TWF (Ranger style)
3 (Ranger): Endurance (Ranger bonus), Mage slayer
4 (Barb): Rage, pounce, etc
5 (DC Fighter): PA (FBF)
6 (DC Fighter): Imp Bull rush, Damage for crushing enemies into walls, etc
7 (OS): Magical defence +1, weapon bond
8 (OS): Vicious strike, MoM 1/day
9 (OS): Aura vision, MD +2, Shock trooper
10 (OS): MoM 2/day, Non-detection
11 (OS): Blank, MD +3
12 (DC fighter): Combat exp
13 (DC fighter): Imp trip (FBF)
14 (DC fighter):
15 (DC fighter): DC damage increase

jabberwocky9
2014-09-10, 11:43 AM
Let's see. There is a strong reason for dropping the exotic weapon for something simpler, like a guisarme, but I leave that up to you. I've added another flaw (your choice) to get combat reflexes in early. In my experience tripping is nice, but you can't rely on it always due to the enemy not being trippable (too big, no legs, flying and what not). With range you want enemies to trigger AoO's as much as possible.
I'm struggling with this build a bit. I'd really like to drop the third level of ranger and pick up another level of Barbarian (wolf totem) which will net you Imp trip as a bonus feat instead of endurance (which is no longer needed with horizon walker gone). If you do that you can drop combat expertise, and select knock-down instead, thus freeing up another feat slot. You still need to find room for Blind-Fight and Pierce magical concealment further down the line.

1 (Ranger): Ex weapon prof (Meteor hammer), Weapon Focus (Human), Imp initiative (flaw), Track (Ranger bonus), Combat reflexes (flaw)
2 (Ranger): TWF (Ranger style)
4 (Barb): Rage, pounce, etc
5 (DC Fighter): PA (FBF)
6 (DC Fighter): Imp Bull rush, Damage for crushing enemies into walls, etc
7 (OS): Magical defence +1, weapon bond
8 (OS): Vicious strike, MoM 1/day
9 (OS): Aura vision, MD +2, Shock trooper
10 (OS): MoM 2/day, Non-detection
11 (OS): Blank, MD +3
12 (DC fighter): Combat exp
13 (DC fighter): Imp trip (FBF)
14 (DC fighter):
15 (DC fighter): DC damage increase

I get the struggle and it looks good. I understand about 3rd level for Ranger since I really don't need Endurance. I have a bad urge of wanting to add Rogue in there, but why? Because I always play a split level Rogue. Rogue 1/ Ranger 2/ Barbarian 2/ Fighter 2/ OS 2. Never mind that. Right now, I can only get up to 9th level. I like your build except receiving Imp Trip so late.
Also, Ranger 3/ Barbarian 2/ Fighter 2/ OS 2 would get me in line of:

1 (Ranger): Ex weapon prof (Meteor hammer), Weapon Focus (Human), Track (Ranger bonus), Combat reflexes (flaw), Improve Initiative (flaw)
"Really don't like to pick up another flaw but..."
4 (Barb) totem, pounce
5 (Barb) wolf totem
6 (fighter) Improve Bull rush
7 (fighter) Knock down
then cont. w/ OS

Knock Down might be difficult to get past the DM with since we don't have Demigod/Deities or he may misunderstand it.
I do like the Wolf Totem idea but losing some of the Barb abilities is difficult to let go.

Gwendol
2014-09-10, 12:19 PM
Knock down is in the SRD under divine feats, but with the general tag (no divine ranks required).