PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Personality Types? How to determine how a dragon should behave....

Solace of Tides
2014-09-09, 10:22 AM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I was hoping someone would be able to brainstorm some ideas on how a particular dragon should act towards different people? What are their goals, what would they use people for, etc.?

I have looked in the draconomicon & the monster manual, but haven't found the information I'm looking for. I am working with a lawful neutral human cleric/artificer possessed by a silver dragon spirit & a chaotic evil drow assassin possessed by a green dragon spirit. They will be fighting Black dragon in a swamp, Red dragon in a trapped mountain pass, & a Blue dragon in the desert/salt flats. I need to know how these dragons would interact with them. Examples of conversations they would have would be appreciated. I'm not sure how it would work with the dragon spirit possessing them.

Basically, if they came face to face with one of these dragons how would that dragon act, what would it do, probably? & how would they get out of it? Need help with that part. What would he/she do how would they do it & why? Thanks!

VoxRationis
2014-09-09, 10:39 AM
Chromatic or metallic, all dragons share the traits of vanity and possessiveness. They all, not without good reason, consider themselves to be superior beings worthy of deference, even reverence. People do not just drop in to talk to them, unless the dragon has established that this is an okay thing to do beforehand. Similarly, they all love treasure. Even the good ones. The good ones are more likely to find diplomatic solutions to the problem of limited treasure and unlimited demand, however.

Segev
2014-09-09, 11:08 AM
Assuming the chromatic dragons recognize what it is that's facing them...

Black Dragon

These are known for being sneaky predators who lurk and watch and wait. They actually have a fair bit in common with Green dragons for tactics, preferring to be seemingly omni-present forces within their swamps (as greens do with forests). The black dragon therefore likely will whisper to them from the shadows, misdirect with will-o-wisps (or Dancing Lights that look like them), and (here's a difference from greens) create water-traps and quicksand bogs into which they try to lure the interlopers.

It might start off with a faux civility towards the drow possessed by a green dragon, asking their purpose there and maybe trying to strike a bargain. At the same time, the presence of a fellow "master of my terrain" will cause him to want to show off his ability to be everywhere and know everything.

He will want to terrify the silver dragon and its host; if it can't hit it off amicably with the green, the black dragon will likely mock them both for their puny appearances, and how their clumsy humanoid bodies bumble and stumble through the natural grace of the terrain.

Red Dragon

By far the most arrogant of dragonkind, the red will openly mock and taunt the two spirits reduced to possessing "lesser forms." It will stay out of reach and lord its power over them. It will take and create every advantage it can, and thoroughly enjoy exploiting them with relish and plenty of gloating. If anything, it might expose itself by trying to prolong their humiliation by letting them survive just long enough to see the next piece of its brilliant victory plan.

It may tauntingly offer to let them live in return for their hoards. It may even keep its word, depending on how it feels and what precautions are taken, but it won't foolishly buy lies. Red Dragons don't have to lie often, but they certainly appreciate the value of a good one and thus are not going to be fooled by the lies of lesser creatures. And to a red dragon, EVERYTHING is a lesser creature.

Blue Dragon

If I remember correctly, these dragons are almost as fond of riddles as copper dragons. They enjoy soaring through the wide, clear skies over their desert lairs. They also are honorable, for evil dragons. It likely will open with a warning shot and a demand for tribute and explanation for their presence. Less likely to mock (unless irritated by a lack of respect from pitiful mortal-possessing dragon spirits), it will be open to bargains, especially since these ARE dragons in spirit, even if they've somehow trapped themselves in humanoid shapes. But as long as it can maintain a position of strength and power, it will negotiate as if it holds all the cards, and it will be ruthless about exploiting that.

Red Fel
2014-09-09, 12:18 PM
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I was hoping someone would be able to brainstorm some ideas on how a particular dragon should act towards different people? What are their goals, what would they use people for, etc.?

I have looked in the draconomicon & the monster manual, but haven't found the information I'm looking for. I am working with a lawful neutral human cleric/artificer possessed by a silver dragon spirit & a chaotic evil drow assassin possessed by a green dragon spirit. They will be fighting Black dragon in a swamp, Red dragon in a trapped mountain pass, & a Blue dragon in the desert/salt flats. I need to know how these dragons would interact with them. Examples of conversations they would have would be appreciated. I'm not sure how it would work with the dragon spirit possessing them.

Basically, if they came face to face with one of these dragons how would that dragon act, what would it do, probably? & how would they get out of it? Need help with that part. What would he/she do how would they do it & why? Thanks!

Well, let's look at it this way.

First, as VoxRationis points out, Dragons (somewhat fairly) consider themselves to be superior beings. Certain Dragons (generally Metallic) view other races as one would view pets or small children; their antics are amusing and at times frustrating, they are to be pitied or taught or gently chastised, but they're not on "our level." Other Dragons (usually Chromatic) view other races as somewhere between property and cattle; at best, the lesser races exist for the amusement, entertainment, and sustenance of Dragonkind; at worst, they exist simply because no Dragon has bothered to snuff them out yet.

Now, imagine you encountered a cow, and this cow believed itself to be human. Or worse, it could actually prove that it was human, simply in the shame of a cow. How would you react? Even the most charitable of people would react with a certain level of horror or disgust. That's a Metallic response - they would naturally be horrified that a fellow Dragon's superior nature was sullied in such a manner. A Chromatic response would most likely either mocking superiority or revolted outrage, probably followed by something brutal that need not be described in great detail.

Once we get past first impressions, Segev has it down pretty well. Chromatics are no fans of Metallics, and your Silver will be lucky to escape intact. But by the same token, there is much less "brotherhood" among Chromatics than there might be among Metallics; the thing your Green has in his favor is that he is not physically a dragon, and therefore comes across as completely non-threatening. Had he been in the form of a Dragon, the Chromatics might respond more territorially; but as it stands, they might turn him lose with simply a barrage of mockery and insults.

Of course, insult their pride and it's off to the races. And by races, I mean murder.